“Perfect Vacation”

GreenLeadersGold level
RI
“Perfect Vacation”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is our 3rd experience at an Iberostar Grand. We have visited the Grand in Punta Cana & Janaica. Although they were both absolutely wonderful & I would recommend a visit to each, the Iberostar Grand Paraiso is simply heaven on earth. Stunning architecture, beautiful grounds, delicious food, gorgeous beach and most of all, the hardest working most accommodating, friendly staff you could ever encounter. They go above and beyond to make you feel like royalty. We have visited many all-inclusives over the years & haven't returned back to any of them only because we enjoy new experiences. That being said, we will absolutely return to the Grand Paraiso!!! The sooner we go back the better!

6 Thank peaceandnature
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear guest,

Firstly, we would like to thank you very much for your stay and positive feedback about out resort IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. We are grateful for your loyalty with the IBEROSTAR hotels.

Moreover, we are really happy to hear that you had a fantastic vacation. It is a pleasure to make your stay memorable, and we are thrilled to know that you enjoyed our installations, grounds, food and the services provided by our lovely staff during your stay. We will make sure to share your comments with them since they are an invaluable motivational tool.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback and also for recommending us!

We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,454)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

First let me start off my saying, we've stayed at the number one ranked all inclusive every year since 2011. I expected everything to live up to the standard of the Iberostar Grand in the Dominican Republic, and it did. It was extremely grand and over the top. The dining experiences were not as great DR, but still no reason to complain. The property is huge, we stayed in building 70. Our ocean view was great from room 722. We spent the majority of our time at the main pool, it's full of activities and the swim up bar is great. I would return without hesitation.

Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Nrntvn
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for choosing our IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso for your vacation. Thank also for your loyalty towards the IBEROSTAR hotels.

We are much honored to have you as a guest and to have met your expectations.

We are also pleased to know that you enjoyed your room location, our pool area including our entertainment, and swim up bar.

Regarding our gastronomy, we appreciate your words and we will work harder in order to surpass our guests´ expectations.

Once again, thank you for your comments about your stay and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Charleston
Reviewed 28 July 2014

4th trip to Mexico: 1st trip advisor review….

Don't get me wrong- The place itself was truly amazing. Over the top, right on the beach, wonderful food. The trip started off great. We were upgraded to oceanfront with no extra charge, AWESOME SAUCE! Everyone was so nice at first. As the week progressed tho, we maybe saw the butler twice and service just went flat. Now granted, I originally wasn't expecting the butler service and maybe they knew we got the free upgrade so they didn't care. That didn't bother me, we don't mind doing things for ourselves and most of the time I prefer it that way. However, since we got the upgrade we were far from the lobby. They told us we just needed to call the concierge and they would have someone drive us via golf cart from the building we were in to the golf course (2 days) and the spa at the shopping center on the days we booked those services. Not once was this done. Okay no big deal, I don't mind walking since we were indulging ourselves with food and drink. However, walking back one day from the shopping center, three golf carts passed us and did not offer a ride or ask where we were going.

One of the last days we were there I got stung by a bee and as my finger was swelling to twice it's size I was told it would be 15-20 minutes for ice.. The room where they made drinks for the beach service was directly across from ours also right by the concierge desk… I got stung at about 9am and they don't start using that room until around 10am. Was it really going to take 15 minutes to walk 5 feet and unlock the door ?? I politely told concierge to forget it and walked to the breakfast buffet and got it myself. Thank God I didn't have an anaphylactic reaction. Later that day we decided to head to the pool where I got manhandled, dunked, and knocked in the face by drunk college students, who I get are living it up, but the Star Friends were unable to control the situation. Also, they were drunk standing up on the pool bar, knocking things around, stepping in front of people and the bar tenders just let it happen. I stayed at the Iberostar Lindo a couple years ago and got married at the Iberostar in Jamaica… never had any issues. I know you cannot control how people act but when the safety of others becomes a concern I feel there should have been a sense of urgency.
Unfortunately, I can say we will never stay at the Grand again. For me we will stay at Bahia for amazing customer service and genuine care.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

11 Thank BeachBum1084
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for visiting us and for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. Our guests' opinions and suggestions are very important to us to work on our weaknesses.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed our amazing beach and also that you liked our accommodations. We also appreciate your comments about our delicious food.

