“Great Time at the Grand!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Alberta, Canada
“Great Time at the Grand!”
Reviewed 29 November 2010

First I would like to say that I read all the reviews on tripadvior, the Iberostar Board, Actran's blog, Monarc reviews etc before going to the Grand. Thanks to all the reviews I was well prepared for my vacation. I learned from others that I could book the a la carte dinners and golf tee times via email before we got to the resort and that's what I did. I also knew that on Wednesday and Sunday nights there were dinner buffets available.

I was there from Nov 14-21 with my husband and another couple. We are in our 40's and we were there to celebrate both of our 20th wedding anniversary. This is our first trip to the Grand and our first experience with the Iberostar chain. We filled our vacation with golf, food/drinks and activities. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Grand.

The grounds- quiet and elegant. All 5 of the Iberostar resorts are beautiful in their own way. I ran through the compound several times during my stay. I noted that my teenagers would really enjoy the facilities at the other Iberostars.

The room - beautiful and clean. The internet worked well and we were able to keep in touch with our kids back home. Our mini fridge was restocked everyday with lots of water as per our request. One day a vase of beautiful fresh flowers showed up in our room. That was a nice touch.

Butler service- we saw our butler when we arrived at the resort. I did not see him again for the rest of our stay. However I did not miss him as I did not need anything from him. I knew that he was a "button" away (there is a call button on the phone for the butler) should I need him.

Food- great all around. We were impressed with the quality and variety of food. We had a minor issue with our steak not done to our request but it was quickly rectified. I love seafood and had my fill of lobster, fish and shrimps. At one of the night time buffets I had some delicious grilled scallops. We ate at all of the a la carte restaurants and enjoyed them all.

Staff- was great overall. Some staff were more friendly than others but all were courteous, efficient and professional. Daniel the bartender at the Lobby bar was chatty and fun. Room service was always on time. I had a server (sorry but can't remember his name)at breakfast that was extra attentive and friendly. What a nice way to start the day.

Star Friends- We participated in many different activities such as yoga, water aerobics, spin class, volleyball, water vollyball, and bike tour. The Star Friends were great in leading the activities. I particularly enjoyed the spin class with Eder and Fania. I also enjoyed my yoga session with Luigi. Luigi did not let me slack off!

Golf- my husband loves to golf. He was very happy that my two round of golf were transferable to him. He golfed 4 times and raved about the course. There was not an extra charge for golf carts unlike many other resorts. This is a minor detail but hubby said that the toasted sandwich that he had on the course was very tasty. My husband golfed at 7AM and was back at the Grand by 11AM.

Drinks- I was very happy with the variety of wine available at dinner. I have never had so many options before at other AI. I did not like mojitos before this trip...now I am a huge fan. My husband tried a different red wine at each a la carte restaurant. He also enjoyed a few Grey Goose and soda.

Beach- we were out on the beach on most days. My husband said the waves in the ocean were alot of fun. We played beach volleyball, football and tossed a frisbee a few times. The sand is fine and lovely. I walked to Maroma beach once. Maroma beach is nice but I'm not sure why it is rated as one of the best in the world.

Shows- I enjoyed what I saw of the shows. On most nights I was too tired to stay up for the whole show.

I would recommend this resort to friends and family. We had a great vacation and would love to come back in the future....hopefully soon.

