“Outstanding vacation place”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 March 2009

We stayed here for 5 nights in Feb 2009.
Rooms - We initially booked regular ocean view rooms but when we checked in they upgraded us to the Honeymoon Villas. These rooms are spectacular; King canopied bed, 2 person hammock in the bedroom, sitting room, completely private 20' x 30' patio - compete with large jacuzi, shower, and patio furniture plus a beautiful very large bathroom (30' x 10') complete with jacuzi indoor tub. Beds - soft and wonderful - order the pillow you like from the pillow menu.

Outdoor Property - very large, awesome, beautifully landscaped

Indoor Property - awesome art work on the walls and ceilings, also please visit every public restroom you see - as each is different and truly unique.

Food - breakfast and lunch buffet were wonderful, dinner - again wonderful (but on your first night make your reservations for your entire trip.

Pools - Alot of wind at the main pool, we enjoyed the tranquility pool the best.

Golf - very good

Spa - excellent - we did the couples massage ($220USD)

Staff - again wonderful and friendly, tips are included in the price you pay but please tip these people anyway they really deserve it.

Beach - alittle rocky near the water, but beautiful sand, you could not swim in the ocean the waves were too rough when we were there.

Dress - nice resort cloths for the evenings - no need to get too dressed up

Cleanliness - never once was this an issue

Security - this is a complety fenced in, large gated community (but you do not notice the fences or the security)
Surrounding area - did not leave the resort

Minor Issues - 1) a few mosquitos at twilight - but they give you insect repellant wipes in your room and 2) the painted sidewalks are slippery when they are wet.

14  Thank OliviaMaryland
Write a ReviewReviews (6,090)

Reviewed 16 March 2009

What a great hotel to spend our well deserved holidays! As of the moment we entered the hotel we knew it was a great choice. I am glad we chose this one over the other Iberostar hotels next door, looking at the crowds there on the beach and in the restaurants. Beautiful landscaping at this hotel and we loved the a-la-carte restaurants, especially the Surf-and-Turf and the Italian one. I was not that fond of the French restaurant and one criticism on the buffet: there were a lot of strange vegetable or local dishes at the breakfast and lunch buffet that did not appeal and were not our taste. Also at the buffet, they make grilled prawns that you should step away from; they smelled (which is bad for fish). All in all an excellent hotel, with great drinks and cocktails (they make the best pina coladas and cosmopolitans at the cafe). Don't forget to play a round of golf!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TheDutchGuy
Reviewed 12 March 2009

I've stayed at tons of Iberostars before so basically i nkow what to expect. Ive stayedd at the ones next door and I loved it!!!
Thsi was my first adults only hotel and I LOVED IT!
if you like quiet and relaxing then this is the place!

The food here was great!
I met tons of peopleand i heard of no one being sick at all!
The staff is friendly and very helpful!
They are fast and always ready to serve!

THE PROPERTY!! i am speechless for this! IT WAS BEAUTIFUL! it was clean and staff was always cleaning!

the rooms were great! they were big and very clean!!
I normally wear shoes in the shower but these were just so clean!!

You should stay here!!
IT WAS JUST SO AMAZING!
My husband and I had a great time and now ive already booked for me and my 2 friends to go there for 5 days.

I CANT WAIT TO GO BACK!

