“second time around and great”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 August 2014

It was our second time here , and it was great .The problem is you like it , and you want more. people are very helpful , all watching if you need something , they all know your name. Room service was great , we had breakfast every day in our room and in the balcony the buffet was awsome . at luch time they had a BBQ outisde with great meat , I loved it . In the afternoon we would go to the spa swimming pool, and have a natural veggie juice . The whole place is pretty to look at , it allways surprises you . Marble everywhere . Luxury everywhere you look . I'm a do it your self person , but I can get used to this , hahahaha

Room Tip: can't say anything here , we don't care about the view , and both have been quiet , wich is...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank fotomom
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your delightful review, you make us feel so proud after reading your comments. We really appreciate your loyalty to our hotel.

It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoy your stay every time you have visit IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. Thank you for praising our helpful staff, room service and property!

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future, to enjoy another wonderful vacation.

Sunny regards,
IBEROSTAR Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (6,149)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I visited the Grand from the 16th-30th July, this was our fourth visit to the hotel in six years. We travelled with Thomas Cook, not a wonderful experience, but we are extremely limited in the UK for tour operators who offer the Grand.
Let me start by saying, the hotel is still fantastic in a number of ways.
The food is wonderful, especially the new Mexican restaurant, everywhere is spotlessly clean and is currently been maintained in a number of areas. However it is the staff that make this hotel, throughout our stay every member of staff was helpful and courteous, unfortunately there is just to many to mention. Those that particularly stood out, and have year on year, are Mirna who served us around the tranquillity pool, Ali in the lobby bar, Victor, and Xiermia one of the Star friends who we meet for the first time this year. They all added a great deal to our holiday in terms of their helpfulness and conscientious way they dealt with any requests.
However there were two things in particular which disappointed us about this stay.
Firstly, there were a number of large groups in the hotel during our first week. Some were very loud, at times rude and displayed inappropriate behaviour which I would not except in a five star hotel. My husband and I are by no means against having a good time, but for me there is a time and place. When I visit a restaurant, I would like to be able to hear what my husband is saying, rather than someone on the other side of the room. I fully understand why Iberostar need to take large groups, but please try and manage their behaviour better than at present, it seemed that nobody wanted to challenge them on what they were doing.
Secondly, we have celebrated three wedding anniversaries at the Grand and hoped to again this year. The hotel confirmed the date on our arrival, and it was discussed when I booked our dinner reservations. However this was then forgotten by the hotel, our dinner went without any acknowledgment from the hotel, whilst we watched two other couples celebrating their special day. The hotel did apologise before we left, but it did take away from our experience.
Will we return to the Grand.... Yes! But not perhaps next year.

1  Thank KimberleyC30
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso team, we would like to thank you for your loyalty towards our brand and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

It was our pleasure to host you back and we are glad to know that you had another lovely experience. Thank you for highlighting our delicious food, our new Mexican restaurant and the new improvements that we have been making in and around the premises. Thank you also for your special mention of our staff, especially Myrna, Victor and Ximena, who will be very proud to hear that they were part of your enjoyable experience.

On the other hand we really want to offer a sincere apology about the misunderstanding with your anniversary dinner. We know that our guests are tired on their first night, everything was arranged for the next day. We are truly sorry for the lack of communication on our part, which left you with that feeling. We really do want to show our gratitude to our guests by ensuring their celebrations are truly special, so we have reviewed this with our team to avoid unnecessary disappointments in the future. We hope you did have a wonderful time after that.

In regard to the large groups mentioned, please be assured that we try to keep the best ambience and environment for all our guests. Sometimes it is a challenge to control certain situations, but we fully understand your point of view, and this has also been analyzed by the hotel's Management and Security Department.

