“Iberostar Grand”

GreenLeadersGold level
Stafford, Virginia
“Iberostar Grand”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I, along with 4 friends, vacationed at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso May 25 – 30, 2014. We travel quite a bit but I must say that this is the best resort that I have ever stayed at. The resort grounds, accommodations, food and service were excellent. The junior suites had his and her vanities in the bathroom, a chaise in the sitting area and a good-sized balcony. The architectural details throughout the resort (inside and out) were breathtaking.

We had 24 hour butler service and they responded to our every need. I want to especially thank our butler Ivan. My husband and I both forgot our toothbrushes, this is the first time this has ever happened, and didn’t realize it until that evening. I checked with the concierge which each building has, but the resort did not have toothbrushes in their stock of toiletry items. Ivan actually went to the shopping plaza on the resort to get the toothbrushes for us!!!

Several of us were celebrating birthdays and had arranged for a cake at dinner one night. There was some type of miscommunication and the restaurant did not have the cake. The head person, Victor, contacted me the following day to apologize again and say that he would have a cake for everyone at dinner that night rather than the individual cake they give to the birthday person. Not only did we have a cake that night, there was also one at dinner the following night. Please note that we dined at a different restaurant each night. The public relations person also called to apologize for the inconvenience and ask if there was anything else we needed.

The one negative to the stay was that we made our reservations several months in advance requesting adjoining/nearby rooms with king beds. My cousin was in another building with two double beds. The resort was unable to accommodate his request to switch to a room near us with a king bed. We found this to be really surprising based on the fact that we had requested the rooms so far in advance.

I asked my husband if he had any comments for the review. His reply was “The resort was excellent! Excellent! Excellent! I didn’t want to leave and I will definitely be going back.”

Room Tip: We were in building 72 which was central to everything on the resort?
Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hhc212
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review here on Trip Advisor, we appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you and your friends and celebrate with you, your birthdays.

We appreciate your kind words about our beautiful rooms and grounds, delicious food and especially of our great staff service. We have shared your comments with our entire team as they are inspiration to continue providing the high level of service standards that you have experienced during your holiday. We will congratulate Ivan for the great job he did.

Concerning the room request, as we mention to all of our guests that request any particular room or upgrade, those are subject to availability at the time of their arrival. Please rest assured that if availability allows it, we will do our best to meet your requirements.

Once again, we apologize about the slip-up with your cake and we are glad to see that it was addressed promptly by our Public Relations team.

We are grateful that you have shared your comments and we hope that you will continue giving us the pleasure of hosting your future vacations, as we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,453)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Milan, Illinois
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My wife and I stayed for third time at the Iberostar Paraiso Grand 05/09/2014 to 05/16/2014

Upon arriving at the Grand, we were greeted with a chilled cloth and your choice of champagne or mangarine sours. We both chose the mangarine.

We have traveled to different resorts, fourteen in total. Out of the twelve, twelve have been Iberostar's in Mexico, Jamaica, and the Dominican Republic. Seven of those have been the Grands in all three of the countries. I still have to say the Paraiso Grand is the best resort we have ever stayed in.

The Maya, Lindo, Beach and the Del Mar resorts are a great resorts to vacation if you are traveling with children.

This is the best staffed resort we have ever seen. Anything we would possibly need and requested, we received. I can not say enough about the General managers and the staff at the Grand! I did not find one rude or lackadaisical person here. When I ordered room service, it usually arrived within 30 minutes or less! The staff is non obtrusive and ready to help you with any requests you may have.

There is now wifi in all of the rooms and through out the resort. There is also a computer room with free internet service, several in house shops, a cigar/bar room right next to the main lobby bar for those who would like to smoke while enjoying your favorite beverage. There is a theater as well as a billiards room. All of the main bars have top shelf liquor and a large selection of different beers.

The complex is very large but easy to get around. If you need a ride anywhere you can call to have one of the employees transport you via a golf cart. Don't miss out on this. The shopping complex has a beautiful Carousel, two very large carved wooden horses, shops, plus taco, hamburger, crepe and ice cream shops as well. The "disco" night club is also found there.

The Grand is extremely elegant with a Greco-Roman theme decor that is absolutely breathtaking. It is an awe striking place to behold. There are marble floors, beautiful art work, all types of plants. The entire resort is immaculate and very well maintained without disturbing the guests! We were told by one of the butlers that the frescoes on the ceiling were painted on the ground on clear plastic and then applied to the ceilings.

