“Very nice design, but no place to go outside the resort”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Manhattan Beach, California
“Very nice design, but no place to go outside the resort”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Very nice design resort and room. I was impressed.
Food was good. Not Great, but good. I was satisfied with all the meals.
Staff was friendly.
VERY clean rooms and grounds.
Nightly shows entertainment were excellent.
Very good beach... no rocks, clear white sand. Easy to swim.
If you are an active nightlife person, then there is nothing to do after the shows.
I would stay again

Room Tip: Get a room closer to the beach. You walk there more often then the food restaurants
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank HondaMike
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and the Staff of IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your vacations.

We are truly happy that you found our Hotel beautiful and that you liked the cleanness of our grounds.

We are pleased to know you enjoyed the nightly shows and the service of our team as we work hard every day to offer a great service to our guests.

On the other hand, we are sorry to know that you have not had the opportunity to enjoy our night activities as we have karaoke at our rhapsody bar Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and our discotheque “Galaxy” close until 3 a.m.
We will work to make sure all our guests’ receive this information, making your stay more attractive.

It would be a true pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,442)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Playa Paraiso
Reviewed 8 May 2014

First time at this resort, second Grand experience. Staff was exceptional, food was fantastic. Highly recommend this resort. By far, blows away the food at most other all-inclusives. One of the biggest resorts we have stayed with so many activities.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank TheBarCouple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations on your previous vacations at our resort. We pride ourselves on being conveniently located, offering a wide array of food and beverage, and the very best in personalized service.

We thank you sincerely for having chosen the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for your recent vacations and we will be more than glad to welcome you again in the near future.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Lets just say, wow! This place was so wonderful and the staff were amazing. Beautiful and the food is great. We had such a wonderful time and our butler, Ricardo was above awesome! We had an Oceanfront suite that was fantastic. Our room was very clean and fresh. I love the salt water pool and swim up bar. I can not say enough about this place. We will deff be going back here to stay. I am so blessed to of experienced this place.. You will not be dissapointed if you go stay here. Just awesome!

4 Thank Jeanine K
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words, it is wonderful to know that you had a great experience with us at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso, it was all our pleasure to host you.

We are pleased to hear that you could enjoy your experience with your butler and concierge, and for expressing the highlights of your trip.

Moreover thank you for mentioning our staff, it is good to read that we met your expectations and that you noticed that we tried to surpass them. Ricardo and all our team feel so proud and happy to know that they were part of your great experience as it is always motivating for the staff to receive comments like yours, please be sure that we will share them with them.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We spent 10 days in early March. The weather was phenomenal. Of course I have come to be known by the staff (including Public Relations), however, this never influences my “feedback” as we readers and contributors need each other to have a realistic assessment of what we are getting for our hard earned dollars. As I mentioned in my review of our 6th visit, I will focus on the changes that we noticed at the Grand since our last visit. If you want my take on the entire experience, check out my reviews of the Grand by looking at my prior contributions.

Check in – This was extremely smooth. It would be nice to get rid of the famous wrist bracelet, however, I think it is a necessary evil and, from experience, I can tell you it is helpful when you venture to the other Iberostar hotels. We went on a walkabout and stopped in for some drinks. The other resorts (and staff) are very mindful of your “platinum” wristband and you see them jump to attention.

Bell Boys. What an awesome bunch and a wealth of knowledge. TIP. They know and see and hear everything. Just ask. They are great ambassadors.

Room Location. I prefer building 71 for an oceanfront room. The beach is not as nice as building 70 (only 2 buildings on oceanfront) and is a little further from the services, but we do not mind the extra walk for the tranquility. There is beach volleyball twice a day in front of building 70. We played a few times and it is not too distracting for the guests as the beach in front of the Grand is huge.

Restaurants. They really have done a great job bumping up the food variety. The service continues to be outstanding. There are the 4 a la carte restaurants and we would be hard pressed to tell you which is our favorite. TIP. Your room comes with a Butler and a Concierge for the building. Be flexible. Let them know when you would like to eat and they will handle the rest. I see to many people making an issue out of where and when. And this may come as a surprise; I would not underestimate the buffet (no reservations required). My wife and I both agreed that we could easily eat there every night. The variety is mind numbing. TIP: Sweetbread at breakfast. Go ahead!

