“Iberostar grand hotel paraiso”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Iberostar grand hotel paraiso”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel lives up to its name, voted no.1 best allinclusive hotel in the world, and it really does, great food all day everyday something different, every night booked into different reasturants, amazing everyone of them, hotel staff very nice, entertainment around pool good fun, pool bar great for cocktails all day ! Barbecues every lunch time with lobster and steak prawns etc amazing!
Or the buffet is open as well , mussels crab all fish you can think of, and any other food you could think of, all drinks are 24hr inclusive which is great, can have delivered to your room as well, I've been to many allinclusive hotels around the world being 5star but this is the best one ever, the cabanas around the pool are great, a very spacious hotel never looks packed with people because of its size! Hope this review gives you an insight of the hotel, we stayed there may 2014 for 12nights we are two couples aged between 50 to 57yrs old, and we will def return there again soon, great value for money! There are all different age groups there as well, prob from 30yrs and above I would say, !!

Room Tip: Our room looked over the back of hotel where the indoor pool and gym is, trees etc, but our friends...
10 Thank Carol0607
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear guest,

We felt honored with your kindly review regarding your stay at our hotel; we are very proud to know that we fulfilled your expectations as a visitor.

We will share your comments with our chefs who are always exploring for new ways to surprise and please our guests with the great food selection offered.

We would like to thank you for taking your valuable time to express your impression and we do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again with more friends and letting us be part of your experience away from home.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,454)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 June 2014

It was our first trip outside of the states together and our first trip to Mexico so we did not know what to expect but we were very excited. My husband did not know anything of the resort besides the name so when we arrived, he was beyond impressed with the resort, service and people. The staff at the Grand really do bend over backwards to make your stay as amazing as possible. We stayed June 1st-June 7th, 2014 and although it rained much of our trip, the beauty and amenities of the resort made the rain unnoticeable.

The food was really good. We tried buffets every night, and also had 3 ala cartes: the surf n' turf, italian, and japanese. We loved the italian the most of the ala carte's that we tried. The buffets were always nice and I will really miss the pico de gallo. It just tastes different here. We ordered room service every night and they were very prompt with food arriving no later than 30 mins after ordering and was always hot. Breakfast I adored. They had fresh crepes, omelletes, all your nomal breakfast meats, fruits, parfaits, an array of pastries.

The beach was nice, but it is a little rocky. The water is not crystal clear, but the beach is beautiful when sunny. We had a chance to do jet skiing and parasailing. The husband had never parasailed before and was deathly afraid of it, but when he did he, he loved it.

Rooms were really beautiful and large. We were in 7255 and our balcony overlooked the quiet pool. Really beautiful view and looked very tropical. We loved the swings on the balcony, really nice to watch the sunset while swaying on the swings. The bathrooms were also large, and the only suggestion I would have is to do something with the showers so the water doesn't seep into the rest of the bathroom while showering.

Staff was absolutely AMAZING. Cannot stress enough how courteous and nice they were. My husband says that it really is the staff that makes the resort so Grand and he was right. And we ventured to the other Iberostar resorts on the complex and you really do notice how the staff is different at the Grand than at the other resorts. Definitely worth the extra money to stay at the Grand.

We only went to one nightly show and it was the Magic Show on Mondays. It really was entertaining and we enjoyed it immensely.

The grounds are beautiful and it really has a tropical feel to it. The pools are also beautiful. Our favorite was the indoor spa pool because they have massage faucets in the pools.

We really enjoyed our honeymoon and cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Asmabebe
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso and for sharing your experience.

We are delighted to read that you had a memorable honeymoon with us and that you were impressed with the resort, service and people.

It is good to know that you enjoyed the food and room service and that you were satisfied with our hotel facilities such as the pool, spa, beach and the rooms.

Thank you for your kind suggestion about the showers. We will forward your comment to the responsible department.

Special thanks for acknowledging the friendliness and work performance of the staff.

We appreciate your nice feedback and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel!

Kind regards,

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This was our 8th trip to an Iberostar property, the 6th at this Grand. I'm going to start with the good news (if you are looking for the bad and the ugly....stay tuned). We were there for 12 days, so we had plenty of time to check things out.

First up, Congratulations Iberostar for joining us in 2014 by providing WiFi throughout the resort. However (bad), if you are at the Tranquility Pool on the lobby end, no connection that we could find. The beach end of it was sketchy to good. Also good, we had the best butler service since the first year they opened. Not that we needed much, but our butler(s) were always present and friendly and helpful. Also good, the resort seems to be replacing the room safes. We had a new one (our friends did not) and they are bigger and have a light in the hinge so you can actually see inside.