The main pool is gigantic with warm salt water. There are four jacuzzi's pool side, with a very nice swim up bar.

I suggest wet shoes. The beach has rocky areas in front of the Grand. It is a better in front of the Maya. We used our shoes all of the time to save our feet whether on the beach or at the pool.

Make sure to check out the exercise room and spa area which also includes a juice bar. Also you may want to try the couples massage.

There is also a silent pool where no activities are held. It is used for total relaxation and has a waitress to supply you with drinks if needed.

The food is excellent. We enjoyed Surf and Turf the most. They have added a Mexican restaurant and would be a close to our favorite as well. There is also the Gourmet, Japanese and Italian restaurants.

If you don't want to adhere to a restaurant schedule there is a buffet. There is also 24 hour room service. Also from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm you can have a bite to eat at the air conditioned lunch buffet that sets facing the ocean, where you are able to either order from a menu or self serve at the buffet. The menu includes grilled lobster, Kobe beef burgers, steak, large prawn and few other choices. All were marvelous!!

Staying at the Grand resort allows you to use all properties at the Iberostar Paraiso complex. Any restaurant or facility you would like to use. We visited next door to the Maya - Lindo complex and found it very beautiful as well.

All of the above is due to Assistant General Manager's attention to details, whom we consider to be our friend. We met him in Jamaica where they totally took care our needs.!

To our friends, once again thank you so much for another fantastic vacation and we will be seeing again!

Room Tip: Always be polite and you will have a fantastic vacation...
6 Thank grizzwolf
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the General Manager, we would like to thank you for your loyalty towards the IBEROSTAR chain and for choosing our hotel again.

We are honored to hear that you have had a fantastic vacation. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Moreover we are happy to know that you liked our food, drinks, pool, shopping center and facilities. It is nice to read that you find our Greco-Roman decor elegant and breathtaking.

Also we really appreciate your mention of the staff and the service by our Assistant General Manager. He will be happy to read your review.

Once again thank you for your extensive positive response, and for recommending us.

We look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.

Kind regards,

Playa Paraiso
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The food is of a very high quality.
The Entertainment is excellent.
"The Starfriends" (entertainment organization) rocks!!!!!
The quality of the cocktails is very good.
The SPA is excellent.
The Mexican restaurant is the best in the Gran Paraiso.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com

4 Thank Marcos M
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your review about your experience at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. It is great to read that we have been able to provide you with everything you needed during your stay and that you went home with such great memories.

We are glad to know that you liked our new Mexican restaurant. To learn that we fulfilled your expectations concerning food and beverage quality is our best award.

Moreover, thank you for highlighting our spa facilities and excellent entertainment. Our Star Friends' team is going to be very happy to know that they were part of your fantastic stay.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Abilene, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We came over Memorial Day weekend with friends. We usually go to Secrets Maroma Beach, but tried this one out to see if we liked it. The things I liked better were: the food, the lunch with the shrimp and crab claws was amazing! I loved being able to eat all of the amazing seafood everyday. The room was not quite as nice as Secrets; the bed did not have feather comforters. However, the ocean front room we got had a beautiful balcony with a swing and a couch. It was so peaceful to go out there and relax with a book. I also liked the fact that I could go running (jogging) all around the properties and not feel afraid. I even had to dodge a peacock or two. (I could not do this at Secrets since it was too small). Golf: the course was right on the property, this was wonderful and a great course. My husband was very happy with it. He did not have to get in a cab and go far away to golf like he did at Secrets. I also liked the fact that the clientele at this resort was not so young so that we felt out of place. All ages here (of adults I mean) and that was good, we did not feel like everyone was on their honeymoon.
The only cons were: the catamarans at the beach could not be used AT ALL. We were disappointed that if there was any wind, I mean any wind; we were not allowed to take them out. I could see other resorts down the beach letting their boats out. We choose this resort specifically so that we could sail, and we were frustrated that this was not allowed the entire time we were there.
Lastly, the resort was very clean, and the shows were good in the evening. We will come again, but not to sail unfortunately. The food was very good and comparable to Secrets.

Room Tip: Ocean front
12 Thank ksmsienna
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso; it was all our pleasure to host you.

Also it is wonderful to know we exceeded your expectations as you have had the opportunity to compare our services and facilities with other hotels around the area. We strive daily to ensure that the stay of all our guests is pleasant and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the grounds with your daily jogging and that you tried our Golf Course, as it is one of our strengths.

