“1st visit - Lived up to expectations!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“1st visit - Lived up to expectations!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Sorry for the novel, but I want to be thorough and hope to be helpful for those trying to make a decision. My husband and I just arrived back home after our first trip to IB Grand Paraiso. The resort does an exceptional job of delivering what it is designed to deliver and exceeds almost every standard in the all-inclusive world. I can absolutely understand why it is rated the #1 all inclusive on Trip Advisor. I agree with the previous reviewers who can’t understand how anyone could leave the resort feeling like it deserved a 1 or 2 star rating. Right before we left for our trip, some of the recent negative reviews made me a little nervous. However, now that I’ve been to the Grand, I honestly cannot fathom how these people were able to have such a negative experience at such a superb resort.

Occupancy/demographics – 80% occupancy for the first few days, 100% occupancy for the last few. The resort never felt crowded. When we walked down the beach to check out Secrets, it felt way more crowded than the Grand did on the busiest day of our stay. Even though there were two corporate groups the last few days of our stay, the overall atmosphere wasn’t killed. The vibe shifted a bit since there were more people just hanging out in friend-type groups, and less couples, but it was still romantic. Hubby is mid-30’s, I’m 26 and we felt like there were a wide variety of ages represented. We met many older couples with grown children, but also many fellow honeymooners and younger couples. We also noticed several families traveling with grown children. There were some more serious partiers who seemed to congregate around the pool bar, so if you’re into that you can find it, but there was no Spring Break trashy type partying going on. If you want quiet, it is easily found, but it’s also okay if you want to let lose a little more. We didn’t go to the disco in the shopping center but heard that it was a little too Spring break-y. When I went to the bathroom there during the day the cleaners were collecting cups of throw up. I did enough of that in college, so we stayed away. If that’s your thing, go for it. We did venture to the family friendly part of the resort complex out of curiosity, but we promptly abandoned ship and returned to the tranquility of the Grand. We left our almost 2 yr old at home, so I think kids are awesome and know how they can be….but…it was definitely a much different atmosphere over there.

Service – Best service I have had anywhere! It seems that the staff members truly take pride in what they do and their warmth felt genuine. I can’t think of one staff member who didn’t live up to the standard. All staff members should be commended, but there are a few who deserve to be recognized for exceptional service. Foremost is building 70 butler, Charly. He was not only personable and competent and provided a great check-in experience, but he went out of his way to do me a favor that ensured I had a great stay. Being the airhead I can be, I forgot my contact case. After looking for one in the Grand lobby shop to no avail, we requested a ride to the resort complex’s shopping center. Charly showed up to give us a ride. On the way, he asked if we were looking for something. After I told him, he walked through the shops with us and asked the shop staff if they had anything. No one had a case, so he volunteered to go to a shop in Playa Del Carmen after he got off at 7:30 that night. He said if he could find one, he’d bring it when he came in at 7 the next morning. The next morning, I found Charly waiting with a contact case, and contact solution “in case I had forgot that too.” We paid him for the purchase and then some, but I was blown away that after a long day at work, when he had to be at work again in less than 12 hours (also, with a 1.5 yr old waiting at home!), he offered to go above and beyond to help my stupid self. I really cannot express my gratitude enough. To top it off, Charly also arranged a bubble bath in our room that evening, and arrange surprised birthday decorations in our room the day before we left (left on my b-day). I never mentioned my birthday, but the hotel takes a copy of your passport upon arrival so I believe that was where they got the info. I also suspect Charly may have had something do with the birthday candle and message on my dessert and a happy birthday song from the Mariachi band at the Mexican restaurant that night. If it was someone else’s doing than I would like to extend my thanks to them as well. Other exceptional staff members were Daniel at the lobby bar who is really funny and makes the best drinks….try a Royal F-word. (side note: I have heard through another Trip Advisor member’s blog that he would prefer to work pool bar, hubby and I think he’d make a great addition there), Joel who provides towel service, magazines and sunscreen on the beach all day and is very friendly and interesting to talk to, the ladies at the building 70 concierge desk (sorry I forgot my paper with names on it), Manuel aka Eduardo who served us at La Brisa at lunch one day and had us laughing the whole time, our server at the French restaurant, and the black suited man who made us the Mayan coffee at Toni’s.

Room - Oceanfront room 7051… top floor, perfect unobstructed view and location. The room is convenient since it is directly across the hall from the elevator. The rooms have a door that can be closed off from the entry way and it kept all loud noises out. If you can swing it, the Oceanfront rooms are worth the expense. Our overall experience wouldn't have been diminished had we stayed in an interior room, but the oceanfront room truly completed the experience.

