“Very good hotel”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Psalidi
UK
“Very good hotel”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We have just returned from our last minute break at the Ramira Beach. We stayed at the hotel between the 3rd and the 10th of October in a superior room. We booked with Broadway Travel and after reading many reviews I found the hotel to be consistently good.

Our first impressions of the hotel as we arrived we're beautifully maintained grounds and a well appointed spacious lobby. We arrived around 1pm after our transfer with Dodecanese Travel, these are ones to avoid as even though the hotel was around 25 minutes from the airport our transfer was nearly 2 hours long.

We we're allocated a room which was spacious, spotlessly clean, fully stocked free minibar and plenty of toiletries. We did have a major gripe with this room as it directly overlooked the restaurant building and all the extractor fans. It did make this room extremely noisy and the smells from the food cooking entered the room. We complained to reception and we we're moved to a pool/sea view room in one of the bungalows within 2 days which was exceptional. Air Conditioning worked great and the bed was comfortable.

Food at the hotel was great, we ate at the main restaurant most evenings. Food was plentiful, hot and tasty. Always a selection of salads, pastas, hot dishes and gyros, there is something for everyone! It does get a little samey but as I didn't pay a fortune for this holiday I was not bothered. You also need to pay a visit to Efi the pancake lady, one of the happiest members of staff I came across and she does make a mean pancake. I think you can't find something to eat you must be a incredibly fussy eater.

You had to queue outside the restaurant to be seated by the manager, I thought this was great as it avoided the scrum of people trying to find tables which I've experienced at other all inclusive hotels. I never saw the queue to be longer than maybe 10/15 guests and didn't have to wait longer than 5 minutes. It never stretched as far as reception! I also recommend eating in the Chinese/Italian during your stay, great food and service. Breakfast was very good, american/continental affair, was a bit of a pain queuing up for eggs in the morning but never waited too long. Tea/Coffee/Juice served to the table.

The vast majority of staff at the hotel we're very friendly, attentive and we're very welcoming. The waiters in the restaurants and bars worked all day and night but always ensured if you we're sitting around the pool or in the bars that you we're served. Receptionists we're very informative and some of the questions thrown at them by other guests they seemed to be unflappable.The animation team we're excellent, very chatty but knew when to leave you alone. They organised plenty of activities, shows and competitions with very decent prizes!

The pool bars we're excellent, drink was usual all inclusive affair and lots of hot snacks available. I did like at night that before the shows put on by the animation team they would bring out hot salty/sweet popcorn. We usually stayed outside next to the pool for the night listening to the music and chatting with other guests. You do need to bring some mosquito repellent to sit outside as there are plenty of mosquitoes and they love taking a bite out of my feet!

The location was good, bit of a way out from Kos town, around a 45 minute walk or 20 minutes on the bike from the hotel. We hired bikes most days from outside the hotel for 3 euros, great flat ride all the way into the center of town with bike paths everywhere! I really enjoyed cycling along the front, its a must.

Both pool areas we're great, there was plenty of sunbeds and we saw no reserving of beds. Some days we wouldn't get down to the pool until 12pm but there we're always beds available. The beach on the other hand was not the best, great little pods that sheltered you from the wind and good service from the bar. The beach was very rocky and a little tatty, you do need to have some beach shoes to go down.

Kos is a wonderful island, you need to hire a car to get the most of your holiday. We visited Zia, Agios Stefanos, Paradise beach and many other places. Nisyros is also a must do. Don't book car hire or trips through the hotel as they are very expensive. We booked a car through Trust for 107 Euros for 4 days and the Nisyros tour with one of the agencies in the harbour in Kos Town.

Overall a very good hotel, we would return.

3 Thank DTJ05

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Norfolk
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Tuesday we returned from this brilliant hotel and can't praise it high enough (except the hard bed). It is run by happy, helpful and friendly staff, who make you feel like family rather than customers. The hotel was spotless and the food was excellent which included a Chinese and Italian option. Everyone should have a pancake as the lady that makes them can talk for England!!!! The Animation team consisting of Mickey, Flo, JoJo, Alex and Rebecca were excellent keeping both children and adults entertained day and evening. The Abba show was brilliant and not to be missed. Thank you to everyone at the hotel for making our holiday special. We'll be back.

nottinghamshire
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed here in the second week of September ,this is a great hotel it's the only hotel outside of the carabean that I have had the mini bar included in the all inclusive . The food was good and so was the Chinese . You can hire bikes outside the hotel 3 euros a bike and the cycle lane runs all the way to kos town which is 3 1/2 km and is flat all the way .the rooms are nice and great if you get a ground floor near the pool, the staff are great , kos divers are in the hotel next door if you like scuba diving ,and for sea food try the haven it's in kos town in the harbour ,look for the navy boat it's straight across from it .