One of the best parts of being a "frequent flier" at the Grand is the staff. They do a very good job keeping their staff. Olivia was there working her magic. Our group (of 8) requested Lobster Lasagna in the Italian Restaurant and she made it happen! Victor (head butler) was there to greet us when we arrived and asked us if he could do anything for us every time we saw him.
And Mirna (anybody who has met Mirna wants to bring her home). She is the waitress at the Tranquility Pool and if you want to see someone work their butt off, just watch her literally run with a tray full of drinks! I adore her! I had a massage for the first time in the spa at the Grand. Normally we have to go to the plaza spa. So if you are going to get one, ask for it on the grounds. It was so much more convenient. I had the deep tissue from Cony and I'm telling you, she was wonderful. I will ask for her again and again.

That said, I need to share something I learned this trip. For all of you non-tippers ("it's All Inclusive and that means I don't have to tip"). You know who you are. And I'm not posting this without checking it out. I went to www.wageindicator.org and the state of Quintana Roo (B column) has a minimum wage for maids of 77.22 pesos per day. Yes I wrote 77.22 pesos per day. You do the math. The bartenders make a whopping 81.18 pesos per day. Now, Iberostar does give them small bonuses during the busy season. But come on!!!! If you can afford to stay at the Grand, go to the bank and take out a couple of hundred dollars in ones and give one every time these wonderful people hands you a drink. And when you go to dinner and a waiter/waitress is serving you everything, go big and leave a five spot. You won't notice it, but I can tell you, it makes a huge difference in their life. Okay, I will now step down from my soap box.

Here's where I give you my travel tips.....we stay in Building 71, 3rd floor. It's ocean front and just fabulous. Well worth the upgrade. We stay on the 3rd floor because their wonderful housekeepers actually move the bed out when they clean. Being on the top floor means you don't have furniture moving over your head, or people either for that matter. They have great hangers there, just not enough of them. I go to Wal-Mart and for a little over a buck I buy the drip dry hangers (2-10 packs, but then again, we stay longer than normal). They also have pull out laundry racks on the balconies. Wonderful, but if you take the jumbo plastic clothespins, your suits dry out faster and you can hang more of them. We also always take our own Bubba Mug type drinking cups. They are insulated and keep the ice from melting so fast. Also with the addition of WiFi, I used my iPad a lot and wished I had brought my spray screen cleaner. Next year. Make sure you take plenty of sunscreen and bug spray...it's expensive in the shops. Oh, and ladies, leave your perfume at home as it does attract the mosquitos. A big thank you to Iberostar this year for spraying for them, as I only had a couple of bites as opposed to years past. We also always take pool floaties. They will inflate them for you at the towel shed. We just find someone who has just arrived to pass them on to. Take a few dryer sheets for your luggage on the way home. The humidity makes your clothes smell damp. If you go to the Tranquility Pool (we like it because it's a little warmer and the Star Friends are busy at the other pool), the dark wood that rims the pool is hotter than you want to step on. We just take one of the dirty towels from the bench and wet it in the pool and make a "mat" to walk across. Rafael.....how about getting some real pool mats to save your guests feet?

A side note tip...we always use Cancun Shuttle to get to and from the airport. Their cars are clean and their drivers are superb. You have direct transportation without stopping at many other resorts to drop off other passengers. I highly recommend them.

If you have been there before and they groomed the beach every morning, that didn't happen this year. But I found out it was because the sea turtles were laying their eggs. Iberostar is very concerned to not disrupt this process...just a side note. They were in the process of painting the wall sconces on the covered paths so many are missing. In 12 days we just didn't see any progress.

Now for the sort of bad. The ice machines that were broken in building 71 last year are still broken (and there are many). The resort knows the big arrival day of the week, so after only one or two days you will be presented with a survey at dinner. They want your comments before you have a chance to experience much. Hold onto it and fill it out right before you leave and turn it in when you check out. The showers throughout the resort go hot and cold. They have since day one and probably nothing can be done about it, just warning you. And don't let anyone flush the toilet while you are in there. Posi-temp valves have not made their way there.