Food - 4/5 stars. Again, remember you’re at an all-inclusive, but the food overall is very good. My husband and I were both satisfied even though he prefers very plain tastes, and I enjoy more complex, exotic dishes. My only complaint out of our whole stay is that the Italian restaurant was a disappointment. When we return (hopefully soon), we will not eat there again. It was way too salty, and the atmosphere was off. With some finessing, it could be much better. Favorites were Toni's and the French restaurant, followed closely by the Japanese, and the Mexican restaurant. The Mexican restaurant was very good, but as it just opened up a week or two ago, you can tell there are some kinks in service that need to be worked out. Also, some of the fellow diners thought the tequila shots at the door were mandatory, which led to a comical experience. Side Note: Prior to arriving to the resort, I noticed several reviewers who were disappointed by the lack of Mexican food at the resort. The management is responding, as not only did they open a Mexican restaurant, but there were also numerous Mexican options on the breakfast and lunch buffets (did not eat dinner at the buffets). This is just one example of how I witnessed management taking an active role to address the complaints of guests and correct the experience (are you reading this 1 star UK reviewer?!). The situation also illustrates how subjective certain aspects of a vacation experience are as, despite my continued efforts to fix this character flaw, my husband isn’t a big Mexican food fan. He was actually disappointed by TOO much Mexican food.

Anyway, I’ll quit rambling on and conclude the review with a few suggestions for future visitors:
- bring water shoes! The beach is BEAUTIFUL but it is rocky in the water. I really enjoy swimming in the ocean, and was glad I thought to bring water shoes. I personally prefer a wavy ocean, but if you want a beach with calm waters this is not it. You can walk down further to Maroma which is only *slightly* more beautiful, but has fewer rocks upon entry to the ocean, and is less wavy.
- Tip the staff!! No, I don’t work for the resort, but the workers here deserve a tip every now and then. I was very surprised at how many people didn’t tip, especially since I’ve seen far more guests tip at Mexican resorts of much lower caliber, with much worse service. IMO, if you can afford the vacation to the Grand, you can afford to tip!
- Don’t talk politics LOUDLY and belligerently at the lobby bar. I don’t care how much you love Ronald Regan and want to blame Obama for everything. Relax, you’re on vacation! It was a minor annoyance to us, but we did witness other guests leave because of the guy referenced above. Simple consideration for others goes a long way…
- Smile, relax and enjoy! If a high strung person like me could only find one real complaint with the resort, you will not be disappointed!

To Management if you’re reading:
- A beach bar/casual dining option would complete the resort. The beach service is decent, but it’d be nice to have the option to grab a quick drink or get a bite to eat. We felt underdressed the day we went to La Brisa directly from the beach in our swimsuits and cover-ups, hubby wasn’t interested in the grilled options at the other buffet.
- Room service selection could be a little more extensive.
- Carry contact cases in the shop (just kidding…kind of).
- Recognize what amazing people you have working for you! They truly make the experience unbeatable.
Thank you for a great experience, we hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: 7051....beautiful unobstructed view, near elevator but not noisy, great butlers!
15 Thank Lkjrlm
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out your precious time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us.

It is nice to read that we met your expectations and that you noticed that we continuously try to surpass them. Charly, Daniel, Joel, Manuel, Eduardo and all our team feel very proud and happy to know they were part of your great experience, we appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge their efforts, we have no doubt they will be motivated by your kind words. Guest satisfaction is our main goal at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso, and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

We have taken note of your comments and we are truly sorry that you were not happy with the food quality of our Italian restaurant; our main goal is to offer our guests with a unique and special experience where dishes are prepared at the moment so we can provide freshness and quality along with a personalized service. We have already shared your feedback with our Executive Chef for his consideration.

We would like to thank you for the recommendations and we sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso soon!

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,460)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I just completed my 18th visit to the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paradise! I was there from April 11th through April 18th. Previously, I was there in November of 2013.

I am amazed that this resort just keeps getting better each time I visit it!! Since my November visit, I noticed the following new items:
Bar glasses in the Lobby Bar
Ginger Ale
Putting green poolside
More pool lounge chairs with new cushions
More sun beds with newly adeded cabanas
New palapa’s (grass roof huts) on the beach
New Mexican Restaurant
New juice machine for breakfast
There has been some discussion from past reviewers on the pool towel chair issue. The pool towel chair game is resolved! When you check in you will receive a piece of paper that states:
Dear Guest,
In order to provide a better service and meet the needs of all our guests, we kindly ask you to not reserve sun beds with personal effects, so that other guests can enjoy this service too. Items that are found on sun beds from 8:00 am for more than 2 hours without their owners being present, will be removed and handed over to our security team.