9 Thank Soarfarandwide

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,429)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We just returned from a third trip to the Grand and a fourth visit to an Iberostar resort. This is the only resort we have ever returned to and our second visit was even better than the first. Unfortunately I can not say the same about our third trip because of issues we had with the food and drinks.
First the positives..The room is exceptionally comfortable with good beds. We did not use much out of our mini bar but it was filled promptly. We received welcome back gifts on the first day and we were upgraded to an oceanview room at no additional cost. We did ask about upgrading to oceanfront but the $100 a night price was too steep for us.
The service was once again exceptional. I do believe that there have been cutbacks to staff but the ones who remain work so hard. We had great service at the bars and restaurants every day. Many staff remembered us from previous visits and welcomed us back warmly.
The Star Friends are wonderful and a real asset to the resort. We did not participate in a lot of activities but when we did the were a lot of fun because of the staff. After the international buffet on Wednesday we had a number of them sitting with us and talking to us about there lives and dreams. Such a nice bunch of young people.
The golf course is really good. We enjoyed our three rounds so much and the cost of the round not included was very reasonable for such a good course. We were able to reschedule a rained out game easily. They seemed a bit short staffed early in the morning but tried really hard. We were able to play each day in just over three hours and still have lots of time at the beach.
I think the beach is actually getting better over time. There seem to be less rocks in front each year. It was very wavy so we did not go in very far but we walked the beach for miles every day and really enjoyed it.
We did not go to a single show this year and only went over to the disco one night. For the first time the disco was filled with very young people and we did not recognize any of the music so we left. Not a big deal to us. They looked like they were having a great time.
We met a lot of really nice people. As always there is a real range of ages but everyone is exceptionally friendly. We were really happy to recognize a number of people from last year.
The not so good...The food was a major disappointment this year. Breakfast was still good. We ate a lot of fruit and the eggs are good. My husband really enjoyed the french toast.
In previous years we have really enjoyed lunch at the ocean front restaurant. I would say it was our favourite meal of the day. We would drink wine while watching the waves and order off the menu. We did this for the first couple of days too but one day when we tried to go for lunch we realized it was closed and it never reopened on our visit. Lunch was offered at the main buffet overlooking the pool. Some food was cooked outside and a small buffet was offered inside. I was looking forward to the fish of the day or the shrimp faijitas but instead got tacos and pizza.
We made all of our dinner reservations ahead by email. Two of those were cancelled and replaced by buffets. We were not worried as buffets in the past have been quite good but the variety available in the past was not there this time. We had one really good dinner a the steak house and on the other occassion my steak was raw. We were disappointed because we know what a good job they can do but this was not our experience this time. We ate little at dinner because the food was just not that great. We did fill out a survey to tell them about this problem and spoke to one of the chefs (Olivia) who was not very receptive about the issue.
The bartenders are great and do their best with what is provided but this year we found the drinks to be very watered down. We drink vodka martinis before dinner and the vodka was definitely a bit on the light side. You will not notice if you only drink mixed drinks.
The butler service should be discontinued or improved. For the second year in a row we never saw our butler at all. Others told us about the things that were done for them. The Grand needs to get more consistant about this feature. We were able to get whatever we needed from the concierge or room service but were never offered a bottle in the room or a pillow menu etc.
We had a wonderful, relaxing vacation but I don't think we will be returning because of the obvious cutbacks. I think things a slipping a bit and I hope the Grand can get it together because I have recommended this resort to a number of people in the past.

1 Thank Ontario_Sun_lovers
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Had an awesome time... adults only, great service, loved my swing on the balcony, while
sipping my wine. Food was great (thanks to Chef Olivia). Felt like a queen (thanks to Butler Annawar). Loved the room, always cleaned perfectly and my bed was so comfy. My
husband was in awe when we arrived. He can't stop talking about this place, (I can't either). Everyone that works there is so friendly and helpful. Star Friends are great. I love
the golf cart service. Why walk, when you can ride! Very funny waiters, they were all great!
Love ya, Charly!!!.... and all the rest of you guys. Ladies...keep up the good job. You are all
awesome. Hi Dianna!

Michele T. (pilgrim lady)

2 Thank micheletd2
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 November 2010

This is as good as it gets. Stunning hotel. Adults only. Great service - beautiful rooms - salt water main pool overlooking the beach - serenity pool (shhh) - heated indoor pool - hot tubs everywhere including your room - terrific shows at night - 24 hour room service - butler service - concierge service on each floor - and the food. I love lobster and 4 out of 7 days I had it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with other yummy foods. Every lunch I started out with 2 grilled 1/2 lobsters and a tenderloin steak wrapped in bacon. They have 6 restaurants plus the buffet. The people could not have been kinder. There are several Iberostar hotels in Mexico and this is their finest.
I have stayed at many warm weather resorts over the years but this tops them all.