Bars. One of the nicest bars is the lobby bar. However, it is a little walk from 3 of the 4 al la Carte restaurants and the buffet. However, it is well worth the walk for a pre-dinner cocktail. And the entertainment is civil and very relaxing.

Activities. I am a scuba diver and golfer. I did each 5 times. Dressel Divers are the locals on site and do a good job. They are a pleasant bunch of people. The golf course is, in my mind, under-rated. If this was the only course I would ever play again, I would be okay with that. Great shape…no…impeccable. TIP- book your times before you leave. Just to avoid disappointment. There was a large group there that ate up all the times on one day. It is my understanding that the resort is looking at enhancing golf privileges for guests in the coming future. I was intrigued.

Pool Area. This was a little problem for me for 2 reasons. First, they have 4 hot tubs located at each corner of the pool and the temperature is inconsistent. This time, they were marginally warmer than the pool. So, essentially they were tubs. Second, we came across a large “group” that were there for a convention. I know in Canada that our bars and restaurants can be held responsible of they knowingly over serve alcohol to a patron. I know it is a fine line at an all-inclusive, but the disruption made it uncomfortable for other guests. It’s an uncomfortable position to place the Public Relations staff. I just expect guests to be respectful of others around them. I think if I were the organizer of the group, I would certainly have gathered the flock.

Service. You will find that most employees (if not all) work 60 hours a week with one day off. Try that for a few years and see if you need a vacation. TIP. Bring lots of small bills. Tips are very much appreciated and warranted.

Being the No. 1 all –inclusive in the world makes them a target. From what we could see, they are not willing to let go of that position and enjoy sitting at the top of the hill. So much so, we are planning our return as I write this. Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
14 Thank AMorneau
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso; it is always wonderful to have our family close. We really appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you again; we highly value your loyalty as a returning guest. Your evaluation is of special importance to us as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services over the years, and we are pleased to read that you continuously notice our positive changes and improvements.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated team and no doubt will they be motivated by your kind words, It is our constant goal to keep impressing you on every visit and make it even better than the last time.

We are grateful that you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: excellent food, beach, golf, restaurants, bars and especially our friendly and efficient staff; it is always motivating for the staff to receive comments like yours.

Concerning the temperature of our tubs please let us inform that we are working hard to make all the needed improvements, we have had some trouble with one of our bombs and we are now waiting to receive the needed material to fix it. However, at times, certain parts can take some time to arrive so we are gathering efforts with all the involved parties, including our Head Purchasing Department, in order to speed up this process, thus having all areas in perfect shape for our guests. We apologize for the dissatisfaction.

We hope that you will continue giving us the pleasure of hosting you for your next vacations, as we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We spent a week at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso at the end of April 2014. This is a very good, even excellent resort, if you mainly want to veg out, eat, drink and be waited on. It is not designed for the active customer. Overall we had a good time and enjoyed the pampering, but to find a resort that is designed to provide the things most important to us.

Food: The food is excellent (except in Haiku, the Japanese specialty restaurant, where everything tasted like soy sauce) and plentiful, and there is a lot of variety. Even in the two buffet two buffet restaurants many dishes are made to order - at all three meals - and if you ask they will always make anything you want. Extremely accommodating is the order of the day for the whole resort.

Ambiance: The resort is physically attractive and mainly very well kept up. There are areas of the resort that appeal to those who want quiet (the "quiet pool" and the veranda outside of the spa pool) and those who want more going on around them (the main pool). There is just about every routine and luxurious comfort you could want. Some of the very simple nice touches include books to borrow, DVDs to watch in your room, and sun block available at the pool as well as the expected endless availability of drinks of all types – in a wide variety of bars. The resort website does a great job of explaining the more luxurious amenities.

Room: Our ocean-view room was the same size as the rooms that cost less but the view was great. It was quiet, clean, not “worn”, everything worked, the minibar was stocked with our preferences every day – absolutely no complaints.

Staff: Everyone - the front desk personnel, bellmen, waiters, restaurant staff, butlers, concierge staff, Star Friends (activities staff), cleaning staff - was extremely friendly and helpful.

However...