The luxury, quality and selection of food, premium shelf liquors, daily activities, pools and first class nightly shows make this a truly first class resort. Everybody gives their 110% effort to make sure this is all possible! Every single worker is dedicated in their job and will go out of their way to make sure you are enjoying your visit at this resort!

I would like to give special recognition to the following people:
Mr. Ricardo (Head Bell Captain)
Ms. Joanna (Front Desk Manager)
Mr. Raul (Public Relations Manager)
Mr. Victor (Head Butler)
Mr. Alex and Mr. Daniel (Lobby Bar Bartenders)
Mr. Carlos (Charly) Bartender and Waiter
Mr. Marcelino Bartender and Waiter
Ms. Olivia (Chef and expert on making egg omelets)

The manager of this fabulous resort is Mr. Rafael Carmona. He does an outstanding job to make sure everything is absolutely perfect. You will notice him throughout your stay because he does stop and talk to the guests. His assistant manager is Mr. Gabriel Rodriguez. This man walks all over this beautiful resort to make sure everything is running smoothly. He has an eye for paying close attention to detail! The newly hired second assistant manager is Mr. Marti Ozona’s. He is a very nice person and is being trained by the best management team possible!

All I can say is that you need to visit this first class resort!! I highly recommend this resort!! You will see for yourself why this outstanding resort has been voted three times already from Trip Advisor as the world’s number one all inclusive resort in the world!

Room Tip: Ocean front room are the best!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
13 Thank Gary T
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your delightful review; we sincerely appreciate your loyalty to our hotel. Your comments really make us feel proud of the service we offer at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay every time you have visited us and that it just keeps getting better. We aim to create memories that last a lifetime and provide unforgettable experiences to our guests, so we are honored to see that we have reached our goal with you. Your special mention to our staff members is also greatly appreciated; we certainly recognize that they play a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, but reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more.

We appreciate your last visit and we are already looking forward to serving you once again at your home away from home.

Kind Regards,

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed in an oceanfront room. Terrific room and view. A 24 hour concierge was there if you needed it. It would be hard to fault this resort for anything unless you were trying to nit-pick. As much as my wife and myself eschew all-inclusives in favor of living local, we saw no need or had any desire to go off-site any more than we absolutely had to at this resort. The staff were absolutely on top of it and made sure we had all that we wanted. The food was of the highest quality and with enough variations that we were not bored with it at all. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

3 Thank georgezhibek
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers.

We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed staying with us. It is wonderful to hear we were able to make your stay “Unbeatable” from the moment you arrived to the moment you departed.

It is undoubtedly a great source of motivation for us all to hear that you appreciated every aspect of your stay, from the professionalism and attentiveness of our staff, to the food quality and variety that we offer.

Thank you once again for the opportunity you have given us and for recommending us; we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Suffolk
Reviewed 28 April 2014

this is a fantasic resort. So much to do, staff were fantastic especially the bar staff! everytime our drinks were empty the barman would replace them with fresh ones without us even asking, suprising us with different cocktails he had created. Food was very high standard and the beach was beautiful! would recommend to all

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aj_2010
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We feel much honored to read your compliments on our fantastic and especially, the bar staff. We are proud of providing the top quality services that our beloved guests deserve.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back once again in our hotel and we would like to thank you for recommending us.

Kind regards,

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel was excellent, for all inclusive all drinks are free. Cocktails are just slush really so try some nice wine or champagne! You have free 24 hour room service. Our room was right next to the beach! Lush! Good food but I wouldn't say excellent. There are golf buggies to take you where you want to go in the complex. The main pool is salt water so we went to the lingo hotel next door which had nice pools but obviously a family hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Anna C
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choosing us for such a special occasion and for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate all of our guests’ comments and suggestions regarding our services and facilities, because they help us to increase our ambition to achieve top quality service levels. We would also like to express our most sincere gratitude for the kind review you have shared on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay with us and that you took advantage of all the services included in our All Inclusive package.

On behalf of our team, we would like to thank you once again for your preference and we hope you will give us another chance to host you in the near future.