Thank you once again for your feedback and your continuous loyalty despite the issues mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully soon!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This review is long overdue as my husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary at the Grand in May. It was our 4th visit to the Iberostar complex and our second stay at the Grand Paraiso. We wondered if this trip would be as wonderful as the first. It was even BETTER! We spent 10 glorious days in an oceanfront room in building 70. Our room was perfection-thank you Io'ana! The food and friendliness of the staff was as good as it gets. Special thanks to Luis for planning a perfect anniversary for us and to Omar for the delicious meal he prepared. It was truly one of the best meals we have ever had! Our butler Gonzalo checked on us constantly. He was always available and offering his assistance. We looked forward to seeing him each day! Victor rushed to our aid when we inadvertently locked ourselves out of our safe. What a wonderful asset he is to the Grand. All of our servers were wonderful, but I must mention our favorite waiter Asael. We were sure to request him each day. He is so attentive and personable and he remembered us from last year. We were also happy to see Olivia again! She is everywhere doing everything! Thank you also to Ahleli in the lobby bar and Ulysses at Toni's. Wonderful folks who always made us feel so at home. We cannot imagine any other resort being able to rival the Grand, so we won't even try another. The Grand will be our destination each time we travel to Mexico. Counting down the days until our next visit!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dianeluvsmx

Dear guest,

On behalf of the General Management and all the staff, we would like to thank you for choosing our resort for your vacation. We really appreciate your loyalty as well as the opportunity you gave us to celebrate with you such a special moment as your 10th anniversary. Congratulations again!

We are very grateful to know that you found our resort to be the best destination after visiting Mexico many times.

Moreover, we highly value your comments about our staff, especially Io´ana, Luis, Omar, Gonzalo, Victor, Asael, Olivia, Ahleli and Ulises. Our staff truly provides the high standard of service that features our resort and hotels worldwide and we are very proud to know that once more, they exceeded your expectations.

Additionally, it is good to read that you enjoyed your meals and that you liked our delicious gastronomy. We will share your comments with our Executive Chef because reviews like yours are the best source of motivation for all our team.

Once again, thank you for your lovely review. It would be a privilege for us to host you in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our first experience with Iberostar Grand...it won't be our last.
My wife and I have experienced good customer service before, but this was above and beyond our expectations. The staff, at every level throughout the property are happy to go out of their way to serve you. They make it a point to remember your name, and when thanked, the response is "our pleasure". The property is outstanding in every way. Grounds are manicured, saltwater/chlorine pool is fantastic, tremendous and must be seen to be believed. Alcohol is top-shelf all the way, and drinks as strong as you want them- double, triple shot- just ask. Tequila shots (top quality) are available everywhere. All the bartenders are pros- fast, knowledgeable and personable. The concierge (butler) can't do enough for you. They are available for anything, 24/7, as is room service. We had coffee (with danish) delivered to our room each morning and enjoyed it on ocean-front terrace (bldg 71, 3rd fl).
We were given the royal treatment (celebrating our 25th anniversary) for the entire week by every waiter in every restaurant, as well as butler and housekeeping.

Food-
You can order as many entrees as you wish and may have-to because size is on small side.
Japanese - very good
Gourmet - very good
Mexican - good
Buffet - (Italian night) - marginal
Toni's Surf/Turf - marginal
Breakfast Buffet - tremendous variety, all good
Lunch Buffet - marginal
Outdoor Afternoon Grill/Mexican - Excellent (grilled lobster tail was outstanding)

Pool -
Never a problem finding chairs/beds.
Pool bar service is quick and attentive.

The few cons:
-Coffee could be stronger
-Omelettes took longer than they should (champagne more than compensates, however)
-Beach somewhat rocky, but view is spectacular
-Four hot-tubs, but not much warmer than pool
-Was a chore getting our boarding passes printed (why no printer in computer room?)

Overall a fantastic hotel staffed by amazingly friendly, attentive and well-trained staff.
The room is spacious (best A/C i've ever seen), the grounds immaculate, the ocean-view spectacular.
Get up early enough to snap an ocean-sunrise picture- you will surely frame it.

Special recognition goes to:
Olivia - pool server
Alberto - bartender
Charlie - butler
Evelyn & Jorge - pool

I could continue praising but you have to experience it for yourself.
You'll be glad you did.

Room Tip: Ask for Bldg. 70/71 - 3rd Floor - oceanfront
8  Thank fv007
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity of welcoming you to celebrate such a special moment. We certainly know how important it is to make the right decision to choose the perfect place to create a wonderful memory for your 25th anniversary. For that reason we are really happy to know that we accomplished your expectations.

