“Amazing”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Been to handful of resorts - this was the most expensive and by far the best. Great food quality for an all inclusive resort, very relaxing and not too noisy, nice long clean beach with white sand and turquoise water. Great liquor selection at the bars.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com
4  Thank Kit K
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

We are delighted to read that you have had an amazing vacation at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso, thank you for pointing out some aspects of your stay as our quality food and beverages, wonderful beach and relaxing atmosphere.

Once again thank you for your review, it is good to read that you enjoyed your experience among us.

We hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you; we really look forward to welcoming you soon.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (6,157)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at the Grand from June 16-21. We normally travel with our kids to all-inclusives each year, to various places in Mexico and Caribbean. We decided to leave them at home this year and since we're already Iberostar fans, chose the Grand. Easy flight from Denver to Cancun, which maximized our vacation time vs. flying to the Caribbean. We chose to forego the included Apple Vacations transfer and used Canada Transfers from the airport. Great decision. It was one hour from getting off the plane to arriving at the Grand, in a nice AC van with cold beers and towels.

I've researched the Grand to death over the past few months, reading every review, looking at every picture, reading forums and blogs. I feel like I really knew what to expect when I arrived and everything I read was spot on. The resort is immaculate and the service is out of this world. When Daniel brought us our welcome drinks upon check-in, I almost said "Hi, Daniel!" because I recognized him from pictures and reviews! He immediately felt like a friend to us. We visited with him nightly at the lobby bar, enjoying his drinks and chatting with him.

It did take a while between checking in, having our bags delivered to room 7256 (main floor of building, overlooking tranqility pool) and meeting our butler, Ruben. We asked for a bottle of scotch and chose our pillows and mini-bar preferences and went out to explore and have dinner. By the time we returned later that evening, we had everything we asked for, including ice (which was delivered late afternoon each day). I am not a good sleeper in hotel rooms, but I slept wonderfully here. We came home and bought pillows similar to what we had at the Grand! We did get turn-down service each night but no towel animals or bubble baths. This was fine for us, as long as the room was clean. The bathroom was beautiful but was a strange layout. I'd prefer that the toilet was private so someone else could use the sink, etc.

We only made one dinner reservation for Toni's, which was wonderful. Great steak. Otherwise, we were happy with the buffets. Great service in the buffets, too. Almost to the point where we were asked TOO many times if everything was OK and if we needed anything! We loved having lobster available at all times (got sick of it by the end of our stay). By far the best food we've ever eaten at an AI. We only ordered room service once, for breakfast. Ordered way too much food and felt bad that a lot went to waste.

We started our week at the activity pool. StarFriends are amazing and there is no pressure to participate in their activites. We love a good laugh and having drinks, but there were some wedding parties hogging the pool bar so by mid-week, we were spending more time at the quiet pool. We were never without a drink - Myrna was amazing with her constant running around taking care of the quiet pool guests. We also spent a couple of afternoons at the beach, where drink service was a bit more slow but they had a lot of ground to cover. A huge bonus would be a self-service bar on the beach like the other IBs have. Was it the most gorgeous beach I've ever been on? No, but it was still pretty and long enough to take some nice walks in either direction. We also checked out the spa pool one afternoon. Amazing water features and so relaxing. Don't miss it. I do agree with other reviewers that more places to put dirty towels would be nice. If you take your dirty towel back to the towel hut, that leaves your chair available for others to use. We never had a problem with getting chairs at any pool or beach, regardless of the time of day. Maybe the hotel was not very full so there was no reason to save chairs?

Since we were travelling alone, we did not want to venture off property or do any excursions this time. This trip was for total quiet and relaxation, which we received. We did take a golf cart over to the shopping center one night before dinner. Worth checking out but we only spent an hour browsing and came back to the Grand.

When we last stayed at the Lindo, the Maya and Grand were not yet built so it was fun for us to check out all of the resorts. My sister-in-law was staying at Del Mar when we were at the Grand, so we visited with her one morning. She was happy with her choice - good service and food there, as well. Next time we bring the kids, we'll stay at Maya or Lindo because I'm not sure I can deal with eating without air conditioning! That is the only negative I saw to the Del Mar.

