“A little haven of relaxation”
Review of Platanista Hotel

Platanista Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Psalidi
Brighton
“A little haven of relaxation”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My girlfriend and I visited Hotel Platanista last July.
A short transfer from the airport and in a great location. Just far enough out of town to be quiet, but close enough to walk/ride/catch a bus in and visit some of the local restaurants and bars.
The hotel was very clean and comfortable, spacious room and a fully functioning air con! (which seems to be less available these days).
Breakfast and dinner buffets had a wide choice, I'd definitely recommend the waffles for breakfast!
Lovely taverna at the bottom of the road which serves freshly caught, local fish. I'd also recommend going on one of the excursions - Nisyros boat trip and island tour and the Katerina island cruise.
The only negative I had during my stay was that some of the staff came across as a bit rude and judgemental (being younger than the majority of couples and families and mostly covered in tattoos, didn't seem to bode well with some). The facilities, food, rooms and majority of staff made this a super relaxed and memorable holiday.

Room Tip: West facing rooms away from the pool for maximum quietness and a lovely sunset to enjoy on your balc...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dmchase

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is my first review, but I could not not write a review on this hotel because it deserves the praise. We stayed for a week half board from 15th-22nd July as a couple (30/40 yrs old)

Service - I did not see one person not looking like they were not enjoying their job, whether it is the Chambermaids to Front of house. There has to be 4 shout outs though to Maria, Julia, Michael for service and Spartak for running the Bar, this man works at 110% whether it is is 5:30pm or 3:30am.

Cleanliness - Spotless everywhere!!!

Food - Excellent - it changed every night with a good selection of Greek and English Food - catering for all, also they never ran out of anything, it was topped up well.
The Salad Bar was out of this world and would have been happy if it was only that.

Animation Team - I should say this is not for me so I was pleased that they never bothered you in the day to join in with the activities.
In the evening if you were sat round the Bar and not in the main seats it did not interfere with your evening. Also it was over by 10:30/11pm.
But I should say it was pleasant enough entertainment and nothing too outrageous.

Location - Perfect - It is just off the main road so quiet from traffic, lovely beach at the end of the road. If you wanted to do sight seeing in Kos town it is only 5 minutes on the bus which stops right outside the hotel or you can hire Bikes.

This is my first Beach Holiday in 4yrs and it did not disappoint one bit, a tiny place or relaxation, I would highly recommended.

The only thing I would warn people about is that it is not a "Kids Club" type of hotel, it is perfect for couples so if you book with Children please make sure they are happy amusing themselves.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a delux room on our first night and it was amazing if you can afford the extra...
2 Thank Kelly W
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I never usually write reviews but I feel that I had to share how fabulous this hotel was. We visited this hotel 14th July 2014….We have stayed in platinum hotels before but this hotel as been the best by far. It is everything that you want in a hotel; from being friendly, spotlessly clean, outstanding food and so on and so forth. The only disappointing thing was that we only booked to go for a week and wished we booked for longer. If you are looking for a beautiful hotel to totally relax then this is definitely the hotel for you. And to be honest, looking at some of the hotels and accommodation around Kos area we definitely hit the jackpot. Even though this hotel is located in the quieter part of Kos, you can higher bikes, cars, mopeds and beach buggies etc for next to nothing per day and this is just near the entrance of the hotel. There is even a bus stop just at the end of the drive of the hotel. The hotel does have its own beach just across the road which is lovely but small and lots of pepples therefore you would benefit from beach shoes....However the pools at this hotel were fab, not too busy and plenty of sunbeds so need to rush out in the morning. Overall a perfect hotel and one I definitely want to go back to.
Tip…if there is three people sharing a room, I would book the double with a single bed and not the twin with the pull out bed…. This was the mistake that we done but my son being taller than I this sofa bed was way too small, however I did mention this to the Thomson rep Katie but to be honest with you she was only interested in booking the trips…..so I mentioned it to the Hotel staff and the issue was resolved immediately….Also the transfer times from airport to hotel were fab not to long around 20-30mins whereby its states that it can take up to 1 and half hours on Thomson website. so this was a bonus...

Room Tip: We found our room fab. We were facing the gardens room 113 but I suppose you would have to be caref...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Clarejjl2
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed from the 9th - 19th July and it was our first time in Kos. After being escorted to our room upon arrival we were not let down at all - it was cosy yet there was still plenty of space and there was even a little balcony looking out to Spartak's bar! Being teenagers, our next mission was to find the free wifi and although it did take a while to connect, it wasn't bad for browsing twitter and facebook.
The two pools were refreshing and not too cold or crowded. One had a pool bar where you could sit and have a drink, and the main pool was great for aquagym and water polo! There were plenty of sunbeds, but it would be advised to grab them near the deep end where the ball doesn't roll out of the pool whilst playing water polo, trust me.
The staff are definitely a clear highlight of the hotel, they are so friendly and treat you very well, making you feel at home as soon as you arrive. The waiters were efficient and Spartak's bar was great in the evening so you could enjoy the evening entertainment with a beverage, thank you Cristian, Mike, Catalin and definitely Spartak for some really pleasant nights!
Evening entertainment was, however, a hit or miss - the 'professional' entertainment was good, from fire breathing to break dancing mimes! It is not to say though that the animation team who ran some other evenings didn't put a huge smile on your face with the effort that they put in. They were so lovely, friendly, and provided excellent activities throughout the day - especially the Opa Opa dance! Shout out to John and his great DJing in the daytime. It would be great to hear a tad more music by the pool during the lunch hours to keep relaxed.
The food was generally very good, particularly the pancake maker who made pancakes in front of your very eyes at your request. The evening buffet was also good and there was something for everybody, but the Greek night topped the lot!
So overall Hotel Platanista was definitely worth the while, couldn't find a single fault and therefore hoping to stay again next year.

