“GREAT Experience at the Grand”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 June 2009

We just returned from a long weekend at the Grand. After many hours of reviewing hotels, we settled on the Grand primarily based on traveler reviews on Trip Advisor. Overall, as echoed by most of the reviews on this site, we had a great experience. For those of you who aren't familiar with the complex, Iberostar has 5 resort hotels at the location. The Grand is the upscale, adults only hotel and has full access to the other facilities. However, guests from the other properties do not have access to the Grand. In mid-June, occupancy appeared to be only about 20%. At times it felt like we had our own private 5-star resort!

Facilities
We booked an oceanfront room and got a third floor room in building 71 - awesome view. The hotel itself is incredible, barely 1 year old we were told. Unbelievable attention to detail everywhere you turn from the impeccably manicured grounds to the buildings that sparkled inside and out. We liked the Mediterranean architectural theme and how they blended it with the local culture. Staff were everywhere cleaning and maintaining the facilities. The room itself was good size, with a separate inside seating area and an outdoor balcony. Size would be somewhere between a traditional hotel suite and typical large hotel room. Bathroom was marvelous. Pools were very nice with plenty of lounge chair seating and shaded cabana beds everywhere. We had the tranquility pool to ourselves on both occasions that we swam there.

Beach
We very much enjoyed the beach. The straw umbrella huts were perfect. Compared to many resorts on the Yucatan where hurricanes have severely eroded their beaches, the beach at the Grand is quite large - from hotel to water at least 100 feet wide. At the airport we spoke to a couple whose hotel in Cancun did not allow them to use their beach during high tide in the morning because of this situation so if the beach is important, you need to check this out. It is true - directly in front of the Grand swimming is precarious at best because of the large, submerged rocks, but clear water with no rocks is a very short walk in both directions. The service was also marvelous – Carlos made sure our bucket of iced-down Coronas was always stocked.

This was our first experience at an all-inclusive resort. Our expectation was something slightly above "cruise ship" food, but we were pleasantly surprised how much better than that it was at all the restaurants. Toni’s was our favorite. The breakfast was also very good for a buffet with a great selection.

We had a little different take on the service at the hotel than what I have read in many reviews. The staff could not have been more accommodating on every request we made, but we did not really get any unsolicited attention from butlers or concierge. We actually preferred this. Wait staff at all the restaurants were terrific. The concierge for our building was on duty from 7 AM to 11 PM and there was literally no question or request that they did not fulfill. We tipped everybody and they genuinely seemed to appreciate that – I don’t think they get paid much even at a top-end resort like this.

Other
We read lots of reviews that mentioned the Star Friends – for us, they were somewhat out of place at a top-end resort like this. We sensed most couples were there to spend time together and, to the extent they wanted to, mingle with other guests at the pool. The Star Friends, as nice and friendly as all of them were, just really did not seem to fit here in our opinion so we shied away from those activities. We did attend one show (Broadway review) and it was entertaining.

All in all we highly recommend this hotel for couples who are looking for a great getaway to spend time together. Not a party atmosphere – I would look at another resort for that.

