“Amazing Holiday”

Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Psalidi
England
“Amazing Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Myself and Boyfriend visited this hotel in early June.
I, myself had never been to Greece and neither of us had been to Kos which we thoroughly enjoyed and would definitely return.
On arriving at the hotel we could see we were very close to the main road into Kos Town and also a minutes’ walk from the sea.
The Hotel has a lovely appearance inside and out. Our room was of good size and clean and to a reasonably modern standard so we were really pleased.
We would have had a pool view if it wasn’t for the large tree in front of us but we still had plenty to see, mountains and overlooked the outdoor eating and bar area. Our front door view was just as impressive as we overlooked more mountains.
The Hotel has two large pools, one with a Jacuzzi which was nice. There are plenty of sun beds but the Hotel pool gets busy due to its popularity.
There are plenty of activities to do throughout the day. The entertainment team do a great job of coming round and trying to get you to do different activities throughout the day.
The food was really impressive, I normally don’t like doing all inclusive or half board as I like to try new things but we went half board and I really enjoyed it. There was a great variety of meats, vegetables, rice, pastas and lots of salads. Every night they do a speciality too, such as a roast hog or Gyros or a roast chicken.
Drinks at the hotel we found expensive but when aren’t they! A vodka and coke was 7euros which is what you pay for a cocktail. We used to have our meal (with water) and head into the town on an evening.

Kos town is fantastic, full of history, bars, restaurants and shops galore, especially handbag shops!!! I was in my element! There is one strip to be avoided for couples or older couples, it was more lively and persistent nagging for you to come into their bars. We walked up their once and then avoided for the rest of the holiday!
There are some lovely trendy bars further in across from all the boats. Prices vary from each bar, some bars doing beers for 2Euros. Cocktails were around 6euros.
Kos its self is really easy to get around, the benefit of the Platanista is there is a bike shop pretty much outside the front door. We hired push bikes most days and one day we had a quad and in the day we travelled the whole island and managed to visit Zia up in the mountains which is really worth a trip!
For any lazy ladies like myself as much as it was easy on the bike as its all flat it’s still tiring in the heat, may I suggest the electronic bike!! I had this for around 4 days and wish id had It for the full 11 days. It was amazing, no effort needed, no sweating and you fly up hills. I loved it.
You will find the majority of people in Kos use bikes and its great as cyclists have their own paths on the pavements so very safe.

I recommend the 3 Island boat trips they do on the harbour front in Kos Town. Some of the boats take on larger amounts. We sailed on ‘Christina’. There were about 40 of us on board and all allocated a sun bathing area along with a BBQ lunch. We also spent loads of time with the Dolphins, some boats just came and went but we were there a good 30minutes.

Beware Kos airport on your trip home is quite unorganised and very small so there is lots of queuing in and out of the hotel! If you want time in the airport allow for longer! But as long as you get on the plane home it doesn’t matter I suppose!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RichieRich_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Just returned after a two week break to this fabulous hotel.
The food is excellent with plenty of choice for any palate, the food is constantly being replenished during service so always hot or cold dependant on your choice.
Entertainment throughout the day is very good with a lot of energy and smiles put in by the animation team Thanks Maria, Nuno & Frankie.
The Bar and dinner staff work endlessly to pleasure the guests, thank you Alexandria and Nora for the most happy waitresses we have ever known nothing to much trouble for them and always smiling, other staff are of a happy nature.
The hotel is in a good location 100m away from the pebbly beach, the pools are immaculate by any standard, the hotel throughout is very clean and maid services the rooms daily to a high standard.
Psaldi it self is spartan but a short 20-25 minute walk to Kos town which has everything you need young and old.
I have read over the last few days other reviews stating that you had to go down marble steps to the pool, if the people only took time to look round there are ways without taking the six steps so easy for the infirm.
Other critcal comments about Men wearing long trousers to evening meal, this itself keeps the hotel standards up of which I agree on, the hotel should also enforce some rules on ladies dress code as some guests were inappropriately dressed.
Prices of drinks are within expected limits for the class of hotel, yes everyone would love cheaper prices but give the hotel some credit as they have many staff to pay.
Sunbeds yes a lot were reserved but always plenty of empty beds around, people just moved them to the spot they wished to reside for the day.
The only gripes I would personally have is the cost of internet access in todays world the cost of putting this on the holiday adding say £20 would not put anyone off, but €3 an hour or variable rate is extortionate, they actually lose out to local bars as they offered free access and for €3 you get a beer thrown in.
Local bar at the bottom of the road Nestoras, we were welcome daily by members of its family.
Yes would return again, equally wish we could take this hotel with us to different locations.

