“unbelievable........ even better than hoped for!!!!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
uk
“unbelievable........ even better than hoped for!!!!”
Reviewed 25 March 2009

stayed 14th feb 2009 to 28th feb 2009 for 25th wedding anniversary

What ca i say ! came here with high expectations after reading reviews on T.A but in reality its even better. let me explain..... Upgraded flight on First Choice Airways well worth doing as much more relaxing than 'cattle class ' ( our usual form of transport ).
On arrival at hotel after private taxi transfer taken straight to lobby bar with a warm towel for a cool drink by Antonio Banderas (? ) the bell -boy who then drove us to our ocean front room (7050 )where we met the butler Rodolpho who then checked us in (simplicity itself ), next morning we met the other butler Alex who between them made the stay so memorable especially our anniversary with champagne on ice and a bath run with petals on it.

Ok to get the niggles out of the way... Infinity pool is saltwater unlike tranquility pool which is freshwater - thats it. Now the good bits.....

Food........ tried surf and turf 4 times , gourmet twice , italian twice and room service and always very good . Buffets good for breakfast and lunch but could be better for dinner.

Entertainment........ Star Friends are so friendly and hard working , if you don't want to join inthats fine but they do at least try ask . Abig thank you to Chris , Ruben , Christian, Fania, Pamela , Noemi and Eder who between them contributed to a great stay . Evening shows in the theatre are top drawer with a great live band, live singers (no miming ) and great dancer who socialise with you berfore and after the shows.

Buildings......... INCREDIBLE that covers it all

Srevice........... Probably the one thing that really stands out. Yamilet and Christy in the Lobby Bar, the waitresses and barmen in the pool bar and all A la Carte waiters did a great job.. A big thank you to Samanya in reception who went beyond the call of duty to help out with a camera problem ( i went swimming with it the day before our anniversary and its not waterproof )

ps a big HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO to Karen and Jerry from Missouri who were also celebrating thier 25th wedding on the same day as us and were honoured to share the evening.

All in all an unforgettable holiday. Thank oyu Paraiso Grand

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
12 Thank nicholas_8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,454)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Philly, PA
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I was back at the Grand for what was supposed to be 1 week, but turned into 11 days because I refused to leave this incredible resort. At this point, I can't imagine that people need anymore convincing about why you should stay at the Iberostar Grand if traveling to the Riviera Maya.

Just in case..... I have been fortunate enough to stay all over the Carribbean as well as Mexico. Many of these trips included some very expensive resorts in Mexico (eg, Amuleto, Esperanza, Palmilla) and depsite having paid a fraction of the price to stay at the Grand; the food, service, views from the room, and overall experience are the best I have ever experienced. While at the Grand, I had the opportunity to meet with the General Manager who is obsessed with constantly improving everything that they do, and it shows.

Butler service: Many high-end resorts will assign a personal concierge or butler that usually help you with check-in an check-out but that's about it. Not the case at the Grand where the butlers are available from 7am - 11pm working to satisfy any request and insure that everything exceeds your expectations. The butlers are extremely well trained and know how to balance providing great service without being overbearing. (Alex and Victor made my trip).
Food: The food is some of the best that I've had in all of Mexico with incredible quality, variety and quantity whether you eat at the a la carte restaraunts or the incredible buffets.
Rooms: I highly recommend the ocean front suites which are well worth the extra money. The rooms are closer to the water than most of the other hotels in the area which makes for a beautiful and relaxing view.
Overall service: From what I can tell, the Grand has set up multiple layers of redundancy to make certain that nothing falls through the cracks when it comes to service. At no point in my 11 days (or previous 3 trips) did I ask for something that wasn't promptly taken care of.

Dollar for Dollar (or Euro for Euro) the Grand is the best buy in all of the Caribbean and I plan on returning for my 5th trip before the fall.

Thank you to the wonderful staff at the Grand.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
6 Thank chris_philly
Bouctouche, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2009

No need to repeat all the good things that you read in the previous review. All positive...and all true.

Check in - 5*

Room - 5*

Food - 5*

Service - 5*

Entertainment - 5*

Stars friends - 5* Really, really nice...Christian, Pamela, Noemi, Eder, René...