7  Thank mexicobabe15
Reviewed 11 March 2009

We want to thank everyone who has posted a review because we based our choice of resort on all your recommendations! And we were very glad we did. We had a fabulous time and enjoyed every minute.
Here are some key points from our stay:
- arrival: we had a drink in hand in less than 3 minutes!, then were wisked away via golf-cart to building 71 where we had a corner room (7141). Oscar, our butler, came to get us settled in with sparkling wine in hand. Thanks to all your notes, we immediately ordered two shrimp cocktails from room service because we were starving, not having lunch and it being 4pm. Just after the check-in/tour from Oscar, our food arrived with drinks which we enjoyed on our lovely balcony.
- room service: amazing! our favs were shrimp cocktails and seafood salads ordered around 4 or 5pm, enjoyed with our favorite Orvieto Sav Blanc from Italy that Oscar/Rodolfo made sure we had in an ice bucket by 2pm or so each day. Also we had coffee, juice (mango and pineapple), and espresso deliverd each morning around 6:30am to enjoy with the sunrise on our patio.
- shows: because we foolishly got up so early(!), we never made it to one of the 10pm shows! Next time we must adjust our schedules. I was dissapointed to miss the Mayan History show.
- star friends: they were so cute and nice and next time I will have to drag my husband out to do some dance lessons. I did take a yoga class from Fania and enjoyed it - not very advanced, but sweet and fun
- best spot for lounging: 1) anywhere in the shade around the main pool, which was hard to come by after lunch ('chair-claiming games'); 2) anywhere in the shade around the Tranquility Pool.... so lovely and quiet.... 3) in front of our building - 71- on the beach: very quiet with the sound of the waves.
- worst spot: boy was it windy! 15-30 mph, I would say... did not enjoy having to sit in the sun and wind.
- best food: oh my, so much to mention: the fresh fruit and juice at breakfast, giant shrimps and salmon off the grill at lunch, lamb chops and kobe beef and veg salads and queso fresco and guacomole also at lunch; lobster and filet at Toni's, the lamb at the gourmet and rissotto at the Italian.
- best servers: Minera at Tranquility Pool; Yaphet, Edwin, Augustin, Pablo at the buffets (I know I am forgetting someone - they were also so great).
- best wine: I enjoyed the Orvieto white from Italy and a French Chard. My husband liked the Mexican Cab Sav...... And there were several South American reds he liked too.
- worst wine: the Mexican Sparkling.... but I did have several mimosas anyway!
- favorite by-the-pool drinks, margaritas and mojitos
- the room was so clean the lovely at all times. We keep the patio door open at night to enjoy the sound of the waves
- spa treatments: we did not do the 'couples-only' treatments on-site, but went over to El Spa at the shopping center (via cart). We both had two treatments and they were some of the best we've ever had and quite reasonable - the only money we spent in Mexico, since everything else was included!
And we felt safe the whole time and never sensed any security problems at all. We did feel a little 'used' because our transfer service recommended we get to the airport three hous before our flight back home which was way too early (we were sitting at the gate 2.5 hours before our flight left!). I think they try to get people to the airport with plenty of time to spare to spend some money - they really do have some nice shops!
- OK, those of you who don't have a food allergy can stop reading now...... So I have Celiac Disease, which means that if I eat something with wheat or barely or rye, I get quite ill (in the bathroom for hours, etc...). That means no bread, cake, cookies, croutons, etc... and even more complicated is the contamination issue. I really could not have an omlettle at breakfast because they cook breaded items on the same grill. I did make a request the first morning and they cleaned the grill off especailly for me and made my omlette, which was really nice of them, the other days I had yogurt and fruit. The nice lady in charge (I am sorry that I forgot her name) walked me through the lunch buffett the first day and most things were Ok... lots of seafood and veggies, then after that I just used common sense. Not really a lot of wheat use in Mexican cooking, but since they were catering to Americans and Europeans there was a lot of pasta, pizza, bread, etc.. for me to watch out for. Every single ala carte/sit down restaurant really went out of their way to accomadate me. I emailed my one-page request in a week ahead of time and when I arrived they made up there own dietary/allergy alert for me to give to each place I went. Everything was great and I was so thankful I want to send a special Thank You out to Oscar (our butler) and Pablo (our server) at the Mexicon buffet for dinner. Even though it was a buffet, Pablo served me himself and gave us a lesson in 'tacos al pastor' - so yummy.

I hope that we will be back next year!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
16  Thank PamDon
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I don't know where to begin, but this resort is truly a five star. Our group of 14 have all stayed at 5 star all-inclusives throughout Mexico and the Carribean but this place was truly exceptional! The resort facilities were stunning, the beach was fantastic (no coral rocks on the beach and very, very little coral rocks in the ocean water), we all felt like VIP for the entire week because the service was exemplary, the food and drink were exceptional! Wow...I could go on and on but other reviews below have summed this place up in a nutshell. Please do not hesitate to book this place if you are looking for a PERFECT vacation!

Now aside from the vacation most of us in the group are divers. We utilized the services of the resort's dive company: Dressel Dive Shop. They offered excellent, top notch service and knowledge. Our best dives were in Cozumel...we saw three dolphins!! Truly, truly a rare experince! Our dive master said that he has logged nearly 7000 dives and has only seen dolphins 6 times! The coral formations at Cozumel was phenomenal. We also saw tonnes of colorful fish, a turtle, a green eel, several barracuda and grouper...just fantastic! If you're a diver, Dressel Diver is the best!

Our butler wished us to write a report on tripadvisor about the resort with all the positives and constructive criticism. My only suggestion would be to have more live entertainment throughout the Iberostar complex (Del Mar, Beach, Lindo, Maya, etc.) and the Grand are very quiet at night. We found that the on resort nightlife was the best at the Bahia Principe Coba near Akumal and a close second would be Couples Negril in Jamaica...but if anyone is looking for nightlife...Playa Del Carmen and Cancun is a short taxi ride away for some fun!