5 Thank Brian C
Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We have just returned from a delightful weeks stay at the Hotel Platanista in Psalidi and had to write a review to comment on how wonderful it really was. We have been to Kos 3 times before and stayed at the Kos Imperial on 2 occasions which is a 5 star hotel (and also fabulous) however I must say that if I was to rate on food quality and location, the Platanista would get my vote. We stayed in a standard room with a view over the pool area and it was spacious and immaculately clean. As we were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary whilst on holiday they also provided a complimentary bottle of bubbly which we felt was a lovely touch. We stayed on a half board basis and both breakfast and evening meals were delicious. I am a bit of a fussy eater if I'm being honest and usually end up having the standard pasta dishes after a few days but I can honestly say I was amazed at the choice and quality of the food. A big thank you to the Chef who obviously makes the food with love, the Mousaka was to die for! We had planned to eat out on a few evenings which is what we usually do on half board options as I sometimes get bored eating the same things but it was so good that we didn't bother. A shout out goes to Makis and Nora in the bar who were working tirelessly to provide us with mind blowing cocktails, you have to try a barman's special or Long Island tea, they will knock your head off! After arriving late on the Saturday night the bowls of crisps Makis offered were a Godsend! We don't have children but the entertainment and animation team were very enthusiastic and there was never a dull moment. We preferred the beach to relax which is literally a few minutes walk from the hotel. There is a bicycle hire shop just down the road from the hotel and I would recommend hiring bikes as the road to Kos town is flat and has a bicycle path so is safe to travel. It is a great way to see the sites. We also went to Thermes Hot Spring on the bikes but this is more of a challenging route and has a steep hill section, however if you're up for a challenge and take your time this too was a pleasant experience. The tavernas within walking distance across from the hotel are also of high quality and we lunched at several on our stay, with wonderful views over to Turkey. Another quality eating experience can be had at the Platanos restaurant by the Hippocrates Tree in Kos old town. I only had a chicken and mozzarella salad but it was scrummy, and wonderfully presented too. It's also great for a cheeky beer to watch the world go by.The H20 bar and the one next to it on the way into Kos are also ideal for relaxing in an evening. All in all we had a fab time and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone. We will definitely be returning to the Platanista. Yes, the airport is a bit of a nightmare but you know what? 'This too shall pass'. We had an evening flight so didn't mind queuing outside. The Thomson reps did a good job at trying to organise people too and Natalie in particular seemed to be keeping a handle on things. For anyone who has booked to go in the next few weeks all I can say is 'You lucky devils', have a great time, we did!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lisa B
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Spent a week there with my 16 year old son during the first week of July and was impressed with the hotel. Had read a lot of good reviews prior to going and glad I wasn't let down. The staff at this hotel are worth their weight in gold and are a credit to the Hotel. Some names I don't remember, but the ones who made lasting impressions are Maria and Spartak at the bar and the events team of Maria, Nuno and Frankie. The hotel is spotlessly clean, especially the room we stayed in. The food selection was good and the buffet was constantly filled if anything ran low. One thing that I didn't like was the fact that gentlemen need to wear long trousers when dining in the evening. Now I understand if they don't want swimwear or football shorts, but surely neat, tailored shorts shouldn't be an issue in that climate?? The prices for drinks, both alcoholic and soft drinks/water are quite high, but I guess it's down to the economic climate. Kos Town is right on the doorstep and well worth a visit. We hired bikes from the place on the hotel road. Very reasonable. The only excursion we went on was the "three Island boat trip" that we booked through Thomsons and it was brilliant. I'd definitely recommend it. I'm not one for going back to places I've been to for a holiday, but if I did, the Platanista is definitely somewhere I'd go again.

3 Thank Andy F
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

We loved this hotel for quality, service and location. Although close to the main beach road to Kos Town it was a very serene hotel but well served by the entertainment staff. Dining choice was excellent and international. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Our room, 255, was ideally situated. It was a short walk to reception, dining room and front of hot...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