3 Thank Billytd2
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 28 November 2010

We had a wonderful vacation and really loved the resort. Was it good value? I would say yes but a little bit hesitant because of it's steep price. But we will likely return next year.

The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. One small complaint is that the desk chair makes a loud noise when you move it. I heard the room above us several times. Other than that very minor thing...it was perfect.

The food is wonderful at every restaurant.....had lobster almost every day! We loved Toni's restaurant...best food and best service...Gotta love Luis! The Japanese restaurant had good food but terrible service. The teppanyaki chef cooked 2 tables at once, alternating between 2 stoves...hence we only got half a show and watched his back end half the night. Food was still good though...just a poor chef show and servers were only average. All buffets were really good but save them for daytime...eat at the a la cartes in the evening. (Special thanks to chef Jessica...saw her at the buffet restaurant often and she was so kind to share cooking tips!

The pools are perfect as is the bar staff at the pool.....that made our trip!!! Pool towels are soft and abundant as were chairs and cabanas...best we have ever experienced. (Sara and Mirna are so sweet and kept us hydrated!)

All hotel staff in general were very, very good.

Shows were good, but AI standards. Staff tried very hard in this area. One small complaint...the pool games staff only played water volleyball twice in a week even though it attracted many patrons including us. Not sure why they opeted for the other types of games that were less popular and were individual games???

We brought our laptop and used it in the room with a cat5 cable. Worked great! Many resorts do not offer this feature.

This is a beautiful resort on a beautiful spot onthe ocean. It seems like this is a chain that tries very hard at providing good service.

2 Thank Taryn-Rick
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 November 2010

I just completed my 10th visit to the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso. I was there from November 19th through November 26th.
The luxury, quality and selection of food, top shelf liquors, amenities, cleanliness, activities, nightly shows, pools, and the 110% effort given by the friendly staff at this resort, do indeed make it a Five Diamond Resort! If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, this is indeed the place to book your trip!
The manager, Mateo along with assistant managers Alberto and Wendy work day and night to make this 5 Diamond Resort the best all inclusive vacation spot in the world! Try it for yourself and see why there are so many repeat customers coming back year after year.
Trust me, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gary T
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 27 November 2010