On the other hand, we would like to offer our sincere apologies if your stay with us was not satisfactory, this is not the experience that we want that our guests take back home. We are truly sorry if you felt that as your stay progressed, our service was worsening. Our main goal is always to pamper our guests´ and fulfill all their needs.

Concerning the inconvenience you had about our golf carts, we try to assist our guests taking them as soon as possible to their destinations. Please let us share with you that the shopping center is a facility shared by all the hotels in the complex, and each has their own golf carts. When any of our sister hotels' bellboys identify guests from the Grand, they usually call us and our bellboys will go to pick you up. However we are sorry about the lack of service experienced. We are organizing meetings with the rest of the hotels to coordinate our efforts better to avoid these inconveniences to our guests.

In reference to the incident you had with the bee sting, we always do our best to gather efforts with all departments to offer the best service, please accept our sincere apologies for not bringing the ice as quickly as we should have done. This has been reviewed with the Public Relations Department to have a much quicker response when our guests require our help.

Once again, thank you for your constructive review. Please be sure that all the matters described by you will be addressed to each Department Manager for evaluation and improvement of our services.

We would like to invite you to give us the opportunity to host you again, in order to show you that your comments are taken very seriously.

Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We have been to three all-inclusive hotels in the Cancun/Cozumel region, and this Iberostar Grand is by far our favorite. In fact, we've vacationed there three times in five years.

The grounds are beautiful, the food variety and flavor and quality is superb, staff are very helpful. This is a great place for adult couples who want to relax, or newlyweds looking for an exciting way to celebrate the beginning of their marriage.

Room Tip: There are two levels of rooms: with a beach view, and without a beach view. Personally, I don't...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TechnoGeek111
Dear guest,

On behalf of the Manager and the staff, we would like to thank you for posting your opinion about our resort.

We are delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay, from the beautiful grounds to our delicious tasty and varied gastronomy.

Moreover, we are extremely proud to know that our staff worked towards achieving your total wellbeing and that you consider IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso your favorite all-inclusive hotel. We are honored.

Thank you for recommending us! We hope to welcome you again soon for another unforgettable vacation.

IBEROSTAR México
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon on Saturday night. We had a great time! There are some definite pluses and minuses about this resort.

+ First and foremost: ADULTS ONLY. This was amazing. Other reviewers have mentioned this so I won't linger here. But if you're asking yourself, Is it worth it? the answer is YES.

- The restaurants. We tried three of the al la carte restaurants: Surf and Turf, Japanese, and Italian. They were mediocre at best. I could get better Japanese food at the mall (the "sushi" was no good; It would be beaten by the stuff I get at the grocery store) and the lobster was a bit tough. My husband did enjoy his steak. The Italian was just bad. Gross. Tough, rubbery fried calamari, nasty calzone filled with something that resembled tofu scramble (??), mushy tomatoes on the caprese... We sent back literally everything - even the gelatinous tiramisu - and went to the buffet instead.
Now, we are on the picky side of things, but I don't see how anyone could like the food there. We did run into some people who said the food was excellent...maybe they were drunk, or maybe we are just too picky!
Besides the food, the service was slow. We waited 45 minutes in between our appetizer and entree at the surf and turf. The waitstaff was extremely friendly and apologized profusely for the delays, but they blamed it on the kitchen being busy. We tried to keep our mouths from dropping open as we surveyed the empty room around us. Seriously, about 5 tables in the restaurant were occupied. We soon realized that the restaurants were seriously pretty bad.

+ The buffet. We were saved from starvation by the buffet! I've been on countless cruises as an employee, and normally I see the restaurants as being the classy places where people get a little dressed up and enjoy superior food, and the lido buffet is where the people go in their workout clothes or swimsuit cover ups with their butt cheeks hanging out. NOT the case here! I was shocked to see that most of the guests were dressed very nicely in the buffet - ladies in dresses and nice shoes, men in button downs and shorts (my husband was excited he could wear shorts!). There were also people in simple shorts and tank tops, and they didn't look or feel out of place at all.
And the food - it was pretty good! two of the three nights we were there they had king crab and lobster out. I nearly fainted: all you can eat crab?? This was the place for me. My husband got steaks cooked to order. A little on the cheap side with the cut, but since it was a buffet he could order two or three, cut off the fat, and have a whole steak's worth of meat. The point is that the food was hot and fresh and fast - no more waiting 45 minutes for lukewarm, lackluster food.
The buffets at breakfast and lunch were also awesome. I only wish I could have eaten more because there were so many choices! I'm already missing the fresh, ripe mango. And the servers were very efficient and nice.

