“AMAZING” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
brunswick, ohio
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

I just returned from another amazing seven day vacation at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso in Riviera Maya, Mexico. This was my fourth visit in the past two years, and every time I return it exceeds my expectations from the previous stay. It's amazing how this resort just keeps getting better and better.

I can't begin to tell you of the wonderful experiences you will encounter during your vacation at the Grand. From your initial steps into the Grand you feel that your in for one very special vacation.

The Grand is immaculate from the rooms, grounds and beach. All of which are extremely well manicured and clean. Your have five dining choices. The food is amazing and is prepared as well as a four star restaurant.

I had an oceanfront suite, with a breath taking view of the ocean. The rooms are very large in size and all have a jacuzzi tub and large walk in shower in the bathroom. Want something extra special get a room with a jacuzzi tub on the balcony it is incredible.

The service from the entire staff is beyond belief. You never need to leave your beach chair for a beverage or meal. If there is anything you need your Concierge or Butler will make sure your needs are met. My favorite Butler is Victor. Victor can't do enough for you to make sure your happy. I asked him if he would fill my jacuzzi on the balcony every day around 6:00 pm. so it was ready when I came off the beach. To my delight not only was it filled but he had a towel, bath mat, bath rob and slippers laid out next to the jacuzzi. OH, I forgot to mention he also had my gin and tonic with lime ready for me.

Words don't begin to tell you what an impeccable resort the Grand is. You must visit it first hand to really understand how outstanding it is. I have stayed at a few other resorts, but after my fourteenth stay within the last seven years, between the Iberostar Lindo, Iberostar Maya and the Iberostar Grand no other resorts compare to Iberostar Resorts.

Again I had the privilege of meeting both Mr. Mateo Caldentey the General Manager of the Grand and Ms. Angelica Solis, the Executive Assistant Manager. They always go beyond there responsibilities and duties to make you feel like a personal friend.

Mr. Mateo Caldenty and Ms. Angelica Solis both take the time and talk with there guests no matter how busy they are. It really makes you feel special that these two extremely busy people take the time to visit with you. Tells you a lot about all the great people working at the Grand.

I think the greatest compliment a resort can receive is how many repeat customers that return time after time. Each time that I've vacationed at the Grand, I've run into at least two or more couples that I have met there before. I've been very fortunate to meet some really great people from all over the world. Most of which we e-mail back and forth regularly.
Your experience at the Grand will leave you wanting to return immediately. That's why I'm ready to booked my vacation back at the Grand for November.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Bob Theus

4 Thank tbone1616

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,355)
  • Polish first
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2009

Just got back Saturday, May 16th 2009.
First of all, the Swine flu is a "non-issue"! Great for us, bad for them.
The hospitality was so incredible we felt guilty. The hotel was so incredibly gracious to all of us, who did not cancel our reservations, that we felt like they opened the hotel up just for us.

My wife and I traveled with another couple and we were treated with an incredible staff, with great food, an awesome room on a fantastic beach. Although we did not have a beachside room, we didn't need one. The entire facility was surrounded by lush and beautiful landscaping and the walk to the beach was within 3 minutes. The spa facility was top rate, the tranquility pool was just that, and the pool, with sunken bar, was the party place for the day.

I can't say enough about our "Star Friends", Eder, Noemi, Luis, Chris, Nicole, Sajid, and Diego. By the end of our trip we treated one another like family! Our butler was Victor, he is the kindest man I have ever met and bent over backwards to make our stay as perfect as possible. Our pool bartenders were Norberto and Lionel and I want those guys to "tend bar" at all of our children's weddings, they put a smile on my face just thinking of them.

The nightly entertainment was pleasantly surprising! We attended every show and enjoyed them all. We really enjoyed the "magic show", the "rock show", and "boogie nights". The "Star Friends" entertained us during the day with all kinds of activities, salsa dancing, volleyball, target shooting, wine tasting, and all sorts of pool games. They introduced us to so many people that our dinner reservations got larger and larger every night.

We ate at all of the restaurants on the premises and they were all good. Gourmet, Hibachi, Surf and Turf, and Italian. The portions are smaller than "gluttonus American" portions so I ordered two entrees.