The ugly.....I had been in contact with the General Manager (who is new since our visit last year at the same time). My beef is with the pool chairs. They have had the same pads and chairs since they opened in 2007 and were awful. Rafael sent me pictures of the new chairs and pads and I was elated. Imagine my disappointment when we arrived at the Tranquility Pool to find old chairs and pads. Not just old Grand chairs and pads, but old Maya chairs and pads. The Maya got all new chairs and pads so they brought their old ones to the Grand (?). I have never ever written a bad review for the Grand and I have never posted pictures. Well, folks, this is the review where I show you what I'm talking about. Rafael came to find us (after my snarky emails from the pool) and he told us that they were replacing them, it just takes time. Well I have met with the General Managers for 3 years now and have always been told they would have new ones by the time we got back. 3 years. So I'm not going to tell you that it's getting better as I have done in years past. They are gross and I will tell you they are better when I have actually parked my butt in them. (see pictures). Another issue is they are replacing most with the "beds". Well, that's sweet for the honeymoon, but for us older folks, the beds don't sit up for reading! Their comment cards should be a little more extensive. Also the couches on the patio have become very faded. Not dirty, not torn, just faded. Fabric dye would be an inexpensive solution to spruce them up. The teak floors on the patios could also use a little luster.

As for our dining experience....like I said, we've been here before. We went to the Japanese restaurant and had 8:30 reservations. (Later than we normally like). We didn't even get our appetizers until 9:30! They served sushi before that, but we don't like sushi. The chicken was way under cooked and two of our party got sick. We also went to the new Mexican al la carte, Bellavista. It's new this year. We had 7:30 reservations, our appetizers came at 8:30 and our main course arrived at 9:00. They do have an appetizer buffet, but the body builder in our group who usually orders doubles of everything went up and came back without a plate. If it didn't appeal to him, we didn't waste the trip. On a scale from 1 to 10, this restaurant gets a 5. Now Humberto was our waiter and he did a great job. The drinks arrived promptly, but he couldn't deliver the food if it wasn't ready. We won't go back to either of these restaurants. Stick with the Surf & Turf, Italian, and the Gourmet (French). You'll be happy. OR go to the buffet and have some cheese, crackers, and wine....then go to them.

A lot of work was being done around the resort (replacing the tile roofs on the covered walkways), but the buildings and such around the pool were looking moldy and some places look like they just ran out of paint.

I still think it is an excellent resort and we will go back; because of the people, and will be always hoping that it will be better.

In closing, thank you Mirna, Victor, (the two recipients of my Trip Advisor excellent service pins), Olivia, Alex, Ruben, Io"Ana", Sergio, Jesus, and many others.

19 Thank Mindy F
Dear guest,

Thank you for your loyalty to the chain and our hotel.

We are glad to know that you are a big fan of the IBEROSTAR experience, including top notch of food and beverage, and top class service. Your evaluation is of special importance to us, as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services over several years.

We are concerned that some of your expectations were not fulfilled. There is certainly always room for improvement and during this busy period it seems that we had less attention to detail than usual and we apologize profusely about that. We are sorry to hear you suffered water temperature fluctuations; one of our main pumps broke down and we have been working on it as we needed to make some important changes with the whole piping system to avoid bigger problems.

Regarding the inconvenience you had at our restaurants, we apologize about the errors made, please note that we have personally passed your feedback on to the pertinent department heads. We are organizing training sessions for different departments to ensure an excellent quality is delivered, and your feedback is definitely key to know more about what we need to work on.

Regarding the sun chairs by the tranquility pool, we would like to mention that those are not the newest ones. They chairs are being replaced by areas, i.e. they have been replaced by the beach and main pool. We would also like to mention that our Management and Maintenance Department are constantly working on areas to be improved. Our guests recommendations also help us and we do our best to attend to your needs, as we did with the WIFI and in-room safes. We will continue working hard to maintain our property in great shape.

Thank you for your kind comment about the survey. We would like to mention that this is carried out by an external company; they choose the visiting dates, and they do it randomly in order to have more reliable information.

Certainly, the aim of our correspondence today is not to find excuses but rather apologize and take actions based on your comments. Please, note that we have taken note of each one of the issues presented and have included them in a report, to be reviewed with the Department Managers.

Our main goal is to offer the best vacation to our guests, so we do hope we are able to change your last impression and turn it into a wonderful holiday once again.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This was our first stay at this wonderful adults only resort, but won't be our last. It lived up to all of the thousands of 5 star reviews with a beautiful property, great food and top shelf drinks, but the thing that sets it apart is the amazing service. There were plenty of staff in every part of the resort - unlike many all inclusives where the small staff they have is being worked to death, but the customers are still not getting the service desired. Our encounters with every staff member everywhere was so positive. They all were friendly and outgoing (and spoke wonderful English although they were very gracious when we practice our limited Spanish). The only negatives I would say are no wifi in the workout area. :-( It's an older property and although it is absolutely spotlessly clean everywhere, there were a couple of spots that could have use a little re-plaster or touch up paint. Also, remember they are preparing food for a lot of people, so don't expect 5 star restaurant quality food. That said our experience there was one of the best vacations we have ever taken, and hope to return soon!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

3 Thank Johnny K
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and the Staff of IBEROSTAR Grand, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your recent visit.