+ The entertainment and activities. We never wanted for "something to do." Admittedly, we weren't looking for an activity every hour of the day. We were on our honeymoon, and among other things ...ahem... we just wanted to relax. But when we did want to get involved, we did. I highly recommend the water aerobics - not so much for exercise, but for fun! There were three different instructors, and they were silly, playful, and creative. I enjoyed the yoga, too. We only went to one of the nightly shows, a tribute to the Beatles, and it was unintentionally HILARIOUS. Definitely check it out if you can. You can hear your favorite Beatles songs sung earnestly by the Mexican performers decked out in outrageous costumes. Who can forget the classics like "Jyesterday" and "Hey Yude"?

+ The bars. Great bartenders - they will make you anything. As stated by previous reviewers: if you ask for top shelf, they will give it to you.

+ Our room. We had a standard suite, nothing fancy....but it was superb. Very great suite, marble floors, big bathroom, big bed, great little sitting area, and a window looking out to the tranquility pool. We were so happy with it.

+/- The service. Most of the staff were friendly, helpful, etc. However, our room didn't get turned down for two days and we had to go to the front desk to complain. That is definitely not something that would happen at a real 5 star! The concierge and butler service was mostly good, although one night we ordered a DVD and it took them over an hour to get to us. This seemed to be a one off and had something to do with people changing shifts or something. Also, we were supposed to get the "Honeymoon Package" where they left you little things in your room, decorated the bed with rose petals, etc and this did not happen. Finally, after asking three times on three separate days, they went all out on our last night and really went wild with those rose petals. That sort of made up for it, but I didn't like having to complain and ask for it.

So all in all, the pluses outweigh the minuses and we enjoyed ourselves. Here are a few tips that we picked up:

1. BRING WATER SHOES. Do it. "But I have tough, hobbit feet, I'll be fine..." NO. YOU WON'T. You can find some at Wal-Mart for under 10 bucks and you need them. The beach is rocky. I read this in other reviews and imagined what I found in other beaches in the Caribbean, which is lots of little rocks leading up to the water's edge and then eventually you'll get to the sandy part. Nope, not here! The sand is wonderfully smooth and soft....and then, lurking under the water, you will cut your feet up and stub your toe on these giant hidden rock formations. My husband cut his toe (and his shin, and his hand) the first day and it really bothered him the rest of the trip. He even had to avoid the beach somewhat due to sand getting into his cut. I brought the shoes and I was fine. BRING WATER SHOES!!!!

2. Drink water in between your alcoholic drinks. I know, I'm not your mother, but hear me out. You are most likely not used to the heat, humidity, and being out in the sun all day, and you are hopefully not used to drinking all day every day. Trust me - ask the bartenders for a bottle of water now and then.

3. Bring aloe vera AND more sunscreen than you think you'll need. You might think you won't get sunburned - and hopefully you won't! - but if you do you'll want to have your own aloe. You do not want to run out of sunscreen either. These two things are Mexican gold. Sunscreen is close to $40 USD and aloe $20. IF YOU DO RUN OUT DO NOT BUY SOME FROM THE GIFT SHOP!!!! They will give you some for free at the towel station by the activity pool. They also have bandaids there and books/magazines.

4. Bring a little bug spray and after bite stick. You will probably need both.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the tranquility pool. It is quiet - for obvious reasons - but very close to the ac...
12 Thank AprilHeidrich
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write your experience about your stay at our hotel. We are glad to know that overall, you had a great time.Certainly your feedback is the best way for us to grow up, identify our opportunity areas and work on them to become in the best choice for honeymooners like you.

We are happy to know that you loved the food at our buffet. On the other hand we are sorry that your culinary journey in our specialty restaurants did not live up your expectations. The Italian restaurant is normally one of the most popular and requested restaurants, however, we will discuss all the points you mentioned with our Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager to work on this.

Concerning the amenities received as honeymooners, we sincerely regret that it took us so long to offer you the surprise that you appreciated so much during your stay. We usually schedule the amenities for one night so that this does not affect other activities that you might have planned, such as the shows or dinners.

The animation team will be more than glad for your mention regarding their activities, shows and service. Reviews like yours serve to motivate our team.