But truly, truly phenomenal vacation! Mayo at the lobby bar was our favorite bartender, Gabriel at La Brisa restaurant was our favorite waiter and of course all of the bell boy staff! The butler service was exceptional as well...WOW!

Again, I could go on and on but this place was truly perfect! This is my third time to the Mayan Riviera and so far is my favorite place in the whole world...we will be back to the Mayan Riviera and DEFINITELY back to the Grand!

P.S. Yes there are reports of violence in Cancun recently, this area is 10000% safe and in no way did we feel that we were not safe...the people of Mexico are truly great and it is my opinion that the media is making more noise than necessary. GO!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank LisaLuvsVacations
Reviewed 7 March 2009

My wife and I just spent a week at the Grand. We celebrated our 25th anniversary there. It was a great week. The reviews I read here were very helpful.

Some comments:

Facilities: Top notch. I've been around the world and stayed at some very great hotels. I would put this one in my top ten (especially for the price). The Regent HK is still my number 1. I think it was my travel agent that said it is like taking the Bellagio and placing it in Mexico (without the fountains). I’d have to agree. One thing that everyone notices is that there is a constant level of maintenance going on while you are at the hotel. It shows!

I like to be surprised by a resort and even with the reading of reviews here, I found some surprises. Just check out some of the different rest rooms. I especially like the one with the faucets that curve into the wall. I won't tell you which one it is so that you can explore. Also, check out the small pathway to the right after the reception area (past the room with all of the travel groups). I also like the small candles in the clay pots placed around the hotel to heat the scented oil/water mix. It makes the hotel smell great. I've never been big on turn down service. Don't need it. But let them into your room. In addition to the little mint, they light one of these candles in your room. It's a nice way to come back into your room after dinner.

The beach was great. We never had a problem getting a place to relax. We spent most of the time on the far end of the beach, near the Maya. There are no rocks at this end of the beach. The main Pool was fun. There was always a lively bunch of folks at the pool bar. We loved the indoor pool with the different aqua massage stations. Check them out! I really enjoyed them. My wife had a pedicure and manicure at the spa. She said the prices were reasonable and they did a good job.

We also had some fun at the commercial center. My wife did some shopping. The prices were reasonable. There is an ATM at the commercial center. There is no ATM at the hotel.

We went to the disco twice. It’s very early 80’s with a Star Wars theme. The place did not early get going until about midnight. The crowd was very mixed. It included some oldies (like myself) that still remember when disco was cool, and some twenty-somethings.

Food: Ok it's an AI. It's not always consistent. Sometimes it's very good, sometimes it's not very good. We had a very good dinner at Toni's the night after some friends were disappointed with a very rare cold steak. My onion soup at the gourmet restaurant was the worst I ever tasted. It was way overcooked. They try to do it differently by bringing the plate dry and pouring some brown mush that at one time was onion soup into a bowl. Didn't work. The rest of the meal was fine.

The Italian was our best meal. I had the risotto and lobster. We thought that this restaurant had the best ambiance. We had a table on the patio and could listen to the water from the large waterfall.

The room service food was also great. We had some fish (can't recall the name) one night and it was great. Breakfast was also great. Buffets were good. Nice selection. Who can complain about having grilled lobster as an option for lunch every day. As mentioned in other reviews, the food under the heat lamps gets cold quick. It's best to get the food prepared for you (but you have to wait).

Service: Same as the food. Sometimes outstanding, sometimes slow. We found the buffet service to be slow, especially for the drink orders. The restaurant service was better. The room service was good. Our butler was OK. We didn’t hear much from him after the introduction meeting.

The pool and beach drink service were nice to have. Those folks work hard so be sure to tip! Sometimes it took awhile for our orders from the beach. I believe that they have to walk all the way from the pool bar to fill orders. You could also order food from them. We didn’t but we saw others do this,

The bartenders were outstanding. We usually went to the lobby bar prior to dinner. Mayo and Daniel kept the place hopping. We met most of our new friends at this bar.
Overall it was an outstanding week. We had a great time and met some new fiends. We travel a lot so we’ve learned to not let small things impact our fun. We just sat back and ordered another miami vice (ask Mayo to make you one)!!

Adios!

18  Thank OilmanTexas
Reviewed 5 March 2009

I don't want to repeat the truth again and again, but one more thing you should remember if you want to take this wonderful resort and enjoy their four beautiful resturants. The first thing you have to do is booking your resturant's seat as soon as possible because they are so popular.

you are welcome to visit my albums. Don't forget using fullscreen mode. Enjoy it.

10  Thank smellyjoe
6 mi away
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#2 of 215 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!