We arrived back in Calgary last week to a minus 23 degree Celsius day and a foot of snow. My husband is busy trying to figure out what stocks to invest in so we can live out our retirement at the Grand.
We stayed at the Grand from Nov 7-14. We decided to splurge on the Grand in the off season as we were celebrating our 20th Anniversary, as were our friends that went with us. By about our third night in the resort we agreed that we needed to return together in 5 years to celebrate our 25th Anniversaries. A night later we amended this agreement and have decided to return next fall instead. I am not the type of person to stay in the same place twice as I am always looking for new adventures. But I don't think the Grand can be beat for a quick, warm, problem-free, relaxing week with good food, good drinks and lots of activities.
FOOD OBSERVATIONS:
-It is a good idea to book your a la carte reservations ahead of time (rpgrandparaiso@iberostar.com.mx). In November there are Buffet only nights on Sunday and Wednesday and then 4 a la cartes (Gourmet, Surf and Turf, Japanese and Italian). We booked two weeks ahead and we were given our requested time of 7pm for all 5 nights.
-We enjoyed all of the restaurants. We thought the Japanese was particularly good and we really liked the sushi, the steak and lobster tepenyaki, the fried rice and the banana tempura with vanilla ice cream.
- At the Surf and Turf restaurant the Seafood Selection appetizer was a large selection of chilled seafood that everyone enjoyed. The Lobster and Steak Tenderloin main course was very good and the winner for dessert that night was the Soft-centered Chocolate cake. (Between the four of us we would try to order a range of items.)
-The Lobster and Seafood salad appetizer at the Gourmet restaurant was a winner and we all enjoyed the fish dishes we ordered (Salmon and sea bass).
-At the Italian restaurant the Veggie Grill with cheese and shrimp appetizer and the Shrimp Risotto (we ordered to share) came out on top. The Tiramisu dessert was tasty but our friend raved about his Beet Ravioli with chocolate mousse dessert.
-This resort had a decent wine selection for an A.I. resort. There were at least ten red wine choices, 6-8 white wine, 2 rose and 4 or so sparkling white wines. The guys had a different red every night and they enjoyed them all. One night my husband ordered a bottle that had an additional cost of about $50 and they didn't think it was any better than the free wines.
-If you don't like your dinner you can always order room service after.
-If you don't enjoy your dessert you can always take the trolley or walk over to the Shopping Center complex and order some ice cream or dessert crepes at the A.I. Ice Cream shop. There are also a free hamburger bar and a free taco restaurant, both of which are open until 3 a.m.
-We loved the lunch buffet restaurant near the beach. It had a beautiful view of the ocean and a good selection of food for lunch. We liked to order from the menu and our favorites were the SHRIMP FAJITAS, the enormous grilled shrimp plate and the tenderloin steak with fries. Also they have these great CHOCOLATE COVERED ICE CREAM BARS (think mexican Hagendaz) that you have to order from the waiters.
SPA/ GYM:
-There is a Spa on site at the Grand but while we were there the sauna and steam rooms weren't operating. At the larger Spa located in the Shopping Center area there were numerous soaking pools heated to different temperatures and they also had a large sauna and steam room in operation. These are free to use.
-The Gym at the Grand had 2 or 3 treadmills, 2 cross-trainers, a step machine, assorted dumbells w/max weight of 60 lbs and an assortment of weight machines (eg. leg press).
-If you like to work out with barbells and heavier weights head over to the bigger gym that is on the road near the Paraiso Beach lobby.
STAR FRIEND ACTIVITIES:
-Kudos to the hard-working Star Friends. We spent time with Eder, Fania, Gabriel and Luigi. They were a big part of why we felt so welcome at this resort. The activities that they lead start at 10 a.m. and finish at 6 p.m. (they also often have small parts in the 10 p.m. entertainment shows).
-Our favorite activity was the Spin class everyday at 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. This class would work up a sweat even in the most fit person.
-There was a great yoga class at 10 a.m. near the tranquility pool and at 4:30 p.m. on the beach.
-There was an aqua-aerobics class in the main pool at 11:30 a.m. and it was a good workout for all fitness levels.
-They had an archery/air gun range that we participated in and we found it was a fun way to meet other people from the resort (11 a.m./3 p.m.)
-Of course they had Water Volleyball and Sand Volleyball.
-The Star Friends knew us all by name and encouraged us to participate in their activities but they were never pushy about it in the least.
-There were two ping pong tables and a foosball table near the Towel Booth and two pool tables near the Lobby Bar.
OCEAN ACTIVITIES:
-The resort has kayaks and catamarans that you can sign out for one hour a day for free. These are located on the beach between the Grand and the Iberostar Maya. They will give you a lesson on how to use the catamaran for US$40 if you need one.
-We signed out two, 2 man kayaks and paddled over to Maroma Beach and back within the hour. They did tell us we needed to stay in sight of the rental booth but no one came after us.
-We went parasailing (US$120 for 2 people) and rented Jet Skis (US$80/ 30min) at the Main Dressel Dive booth which is located down the beach in front of the Iberostar Del Mar.