If you've every had a desire to scuba dive, this is the place. I got my scuba certification at the "Dressler Dive Shop" at the "Iberostar Lindo" right down the beach. Ben, Charles, Dave, and Sarah did a great job training me and we dove at an incredible reef just a mile or so off shore. Top notch outfit!

If I can give one suggestion to anyone who travels to any "all inclusive" in Mexico, "Tip the staff"! No one ever expected it, but were very gracious to receive it. The Mexican's in that area have seen devastating unemployment due to the flu scare and, in my opinion, it was "overblown" to say the least! We took $100.00 in one dollar bills for a 5 night stay but cashed a $100.00 travelers check to give more tips because they deserved every bit of it!

These people went above and beyond what "I" would call the "call of duty"! The majority of the staff truly "love" what they do and try to do anything in their power to make you feel at home. We can't wait to go back, and as a matter of fact, most of the "Star Friends" are now "FaceBook" friends of ours.

3 Thank texky
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2009

First, I want to start out by saying that my husband and I planned this trip to Mexico about 3 months ago through FunJet. About 2 weeks before our trip, the swine flu hit the media and we decided to change our trip to the Iberostar Grand in Jamaica. Then, the day before leaving for Jamaica we decided to switch back to the original Mexico Iberostar Grand since the swine flu wasn't as serious as it was fist announced (luckily, we purchased the travelers insurance through FunJet and was able to do all this without losing any money.) Actually, we saved money. By switching back to Mexico with the rates so low now, we had some extra spending money.
Anyway, we were so happy with our decision. The Grand was fantastic, even for those who our spoiled and are use to 5 star resorts. The staff and service was the best I ever experienced. It could have been because they were at a 30% occupancy, but I doubt it. Everyone was very accommodating. Our ocean front room was beautiful and defiantly worth the extra money. Every suite has a butler, which we utilized for pressing our clothes before dinner and stocking our favorite drinks in the mini bar, including a full size of Grey Goose.
The crowd at the swim-up bar was fun and everyone tried something new. I strongly recommend a "dirty monkey." The activities at pool were also a lot of fun and the activity directors were always trying to engage you to play. Noemi got my husband and I to play water volleyball and had a blast!
The beach is beautiful and there is also wait staff there to bring you your favorite beverage. We never had trouble finding any beach or pool chair/lounges.
The general reaction about the food is that it is good, many thought it was great. My husband and I are a little on the picky side when it comes to steak and seafood. But we thought the food was good. After a day being at the resort, you tend to know what to order. May people say their favorite restaurant was Toni's, the Surf & Turf. I would have to say my favorite was the Italian, then the Japanese and then the surf n' turf. I was very surprise to see that there was an included wine list. Normally, at all-inclusive you have the option of either a white or a red and they are never very good. I actually had some decent wine that I enjoyed and didn't feel the need to purchase any additional wines on this trip.
Lastly, beside the staff being great, we meet some really great people from the mid-west, Mike and Carrie from Milwaukee and Brian and Deena from Michigan. They are what made our trip really memorable!

9 Thank SadieGirl9
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2009

We recently had the pleasure of staying at this resort. We have stayed at Iberostar resorts in the past, but this one is unique in that it is decorated in an ornate Italian style. The people were wonderful, the resort spectacular, nothing is more than a brief stroll away. We could not think of anything else a person could ask for.

No signs of any illness in this area.

It was our second honeymoon and the most relaxing vacation we have ever had.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Yucatan-Admirer
ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