We truly appreciate that you took the time to share this amazing review with us on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure to know that your recent experience was wonderful and we were able to offer you an amazing and unforgettable experience.

We feel proud after reading your nice comments regarding our service and the efforts that our staff make daily to ensure our guests feel better than home.

The management is committed to delivering exceptional service and facilities to our guests, so your critics have been taken in consideration. We have different maintenance programs during the year to offer quality in all our facilities.

We are glad you would return to our Hotel. We will be looking forward to your next visit to the Riviera Maya and the IBEROSTAR Grand.

Truly yours,

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We revisited the Iberostar Grand Paraiso in May
It has maintained it's very high standards and I would give an unreserved recommendation with regard to this hotel
We have had great experiences at a number of Iberostar Grand hotels in recent years

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com

3 Thank Paul L
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the experience at the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

All your kind comments with regard to our facilities and improvements are greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you very much for your loyalty towards the IBEROSTAR Collection; we certainly look forward to welcoming you, hopefully very soon.

Playa Paraiso
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Excellent experience in a top hotel with excellent service and personalized attention. Great sympathy, kindness and efficiency of all workers. Excellent quality of structures, spaces very clean and very nice. A stay to remember and to repeat, no doubt. We appreciate all the care, attention and kindness with which we were received, integrated and monitored throughout our stay at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com

3 Thank Joana S
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your time to write about your stay at the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We feel much honored with your compliments about the excellent and personalized attention, the cleanliness of our hotel and also the quality of our structures.

It is great to hear that you went home with good memories and that you have the intention to visit us in the future.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience, we look forward to welcoming you soon.

Kind regards,

Quality manager
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a stay at the Grand May 23-28th. We went into this resort with high comparisons to the Secrets Maroma, as that's where we stayed on our honeymoon. We are in our late 20s just to give you a little background on who we are. First off, I can't thank mitch@tripguy.com for assisting with our travels. When we arrived to Cancun we were promptly greeted by our transfer, which was a luxury SUV just for the 2 of us as well as waters and snacks. Our check in was super easy, we decided since we were vacationing with another couple not to pay for an upgrade and hope for one at check in. The resort was fully booked so an upgrade was unavailable. Our room was very nice, our view was unfortunately of the serenity pool and a huge tree blocked most of that view. It is what it is…its true what they say…you get what you pay for. Dinners were all excellent. We never did the buffet for dinner we had prior dinner reservations made by mitch@tripguy.com I enjoyed all of them, least favorite being the mexican. But I think its just personal preferences really. The pool was awesome…I did miss having a chlorine pool as the main pool salt water. My eyes were pretty sensitive at the end of the day. The bartenders at the swim up bar are excellent. So friendly and can make anything your heart desires. "love connections" and "mini beers" What a fun treat those were!! The beach is fantastic and there is some big rock but my husband and I enjoyed looking for shells along those rocks. If you just walk 100 ft in either direction you get to sandy white beaches and turquoise water! My only true complaint if I had one would be the poolside service. We tend to hang in the pool during the day and there are plenty of chairs alongside the pool area. However, we were never greeted by any waitresses while on our chairs near the water. The people who had reserved the cabanas early in the morning would be attended to, but in order for us to get a drink my husband and I would wade across the pool to the pool bar. It wasn't that big of deal as it felt good to refresh in the pool but I was expecting 5 star attended service. Finally, in comparing this resort to secrets. I would definitely recommend the Iberostar. The rooms were roomier and bigger. If you paid for oceanfront you would definitely be getting a better view and bigger balcony. Food was better. I did feel poolside service was better at Secrets and I loved at secrets when the waiters would come out in the pool on Saturday and bring you food. You can't go wrong staying here!!! We will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: Pay for oceanfront if you can.
5 Thank KWeggles
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of all staff and the management, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso again and for sharing your experience about your stay.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful and spacious rooms, amazing pools and beach, our delicious food and the great service of our bartenders.

Our aim is always to exceed your expectations, so we hasten to express our sincere regret that your visit fell below par with the pool service. We wish to assure you that our service standards are very important to us and hence worked upon each and every day, as this is the only way in which we can and will maintain our position as a leading luxury property. We will share your evaluation to our Food & Beverage manager for his consideration.

We hope that you will continue giving us the pleasure of hosting you for your next vacations, as we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#21 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!