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms to open out in the grounds round the pool .
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachelw_9
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Ok here we go, I don't normally write any reviews, but feel that i have to on this occasion. My wife and I travelled from the uk on the 26th Sept - 10th Oct. arrived 11.00pm at the hotel by taxi which cost 38 euros well worth it as the coach took 2 hours to get to the hotel. Check - in very easy, food laid on if you wanted it. Safe cost 35 euros for 2 weeks, hotel looked ok at that point fairly quiet too. We were taken to our room 310 which was very comfortable and roomy, wandered what all the black marks were on the walls, found out they were dead squashed insects. aircon worked great, also next morning fabulous sea view. Upgraded room as it was my birthday.

Food and restaurants - Food was very good plenty of choice, was not keen on the deserts too moussey and sickly for me. We ate at the Italian not sure why it was called it an Italian as the only Italian thing there was the pasta and pizzas and they were lovely. The Chinese restaurant was slightly better decor but sod that the food was gorgeous we ate there at least 4 times, when you go you will know what I mean. that being said there was an issue on our first visit, we were all seated at 8.30 pm and given menus, by 8.55 pm, they had not even taken our order, on looking round we found that everyone else were eating and not us which seemed odd. so got up and walked out and ate in the main restaurant. spoke to the main man in the suit the hotel manager, who went straight in to see the waiters, on his return he apologised profusely and a new booking was made for the next night, where a bottle of the hotels own wine was provided, even had a table cloth and prompt attention. Just to remind you this is an a la carte retaurant, in which they pride themselves on, I have been in many a la carte restaurants you expect a good level of service. this did not stop me going back another 3 times though.
Now we come to the main restaurant, well here goes. when you arrive for your meals, you have to que up outside the door and wait to be seated by the waiter, ok you think, well not when the que is that long it stretches back to near the reception. If you are booked into the a la cartes you still have to que up outside in a different que and be checked in by the head waiters, then comes the best it, you are paraded in front of the whole retaurant, being herded through in front of everyone staring at you, feeling just like a sheep.
When you are seated for breakfast your are asked if you would like tea or coffee, dont bother with either they are always stone cold, i always asked the waiter or waitress if it is hot, the reply was well no, fair enough. There is no way you can make yourself tea or coffee after any meals as there are no facilities. We waited to leave the restaurant to go to the bar to try and get a hot coffee, but guess what so did everyone else, which was kaos at the bar, long ques again, there is no haste either so be prepared to wait. for some reason there are no plates by the toaster or bread stations, if you forget and put toast in you have about a 75 yard dash to pick up a plate. The que for the fried eggs were also very long, so the toast went cold, if you did it the other way round your eggs got cold before your toast was ready as you always had to put through twice as it did not toast on the first go, then another 75 yard dash to put beans and sausages on your plates. most of the ques started from the woman cooking the eggs as she would converse a lot with guests and only cook a few eggs at a time. there is a dress code which is printed in different languages in the room and outside the restaurant but I still managed to sit opposite a man having his evening meal in his vest. You may think that i am being picky, but believe me, you will witness it for yourself, you will know what i am saying.

Drinks - Well rubbish really, no branded drinks not even to buy. I asked for a sherry and the look I got was of such disgust I felt ashamed. The cocktails were very poor and hit and miss you sometimes didn't get what you ordered, beer was nice and cold. if you are English you had to wait for the waitress to ask you what you wanted to drink, in the end i ended going up to the bar myself most of the time. There are no drinks stations anywhere around the hotel, if you wanted a drink outside of your room you had to be served it simple as that.

Entertainment - The animation team did their best and were very funny. but if you left your seat to go to the shows, you would not get a seat when you got back, so a lot of people did not go to the shows which was a shame. One thing which concerned me was the amount of card schools that were congregating everynight a hell of a lot of them, at times it looked like a poor mans Las Vegas, was the entertainment that bad. Most nights it was very boring the lobby of the hotel looked awful hundreds of people trying to get a seat, looking very bored if not playing cards. they had 2 tv's on showing football only everyday and night. my wife got 10 mozzy bites on the first night in the lobby, lucky for her we took deet repellant, and got no other bites, I think they bit the Russians instead . We were also surprised how many children were there off school, as there were very verbal, screaming babies at meal times, you dont want it really, other guests also commented.