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom floor are easy to get in and out from the balcony, however they don't provid...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank laur4thexplorer
Caerphilly, Wales
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Having cruised with NCL for the previous two years we were a little apprehensive at the prospect of staying in one place for a week. We needn't have worried, this hotel did not in anyway go beneath our expectations. Everything about it from it's staff, level of service, food and rooms was fantastic. I confess to being slightly of OCD nature and I never once had a complaint. My only gripe is not with the hotel but with Thomson who should try to accommodate the late room/very late flight scenario.

Thank you Hotel Platanista for a lovely stay, we will definitely return.

5 Thank AClemmie
Shropshire
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed at Platanista 5th - 16th July. We stayed in room 284 (overlooking entrance to hotel, away from pool and stage area so nice and peaceful, you could also go out via a 2nd staircase thus avoiding having to go through reception). We arrived at about 11pm and had assumed we would be at least offered a snack as we had missed dinner but nothing was offered so just had a quick drink at the main bar. Breakfast is the usual self-service buffet type with lots of choice. My personal favourite is greek yoghurt (yum!) and fruit but if you prefer a cooked 'English breakfast' you won't be disappointed, along with waffles, crepes and cereals - you'd have to be really 'picky' NOT to find something you like.. We tend not to eat lunch on holidays but munch on fruit etc. so I can't really comment on lunches. Dinner - again I'm happy with salads pretty much most of the time so I was well catered for. Crackers would have been nice to have with cheese but weren't available. Lots of choice and lets face it, if you try something and you don't like it just try something else!! We usually sat at the bar in the entertainment area after dinner where Spartak, Michael, Christian and Maria served us. Entertainment as mentioned before was hit and miss!! Sometimes 'prefessional' acts which were good and sometimes the animation team improvising! (they tried bless 'em and at times it was sooo bad it was good!!) Monika (animation) came and chatted to us at the bar one night and was interested in what we thought of the shows and told us about herself, lovely girl. We had pre-booked a hire car for 3 days and toured the island (doesn't take long given that its only about 25 x 5 miles!) Paradise beach nice for a day out plus we found lots of other nice little beaches such as Tigaki. We did 2 excursions with Thomsons - to the volcano - brilliant guide, Marianna ?? I think. She's very knowledgeable and gave us a running commentary ALL the time! We also did the Zia village trip (only about 20 mins away) to watch the sunset, very pretty - we ate in a lovely restaurant (can't remember name but if you walk back down the hill its on your left, blue and white with lots of greenery covering balcony, starts with an 'O' - highly recommended). We hired bikes for a couple of days (bear in mind its 40 years since I've been on a bike!!) had great fun, cycle path all the way into Kos (I have scars, literally!). There are restaurants on the walk into Kos but we didn't try any so can't comment. All in all we really enjoyed our time at this hotel, we like walking so it wasn't a problem being a little bit out of town but wouldn't want to walk in every night. We found the staff to be really helpful and polite. As we were checking out we were offered a voucher for lunch as we had missed dinner on the 1st night! ( see comment previously) and subsequently realised we could have ordered a take-out lunch to have on the flight! DOH!! Really happy overall. Don't know where all the negative comments came from, we enjoyed it. We emptied the mini-bar and put our own things in it and the next day were ticked off about it!! From previous comments it seems it depends who you ask whether they let you have the fridge emptied or not!!

Room Tip: We had room 284, overlooking entrance, overlooking courtyard, quiet.
4 Thank Pam M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel looks like a Venetian castle, with white terraces and little towers on every building. It looks very beautiful, especially when lit at night. The hotel is spotlessly clean, we stayed in Family Room, the room was nothing special, but comfortable and pleasant, with wide screen TV and fridge. There is no safe in the room. The hotel has two large pools with plenty of sunbeds and two bars. The best asset of the hotel was the staff - reception, waiters, bartenders were extremely friendly and professional, and they actually seemed to enjoy serving you! The food was very good, great choice and quality. There was seafood and fresh fish every day and they really cater for every taste and nationality. Kos town is nearby, about 20 minutes walk. The bus stops just outside the hotel, but when you want to go in the evening , the buses are quite often full and just don't stop to pick up more passengers. The pool/beach towels are chargeable ,£3.50 per towel per week, but they are changed every day. The only downside was the beach - if you are a beach lover, like we are, there is not much on offer. The beach is located about 150 meters across the road from the hotel, it has some sand ( but it's not beach sand), and the seabed has pebbles and large stones, difficult to walk or to swim. Apart from that it was a wonderful holiday and we couldn't have chosen a better hotel for a price.

2 Thank Kate T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Psalidi
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel
Mitsis Ramira Beach Hotel
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa
Kos Aktis Art Hotel
Kos Aktis Art Hotel
#8 of 49 in Kos Town

Been to Platanista Hotel? Share your experiences!