I've never given one of my hotel reviews 5 stars, and other than the Lindo, have never said "I'll be back". I will be back as soon as I can and can see why we met so many people that book this resort over and over again. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

Room Tip: Loved the quiet pool view and location. Close to everything.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Kelly2beach
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. We are so glad to know that you had a great time with us enjoying a different kind of vacation without your children, this time. It is always nice to have time as a couple and we are so happy that you decided to make this time with us.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed the variety of food, beverages, the entertainment activities, and last but not least the service and friendly staff. Thank you for your special mention of Myrna. We feel very proud to keep creating memorable experiences for our guests as it is our main goal to get your entire satisfaction.

Regarding the towels we are working on having more baskets and spots to leave your dirty towels, meanwhile we have our fabulous Pool concierge team who will be pleased to assist you taking and placing them on the right spot, thank you for the mention, as all your suggestions and comments help us to improve our services.

Concerning the turndown service as standard our hotel's housekeeping does not make animal towels and daily bubble baths, except for special occasions. However, if you like them, our staff will be more than happy to oblige. So please do not hesitate to let us know about this on your next stay; it will be our pleasure to assist you.

We hope to have the opportunity of hosting you back soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed May 23-28 with another couple and could not say enough great things. The beach was absolutely beautiful. The service, rooms, and food were also great. I was very impressed with every meal I had. We had previously stayed at Secrets Maroma and this was a much more luxurious and enjoyable experience. We used Mitch Toren at TripGuy and he was extremely responsive and checked in on us several times during our stay. I would reccomend this resort to anyone who wants a relaxing, luxurious getaway on a beautiful beach!

Room Tip: We stayed in a garden view room, you will not have much of a view, but we did not spend much time in...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jessica S
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your time to write about your stay at the IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso, it is very important for us to receive our guests ‘opinions.

We feel honored with your praise about the beautiful beach, the great service, the rooms and the delicious food.

It is a wonderful compliment to read that you consider your stay very personalized and enjoyable. Our intention is to make our guests' experience unforgettable.

Thank you once again for sharing your review. We are looking forward to welcoming you once again.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

If you have read other reviews of the Grand, then you know that there are a high number of repeat guests such as myself. Many have described in detail the great location, spectacular beach, amazing food, top shelf drinks, over-the-top architecture, spacious rooms with the most comfortable beds ever, and excellent golf course. While these are all true and great reasons to return, most of these attributes could honestly be found in other resorts. What sets the Grand apart and keeps us coming back year after year, however, is the amazing staff! We are set to return for our 6th visit next month, and I can honestly say that rekindling our friendships with the wonderful people who work at the Grand is what we look forward to most! There is Ricardo, who never fails to great us with a “welcome home” when we arrive; the lovely ladies at the front desk who make the the check-in process fast and easy; Victor (Head Butler) and Charlie, who will literally do anything in their power to make your stay better; Eder, who is now in charge of the entire entertainment staff, but still finds time to play volleyball with us and made special effort to meet us in the lobby to say good-bye when we were leaving last year; Eduardo, who makes all the activities and games fun for everyone; Humberto and Daniel who work tirelessly all day at the bars (Humberto even make a special drink just for my wife - even better than Andrea's cucumber mojito); and finally, the amazing Olivia who makes her world famous omelets at breakfast and returns for pool-side cooking demonstrations at lunch. Of course, there are also the amazing waiters, beach attendants, concierges, maids, and other staff who are too numerous to name individually, but never fail to impress with their friendliness and desire to serve! These wonderful people, many of whom have been present for all of our visits over the past 6 years, are truly what makes the Grand so special. Go for the great facilities, beach, and food. Return for the amazing people who are the heart and soul of the Grand! If you do go, please treat our friends well, show them your appreciation with kind words, and be sure to tip! To our friend at the Grand: We look forward to seeing you all soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank colleyvillept

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time you spent to share your impressions about your stay at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. It is great to know that the next month you will set to return for your 6th visit; we really appreciate your loyalty towards our hotel.

We are delighted to read that you felt pampered and that we exceeded your expectations. It is always rewarding to know that our guests have enjoyed their vacations with us.

Moreover, we are glad to know that as other travelers, you liked our location, accommodations, gastronomy, beverages, golf course and beach, among others.

Last but not least, we are enchanted to read your lovely comments about our staff; we always strive to deliver an excellent and personalized service to all our guests, we will certainly not fail to convey your kind compliments to all of them for their contribution to your wellbeing.