-There was a boat that was scheduled to take snorkelers out to a nearby reef for 90min that left twice a day at 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. for $40 but it was cancelled three days in a row because of rough seas.
ENTERTAINMENT:
- Great Mariachi band in the Buffet restaurant for the Mexican night on Sunday.
-Star Band performed out by the main pool on Wednesday night starting about 8 p.m. and there were lots of tables set up around the pool with table service for drinks from the bar.
-I made it to three shows in the Theater that started at 10 p.m. The magic show was entertaining and the magician was very good. He conjured up numerous doves a couple of rabbits and a large goose. He also cut his assistant up many times for our enjoyment.
-Our favorite show was The Rock Show. The Star Band is very good and they have 4-5 lead singers. They covered all sorts of rock music (AC/DC, Stones, Beatles, U2, etc) in costume with back up dancers.
-We also saw a Best of Broadway Musical Show that was well done and The Big Band Show (Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Glenn Miller) which again was well worth staying
up for.
-I really enjoyed watching the dancers. They really put their hearts into this show and they work so hard.
- Great free entertainment, the waitresses come around for drink orders often, the theatre is air conditioned and the booze is free. How can you go wrong?
GOLF:
-The golf course was very nice and each room has two free rounds per person per week.
-Spouses can transfer their games between each other.
-We booked our 2 free rounds about a month in advance (you can book 60 days ahead) as we wanted to start at 7 a.m. and avoid the midday heat.
-Email golfparaiso@iberostar.com.mx
-The breakfast buffet doesn't open until 7 a.m. so if you have an early tee-time remember to fill out the room service breakfast order form and put it out on your door handle the night before. What ever time you ask for it to be delivered it will be on time or 10 minutes early from our experience.
-Bring golf balls from home because they are expensive to buy here.
-There are women's and men's clubs available for rent (Nike in good shape) for $500pesos
-The snack cart that comes around had bottled water, pop, beer some hard liquor and tasty toasted ham and cheese sandwiches. I think they had one other kind of sandwich and chips.
SERVICE:
-The service here really stood out from the other resorts we have been to. Everyone was very helpful and friendly.
-If you get a chance ask for Alex or Charly's section for breakfast and lunch.
-Visit Daniel the bartender in the Lobby Bar. He is a very nice guy and we had fun hanging out at his bar talking to him and meeting other people staying in the resort.
-My water glass was constantly filled in the buffet and a la carte restaurants. My wine glass was never empty for long and my lattes were delivered quickly at breakfast.
-In all the hotels I have visited, the bellboys and the room service people hang around looking for a tip. At the Grand I actually had to chase behind them into the hall to tip them.
-After our couples massage they gave us a bill and asked us to sign and write down our room number. No mention of possibly leaving a tip. I had to locate the small tip line myself and add it.
EXCURSIONS:
-We rented a car in the Iberostar Del Mar Lobby from Thrifty Rentals for US$100 with extra insurance included. We picked it up at 8:30 a.m. when they opened (we arranged this the day before). We drove to Akumal and rented snorkel gear from a dive shop on the beach in Akumal Bay. We decided to hire a guide to take us out to snorkel with the turtles. They charged US$20 each and we saw some manta rays, a couple of turtles and a bunch of fish in a small coral reef. The guys stayed out snorkeling longer and we swam back to the beach. You don't have to hire a guide you can swim out to the snorkel area from the beach easily. We just thought it might be quicker to have someone who knew the area well with us. From there we got back in the car and continued down the road to Half Moon Bay where we had lunch in a nice beach restaurant called the Buena Vida (they take Visa here). Next we went to Yal-ku Lagoon. I think it was about $8 each to get in and we used the snorkel gear we had rented for the turtles as we had to pass the shop again to get back to the main highway. One end of the lagoon is fed with fresh water and the far end of the lagoon opens up into the ocean. I stayed in the fresh water end and I saw amazing
fish. If you like to snorkel this is a great place and it is good for beginners as they can get out any time and there aren't any waves. The guys chose to snorkel all the way out into the ocean where they saw a 3 foot Barracuda that was sizing them up. If I had been with them I would've learned to walk on water at that moment. There are showers and bathrooms to use here. On our way back to the Grand we took a small detour into Playacar near Playa del Carmen and checked out the Iberostar Quetzal and Tucan. We could've eaten there if we liked because if you are staying at the Grand you have full privileges at all the other Iberostars in the area including Cozumel.
END OF A VERY LONG REVIEW:
If you haven't been here before and you are considering this resort I highly recommend you give it a try. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't be very happy relaxing here. If you are already booked in and just counting the days before you go - Have a great time!!!
I will be back next fall and I can't wait.

8 Thank passionfortravel9
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,556 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,865 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!