“The Greatest”

GreenLeadersGold level
Playa Paraiso
“The Greatest”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Excellent experience in a top hotel with excellent service and personalized attention. Great sympathy, kindness and efficiency of all workers. Excellent quality of structures, spaces very clean and very nice. A stay to remember and to repeat, no doubt. We appreciate all the care, attention and kindness with which we were received, integrated and monitored throughout our stay at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com

3 Thank Joana S
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear guest,

We feel much honored with your compliments about the excellent and personalized attention, the cleanliness of our hotel and also the quality of our structures.

It is great to hear that you went home with good memories and that you have the intention to visit us in the future.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience, we look forward to welcoming you soon.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,462)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a stay at the Grand May 23-28th. We went into this resort with high comparisons to the Secrets Maroma, as that's where we stayed on our honeymoon. We are in our late 20s just to give you a little background on who we are. First off, I can't thank mitch@tripguy.com for assisting with our travels. When we arrived to Cancun we were promptly greeted by our transfer, which was a luxury SUV just for the 2 of us as well as waters and snacks. Our check in was super easy, we decided since we were vacationing with another couple not to pay for an upgrade and hope for one at check in. The resort was fully booked so an upgrade was unavailable. Our room was very nice, our view was unfortunately of the serenity pool and a huge tree blocked most of that view. It is what it is…its true what they say…you get what you pay for. Dinners were all excellent. We never did the buffet for dinner we had prior dinner reservations made by mitch@tripguy.com I enjoyed all of them, least favorite being the mexican. But I think its just personal preferences really. The pool was awesome…I did miss having a chlorine pool as the main pool salt water. My eyes were pretty sensitive at the end of the day. The bartenders at the swim up bar are excellent. So friendly and can make anything your heart desires. "love connections" and "mini beers" What a fun treat those were!! The beach is fantastic and there is some big rock but my husband and I enjoyed looking for shells along those rocks. If you just walk 100 ft in either direction you get to sandy white beaches and turquoise water! My only true complaint if I had one would be the poolside service. We tend to hang in the pool during the day and there are plenty of chairs alongside the pool area. However, we were never greeted by any waitresses while on our chairs near the water. The people who had reserved the cabanas early in the morning would be attended to, but in order for us to get a drink my husband and I would wade across the pool to the pool bar. It wasn't that big of deal as it felt good to refresh in the pool but I was expecting 5 star attended service. Finally, in comparing this resort to secrets. I would definitely recommend the Iberostar. The rooms were roomier and bigger. If you paid for oceanfront you would definitely be getting a better view and bigger balcony. Food was better. I did feel poolside service was better at Secrets and I loved at secrets when the waiters would come out in the pool on Saturday and bring you food. You can't go wrong staying here!!! We will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: Pay for oceanfront if you can.
5 Thank KWeggles
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of all staff and the management, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso again and for sharing your experience about your stay.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful and spacious rooms, amazing pools and beach, our delicious food and the great service of our bartenders.

Our aim is always to exceed your expectations, so we hasten to express our sincere regret that your visit fell below par with the pool service. We wish to assure you that our service standards are very important to us and hence worked upon each and every day, as this is the only way in which we can and will maintain our position as a leading luxury property. We will share your evaluation to our Food & Beverage manager for his consideration.

We hope that you will continue giving us the pleasure of hosting you for your next vacations, as we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Falkirk
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Have just returned from our 3rd visit to The Grand and had another wonderful holiday. Also with us this time our daughter and son in law.

The hotel and all the staff remain amazing. This time we had Oceanfront room in building 70 on the 3rd floor with a terrific view, our Butler was Gonzalo who looked after us very well making sure we had everything we required, thank you Gonzalo we never saw you on the day we left as your rostered duty was after our leaving time. Many thanks also to Jessica who was our concierge for part of our stay Until she was moved to Building 72.

The hotel and rooms are spotless, housekeeping was excellent special mention to Anna who turned down our room each evening.