Once again thank you for your visit, we look forward to welcoming very soon!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Once again we spent our wedding anniversary at a beautiful resort. This year it happened to be Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso where we stay from June 11 to June 18. We were accompanied by our best friends who were also celebrating their 29th wedding anniversary. I can only compare this resort with the Iberostar Grand Bravo in Dominican Republic where we spent our 39th wedding anniversary (a one-week stay) last year. The resort is grand as stated in its name high-quality, beautiful, charming and very relaxing. We had an ocean view room on the second floor of building #71 just feet from the ocean. I don't recall the times I have seen a full Moon shine as beautifully as it shined off the waters from our balcony a scene I will never forget. The grounds of the hotel is in In immaculate condition, the paintings and artwork sometimes spellbound. There are two wooden carvings of horses in one of the lobbies that is just gorgeous....a true work of art. The staff is very considerate and professional as they learn your names they address you by your name which makes it very personal. The food at the buffet restaurant is the best... It covers all the faults of the reservation restaurant and the variety of food is top-quality. If you are a golfer you will love the Playa Paraiso golf course. I haven't played golf in a year, but after spending a couple of hours on two occasions on the driving range there, I played the course with my best friend and I can truly say I had fun. It's not about the beauty of the course but the challenge, I'm sure a golfer can appreciate it. Thanks to my wife (Thelma) this was another marvelous vacation....happy 40th wedding anniversary honey. I do recommend!!!
Tommy "Tee"

Room Tip: Ocean view room was are great
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Tommy T
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear guest;

Thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for your wedding anniversary. It is nice to read that you went home with good memories. We are very grateful for the time you took to share the experience with other travelers.

We are also very pleased to know that you fully enjoyed your stay including our beautiful, charming and very relaxing rooms and grounds, and food & beverages services.

One of our main aims is to pamper our guests with our personalized service to make them feel comfortable, so we are proud to know that we reached our goal with you.

We will be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I spent a week here in May 2014. The resort is beautiful and relaxing.

PROS:
- The room was lovely and spacious. We loved the door between the bed area and the bathroom hallway, the room darkening drapes, the large balcony and comfortable sitting area. I am a complete germ-o-phobe and found the room to be clean.

- Pools are clean and well maintained, loungers are comfortable and drink service is frequent and friendly.

- Food is very good for an all-inclusive. Service was excellent at the a la cartes and usually good at the breakfast and lunch buffets. Waitstaff was almost always extremely attentive (expect for 1 or 2 times when they were understaffed at buffets, but that is not the fault of the waiters).

- Staff was respectful and friendly.

- Omelet and salad buffet chef was very sweet and made wonderful omelets (sorry I can't remember her name).

- Grounds are beautiful. We loved walking around after dinner.

- Beach has very clean, pretty sand with a comfortable breeze.

- Bike tour was a nice way the first morning, to learn the layout of the 5 resorts and shopping complex. Andy, our guide, was friendly and went out of his way to provide great service.

- The Amstar rep onsite at the Grand, Gloria, was wonderful, helping us decide which tour would be the best choice for us and explaining in depth every option. She has been on every tour they offer, we loved that she was able to share first hand knowledge to us. We booked a tour for the Jungle Maya/Tulum with AllTournative. Our guide, Alejandra was amazing. Jungle Maya includes swimming, rappeling into, zip lining into and snorkeling in cenotes as well as a 3 section zip line over the jungle, a walk and 4 x 4 ride through the jungle and an authentic Mayan meal. I was at first a bit concerned as to whether proper safety measures were in place, but found they absolutely went above and beyond in that department. We purchased the CD with photos taken by the company and though pricey, is such a wonderful memory to have and to show friends and family. We loved this excursion so much we have decided to bring our kids to Mexico next year so they can experience it as well.

- We booked reflexology massages in the spa and left with our neck, back and legs feeling more relaxed than we had in years. The therapists worked out knots we didn't even know we had. Highly recommend this.

