“Great vacation!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just spent a week with family (adult children) and had a wonderful time. Resort is immaculately clean and well cared for, staff members are unfailingly friendly and gracious. Never had a problem getting beach or poolside chairs or fresh towels, and pool areas were never crowded. Really recommend this resort for a relaxing vacation!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

6 Thank Walter B
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you.

It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your holidays among us so much. We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future as we look forward to welcoming you back.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,420)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Christchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Fantastic hotel, probably the best I've stayed in. Staff all very friendly. Pool bar service excellent and buffets very good.
The whole experience was great.

The four bookable restaurants, Surf & Turf; Italian; Japanese & Gourmet were OK, but I've had FAR better food elsewhere and to be honest I felt the buffet was better

Lunches were good with a restaurant next to the beach in addition to the main buffet and also a grill/BBQ area outside the main buffet. Most days I had lobster or steak - and the steaks were great - and HUGE!

As other people have remarked, the main downside is the 'reserving' of sunbeds. We were out before 08:00 each day so always found one, but by 8 most were reserved and many stayed empty all day even though they were reserved. I can't understand why (with so many negative reviews about this here) the hotel doesn't address this issue.

If it wasn't such a long flight from UK we'd definitely be back there again. As it is, we'll certainly be looking at other Iberostar hotels closer to home in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Peter D
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear guest,

We greatly appreciate the time you took to review your stay at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso and to share it on Trip Advisor.

Thank you so much for your favorable comments about our hotel including the food and beverage services and also the friendliness of our staff.

Your opinion is very important for us, and your constructive review about our four a la carte restaurants versus our buffets is something we are certainly going to analyze with our Executive Chef in order to look for improvements and surpass your expectations.

Regarding the reservation of sun beds, we would like to mention that we are working hard on developing a new strategy to avoid this inconvenient towel game. We have posted some announcements stating that it is not allowed to reserve chairs and not use them, plus we have also began to share some more announcements informing our guests that if we see a sun bed reserved that has not been used, after 2 hours the belongings will be removed and well kept living the sun bed free for guests that want to use them. Moreover we have assigned a pool concierge that would be pleased to assist all our guests to find a great place whenever they need it.

We always strive to make every experience with us an unforgettable one, and really appreciate your encouraging review. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again, it will be our pleasure to serve you.

Best regards,

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Just spent two weeks at the Grand for my honeymoon. We had been there for the first time about two years ago and we actually found the service better this time around. We had an ocean front room which I would highly recommend. The grounds are lush and beautiful and extremely well cared for. Everyone from our butlers to room staff, to waiters and ground keepers are truly wonderful, everyone is warm and friendly. The buffets are always good so whether we got reservations at one of the restaurants didn't really matter. After speaking with the restaurant staff, there are a lot of people who make reservations and don't show up, so if you can't get a reservation, just go to the restaurant after 7:30 and try and get a table.

We had a wonderful time and would highly recommend staying at this resort.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are spectacular!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank DebBrennan
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to express our gratitude for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us; it is always a pleasure for us to receive positive comments like yours.

It is great to know you loved the buffet, however you cannot miss visiting our a la carte restaurants on your next visit!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Paraiso for other great vacation, you can be sure we will always do our best to serve you.

Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

My mom and I upgraded to this resort after spending one day at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach. It was an expensive choice, but we were so glad we made the move!

Rooms: We had an oceanfront room, which obviously had an amazing view, but many of the rooms offer great views of the pools/grounds. The balconies are large, with a couch and swinging chair, and a light for reading in the evening. My mom enjoyed the jacuzzi bath. They offer a turn down service every night, and even a pillow menu (try the butterfly pillow)! There is a DVD player in the room with a selection of DVDs to borrow, but unfortunately our DVD player didn't work. (They would have fixed it, but we only went to use it on our last night.) The lock on our balcony door had to be fixed two nights in a row, but they were very quick to send a maintenance employee both times. You are provided bathrobes and slippers (although we were missing slippers in our room).

Hotel/Grounds: Beautiful. Everything is meticulously maintained and cleaned at this resort.