The variety and quality of food in our opinion is great the range of food in the buffets for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner never fails. The staff at the buffets were always polite and engaging we would like to mention a few who looked after us. La Brisa at lunch, Guillermo, Mauricio, David, Anna, and of course Vicktor
La Bela Vista Eusebio and Jorge at the first section in the buffet in the evening a great team.
Chefs Alexandra and Olivia, Karin in the Italian Restaurant.

Our favorite a la carte this time was the Italian special thanks to our favorite waiter Vicktor for his excellent service as always and all the other staff in the Italian Restaurant for two excellent evenings.

Also Alfredo who now seems to be an overall maître de or manager over the Restaurants as he seemed to be everywhere at all hours of the day and evening, who never failed to welcome us whenever he saw us in any of the Restaurants or Buffets.

On the beach we never failed to get a Palpa and sun beds, new cushion pads make such a difference to your comfort. Waiter service on beach was very good, Eli, Gaston and Gabriel worked so hard and made sure the guests were always hydrated!

Lobby Bar remains an excellent end to your evening excellent staff Daniel, Anthelia, Cecelia and of course superb cocktails, not forgetting the duo who provide music sorry forgot to get their names (will remember to make a note next visit).

Also Gabriel Rodriguez Resident Manager who was always interested in how our stay in the hotel was and offered any help that he could, good to see a manager who interacts with his guests.

Went to a couple of shows Boogie Nights and Rock Show which we enjoyed.

We also met lots of guests from all parts the world and had some really good times with them.

My husband and son in law played Golf and enjoyed their 4 games excellent course and facilities, tip for Scottish Golfers book early Tee Times (can get very hot).

What else to say, only that we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Room upper floor or Building 72 overlooking Tranquility Pool
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank JLSScotland
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your third stay at the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the buffets and restaurants; your beautiful view from your ocean front room, the butler service, concierge and all the restaurant staff.

Our goal is to give our guests the best service and to improve every year; we appreciate your recognition about our hard work; thank you for highlighting the beach chairs´ improvement.

Once again thank you for writing this review, and we hope to welcome you in the near future.

Canton, Missouri
Reviewed 5 June 2014

When we arrived at this resort the entry is jaw dropping and as you walk through this beautiful place everywhere you turn it is like a grand palace. The Front desk staff is WONDERFUL! We actually were upgraded to one of only 10 villas on the property. We felt like celebrities as our Butler took us by golf cart to our villa. They will place not only the beer of your choice in your mini bar they will also place any specialty liquor and other beverages you request. You can have anything your heart desires at this resort. They have domestic and international beers and all top self liquor to chose from. You can order buckets of beer anytime and any place even to your room. Along with 24 hour room service and beach service what more could you ask for? My Sister and her husband did the beach massage and said that it was the best message they had ever had in their lives. The ocean is beautiful and clear. If you get the chance go to Toni's Surf and Tuff its the best on the resort! Ask for the Mayan coffee. Filet Minion, Lobster, Steak, Prawns, Shrimp you name it and it's on the buffet at this resort. Also included when you go to the shopping center at the Iberostar complex all of the food and beverages are covered by your all inclusive plan! Thank You Iberostar Grand Paraiso for a trip of a lifetime I can see why you win awards each year for quality and service!!! A special thanks to Cesar for all of your kindness to myself and my husband on our vacation.

4 Thank CLAW8
Dear guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share your experience at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

Our main goal is to offer our guests with a unique and special experience where dishes are prepared at the moment so we can provide freshness and quality along with a personalized service, so we are thrilled you enjoyed that, as well as our spa treatments.

Thank you for appreciating the butler service. Their work is to assist with anything our guests might need during their stay when they are required. We are very grateful for your mention of our staff, especially Cesar; we will feel very proud to receive such kind words.

We hope that you will continue giving us the pleasure of hosting you for your next vacations.