On the other hand, we are sorry to hear that you did not have the chance to enjoy the catamarans; unfortunately it is not something that depends on us, please be assured that if the Water Sports company stopped your from going, was for your own safety as they have to follow directions from our Federal Government.

We hope that you will visit us soon, thank you once again for your detailed feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel lives up to its name, voted no.1 best allinclusive hotel in the world, and it really does, great food all day everyday something different, every night booked into different reasturants, amazing everyone of them, hotel staff very nice, entertainment around pool good fun, pool bar great for cocktails all day ! Barbecues every lunch time with lobster and steak prawns etc amazing!
Or the buffet is open as well , mussels crab all fish you can think of, and any other food you could think of, all drinks are 24hr inclusive which is great, can have delivered to your room as well, I've been to many allinclusive hotels around the world being 5star but this is the best one ever, the cabanas around the pool are great, a very spacious hotel never looks packed with people because of its size! Hope this review gives you an insight of the hotel, we stayed there may 2014 for 12nights we are two couples aged between 50 to 57yrs old, and we will def return there again soon, great value for money! There are all different age groups there as well, prob from 30yrs and above I would say, !!

Room Tip: Our room looked over the back of hotel where the indoor pool and gym is, trees etc, but our friends...
10 Thank Carol0607
Dear guest,

We felt honored with your kindly review regarding your stay at our hotel; we are very proud to know that we fulfilled your expectations as a visitor.

We will share your comments with our chefs who are always exploring for new ways to surprise and please our guests with the great food selection offered.

We would like to thank you for taking your valuable time to express your impression and we do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again with more friends and letting us be part of your experience away from home.

Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 June 2014

It was our first trip outside of the states together and our first trip to Mexico so we did not know what to expect but we were very excited. My husband did not know anything of the resort besides the name so when we arrived, he was beyond impressed with the resort, service and people. The staff at the Grand really do bend over backwards to make your stay as amazing as possible. We stayed June 1st-June 7th, 2014 and although it rained much of our trip, the beauty and amenities of the resort made the rain unnoticeable.

The food was really good. We tried buffets every night, and also had 3 ala cartes: the surf n' turf, italian, and japanese. We loved the italian the most of the ala carte's that we tried. The buffets were always nice and I will really miss the pico de gallo. It just tastes different here. We ordered room service every night and they were very prompt with food arriving no later than 30 mins after ordering and was always hot. Breakfast I adored. They had fresh crepes, omelletes, all your nomal breakfast meats, fruits, parfaits, an array of pastries.

The beach was nice, but it is a little rocky. The water is not crystal clear, but the beach is beautiful when sunny. We had a chance to do jet skiing and parasailing. The husband had never parasailed before and was deathly afraid of it, but when he did he, he loved it.

Rooms were really beautiful and large. We were in 7255 and our balcony overlooked the quiet pool. Really beautiful view and looked very tropical. We loved the swings on the balcony, really nice to watch the sunset while swaying on the swings. The bathrooms were also large, and the only suggestion I would have is to do something with the showers so the water doesn't seep into the rest of the bathroom while showering.

Staff was absolutely AMAZING. Cannot stress enough how courteous and nice they were. My husband says that it really is the staff that makes the resort so Grand and he was right. And we ventured to the other Iberostar resorts on the complex and you really do notice how the staff is different at the Grand than at the other resorts. Definitely worth the extra money to stay at the Grand.

We only went to one nightly show and it was the Magic Show on Mondays. It really was entertaining and we enjoyed it immensely.

The grounds are beautiful and it really has a tropical feel to it. The pools are also beautiful. Our favorite was the indoor spa pool because they have massage faucets in the pools.

We really enjoyed our honeymoon and cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Asmabebe
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso and for sharing your experience.

We are delighted to read that you had a memorable honeymoon with us and that you were impressed with the resort, service and people.

It is good to know that you enjoyed the food and room service and that you were satisfied with our hotel facilities such as the pool, spa, beach and the rooms.

Thank you for your kind suggestion about the showers. We will forward your comment to the responsible department.

Special thanks for acknowledging the friendliness and work performance of the staff.

We appreciate your nice feedback and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel!

Kind regards,

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This was our 8th trip to an Iberostar property, the 6th at this Grand. I'm going to start with the good news (if you are looking for the bad and the ugly....stay tuned). We were there for 12 days, so we had plenty of time to check things out.