Bartender - 5* - Mayo and Daniel at the bar beside the lobby

Golf - 5*

Don't forget to visit every washroom in the resort; you have to see them to know what I mean. Wow

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank sagouine1
DeKalb, IL
Reviewed 21 March 2009

Where to start? This is the most beautiful & relaxing resort we have ever stayed at. I will try not to repeat what others have said.

First off let me say when we arrived we were upgraded to the Honeymoon Villa and it was amazing, absolute luxery. This was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, so much so I looked everywhere on it just to find who made it, but no luck. I might just email them and ask who their beds are by-this alone made the Grand, just that GRAND!

Butler service - this was hit or miss, our butler was Abel and I have to say we only saw him twice the entire week we were there, but another butler (and I am sorry I can't remember his name) did take care of us and did a fabulous job. Towards the end of our stay the hotel was around 70% occupancy and this is when we noticed the difference in the level of service. However anytime something wasn' exactly on time they made every attempt to remidy the situation and appologize repeatedly. They give 110%.

Room service - Hot and right on time, everytime.

Maid service - only had to ask for wash clothes twice other wise they did a fabulous job and we were sure to tip them (along with all the other staff - they are incredibly eager to please you and work very hard at it). Loved the chocolates on the bed every night and the champaigne and the rose pedal bubble bath with rose pedals leading to the bed.. They really do make you feel like royalty.

Star Friends - especially you Ader, were the absolute best, you don't get paid enough for all you do to entertain the guests and the best part is you really make people feel at home there and a part of a great big family. I can't say enough about how hard these friends work, you made us laugh everyday. You are a major part of what makes the Grand so special.

Pool Bar - Daniel's mojito's were the absolute best and he did such a great job - he's a real cuttie, at least Mary thinks so!

Food - never got sick from anything, everything was excellant. As with any A-I you will get a little bored wth the food by the end of the week, but we wouldn't have complained if only we could have stayed longer than a week. Olivia your doing a great job! The only hiccup in our food service was on our last day we went to breakfast and no one ever waited on our table or brought coffee until we flagged them down. Did this bother us? No, we understood the hotel was filling up and getting very busy for them and we're not going to fuss over these petty things when everything else was fabulous.

The beach - Awesome. Make sure to get the couples message by the EL SPA STAFF, this is not the same as the Grand spa, as you will spend much less money this way. El Spa will do a 50 minute complete boddy message under a beach hut for only $99 pp.

Para sailing is $120 for two and is a blast, go right down the beach to the Iberostars dive shack, they will put you on a jet ski and take you out to the boat and up and away you'll go.

Make sure to see the night shows, they are really nice -this is not Broadway so don't be expecting anything of that calliber, but you will enjoy it. Boogie nights will keep you laughing as they spoof the classic disco songs of the 70's, we laughed our butts off. The Cuban singers are very good, our hats off to you!!!! Nice shows!

Don't miss cake by the pools at 5 PM, what a treat.

A shuttle buss will take you to Playa Del Car at the front lobby for only $4 dollars each way, be sure to go to town and barter for what you want, it is wonderful to stroll 5th avenue. Please be advised as I did not listen to the previous reviewers who said it's cheaper at the resort gift shop - they weren't lieing. I thought I did farely well bartering but when we got back and went to the resort mall, they were still cheaper, of course you'll miss the fun of bartering with them.

Do not overpack as I did, you really don't need much more than a couple of swim suits a cover up and night clothes which are dressy-casual. The atmosphere is laid back elegance.

The Bathrooms - check them out, every single one is beautiful and unique, we had fun wandering all the resorts in the complex at night seeing which one was nicer. We tipically don't check out bathrooms but here is someplace where it becomes fun. My favorite was next to the main buffet dinning.

Bugs - didn't find any!

Pools - Chilly, yes a bit but somedays that was refreshing as it gets really hot there.

WE CANNOT WEIGHT TO GO BACK, worth every penny we spent, you definately get more than you pay for here!

Please contact me if you have questions!