14  Thank eurotripper22

Reviewed 25 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Grand from June 10th until June 16th. This was our third time to Riviera Maya, We stayed at the Royal Hideaway previously. The Grand was only at 30% occupancy during the beginning of our stay and towards the end of the week it had increased to about 35%.
Pros-
Check In- This process was smooth and we were offered a cool towel and had the choice of champagne or a fruity cocktail. The bellman took care of our bags and our butler showed us all of the features of the room. He also asked if we had any requests for the mini bar and made sure throughout the entire trip that it was stocked with what we wanted.
Room- The room was beautiful. It was very spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable and the linens were high thread count. We used the ipod docking station a lot to listen to music as we got ready for dinner. The two person jetted tub was great. We loved the balcony that contained a swing and a large couch. The balcony also contained a ceiling fan that created a nice breeze and a retractable drying rack for swimsuits. The room had two large closets with a great deal of space to hang things. We were also provided snacks such as peanuts and potato chips. I also enjoyed the scented candle that was lit each night during turn down service. The scent was very pleasant and not overpowering. I really liked the pillow menu. I have special pillow needs and they were able to accommodate them.
Restaurants- I would recommend e-mailing the resort and making a dinner reservation for your first night. Although the restaurants were not very full I was glad that we had taken care of that.
The options for breakfast were room service or the breakfast buffet. There was one breakfast buffet that was closed. The buffet was adequate. A number of fresh fruit juices and a variety of different types of food were available. We got room service for breakfast one morning and it was also good.
There was one buffet open for lunch and there was also a food menu available at the swim up bar at the pool. The buffet was okay. A selection of pizzas and pastas were available as well as cheeses and lunch meats. I really enjoyed the fresh guacamole and pico de gallo. Fresh fruits and veggies were available. One day they had cherry tomatoes stuffed with baba ganoush which were really tasty. You also had the option of ordering from a menu which included things such as lobster and a Kobe burger. My husband had the burger and said it was okay.
There were four a la carte restaurants open for dinner. The dinner buffet was closed.
All four of the restaurants were good. Some of my favorites were the double cut filet at Toni's, the onion soup at the Gourmet restaurant and the caprese salad at the Italian restaurant. My husband enjoyed the Osso Bucco and the Saltimbocca at the Italian restaurant and the terriyaki skewer at the Japanese restaurant. The proximity of the Japanese restaurant, the breakfast buffet and Toni's to our room was wonderful. They were all very close.
Pools- The pool bar was the place to be. Good drinks, food service available. The tranquility bar was so peaceful and beautiful. Great drink service at both of the outdoor pools. We never had any trouble finding a chair or a cabana. The indoor pool was relaxing. One day we were the only people there.
Shows- We went to the Magic Show and Big Band Show. They were just okay. We did attend Casino night on Friday and Monday and had a great time playing Blackjack.
Misc.- The service was impeccable. There were times when we didn't see anyone else walking through the resort. We were given a flower arrangement for our anniversary. The cocktails that we had throughout the resort were great. I recommend the Dirty Monkey and the Caesar. We used the gym 3 times during our stay. The gym contained ellipticals, stairmasters and treadmills. It also contained nautilus-like equipment. It was also very nice because there was a juice bar right outside of the gym, very refreshing. We used the business center to check our e-mail which was convenient. We also got ice cream at the ice cream parlor in the shopping center which was a great included feature. We enjoyed the Galaxy Club and had fun people watching and dancing there one night.
El Spa- My husband and I each got massages at the spa in the shopping center. The massages were the best but we felt that the spa lacked ambiance.
Cons-
The shower in the room is small.
The toilet is enclosed in clear glass so it isn't very private. You can see right through.
We spoke to a couple who got upgraded from the Maya to the Grand and they received an Oceanview Room for only $30 a night extra. My husband and I booked an Oceanview room through Iberostar 3 months ago and thought perhaps we would be upgraded to an Ocean Front room since the resort was only at 30% occupancy. They didn't even offer it at check in. I was kind of annoyed. One of the oceanfront buildings was closed.
I would have liked to have sat down during check-in. At the Royal Hideaway they have cushy chairs and couches that you get to sit down in during the check-in process and I kind of missed that.
I would have enjoyed some local fare at some of the buffets such as chile quiles.
You had to request top shelf liquor at the bars and restaurants they didn't just use it to make drinks.
We were also told that we couldn't have a bottle of Grey Goose for our mini-bar. However I've seen pictures on this website that have shown people with bottles of Grey Goose in their rooms.
I expected more at turn down service. We never got the rose petals on the bed like other people had.
The blue and gold uniforms reminded me of a marching band.
All of the pros far out weigh the cons. I would go back in heartbeat. The Grand is a truly wonderful resort.

8  Thank BayAreaHappytraveler
Reviewed 24 June 2009

The only thing wrong about my stay at The Grand was "having to leave".

I can't wait for next year to go back.

Just and advice at the airport: custom and immigration officers are thieves.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank AntonioSales
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Easy into and out of the country...no one going to Mexico. Real Shame..US Media should be ashamed.

Arranged Private transfer to hotel....

Greeted with choice of drink and a cool towel at checkin.

Great Food at The Italian,The Surf and Turf and Japaneese.

Have to figure out what resort people stayed at that complain about this hotel.

The staff is EXTREMELY friendly and no one EVER expects a tip...but are grateful when one is given.

Also have to laugh that people think they are entitled to upgrades and choice floors because the hotel was at low occupancy..

Shows at night were good...with some better then others...IE Check out the NEW ROCK SHOW...great music and light show....by far their BEST SHOW

Drinks at the pool easy to get either at the bar or thru the ladies walking the area.
In the Lobby See Daniel...

The beach was red flag every day..and the Lindo and Maya didn't have many guests on the beach.