First up, Congratulations Iberostar for joining us in 2014 by providing WiFi throughout the resort. However (bad), if you are at the Tranquility Pool on the lobby end, no connection that we could find. The beach end of it was sketchy to good. Also good, we had the best butler service since the first year they opened. Not that we needed much, but our butler(s) were always present and friendly and helpful. Also good, the resort seems to be replacing the room safes. We had a new one (our friends did not) and they are bigger and have a light in the hinge so you can actually see inside.

One of the best parts of being a "frequent flier" at the Grand is the staff. They do a very good job keeping their staff. Olivia was there working her magic. Our group (of 8) requested Lobster Lasagna in the Italian Restaurant and she made it happen! Victor (head butler) was there to greet us when we arrived and asked us if he could do anything for us every time we saw him.
And Mirna (anybody who has met Mirna wants to bring her home). She is the waitress at the Tranquility Pool and if you want to see someone work their butt off, just watch her literally run with a tray full of drinks! I adore her! I had a massage for the first time in the spa at the Grand. Normally we have to go to the plaza spa. So if you are going to get one, ask for it on the grounds. It was so much more convenient. I had the deep tissue from Cony and I'm telling you, she was wonderful. I will ask for her again and again.

That said, I need to share something I learned this trip. For all of you non-tippers ("it's All Inclusive and that means I don't have to tip"). You know who you are. And I'm not posting this without checking it out. I went to www.wageindicator.org and the state of Quintana Roo (B column) has a minimum wage for maids of 77.22 pesos per day. Yes I wrote 77.22 pesos per day. You do the math. The bartenders make a whopping 81.18 pesos per day. Now, Iberostar does give them small bonuses during the busy season. But come on!!!! If you can afford to stay at the Grand, go to the bank and take out a couple of hundred dollars in ones and give one every time these wonderful people hands you a drink. And when you go to dinner and a waiter/waitress is serving you everything, go big and leave a five spot. You won't notice it, but I can tell you, it makes a huge difference in their life. Okay, I will now step down from my soap box.

Here's where I give you my travel tips.....we stay in Building 71, 3rd floor. It's ocean front and just fabulous. Well worth the upgrade. We stay on the 3rd floor because their wonderful housekeepers actually move the bed out when they clean. Being on the top floor means you don't have furniture moving over your head, or people either for that matter. They have great hangers there, just not enough of them. I go to Wal-Mart and for a little over a buck I buy the drip dry hangers (2-10 packs, but then again, we stay longer than normal). They also have pull out laundry racks on the balconies. Wonderful, but if you take the jumbo plastic clothespins, your suits dry out faster and you can hang more of them. We also always take our own Bubba Mug type drinking cups. They are insulated and keep the ice from melting so fast. Also with the addition of WiFi, I used my iPad a lot and wished I had brought my spray screen cleaner. Next year. Make sure you take plenty of sunscreen and bug spray...it's expensive in the shops. Oh, and ladies, leave your perfume at home as it does attract the mosquitos. A big thank you to Iberostar this year for spraying for them, as I only had a couple of bites as opposed to years past. We also always take pool floaties. They will inflate them for you at the towel shed. We just find someone who has just arrived to pass them on to. Take a few dryer sheets for your luggage on the way home. The humidity makes your clothes smell damp. If you go to the Tranquility Pool (we like it because it's a little warmer and the Star Friends are busy at the other pool), the dark wood that rims the pool is hotter than you want to step on. We just take one of the dirty towels from the bench and wet it in the pool and make a "mat" to walk across. Rafael.....how about getting some real pool mats to save your guests feet?

A side note tip...we always use Cancun Shuttle to get to and from the airport. Their cars are clean and their drivers are superb. You have direct transportation without stopping at many other resorts to drop off other passengers. I highly recommend them.

If you have been there before and they groomed the beach every morning, that didn't happen this year. But I found out it was because the sea turtles were laying their eggs. Iberostar is very concerned to not disrupt this process...just a side note. They were in the process of painting the wall sconces on the covered paths so many are missing. In 12 days we just didn't see any progress.

Now for the sort of bad. The ice machines that were broken in building 71 last year are still broken (and there are many). The resort knows the big arrival day of the week, so after only one or two days you will be presented with a survey at dinner. They want your comments before you have a chance to experience much. Hold onto it and fill it out right before you leave and turn it in when you check out. The showers throughout the resort go hot and cold. They have since day one and probably nothing can be done about it, just warning you. And don't let anyone flush the toilet while you are in there. Posi-temp valves have not made their way there.