We also appreciate all your recommendations for our future visitors; without a doubt this will help other users who are reading Trip Advisor to make the right choice to enjoy the Mexican Caribbean.
Once again we truly apologize for all the bad impressions caused. We will put our focus and efforts to be better and we sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to change your perspective and enjoy a wonderful holiday.

Red Oak, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had stayed at the Lindo once and the Maya twice on the grounds and had loved it so we decided to upgrade to the all adult inclusive The Grande. Big mistake for our 31st wedding anniv. We should have kept our extra $2,0000. The main pool had broken tiles in it and was constantly dirty with limes and straws floating in it. The color of the tiles was a poor choice because it looked like you were swimming in yellow water the entire time. The swim up bar had terrible bar service. You would have to wait a good 10 minutes for a drink. Every restaurant we would go to at night took us a good 1 1/2 hours to get through the entire meal.
One of our friends we went with were on their honeymoon and upgraded to an ocean view. Be careful what you wish for because they were woke up every morning at 7am with housekeeping moving furniture to clean the room above them. They even complained about this but it continued. The banister rails leading up to the second floor was loose. They cleaned out the septic tanks at 1 am and caused a lot of noise. I almost got hit in the head with a metal rod when they were working on the walkways because they didn't have a netting to prevent this. The ice maker was broken the entire time. The water in the showers would fluctuate with warm water to extremely hot water. The one day I depended on a wake up call to attend an excursion we were doing - they didn't call us.
We spoke with the general manager but all he wanted to do was to make excuses for everything that had happened.
We spent most of our entire stay going next door to the Maya. Even though there was kids there which didn't bother us at all, the service at the Maya was superb and the crew friendlier. I will never go back to the iberostar Grande hotel at the Riveria Maya and would definitely not recommend it. The price was outrageous and we should have had better service. The staff were friendly but the quality of service was not there at all. The hotel was only about 4 or 5 years old but there was too many things wrong with it. PLEASE do not go there!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
15 Thank Danette M
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review about your recent experience at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We are glad to know that there were certain aspects of your stay that you enjoyed, such as the friendliness of our staff. We are fully aware that they are the most important asset in our hotel.

On the other hand, we are sorry to know that we could not exceed your expectations. We can assure you that all the comments and suggestions from our guests are welcomed, as they help us pinpoint weaker areas and this allows us to improve our services and facilities.

As regards your comments on our pool, please let us inform you that during the days you were staying with us, one of our pool filters got damaged, so we ordered the piece but during this process the pool got dirtier than usual. The next day we replaced the damaged filter and had our pool attendants cleaning the walls and bottom of the pool. In addition, one of our water pumps broke and that is why you noticed those fluctuations. We have been working on it diligently, as we are changing the piping system so that the problem is solved definitely.

None of our comments are excuses for the experience you lived, but we wanted to explain why everything happened during those 2 or 3 bad days for us. We would not be one of the top hotels in the area if we were not be on top of things; maintenance is one of our main priorities and we are working every day to enhance the property and services.

Moreover, we are sorry to hear you had to wait for your beverages and food at our a la carte restaurants. We have already shared your comments with the Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager to take the necessary actions to avoid delays.

We do hope that you will visit us again sometime soon to see the changes we are constantly making. Thank you once again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have been traveling for 50 years and the Iberostar in Cancun is the best resort we have ever been to. The pool is bigger than a few football fields. Food is fantastic. Night shows are like Broadway. The staff is always there for you and most amazing, they all knew our names. From the minute we arrived and were greeted by Daniel, to all the staff at the pool, the gym, the night time shows, the servers, dining room captains.... thank you for making our holiday so wonderful. I felt like royalty there. Thank you especially to Roderigo in the Olympus Tour office who arranged all our excursions. We plan to return very soon.
A note to future guests... bring a roll of small bills and tip all these people. They work very hard to make you happy. Also, you should tip the tour guides and the drivers. Too often I saw that many people did not tip when on excursions.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are magnificent, BUT they are a little far from the main dining areas and restaura...
4 Thank Richard H
Dear guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. We feel honored to have had you as a guest and since our main goal is to offer a wonderful experience, we are happy to know that we reached it with you.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our big pool, fantastic food, night shows and the gym.

We would also like to thank you for your special mention about our staff. Reviews like yours serve to motivate us tremendously. We recognize that our staff is one of our main assets and each one of them play a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests..

Once more, thank you for your visit and for recommending us. We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#21 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!