From the constant maintenance to our facilities, rooms and pools, to the Premium open-bar and the variety of food at specialty restaurants and buffets, it is truly a pleasure to work and contribute to making your vacation an invaluable and astonishing experience by offering the best of the best. Your appreciation for our team members is really satisfying and the perfect way to reward their efforts. We will share your recognition with Olivia, Alberto, Charlie, Evelyn & Jorge.

We would also like to thank you for your feedback concerning those details that need improving. When you visit us in the future, please tell us if you have any special request or desire and we will do our utmost to accomplish it.

Certain spots of our beach are a bit rocky as we are near the coral reef area, and the Environmental Law and our commitment with the preservation of the environment are two strong points for us to leave it as it is, to show its beauty and splendor and keep it like that for future generations.

In reference to the hot-tubs, we really appreciate your observations. We usually maintain them at 32°C. However, on this period of the year, we are having very hot days and our pool temperature is getting higher.

As regards to getting your boarding passes printed, we are sorry if we did not assist you as you deserve. Our Public Relations team can assist our guests with that, and also we now have at Front Desk a special printer to make this process easier.

Once again, thank you very much for your constructive review, we would be pleased to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at the Grand Paraiso in late Feb 2014 for 5 nights. First the location is great for a quick, easy 20-30 min trip from the airport to the hotel. Once we arrived we were greeted with drinks and friendly smiles. The rooms were very clean and the bed was comfortable. The patio furniture was very nice as well, it was the perfect spot to lounge and relax. We had a standard room with a view of the courtyard. The ocean view rooms looked wonderful and we would love to stay in an ocean front room next time. The buffets and all of the restaurants were amazing! We made reservations in advanced as others have suggested in their reviews. The room service was great too. I loved all of the pools and the beach was beautiful. The only small con is there is only a small section of the ocean you can actually walk in, due to rocks on the ocean floor. I would highly recommend Grand Paraiso and will be back with out a doubt!!!!

Room Tip: Everyone says the ocean view is worth the upgrade, we did not do this but will next time for sure!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jrcason

Dear guest,

First of all, please accept our gratitude for your kind review regarding your stay at our hotel IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

It is good to know that our facilities and services met your expectations. We are also glad to hear that you liked our restaurants as well as our buffet.

As you mentioned, a small part of the ocean is a bit rocky as we are located near the coral reef area. It is a federal beach and in order to preserve the environment, it must remain untouched. We hope that you did enjoy the magnificence of the landscape!

Thank you once again for your preference, we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another great vacation.

July 23- Aug 1, 2014
The moment we stepped onto the property we were in awe of the grandness and attention to detail. We were so excited to have our intimate wedding on the beautiful beach with our dear family and amazing friends by our side.

Upon arriving the wedding coordinator, Veridiana, greeted us with our wedding contract and details. At this time we also discussed the rehearsal dinner. Veri was very professional, kind and was as excited as we were.

We were in building 71, ocean front. The room was beautiful and spacious with all the amenities one could want-hair dryer, drying rack, swing, and couch on balcony, DVD player, fabulous room service, a butler, concierge, plenty of towels, robes, plenty of closet space, and a very comfy bed. There was a bit of a musty smell but that is to be expected at a beach resort.

Keep in mind this resort is in the salt air and humidity and open 365 days a year. This takes a toll on the building and the staff are constantly working on something to maintain the beauty and integrity of the resort. They try to be as unobtrusive, kind and courteous as possible. The grounds and maintenance staff are truly the unsung heroes!

Kudos to the staff for their kindness, attention to detail,& smiles . Rene & Charly, the butlers, were very delightful and made us feel as we were their only priorities. I forgot to grab my veil when I went to the shopping area to get my hair done on my wedding day. Rene came all the way to the salon, running, to deliver the veil. Charley was personable and reliable with his insight of things to do locally. Yuri, the pool concierge, is so kind and personable. She was ready to help in a moment's notice with a beautiful smile. Andy, the Star Friend, was adorable, kind and ready to enhance any activity. He made sure to find us so he could deliver my husband his medal for winning the rifle competition. I wasn't even through the first chapter of my vacation book and he was right there with a bookmark. The poolside drink service was stellar! Whether at the main pool or the tranquility pool we always had an icy cold drink.