Activities: The vast majority of the guests spend their time at the main pool or on lounge chairs at the beach taking advantage of the all-inclusive premium drinks. The resort does have archery and riflery (air gun) as advertised, but each is open only a half hour a day and there is a "competition" between the guests that show up, so, even though few people usually show up, each person gets very few shots. There are two ½ hour aqua aerobics (very nice) and yoga classes each day, but no power walk or other group activities geared toward exercise. The bike rides are also ½ hour and very sedate.

The non-motorized water sports are run by a contracted company and boats must be reserved starting at 9:00 a.m. the same day. They are available from 9:30-4:30 each day (last boats go out no later than 3:30). A single 1 hour slot each PER ROOM per day for the Hobie Cats and windsurf boards is allowed. As the hour slots run from 9:30-3:30 there are only 7 slots for each Hobie Cat or windsurf board each day (for thousands of guests as this equipment is used by all 5 of the Iberostar resorts that are contiguous in this area - there are 5, side by side). There are 4 or 5 Hobie Cats, but only 1 windsurf board (3 sails, 1 board) - not really much availability for windsurf and not much better for the sailboats as they are more popular. Kayaks do not have to be reserved, but also cannot be taken out after 3:30. The boats are located at the "property line" of the Grand and the Lido, which is the Iberostar resort immediately adjacent, so it is very convenient to the Grand guests. Unfortunately, the winds/waves are often very strong and when a red flag is up no non-motorized water sports are permitted. We had 7 red flag days out of the 8 we were there. Of course the resort has no control over this, but staff told us this is a common occurrence. If water sports are important to you, you may want to look for a location where the sea is generally calmer.

8 Thank Victor S
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for sharing with us your recent experience at our hotel IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. We are honored to have been part of your unforgettable vacation in Mexico.

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding our restaurants and the culinary tour you experienced, our chefs have the commitment to offer the best food quality to delight the palate of our visitors. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to come back and give our Japanese restaurant another chance to discover the wonder of this cuisine where you have the option to have the a la carte menu or the hibachi table where the chef cooks in front of you.

Our hotel is designed to generate the perfect combination between luxury and a place where you can sense the warmth of home. We are glad you appreciated this aspect.

With regard to the water sports and other activities we would suggest you visit the hospitality room located by the Lobby area where you can find your travel agent and buy a tour to explore the Riviera Maya, visit the archaeological area and other great activities for adventurer travelers.

We look forward to welcoming you back to IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for another great vacation where we will do our best to make your stay exceed your past experience.

Best regards,

dallas
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife really wanted to go to an all inclusive in Mexico because it's such an easy trip for us from Dallas. I was really reluctant because my experiences at other resorts had been that they were beautiful, the food was fine, the beaches were great, but the service was terrible. Tripadvisor has always steered us right in the past, and I couldn't believe this place had over 2,000 5 star reviews. But here I am adding another one because this place was amazing! LIke other places, it's beautiful, the food is fine, the beach is great BUT the service is OUTSTANDING! Every person we encountered from the front desk, to the butlers, to the restaurant wait staff to even the grounds and shop staff were genuinely friendly, and bent over backwards to make us feel special. Other, than the fantastic service, there are a few other things to note. It is adults only which made the beach wonderful. Just take a stroll next door to see the chaos you're missing. Also, I don't know how the drinks could have been better. Lots of friendly bar staff, any call you could imagine and there is no skimping on the alcohol. Personally I thought the shows were great. Looking around, people didn't seem to be impressed, but we went every night because we were entertained. I wasn't expecting broadway or arena quality talent, but the shows are on par with any small production or cruise. If I have to say anything negative, this is an older resort, so it's not in perfect repair. However, it still feels really nice, and I never saw one square inch of the place that was not spotless. Also, I was bummed that there was no internet reception in the fitness area. I like to do Pandora, but was stuck with their piped in music. Other than that, this goes down in history as one of our absolute best vacations ever thanks to Iberostar Grand Paraiso!

Room Tip: We had a room adjacent to the tranquility pool which made for a nice quiet centrally located spot w...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank whspot
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for the kind review you wrote on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful for your great comments they really make us feel so proud. Your evaluation is of special importance to us as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services with other properties.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that our facilities and services were always up to standard. We appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated team.

We are glad that you found the hotel to be relaxing, the pool quiet and beautiful and the drinks and the food delicious. Our main goal is to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations, and to read that we have accomplished this with you makes us feel very happy.