Grand hotel was amazing. Beautiful property, good location, we really enjoyed our time here. The staff was very friendly.
We were in the building farthest from the ocean, but we could still see it from our balcony. In December the buildings had lights hanging from the roofs, It was very pretty swaying in the breeze at night.
We tried several of the specialty restaurants. The Japanese restaurant was pretty good. I didn't realize that they had a hibachi table when we were seated, so we were at a regular table. The steakhouse was very good. I had a filet that was so tender and delicious. I was busy talking to my nephew and didn't realize I had been cutting it with the bread/butter knife. NICE! We also went to the other resort with the cajun restaurant. It was ok. Decorated nicely. Maybe I was too sunburned to have enjoyed much that night. It is very nice that you get shuttled between the other iberostars. We went to a couple shows after dinner and enjoyed them. We usually played a couple games of pool afterwards.
We also tried the crepes at the common shopping center for the resort. They were delicious also. I tried coconut tequila at the liqour store there too. Tasty.
We ate at the buffet the first night, it was good. They will make you your own pizza as you wish. There was quite a selection to chose from. I do wish things had little signs, I could not always identify by site what the dish was.
I did not try all the pools. I spent one full day at the main pool on a chair in the water. Nice! Bar right beside me, drinking pina coladas all day. ahhhh
One afternoon we walked down the beach through all the iberostars and then tried the lazy river. It was ok. I was glad to go back to my adult only resort though.
When we were there it was Red flagged at the beach, so i do not know how the ocean was.
My only problem with the resort was the bathroom door was broken when we arrived. The bracket on the door jamb was bent out so the doors wouldn't come together to close. I was traveling with my nephew so I needed the bathroom doors to work. Our butlers introduced themselves the evening we arrived and I showed them the door jamb. They said it would be fixed right away. The next morning I called because it still wasn't fixed. We went out and about all afternoon, that evening still not fixed. I called again and was more demanding. Someone arrived shortly and fixed it. On our last day I had locked the bathroom doors while in the shower. They wouldn't unlock and I was stuck inside. I jiggled and wiggled the lock to no avail. I started pushing on the doors to get them open. That is how the bracket had gotten bent in the first place. I am claustrophobic, that was not fun.
Overall it was a great place to stay and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2008
4 Thank where2nextOhio
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