The food, ah the food! Lobster for lunch & dinner, fabulous guacamole, filet that could be cut with a butter knife, perfect sweet tea, fluffy omelets, the sweetest pineapple, smoothies with unbelievable fresh juices. I think I gained 5 pounds in 10 days. I am such a glutton!

Wedding details: I was very happy with the Veridiana but not so happy with the photography of our ceremony. With our package we got a book with 60 photos and we were hard pressed to find 60 we liked. I now wish I made a list of photos I would have liked taken and remembered to hold my flowers a bit lower. I felt rushed and my wedding party was included in very few photos. We had our clothes, including my dress, pressed before the big day and everything came back perfect. Veri and her assistant, Ali, were patient and listened to all of our requests and made them happen. Our reception was at La Brisa and unfortunately we wished is was elsewhere. The air conditioner was not working properly. It was unbearably hot. We should have been offered another venue. The Captain continually had ice cold cloths bought out to us and our guests. It was a bit dark in the restaurant too.

Tips:
Pants are required for men for dinner in the restaurants except the buffets.
Rinse out your swim wear if you take a dip in the main pool. Because of the salt water, it will leave your suits stinky.
A can coozie for your beer cans is a great idea.
Book your dinner reservations for your first night before you arrive.

3  Thank fagan1220

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso to celebrate your wedding and also for sharing your experience at our resort. It was an honor for us to be part of such a special celebration and we truly appreciate the trust you placed in us.

Thank you for praising our hard working staff, especially Viridiana, Yuri, Andres, Charly and Rene. We are glad to know that your wedding fulfilled your expectations, as that is our commitment.

In reference to your comment on the restaurant la Brisa, please accept our apology for any inconvenience you experienced. As you know in the Riviera Maya we have high temperatures during most of the year and we aim to have pleasant conditions for our guests. Thus, thanks to our guests´ feedback, we have recently made some renovations to have a more comfortable temperature in the restaurant.

Last but not least, regarding the wedding photo album, we are sorry that the result did not live up to your expectations. We already shared your comments with the company's Manager, as it is important that the service to our mutual customers is delivered satisfactorily.

Once again, thank you for your great remarks. We are looking forward to hosting you again at our resort IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel is located on the grounds of Iberostar properties but you will noticed the difference when you drive up to the hotel. The entrance is grand.The hotel is very up to date and well maintained with lush gardens and greenery. The rooms very nice and the bed is very heavenly comfortable, they provide turn down service with a fully stocked mini bar. You will find excellent service throughout the property. There is a tranquility pool in area that is quiet where you can relax. They also have an indoor pool , where the spa and gym are located. We used the gym and equipment updated. They have a smoothie station. I found the indoor pool just lovely since you will not find this in many other hotels it was very "spa like" and zen. Small detail about Yoga.- Although yoga was offered, it was given by a hotel team member, I wish that it was given by a professional yoga instructor. The main pool was excellent with swim up bar. There were plenty of lounge chairs with covered lovely white fabric. You will not find your typical sun umbrellas but more private and luxurious amenity. The beach was great with plenty of huts, chairs and waiters often offering drinks.The food options were great, breakfast was offered a la carte or buffet style, there was fresh juice made on site.Lunch was offered in two restaurants, the food quality was good with plenty of options. Dinner was offered at several a la carte restaurants but reservations are required. We found the italian restaurant the best. I also celebrated my Birthday and the staff made it extra special. The also had a theme restaurant buffet style. The guests come from all over the world, guests and staff is very friendly which made the vacation a very memorable experience. The hotel was excellent and we would absolutely return Iberostar Grand.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mexichica

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your kind review. We appreciate that you allowed us the honor of serving you in our hotel IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso.

We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations and we are grateful for your taking the time to specify the highlights of your trip. We appreciate all our guests’ comments regarding our services and facilities, as our constant goal is to keep impressing you on every visit and achieve your entire satisfaction, that is why your evaluation is of special importance to us.

We pride ourselves on being conveniently located, offering a wide array of quality food and beverages, and having the privilege of being located by a wonderful beach. We are also glad that you found the hotel relaxing and the indoor pool clean, beautiful and quiet.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future as we look forward to welcoming you back..

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
#2 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!