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
19 Thank MojitoMamma
Johnston, Iowa
Reviewed 20 March 2009

We just got back from 5 nights at the Grand. My wife and I had a great time and we are planning to return next year. Here is a brief rundown of our trip.

We arrived in 2:00 in the afternoon on March 14. We were greeted with cold towels and drinks. We checked in and were upgraded to an ocean view room. That made us very happy. We went to our room and our butler soon knocked on the door. This was our only unpleasant experience. He must have been new at his job because he gave us very brief tour of our room and the facilities. He didn't ask us about what kind of pillows we wanted. When he asked us what kind of liquor we wanted, I requested a bottle of Grey Goose and Havana Club. I was told that I could only get airline sized mini bottles. I said I wanted full size bottles. He told me that he would check on this but he didn't think he could get them for me. I then checked out the mini-fridge. Everything was warm. I went down to the concierge to make dinner reservations and she was very helpful. I mentioned the fridge and she said she would send someone up. The butler came back, looked at the fridge, and told me that they were all like this and he could bring up some ice buckets for the beer and bottled water. I said that I couldn't believe that every fridge in The Grand didn't work. I also told him that I stayed at the Iberostar in Cozumel last year and the fridge worked fine. He didn't seem to care and the ice buckets were brought and soon the condensation on the buckets began to drip on the marble floor. Later another butler came to the door. I asked him to look at the fridge. He agreed with me that it didn't work and had someone bring another in minutes. My liquor did eventually show up, but I never received a bottle of wine I requested. The bottom line here is that the butler service is a crap shoot. I understand some were very good and attentive, others didn't seem to care.

That was the only bad experience we had. The food was great. The golf course was fantastic. We met some great people from Canada and Texas. The rest of the staff was always helpful and friendly. You can read hundreds of reviews that talk about the great people and amenities that can be found at The Grand. They are all accurate. The reason I wrote so extensively on my bad experience is that you have to be persistent to get what you want even a five-star resort like The Grand.

I would recommend The Grand without hesitation. We can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
14 Thank HawkeyeDave
Montreal
Reviewed 19 March 2009

After not taking a serious vacation for several years, I wanted to choose a hotel where I would not have to worry about any inconveniences, enjoy great food and be able to relax. The Iberostar Grand Hotel exceeded my expectations. The resort is beautiful, the staff was very helpful, the services offered are top notch, the food and drink were fantastic, and attention to detail is evident throughout the resort. Even if the hotel is filled with guests, the size and openness of the hotel makes you feel like one of the privileged few. I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be making another visit in the near future.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
6 Thank SnoopDogg58
Maryland
Reviewed 16 March 2009

We stayed here for 5 nights in Feb 2009.
Rooms - We initially booked regular ocean view rooms but when we checked in they upgraded us to the Honeymoon Villas. These rooms are spectacular; King canopied bed, 2 person hammock in the bedroom, sitting room, completely private 20' x 30' patio - compete with large jacuzi, shower, and patio furniture plus a beautiful very large bathroom (30' x 10') complete with jacuzi indoor tub. Beds - soft and wonderful - order the pillow you like from the pillow menu.

Outdoor Property - very large, awesome, beautifully landscaped

Indoor Property - awesome art work on the walls and ceilings, also please visit every public restroom you see - as each is different and truly unique.

Food - breakfast and lunch buffet were wonderful, dinner - again wonderful (but on your first night make your reservations for your entire trip.

Pools - Alot of wind at the main pool, we enjoyed the tranquility pool the best.

Golf - very good

Spa - excellent - we did the couples massage ($220USD)

Staff - again wonderful and friendly, tips are included in the price you pay but please tip these people anyway they really deserve it.

Beach - alittle rocky near the water, but beautiful sand, you could not swim in the ocean the waves were too rough when we were there.

Dress - nice resort cloths for the evenings - no need to get too dressed up

Cleanliness - never once was this an issue

Security - this is a complety fenced in, large gated community (but you do not notice the fences or the security)
Surrounding area - did not leave the resort

Minor Issues - 1) a few mosquitos at twilight - but they give you insect repellant wipes in your room and 2) the painted sidewalks are slippery when they are wet.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#21 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!