My husband and I (we travel a lot and like good hotels)stayed at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso from 16-30 April and we really had a wonderful time.
A lot has been said about this hotel already and I have to agree that it is a very nice, opulent and well maintained property.
Although we had a wonderful time there is still room for improvement as far as the service is concerned. So maybe I start mentioning a few things that we were not so happy about:
Our butlers did a good job being invisible most of the time. It was really hard to get hold of them. For example I wanted a pillow from the menu as I was not too happy with the standard pillow they provide. So I asked the concierge could the butler please come to our room after our return from the beach at 6pm. 6pm came, 6.20pm..no butler. So called again, yes they would send someone over, no one came…called again….butler finally came at 7.15pm, she was very, very sorry, brought the pillow and was never seen again. I think they should either do the butler thing properly or just not offer it at all.
After check-in we had to wait for about an hour for our luggage to be delivered to the room. We were not too happy about that because we arrived in the evening just wanted to change and go to dinner, but spent an hour waiting, doing phone calls… Finally I walked back to reception where our suitcases were standing and threatened to carry them to the room myself because the guy told me again they would bring them in a minute and I had heard that a couple of times before…
Service was overall very good, but some glitches, sometimes funny, sometimes a little irritating. E.g. when we had dinner at the Japanese restaurant I ordered wine and noticed that there were some lipstick stains from a former user on the glass that was placed in front of me. So when the waiter came along with the bottle of wine I asked her could she please give me a new glass since this one is dirty (I did that in Spanish which is normally good enough for everybody to be understood). She had a very close look at the glass and then obviously came to the decision that it was not really that dirty so placed it in front of me again and started pouring wine….so I told her again that I wanted a clean glass. At this point the maitre d’ had noticed that something was wrong , came by and replaced the glass immediately.
We were not too impressed by the cocktails that included fruit juices. All fruit components come out of a machine/tube and looked and tasted really artificial. I was a little disappointed by that as I remember when we stayed at the Lindo three years ago and ordered for example a strawberry margarita they made it with real strawberry puree which I loved, but this time at the Grand they just used some pink liquid. Which is a shame as they really have top shelf liquors which they then mix with these cheap juices.
The all-inclusive winelist is very good, but not all wines from the list are available. I wanted a Sauvignon Blanc, they had 4 different ones on the list but none of them was available in any of the restaurant throughout our two week’s stay. I had a Pinot Grigio instead which was good.
And one final thing we did not like were a number of fellow travelers. First we thought there must have been some lottery winners around, but we quickly learned that they were mostly traveling in large groups as a company event/incentive. As a result of these incentives there were a of people at the Grand that normally would not stay in such a nice hotel. We also met some nice people who were there with a group but if you have three groups of around 60 people each at the same time and out of these 30-40% are completely out of place and behave conspicuously it really kills the serene atmosphere. It really displeased my eyes to see loads of mostly obese Americans with hairy tattooed backs, inadequate clothes, etc. that start boozing at 10am and make a lot of noise. I was surprised when one late afternoon I heard a lot of noise and people yelling in the hall of our building. As it did not stop I had a look at what was going on and saw about 10 of my beloved fellow travelers boozing and having a lot of noisy fun in the hall, moving around the sofas so they could sit in front of one of the room. They really made a lot of noise and I was surprised that this went on for at least two hours without anybody from the hotel intervening. But maybe they found these big, drunk guys too scary…
In my opinion these groups really are a problem as they bring a clientele to the place that would normally go to and fit into some cheap and nasty 2 stars place.
So that is it from the complaints department. As I said overall we had a wonderful time and I would definitely go back to this resort.
So let me also point out some of the many positive aspects.
The room are nice and big, you do not hear much noise from your neighbors.
The whole place is much more generous than the other resorts. Especially at the pool and on the beach the chairs are nicer and there is much more space. Even when the hotel was full (pre-swine flu weekend) there were always plenty of sunloungers available although some people still felt they had to play the towel game.
Everything is very clean. One thing I noticed in particular and liked a lot was the cleanliness of the public bathroom. There was always someone around cleaning the restrooms, so even the ones by the pool were always clean (which is important especially with the above mentioned fellow travelers around…).
Food is very good. We tried all the a la cartes and the buffet.
Our least favorite place was the gourmet, but still not bad.
Italian was good but not really Italian. Most things we ordered were different from what you would expect, but most of them were still good.
E.g. the truffle pasta was not really truffled. I don’t know what it was and how they did it but I loved it. Just the meat main coursed were not good, e.g. Saltimbocca was really strange, but with all the fish and pasta choices you won’t leave the place hungry.
We really enjoyed the Japanese as well as the Surf and Turf. The double cut filet mignon was really good as well as the seafood starters.
The buffet was also great. A lot of things to choose from – a different theme every night- all well cooked and just delicious. I loved the huge choice of vegetable dishes/sides they had. Meat was also very good and I loved the prawns and lobster. They normally had small portions of everything on the buffet so things were very regularly refilled. Yes, sometimes things were not hot but that is not a problem for us as long as all is really fresh.
We had planned to have dinner at the Lindo as well as we had been there three years ago and thought the food was good there but after having eaten at the Grand a couple of times we decided not to eat at the Lindo as the food at the Grand was much better.
We ate and drank everything and never experienced any kind of stomach problems, etc., just enjoyed the food and gained some weight….
A great plus of Mexico and this resort are the wonderful people. They are all very friendly and helpful and provide (mostly) excellent service.
Especially the ladies who serve drinks by the pool and on the beach were very attentive and always fun to talk to. Also the Star Friends like Noemi, Eder, Pamela, Diego, etc. do a great job. They offer so many great activities. And I have to mention the Tennis Pro Esteban with whom we really had a great time every morning. We had fun and I really improved my play…. And finally praise to all the people that maintain the place and keep it clean and shiny. They do real hard and dirty work but always greet you with a smile and really appreciate a tip.
We visited some of the evening shows and enjoyed them. Very professional for a hotel.
Summing up we really had a wonderful time at the Grand and I could just jump on a plane and go back. I was a bit concerned before going if it was really worth the extra money as we stayed at the Lindo three years ago and also liked it there at that time and it was half the price. But now after having been at the Grand I totally feel it was worth every cent and I would never go back to the Lindo but to the Grand.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Sabine123
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

what an amaxing place. we went from some R & R and we certainly got it!!! The only sad part was the hotel was only at 20% occupancy.... which in my opinion was okay by me. . . WE HAD THE FULL RUN OF THE PLACE. IMMACULATE HOTEL, EXCELLENT SERVICE, CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!

AND TO MY FRIENDS IN OKLAHOMA - IF YOUR READING THIS....WHAT UP!!!!!!!

Cody & Amanda From Dallas

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,599 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,583 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!