Food: We ordered breakfast in our room almost every morning and really enjoyed that option. A la carte meals are offered every night. We liked the Japanese the best and went twice. The only a la carte we didn't like very much was Italian. The buffets were good, with many options. Room service is available any time. We tried room service lunch one day, but were disappointed. Drinks were great - served in glassware, not plastic cups, and not watered down. Oswaldo at the Japanese a la carte makes a fun champagne drink.

Service: Excellent. Staff are friendly and professional. Every staff member seemed dedicated to their job. The servers were great and seemed very experienced. Staff circulate around the beach and pools to offer drinks consistently.

Beach/Pools: The resort offers two pools - the main pool and the quiet pool. We didn't spend any time at the quiet pool, but some at the main pool, which was very nice. There are jacuzzis at both pools - I wish the temperature had been hotter - it's not much warmer than the pool. The pools are both beautiful and the main pool offers a view of the beach as well. The beach is very relaxing, with umbrellas and a choice of beach beds or chairs. Towels are easily accessible (unlike some other resorts), and you can take as many as you like. Make sure to return your towels when you're finished with them - staff members spent a lot of time picking up used towels.

Entertainment: We enjoyed going to the shows. Some of the shows offer a glimpse of Mexican history and culture, which was very interesting. It's obvious that staff put a lot of effort into the shows, and the costumes are beautiful. A good variety of shows were offered, and all were very entertaining.

Extras: We got pedicures at the Spa at the shopping centre and had a great experience. The staff did a great job and the atmosphere is very relaxing.

Tips: This resort offers a more relaxing vacation. If you're a younger group and are looking for a more lively atmosphere, this might not be the best choice.

Try breakfast in the room. You fill out a menu checklist the night before and put it on your door - you can also pick the time you'd like it served.

Order a specialty coffee at the Gourmet restaurant - it's a fun experience; they use fire...

Don't skip the Japanese a la carte, and try the Hibachi option.

Make sure you bring enough sunscreen/tanning lotion because it's very expensive at the store (and I think in Mexico in general)...around $25 for a regular size bottle.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank Emma S
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for your kind words, it is wonderful to know you had a great time with us and that the upgrade to IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso was worth it.

We are grateful you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: the rooms, grounds, the buffet, our Japanese restaurant, beach and specially our friendly and efficient staff. It is always motivating for the staff to receive comments like yours, please be sure that we will share them with them as we recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests.

As regards of the temperature of at the tubs, please let us inform you that we have a specific standard temperature of our hot tubs, which is 32ºC, but whenever our guests ask to have it a little bit warmer we can always do it.

Once more, thank you for your time and very kind review; it will be a real pleasure to welcome you back for your next vacation.

Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

The Iberostar Grand is a very nice hotel. The rooms and the amenities are gorgeous. The bathroom was super nice with marble and glass and a jacuzzi tub....the whole nine yards! They have thought of some nice additional touches like DVDs to borrow and a big comfy swing on the patio...it definitely a 5 star hotel.

The pool is beautiful. They actually have two pools, the main pool (awesome) and a quiet pool (which we didn't use so I can't comment on). The beach is very nice too! They are nice thatched roof huts to lay under, the sand is soft and white, and the water is that gorgeous Caribbean blue.

I have two complaints about the hotel: the food and the "fun".

Food: granted I had very high expectations, so maybe I was setting myself if failure, but the food was not very good. Breakfast Buffett was actually very good and that, to me, was where the good ended. There was room service available 24hrs, which was nice, but it was just ok. Dinner Buffett better, but not what you would expect from a so-called 5-star, very expensive, resort. Like I said, maybe my expectations were too high. But overall, I gave the food a 5 put of 10.
* my favorite food item was the tacos as the shopping center. Best food we had there!

Fun: so we didn't find out until our last day, that there were any activities, on the beach, or otherwise, to do. The staff on the beach and at the pool were very nice to bring food and drinks, and magazines, and even once I saw they try and organize some games, but it was just missing something to make it "lively". Maybe they needed some music? I don't know. The beach next door had tons of people and kayaks and sailboats and beach activities but none of it trickled over to the grand. Don't get me wrong, everything was very nice and relaxing and quiet, just not that "fun".