CONS
- The towel game is absolutely ridiculous. We actually had an employee near the pool tell us on our first evening there that we should plan to come out at 7am to reserve our seats using personal belongings (book, shirt, etc.) if we want to be near the main pool. She also let us know that belongings can be left for up to 2 hours, but would then be removed and that towels without personal belongings are removed promptly. We NEVER saw anyone removing belongings and had witnessed many instances where seats were saved all day only to either never be used, or be used for a short time late in the afternoon. We saw one couple take over a section of 4 loungers (for the 2 of them) in the sun and then reserve 2 loungers in a cabana across the pool, as well as 2 of the seats in the shallow bit of the pool; they rotated between these 8 seats throughout the day. If we arrived at the main pool later than 8 or 9, we could not expect to find loungers. The staff really needs to monitor this better and adhere to the policy of removing belongings left on unused seats. Most guests leave towels behind on the loungers when they are done for the day, because there isn't really a convenient way to return them (one towel station towards back corner of pool area), we noticed that staff would not come by to clean these until late afternoon, therefore tying up seats that others may need. It was generally easier to find open loungers at the Tranquility pool (though not always in a shaded spot) and at the beach. We recognize that adults should be more respectful regarding use of loungers, owever the resort should have a strict policy of removing unattended belongings (to be collected by their owners from the towel concierge desk).

- The beach, while pretty to look at was not swimmable. We realized the resort cannot control mother nature, however it is important to note that this is not the resort to go to if you love swimming in the sea. There was a red flag out each day due to rip currents and when we asked the staff, they did say this was fairly common. Without the rip currents, the beach may be somewhat swimmable but does have very large boulders near the shoreline that would make it less than ideal. Also acceptable, but not great for long walks.

- Butler service was non-existent. We didn't mind not having butler service, but we feel that Iberostar should not be advertising something that is not actually given. On arrival, the bellhop showed us to our room and asked that we wait to meet with our butler who would be "up within minutes". After 45 min., and being anxious to leave our room, we rang for a butler, we were again told "within minutes". After about another 20 min, a butler showed up and asked why we had called for him. Confused, we stated that we were told to wait for him and he would get us settled. He replied, politely, asking what services do we require. At this point we asked what it is that he provides and would he please just give us a basic orientation. He said, if we wanted, we could tell him what we would like in the mini bar and choose specific pillows. We did so and later received the pillows and minibar items requested. This was the only time our minibar was filled, despite the fact that the tip money we left in the fridge was collected, even our water bottles and sodas were never replenished. We did call the front desk mid-week to request more water and soda, which was sent up, but not replenished again after that (though we also did not specifically ask). Overall, not enough of an issue to detract from our enjoyment of the trip, however we were suprised to see tip money collected but the service not provided. Again, we suggest that the Grand not advertise as having butler service.

Overall, we had a wonderful week. Most of it was spent at the resort and we loved being pampered and relaxing from the chaos of everyday life. We would most likely not return, because of the issues with reserved seats and because we prefer a more swimmable beach. We will be booking our family trip elsewhere, but only due to those two issues. However, if you don't care to swim in the sea and don't mind joining in the towel game, then you can't go wrong in choosing this resort. Thank you to Iberostar Grand employees for the excellent service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank NCFamily0f6

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about your stay at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. We are glad to know you enjoyed our beautiful resort, spacious and beautiful rooms, delicious food, our clean pools, comfortable lounge chairs, the spa treatments and the great staff service.

On the other hand we are sorry to read we could not go beyond your expectations regarding the butler service. We would like to apologize as well for the inconveniences you had with the pool service, please note that we have personally passed your feedback on to the pertinent department heads, in order to review our practices, processes, and procedures as we continuously strive to offer the best quality.

We are sorry to hear that you could not enjoy our hotel beach. We have the responsibility of preserving our environment for future generations, and we make efforts to keep it clean without altering the ecosystem.

We look forward to welcoming you back to show you our improvements. We assure you that our service standards are very important to us and hence worked upon each and every day, as this is the only way in which we can and will maintain our position as a leading luxury property.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is a perfect all adult resort! We stayed at in a ocean view suite with jacuzzi tub on the deck. Well worth the extra cost for the room!!! Food Amazing, Lots to do, fun pool with lots of activity and a few pools off to the side for more quite time. Staff went out of there way to help you and yes bring singles to tip as they appreciate it. The beach was ruff waves while we were there but beautiful view. We will be back with friends!

Room Tip: Book a Ocean Front Room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa G

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your time to write about your stay at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

It is great to learn through your review that you enjoyed very much your beautiful room with the amazing sea view, the delicious food and the fun activities.

It is our goal to provide our guests with an amazing and unforgettable vacation, so we are glad to read that our staff was very helpful and focused on offering that experience during your stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you next time with your friend.

Quality manager

#2 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!