Concerning the Internet service, please know we are working with an external company to improve the service in the entire Hotel; we apologize for the inconvenient caused.

In reference to the maintenance of our resort, we would also like to mention that our Management and Maintenance Department are constantly working on areas to be improved. All our facilities follow a maintenance standard roll in order to try to keep our areas and rooms impeccable. Thank you for bringing up this important point.

We thank you sincerely for having chosen the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for your recent Mexican vacation and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Auburn, Ny
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We just returned from 10 days at the Grand Paraiso. I will try to hit on the highlights and be as brief as possible.
First of all, this resort is spotless. From the minute you pull up to the resort, you feel like your in Paradise. We were greeted at the front desk with a cold cloth and a welcome drink. We were assigned to room 7148(ocean front, 3rd floor). It wasn't ready yet, so they kindly gave us another room to clean up after a day of travel. We went back to the front desk and our room was ready. We were taken to building 71 in a golf cart. The bell boy was polite and asked how our trip was and if we needed anything. When we entered building 71 we met our concierge. I believe her name was Tania. She was pleasant and explained the hotel to us. She gave us a map and we went to our Room. WOW is all I can say. Beautiful room and an unbelievable view of the Ocean (just what we wanted)! We met the Head Butler Victor and he told us whatever we needed just to ask.

We made reservations for the first two night dinners through email and we made the rest of our reservations through the Tania.

The Food at every restaurant was Outstanding. We loved the Italian. The Fillet was delicious and my wife loved the ravioli. We also got the risotto to share. The Surf and Turf and Gourmet were also very good. We thought the Mexican was ok. The buffets are fantastic. The breakfast has omelets station and just about anything you van imagine. There are 2 restaurants for lunch. La Brisa has a great view and all the Lobster you can eat. The other Buffet has a specialty grill of the day. The Shrimp Tacos were unreal.

We spend most of our day by the Activity Pool. If you want a shade spot, plan to get up early and reserve. They were adding 3 more shade areas when we were there. We love the sun so it was not difficult to find a spot at all. You can get as many towels as you like from the hut. We did see staff taking towels from areas if they were unoccupied for 2 hrs.(great idea).

We stayed awake for a couple shows. The Rock Show was one of the best shows I have ever seen at an all-inclusive resort. The Star Friends work very hard at these shows. The also can be seen every day at the pool with activities if you want to join in. They are very personable and we really enjoyed talking to Ximena(spelling) and Andy. They were both great people.

I just want to point out a special thanks to Victor(butler). He went out of his way whenever he saw us to say hello and ask if we needed anything. Also, all the concierges were exceptional. They remember your names and when we needed our dinner reservations changes a couple of times, they made sure we were accommodated. THANK YOU TANIA!. Lastly, Ioana the Front Desk Manager. I emailed her a few times before we came and she always answered me quickly. She took care of every need of ours and made it a priority to meet us and greet us when we arrived.

We have traveled to Aruba, Mexico, Punta Cana, Jamaica for the past 15 yrs. This was our third trip to the Iberostar Chain. This resort is by far the BEST WE HAVE EVER BEEN TO!. From the resort to the staff, to the food and to the entertainment team, this place is TOP NOTCH. If you have thoughts about going here, do yourself a favor and book this resort. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

I know there is a million other positive things I could say, but I wont continue. If you have any questions, feel free to message me or email me at nap092001@yahoo.com.

ps. If you want a float for the pool, bring one or you can buy one at gift shop(20 Bucks).

Room Tip: Building 71 and 72 Ocean Front. AWESOME!. Every room has Balcony with swinging chair and couch!
4 Thank Nap
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your loyalty and lovely feedback about your recent stay at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Our Managers and staff work hard to accomplish our guests’ expectations. We sincerely appreciate your recognition to Tania, Ioana, Victor, Ximena and Andy.

It is undoubtedly a great source of motivation for us to know that you appreciated every aspect of your stay, from the professionalism and attentiveness of our staff, to the food quality and variety that we offer.

Thank you for pointing out the policy that we are applying for our sunbeds, we are working very hard on this and it is good to read that you noticed it.

We hope that you will visit us again soon to see the changes we are making, always following our guests' recommendations: Thank you once again for your detailed feedback; we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!