The biggest plus of this hotel: the service. By far the best of any hotel I have been to and the only reason I would ever even consider coming back. Each and every staff member went out of their way to get you anything you needed or just to even check on you and make sure you had everything you could possibly want. They were friendly, genuine, eager, and hard working. Everyone from the bellman, the butlers, the concierge, the housekeeping, the waiters, EVERY staff member was amazing and really created a great experience for us.

Tip: tipping. I have been to other all inclusives where tipping was not only not necessary, but frowned upon. That is not the case here. Tipping is definitely expected. It's also greatly appreciated and no one would ever give you a hard time or bad service if you didn't tip. But you can tell they expect it. And the service is so good that you then feel bad if you don't tip everyone who helps you. And there are a lot of the, (bellman who take you on golf carts, the waiters on beach and restaurants, the omelette makers, the butlers, the housekeeping, etc) so bring a big ol' wad of ones with you.

Overall, very nice hotel. Would I go back? Probably not unless it was on someone else's dime, but that's probably more just because I would want to try some place new, not because I didn't enjoy it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JamesAndAbbyMelad
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share your experience.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your vacation and we are grateful that you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: the beach and our friendly and efficient staff. It is always motivating for our team to receive comments like yours, please be sure that we will share with them that they were part of your happiness.

However, we are concerned to read that our food offering did not meet your expectations. We have already shared it with our Executive chef for his consideration. He continuously strives to offer the best quality so your comments will be useful. If you could give us more information on what items you did not like, it would be greatly appreciated, as our guests’ feedback help us achieve our main goal, which is your complete satisfaction.

We would like to thank you also for your comments regarding the entertainment, we will make sure the department in charge receives your feedback; this is what make us improve.

We hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso and show you in future visits that we improve day after day thanks to our guests’ feedback.

Iberostar Mexico
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We travelled to the Grand Paraiso in January as party of five which included my elderly father who is confined to a wheelchair and blind,,, He had the trip of a lifetime,, the staff treated us like royalty, they were there offering help before we even had a chance to ask. Our butlers Charly and Trini,,,were exceptional. Pool staff went over and above and the Star staff, Jayzee and group kept us entertained. We requested the handicapped suite and they could not confirm that it would be available, which caused us some stress as it was an absolute must for my Dad, but thank goodness we were able to get it and it was perfect. My Dad wants to go again,,, so we are planning another trip for April!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Beth O
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your visit and also for writing your review about your experience at our hotel.

We really appreciate your comments; they make us feel very proud of our work and of our team. We are very happy to know you all had a fantastic stay with us.

Be sure our staff will receive your feedback and we will congratulate Charly, Trini and Jayzee for the great job they did to make you feel like the royalty you are.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on April. We are honored to be considered for your future plans!

Kind regards,

Concepcion
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

We've been in Grand Pta.Cana and Montego Bay but this was the best hotel by far. Gabriel Rodriguez is one of the managers and we met him in Jamaica ..just like 2 years ago he was very kind to us, and always had the time for a little conversation. We really appreciate it. Food, general services, concierge, drinks (including chilean wine) were great. We got a Villa, close to the beach with our own yard so nice!!!! best room ever Everyday I was in aquaerobics and then enjoying my non alcohol drinks by the swimming pool, and my husband happy with tequila and cheladas made by Alberto at the same time. Had a massage by the beach that was heaven. Perfect place to be before becoming parents!!!! but It doesn't really matter how old you are ... this place it's great for every moment of your life. We'll be back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ClauditaConcepcion
Dear Guest,

Congratulations for your future parenthood!! Thank you for your delightful review. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us to the fullest.

We consider it to be a great honor to have had the opportunity to serve you and the fact that you endorsed our property highly; it is very motivating for our Managers and Staff to keep on going the extra mile. We will forward your kind comment to Mr Gabriel Rodriguez, he will be happy to hear from you.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed our services and facilities including aqua aerobics, food and beverages.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon!

Best regards,

Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,459 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,816 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!