The ugly.....I had been in contact with the General Manager (who is new since our visit last year at the same time). My beef is with the pool chairs. They have had the same pads and chairs since they opened in 2007 and were awful. Rafael sent me pictures of the new chairs and pads and I was elated. Imagine my disappointment when we arrived at the Tranquility Pool to find old chairs and pads. Not just old Grand chairs and pads, but old Maya chairs and pads. The Maya got all new chairs and pads so they brought their old ones to the Grand (?). I have never ever written a bad review for the Grand and I have never posted pictures. Well, folks, this is the review where I show you what I'm talking about. Rafael came to find us (after my snarky emails from the pool) and he told us that they were replacing them, it just takes time. Well I have met with the General Managers for 3 years now and have always been told they would have new ones by the time we got back. 3 years. So I'm not going to tell you that it's getting better as I have done in years past. They are gross and I will tell you they are better when I have actually parked my butt in them. (see pictures). Another issue is they are replacing most with the "beds". Well, that's sweet for the honeymoon, but for us older folks, the beds don't sit up for reading! Their comment cards should be a little more extensive. Also the couches on the patio have become very faded. Not dirty, not torn, just faded. Fabric dye would be an inexpensive solution to spruce them up. The teak floors on the patios could also use a little luster.

As for our dining experience....like I said, we've been here before. We went to the Japanese restaurant and had 8:30 reservations. (Later than we normally like). We didn't even get our appetizers until 9:30! They served sushi before that, but we don't like sushi. The chicken was way under cooked and two of our party got sick. We also went to the new Mexican al la carte, Bellavista. It's new this year. We had 7:30 reservations, our appetizers came at 8:30 and our main course arrived at 9:00. They do have an appetizer buffet, but the body builder in our group who usually orders doubles of everything went up and came back without a plate. If it didn't appeal to him, we didn't waste the trip. On a scale from 1 to 10, this restaurant gets a 5. Now Humberto was our waiter and he did a great job. The drinks arrived promptly, but he couldn't deliver the food if it wasn't ready. We won't go back to either of these restaurants. Stick with the Surf & Turf, Italian, and the Gourmet (French). You'll be happy. OR go to the buffet and have some cheese, crackers, and wine....then go to them.

A lot of work was being done around the resort (replacing the tile roofs on the covered walkways), but the buildings and such around the pool were looking moldy and some places look like they just ran out of paint.

I still think it is an excellent resort and we will go back; because of the people, and will be always hoping that it will be better.

In closing, thank you Mirna, Victor, (the two recipients of my Trip Advisor excellent service pins), Olivia, Alex, Ruben, Io"Ana", Sergio, Jesus, and many others.

19 Thank Mindy F
Dear guest,

Thank you for your loyalty to the chain and our hotel.

We are glad to know that you are a big fan of the IBEROSTAR experience, including top notch of food and beverage, and top class service. Your evaluation is of special importance to us, as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services over several years.

We are concerned that some of your expectations were not fulfilled. There is certainly always room for improvement and during this busy period it seems that we had less attention to detail than usual and we apologize profusely about that. We are sorry to hear you suffered water temperature fluctuations; one of our main pumps broke down and we have been working on it as we needed to make some important changes with the whole piping system to avoid bigger problems.

Regarding the inconvenience you had at our restaurants, we apologize about the errors made, please note that we have personally passed your feedback on to the pertinent department heads. We are organizing training sessions for different departments to ensure an excellent quality is delivered, and your feedback is definitely key to know more about what we need to work on.

Regarding the sun chairs by the tranquility pool, we would like to mention that those are not the newest ones. They chairs are being replaced by areas, i.e. they have been replaced by the beach and main pool. We would also like to mention that our Management and Maintenance Department are constantly working on areas to be improved. Our guests recommendations also help us and we do our best to attend to your needs, as we did with the WIFI and in-room safes. We will continue working hard to maintain our property in great shape.

Thank you for your kind comment about the survey. We would like to mention that this is carried out by an external company; they choose the visiting dates, and they do it randomly in order to have more reliable information.

Certainly, the aim of our correspondence today is not to find excuses but rather apologize and take actions based on your comments. Please, note that we have taken note of each one of the issues presented and have included them in a report, to be reviewed with the Department Managers.

Our main goal is to offer the best vacation to our guests, so we do hope we are able to change your last impression and turn it into a wonderful holiday once again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!