Best Regards,

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband & I just returned from a week at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. We booked one of the ocean front junior suites and loved it! The balcony has a swinging wicker chair along with a cushioned couch. The room is spacious and linens were soft and new. We had great meals including grilled lobster and tuna for lunch each day. The staff is friendly and helpful. Several times we ventured over to the Maya next door to use their facilities (restaurant, lazy river and the coffee shop). The complex has a nice Mexican shopping center that hosts a taco bar, hamburger restaurant and ice cream shop. All is included! We are already planning a vacation along with our children to try the Maya for a week.

Room Tip: We chose an upper floor ocean front view. We had a fabulous view of the ocean!
4 Thank Robinson5366
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking out your precious time to share your review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Guest satisfaction is our main goal at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso, and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion. We would like to thank you for your highlights on our rooms, food, facilities and especially on the quality service provided by our friendly and delicate staff. We are extremely proud to know that they have contributed to making your stay unforgettable.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our property in the near future.

IEBROSTAR Mexico
Elk Run Heights
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The Iberostar resort is HUGE! All 5 resorts (Del Mar, Beach, Lindo, Maya, Grand) are on the same property and connected by tropical paths and walkways...with each resort having a little better upgrades than the one before. If you stay at the Del or Beach, you have access to all the bars and restaurants of both of the those resorts. If you stay at the Beach or Lindo, you have access to both those resorts, plus the Beach and Del Mar. If you stay at the Grand, you have access to all 5. Although they do have several multi-seat golf carts that will shuttle you around the resort, be prepared to do a lot of walking. This was not a problem for us as we loved exploring all the interesting paths, architectural buildings, gardens, pools, shops, bars, etc...

We booked our trip at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, but were upgraded to the Grand at check-in. This was our second stay at the Iberostar Paraiso, staying at the Lindo in 2011. The Grand resort is beautiful, adults only, although a little less tropical feel than the other 4. The buildings and grounds are beautiful. The rooms are nice and clean with a whirlpool tub and 2 separate sinks to get ready each day. There are 2 large pools, one having a swim-up bar, the other being more quiet and private. We were disappointed our first night at the Grand, in a room far from the beach with no view, and 2 'queen' beds that were closer to full size beds here in the U.S. The next day we requested to be moved back to the Lindo, but they were full...so they moved us to room 7277 at the Grand. This room was excellent with a king bed and view of the ocean. We were also only a few steps away from the Japanese restaurant and within a 2 minute walk from the surf-n-turf, and gourmet restaurants.

The resort is large enough to not feel crowded, except for maybe at the pools and beach. The poolside and beach chairs filled up quick in the morning. In addition to 3 large pools and swim-up bars, there are many other smaller pools and a wave pool for kids. It seemed like many more kids this trip than our 2011 trip.

I was disappointed with the beach area. The beach looks really nice with white sand and turquoise water, but a lot more seaweed and rocky areas in the water this trip than in 2011. We spent most of our days on the beach and would have liked to be able to swim without stepping on sharp rocks and seaweed.

Lots of places to shop on-site. All 5 lobby's have several shops, in addition to a shopping mall area at the entrance to the resort. The disco was fun, but hard to find (located in the shopping mall). Food was hit-and-miss at la cart restaurants, average at the buffets. Drinks were watered down. Even when asking the wait staff to put more alcohol in drinks, they ignored our requests. You might want to order a shot of tequila with your mixed drinks...

The entertainment was much better at the Grand with actual 'singing' as opposed to lip-syncing like at the Del Mar/Beach/Lindo shows. ...good shows except I do not recommend the magic show.

Looking forward to our next trip to the Iberostar.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7277 on the 3rd floor. Can see the ocean though the palm tress and mangroves from...
9 Thank Kramerica1
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We are delighted to know you that you had a great time with us and that you enjoyed our pools, grounds, shops, room, bars; and that you could try one of the biggest privileges as Grand guest which is to have the opportunity of get into the other 4 hotels at the complex without any charge.

Meanwhile we are sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with our hotel beach, while it is true that the entrance to the beach is rocky, this is also one of our main assets, as we are located near the coral reef area. As part of our eco-friendly programs, we aim to protect and preserve its natural beauty.

We have taken note of your comments and we are truly sorry that you were not happy with our food quality; our main goal is to offer our guests with a unique and special experience where dishes are prepared at the moment so we can provide freshness and quality along with a personalized service. We have already shared your feedback with our Executive Chef for his consideration and to our Food & Beverage Department Manager to take into consideration as we continuously strive to offer the best quality and service in every area.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed most of our shows and that you identified some real talent in our hard working performers.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We look forward to have the opportunity to host you once again in order to change your impressions for some more favorable ones.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!