All in all....in you are thinking of going...GO...RELAX...EVERYTHING is FINE THERE.(as noted in their biting video before the Rock Show.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
8  Thank nyc_apt_sitter
Reviewed 19 June 2009

This was not our first trip to an Iberostar in the Riviera Maya area. It was out first to the Grand. From the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out we literally cannot think of one single complaint.
The hotel has a european feel in the architecture. The furnishings are elegant yet modest at the same time. Fresh orchids and Lillys were on display throughout the hotel during the week we were there.
Our room was a Jr. Suite. Marble floors, decor was welcoming and elegant. Our balcony was huge. It had a two person swing, a large sofa with mosquito netting if you needed it. (we had not one bite anywhere all week). The balcony overlooked the tranquility pool (very quiet) and a look to the left was the ocean. Gorgeous. A coffee table, end table and ceiling fan were also on the balcony. The linens were exceptional and we sleep on nothing lesss than 600 thread count at home. His and her sinks made dressing in the evening quite comfortable. The tub for two was enjoyed numerous times. Our butler s were Oscar and..Oscar. We chose to unpack ourselves but the option is yours. My husband needed an extesion cord for his CPAP machine and it was there in less than 10 minutes. We asked the mini bar be stocked only with Diet Coke and water..we never had to mewntion it again.
Each time we left the room it seemed as if housekeeping ran in to tidy up and make sure all towels were fresh. They were never intrusive. If fact we had to search for our maid to tip her for the wonderful service.
We were celebrating our anniversary and listed that when we booked. I mentioned casually to Oscar Wednesday morning on the way to breakfast that 'today is my husbands' birthday" WOW. Both nights we returned to our room and had champagne chilled waiting for us from the staff. Towel swans , roses, tubs of bubbles and a flower arrangement.. It was beyond beautiful.
Covered shade at the pool was wonderful. The activity pool bar was a favorite hangout. Demetrios and Norberto ROCK! Top shelf at ALL bars, impressive knowledge of drink mixing.
The buffets were about average as buffets go. Do not miss the Kobe Burger though it is incredible. Especially poolside after a long day, while sitting in the water. The Turf and Surf "Toni's" was THE BEST!!! We ate there 3 of 6 nights. Also, I wanted to mention the concierge. I have food allergies. Upon learning this she typed up a letter in spanish for us to present each night to the waiter (and the in turn to the chef) each night. We had never thought of it before. I speak a fair amount of spanish but language barriers is not the place to practise explaining something that is life threatening.. Thew japaneses was also very nice. I can't comment on the others..we didn't eat in them.
The shows in the evening were a very nice, enjoyable distraction. We always seem to meet incredible people from England in Mexico and this trip was no exception. Steve and Karen thank you for a wonderful week.
The best part for me personally would be in two parts. Part one.. the adults only. No kids, no partents not watching their kids so..MY mom button was off all week and OMG what a way to relax. Part 2..the beds..I haven't slept that well and that pain free in 15 yrs. I want to return ASAP!! Not enough room to go into it all. Staff knew what I wanted b4 I did.

12  Thank Grneyedlady62
Reviewed 18 June 2009

My Fiance and I recently visited the Grand for a site inspection in consideration for our destination wedding next year. From the moment we arrived we were blown away with the level of service we received, and elegance of the resort itself.

We can not say enough great things about the staff, especially our butler Raul who went out of his way to make our stay a memorable one. The rooms are beautiful, the views are breathtaking and the atmosphere is welcoming and relaxing.

There are many great activities throughout the day at the pool. Just be sure not to drink too much at the pool bar because you may miss the nightly entertainment... I learned this after a few too many Coronas and tequila shots one day. The beach is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen and a perfect place to waste the day away. Of course the waiters are happy to bring you a bucket full of your favorite adult beverages so your feet never even have to leave the sand.

Needless to say, we will be holding our wedding at the Grand next year and can not wait for our guests to join us on our special day. We can't think of a more perfect place to hold our wedding, especially knowing our guests will be treated like royalty. What more could you ask for in a resort? Nothing. 5 Stars in our book.

8  Thank HillbillyRockstar
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I can't give this hotel a 5 star rating because it didn't meet the high expectations I had after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. It should still be said though that the Grand Paraiso is a beautiful resort, the grounds are immaculate, and the buildings palatial. I received a good deal on an ocean front suite through a travel company, and I felt that the service I received suffered because of the lower price paid. I was hassled at check-in for not having proper documentation. They would not offer a room on the second or third floors even though I'm pretty sure one was available (hotel occupancy was at 40%). The ocean views were still very nice on the ground level. I'm sure the resort was trying to cut costs due to low occupancy and when we asked for a bottle of Tanqueray and Grey Goose for the room they said the best they could do was 4 shots of each. So they brought 8 tumblers with an ounce of alcohol in each which i thought was ridiculous. A couple butlers would be sent for a 1 person job. And when I tipped one of them, the other would linger awkwardly. Beyond this though, we had a great time at the resort. The food was very good considering it's an all-inclusive. There are a ton of activities to do and the Star Friends are a lot of fun. I'd highly recommend going to the shows in the evening, they definitely exceeded expecations. Overall, I think this resort offers incredible value for you money although like I said earlier, the service I received didn't meet my high expectations.

7  Thank canuck225
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#20 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!