Best Regards,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 10th wedding Anniversary at the Iberostar from 5/27 thru 5/31. We booked thru Tripguy.com (Thanks Nikki!) and our package was thru Apple vacations. As a frequent reader of Tripadvisor, figured I should offer a review on our experience. Apologize in advance, because it will be lengthy!! Travel was very smooth on Delta from Pittsburgh to Cancun (thru Detroit) as we got put in the exit row for the longer leg from Det to Cancun. Upon Arrival at the airport, the Apple vacation reps were very present outside the terminal and led us to our shared transfer (Amstar). I must admit I was a bit concerned about the shared transfer because we were anxious about getting to the resort and there was quite a group of people around the buses. To my great surprise, we we're whisked thru the line and put on a 20 passenger bus that took us straight to our resort. This is where Customer service was taken to a whole new level. The staff at Iberostar Grand Pariso take care of you like no other. We were greeted off the bus by the bell staff who immediately escorted us to the bar next to the front desk. No need to check in with the front desk and see if the room is ready, they took care of it all. We were told we should not be bothered with the details, that we we're "home", on vacation and should enjoy out cocktails. An amazing start to the trip. Our room was ready (building #71, Oceanfront and awesome) and we were whisked on a golf cart thru the resort and back to our building. The bell hop pointed out all the "important" spots as we drove thru (restaurants, pools, gym, etc) and gave us a nice overview. We pulled into building #71 and were immediately passed off to our building concierge, Lorena, (who was great!) and she was able to set up dinner reservations, golf, etc, etc. From there, Lorena passed us off to our butler for the week, who escorted us to the room and familarized us with all the wonderful amentities (mini-bar, hot tube, room service etc etc). Our view was stunning. We were on the second floor and the balcony overlooked the white sand beach and beautiful blue Caribbean Sea. The view alone was worth the price for oceanfront. The balcony's are large and private and have a couch and swing. The king bed was very comfortable and my wife raved about the pillows. Nice flat screen TV and the bathroom had his and her's sinks, hot tub and shower. It was great. We wasted no time and immediately headed out to the beach. The resort offers unlimited towels, sunscreen, aloe, anything you would ever need. The palapas on the beach are unbelievable and we never had an issue finding a place to sit. Immediately we were greeted with a staff member on the beach asking us if we needed a cocktail. This was a theme thoughout. Never once did i have an empty glass. Selection was amazing...all top shelf (if requested) and the beer selection was good as well. The beach is gorgeous. My wife really enjoys walking and we made our way up and down the beach in both directions. There are areas that are very rocky where the surf meets the sand, but those areas are pretty obvious. You can always find a spot to swim where there are less rocks. I found the surf to be alot rougher than expected and actually got slammed pretty good by the waves the one time i made my way into the water. I mainly stuck to the beach chair and my drink! We made our way from the beach to the main pool where there plenty of chairs available. The pool swim up bar always attracts a crowd, but it was very easy to get a drink. Pool "fun" staff very present and always had some game or activity going on in the pool. Definitely not overbearing and welcomed everyone to join in, but were not pushy if you chose to sit back, have a drink and watch. The resort also offers a "quiet" pool, but we never spent any time there. Nice breeze in the pool area from the beach. The pool is salt water, but had absolutely no issues with that..very clean. The wife and I tried scuba for free in the pool which was cool (our instructor Kim was awesome) and she had us convinced to go on a dive, but we ran out of time. Next time for sure. Played golf (round included) while the wife went to the spa and got a massage. She loved it. I loved it. Got out early (first one out as a single) on the golf course and blew thru 18 holes in about 2:25 minutes. I was back on the beach by 9:30. Amazing. Course was beautiful and very playable. As far as the food was concerned, there was plenty to choose from. You could eat 24/7 if you wanted. Nice selection of restaurants and the buffet was always available. I admit that my expectations were not sky high for the food, and will say, it about met my expectations. We loved the breakfast especially (Olivia mixes a mean omelet!), but the lunch and dinner was just good, not spectacular. There was an overwhelming selection of food (even lobster at every buffet), but nothing super memorable about any of the meals. I do feel that the offerings could satisfy even the pickiest eater and the service was always top notch. We enjoyed the Japanese hibachi restaurant the best, and my wife enjoyed the Mexican restaurant. We didn't take full advantage of the entertainment offered in the evenings, but feedback was all good from others we talked to. They had a pool/cocktail party one night and that was fun. All in all, just a wonderful trip and experience. One other key point that i was concerned about was the internet connection. We left our 2 kids behind and we're hoping to "Facetime" with them. Our connection in the room was great. They gave us codes to connect and I even picked up a signal (although inconsistent) on the beach at times. No issues with connecting with our kids each night and that was great. As we sadly checked out on the last day, our building concierge, Lorena, met us at the front desk and wished us a good trip back home. It was a very nice touch to end the trip as we got to know her and many of the staff thoughout the week. I can't say enough about the staff...everyone always greeted you with an "hola" or "buenos dias" and even would pull up a chair, sit and chat with you. They make the resort what it is. Our shared transfer back to the airport on Saturday did have a stop at another resort and was a little tighter than we wanted it to be to make our flight. We had a very helpful airport person who got our bags checked quickly (bypassing about a 1000 person line) so we could make it. No issues, thank god, and we (and our bags) comfortably made the flight back home. I highly recommend this resort to anyone and I will definitely be back! Don't hesitiate to book. Do it!