We have just returned from this hotel, 6 were in our party age ranges from 30 to sprightly 81's, - a family holiday. First point to note, there are lots of marble steps in this hotel, when entering the hotel, going down to breakfast/dinner, down from the reception area to get to the pool and even more steps to get down to the pools themselves. Our two 80 year olds managed, just. Everywhere is immaculately clean. The maids work very, very hard. Sheets and towels changed every single day and rooms cleaned. There are no tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms which I found odd and could have done with. There is a mini bar full off miniatures, coke, water, Fanta, nuts etc. If you buy bottled water alas there is nowhere to keep it cool as you get a telling off from reception if you put it in the mini bar as it is checked and restocked every day. Ladies, not many coat hangers. We had 9 between us in our room so everything was doubled up or laid over the back of the chairs etc. Gentlemen, you MUST wear long trousers to dinner. Alcoholic drinks are quite pricey and so is the coke and water. The restaurant staff are very attentive and excellent service. Food is good and there is a special every night. Waffles and Crepes for breakfast, the usual English. Bread and rolls are lovely every day. Plenty of salad choices. Roast lamb, roast pork, hog roast, turkey, beef, fresh salmon, vegetables are usually green beans, peas, sprouts, cauliflower. Could do with being a little hotter but hey ho, lots going on. Usual ice creams and cake selections even some Gluten free! Lots of Germans, more than Brits. The doors in Germany must be made from cast iron because they really do hammer on them! Beds by the pool should not be reserved by the placing of towels but as you go to breakfast towels are laid on all the empty sun beds. If you don't get to the pool in good time all the beds are gone. There are two pools both fresh water and a small Jacuzzi in the smaller pool by the swim up cocktail bar. The staff here work very hard, they serve at breakfast, then go on to either a snack bar or cocktail bar, they then appear at dinner. We were walking back to the hotel after 11 p.m and the waiter from breakfast 7.30a.m. onwards was just leaving! The evening entertainment starts with a kiddies disco and we went out so not sure what was going on thereafter. They do come round and ask if you want to join in water polo, aerobics, mini golf etc - a polite no thank you, not today and they wish you a good day and move on. There are a couple of tavernas at the end of the drive, Michael's to your left as you leave the hotel drive is a nice spot. He is ever smiling and brings crisps, nuts and mama's homemade cake. Nice family. Bikes, scooters, cars etc can be hired from the driveway to the hotel. There are bus stops on the end of the driveway into Kos town but they are packed by the time they get to Platanista. Not a long journey though. Good old walk into Kos town along the sea front, would take about 40-45 minutes. Mythos is about Euros 4. Cocktails about Euros 5. In Kos town you can get Mythos for about Euros 3 on the sea front. They will charge you Euros 49 if you want to book your room on the last day after 12 noon but this is only from 12 noon to 6p.m. Ask to use the hotel complimentary showers if your flight is a late one, pick up a towel from Reception. Showers are on lower ground. On the whole we all enjoyed our stay here and would we return again? Yes and would I recommend this hotel to family and friends, yes, most definitely. My mother had her 81st birthday, we never mentioned it and the staff arrived at dinner with a lovely chilled bottle of champagne and they made a fuss of her, which was lovely. They make a note from your reservation of a birthday, they did the same for a few other guests as well.

Room Tip: All the rooms appear to be the same. All with air con.
4 Thank Carol S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel for the first time for a week on the 6th of July.
We arrived to the hotel and was shown to our room, room is very nice, double bed, balcony looking over the pool and could see the sea from our room, was very impressed. Breakfast is lovely, lots to choose from, pool area is nice, would recommend the second pool as the first pool there's lots of activies going on and me liking peace and quiet the second pool was nice and relaxed. Very nice pool bar yet the drinks I thought were far to expensive, a diet coke dearer than a beer, and I found sometimes they were changing there prices a little from day to day.
READ: please take trousers when you go to this hotel ( men) me and my boyfriend were informed at our welcome meeting that he had to wear trousers to dinner, now we wasn't informed on this by our travel agents so being like any normal person we didn't bother packing trousers due to the fact it would be hot on a night and wouldn't exactly be the comfiest. I approached a certain staff member who works behind reception, young man, black spikey hair, I told him we wasn't informed about this but we would go and look in kos town tomorrow for some so would it be ok to eat tonight, his reply was no, we were refused to eat which we had PAID for half board. Me and my boyfriend were very angry and disgussed with our rep, he soon sorted it for us and was then 'allowed' to eat that night. We chose not to for princible and the next day we bought some trousers but making it aware to the staff we wasn't happy the way we were treated. I would go back and visit , hopefully they would have got rid of their dated rule about long trousers at dinner, instead change it to smart dress code... I didn't understand why you weren't allowed to wear knee length shorts yet you were allowed to wear track suit bottoms and sleeveless tops? That really did baffle me. Other than that mishap the staff were helpful and the maid always kept our room lovely and clean. Kos is a beautiful place. Recommend the 3 island boat trip on a Thursday.
Chloe and Ashley.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Chloedavis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Psalidi
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel
The Mitsis Ramira Beach Hotel
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa
Kos Aktis Art Hotel
Kos Aktis Art Hotel
#7 of 52 in Kos Town

Been to Platanista Hotel? Share your experiences!