Room Tip: Building #71 Oceanfront was awesome. 2nd floor was good too.
16 Thank Dan H
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your time to write about your stay at the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. It is very satisfying to read your review and to know that you had such a good time.

It seems that you enjoyed your whole stay, thank you for highlighting our drinks, your ocean front room with a wonderful view of the beautiful sea, the amenities in your room and the very comfortable king sized beds, and of course the service of our friendly staff.

It is our goal to satisfy all our guests so we take your comment about the food at heart, and will review it with Management and our Executive Chef, as all the feedback received always is.

We also are very pleased with you compliments about the golf course and the spa treatments that you tried, thank you for pointing that out.

Once again thank you for taking your time to write about your stay and we hope to welcome you once again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel from May 22 - May 29, 2014. We had a great experience there and we would like to come back next year. The hotel is clean, the food is great (including the restaurants), the drinks are excellent (including the white and red wines), the employees are amazing, and the beach and swimming pools are just out of this world. They pay attention to every detail and decorated our room on my birthday. We stayed in building #71 with an ocean front room. The view from our room was just a dream. They offer 24 hour room service and you can relax on the terrace, drink there, and enjoy the sound of the waves. I highly recommend this hotel, and we liked that is an "adults only" hotel. We can not find anything to complain about. It was really a fabulous experience.

Room Tip: We enjoyed building # 71 with an ocean front room. Our room was amazing!!!!!!!
9 Thank Julio M
Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you very much for your loyalty towards our IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. It is a great pleasure to read that you had a great time.

We are happy to know that during your stay you had the opportunity to enjoy different aspects of our hotel, such as food & beverage, beach, swimming pools and our wonderful staff. These are some of the main pillars of our organization, and to read that we fulfilled your expectations is our best award.

We really appreciate the time you took to share your comments with other travelers. On behalf of all our team, we look forward to seeing you soon.

Pottsville,Pa.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from this resort and we are wishing we did not have to leave.The structure is like no other,it feels like a grand hotel rather than a beach resort.The gorgeous marble flooring,the beautiful art work and the lighting is just breathtaking. The beach is beautiful,wide,soft flour like sand and lovely chairs to relax on.The pools are beautiful,three in number,each different.The service at the beach was as good as at the dining areas.The staff is very pleasant ,helpful no matter what the task might be.The shows are well done in a fabulous theatre, a wide variety ,something to suit everyone.The food was the only thing that I was not entirely pleased with.Many of the specialty restaurants had the same things offered on the menu,the food was not as hot as it should have been.The bar service was fantastic,I have never seen a bottle of the drink you have requested brought to the table,it was amazing! Beautiful,everyone should go!!

Room Tip: Lower floor is more quiet,all the rooms are the the same in appearance.
3 Thank dbren
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your nice feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We are very glad to know that you had memorable days during your journey through the Mexican Caribbean with us. The success of our hotel depends on the impression of all our guests and your comments are the best proof that we are on the right track to keep being one of the best All Inclusive hotels around the world. The IBEROSTAR design team, led by the Majorcan artist José Deudero has inspired the design of decoration in classical Greece and Rome.

Our challenge with you will be to impress you with our food next time you come to visit us. We will keep working on offering the best.

Thank you again for taking your valuable time to let us know your impression and we hope we will have the honor of having your presence in our hotel in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!