Pool and the Beach - Didn't go in pools as they were very cold and were sea water, one guest complained of green algae in one of the pools so did not want to swim in it. Tried once to get a bed round the main pool, gave up as there were all towel reserved even if the hotel did not allow it. Went to one pool which was meant to be the quiet pool, till a family turned up and then the kids screamed with glee and then screamed with tears, as it always ends up. Swam in the sea lots of fish, take bread with you and you will have lots of fish swimming round your legs. you will need beach shoes. great beach bar serving wonderful gyros and salads. The pods on the beach kept the wind off you, which was a blessing some days as it got very windy.

Kos - was very good, booked bikes most of the time we were there cost 3 euros a day less if you had them longer, took about 10 - 15 mins to cycle into town, buses were 1.65 euros but always full. great bars, shops with lots of bargains. We went on the 3 island boat tour booked at the harbour for 25 euros.

Incident - one evening we were woken about 3.30 am to music and a lot of noise from our neighbours in the next room who seemed to be having a party. no way could you sleep through that noise. My wife was so incensed she went next door and hammered on the door and told them in a not so polite way to be be quiet as it was not on. they were Russians, reported it to the receptions who took note and asked if it happened again for us to phone them straight away.

Kos really good, hotel not so good, we will not be staying again or recommend it. Most of the guests were elderly and the standard were probably just what they were used to.

Now we have stayed at many 5 star hotels in the past, this is not 5 star more like 3/4 star. If you advertise your selves as 5 stars then that is what customers expect ,with all the 1st class facilities you would expect from such a high class establishment. They did not make the grade, this holiday was not cheap in the first place.

Well enough of me going on, this is just our experience albeit not a very good one, some people may get help from this review others wont. If you choose to ignore the negative feedback that is your choice. Please go and see for your self, I will look forward to reading your negative review on your return.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room, it is worth it for the view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Glenn D
Edenbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We have just returned from a last minute holiday at Ramira Beach hotel. We had a lovely time. The hotel was very comfortable and clean. All staff, without exception, were very friendly and attentive. The food was excellent, considering they cater for quite a few different nationalities. It was our first visit to Kos , and we were not disappointed, everywhere we visited (mainly Kos town) people were friendly and helpful. Had we been staying longer we would have hired a car(maybe next time. We used the bus a few times into kos, the first time being dangerously over crowded, as the buses run every half an hour, its better to wait for one less crowded. We certainly ate and drank too much, my husband gained 6lb in one week, as yet I am to frightened to get on the scales.Though a diet is now a must. My only complaint was NO mattress protectors, a bit of a must in such a busy hotel. Susan Shearman

Room Tip: We chose a ground floor room, with a pool view, to avoid too many steps.
1 Thank Allan S
UK
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The Ramira Beach scores quite high in lots of areas but the beach is a disappointment, when we visited in September the wind and rough seas where a problem ,I'd forgotten just how windy it can get on Kos and whilst the personal service on the beach was nice the gravel beach was poor and swimming was only for the strong swimmers due to the accessability through the stoney sea edge -not for kids. On a positive front the AI was some of the best we have had, food was generally very good, staff generally pleasant , maid service good and drinks generously given and taken ! THe rooms are a little tired and though we only had a standard room it wasn't really 4/5* I think it depends on whether you are in the main block or not our bed was 2 singles pushed together and was very uncomfortable, the late arrival we had was dealt with well but on that front I would recomend paying a little extra for a taxi to the hotel, our transfer to the hotel via a coach through Holiday Taxis agents (Dodecanese travel) took over 2 hours which for a journey of about 25 minutes was completely unacceptable arriving at 0100 is not the best way to start your holiday ! This review may be a bit harsh as the 2 main grumbles are the transfer and the beach because generally the hotel is well run and the staff do try to make your holiday enjoyable and the food is pretty good which is half the battle -Wi Fi pretty rubbish I'm afraid !

Room Tip: Try and get in the main block you can be a long way from bars/restaurants/pools if outside the main...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cjad30
Stranraer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This was our second visit to Kos but first staying at Ramira Beach on an all inclusive basis, if it was in our nature to stay the whole holiday at the hotel we would not have spent a penny, the reception area was nicely furnished as was the lounge area, our room was spacious and had a sea view, tea making facilities which was a bonus and a fridge which was generously stocked and topped up every second day which was included in our package. Great food and good facilities, they also provided packed lunches. Friendly staff and Dimitris the hotel manager very attentive. Ramira has beach pods and sun loungers but you need to be quick as a lot are taken up before breakfast. Lovely area, takes about 30-45mins to walk into Kos town itself, bikes can also be hired and are an easy way to get about as they have super bike lanes around the town. We also hired a car and toured the island which is easy as there is one main road, Zia is a very popular spot with super views of the island. Definately worth a visit to the Ramira a credit to the Mitsis chain.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Junie0628
Also consider these accommodations in or near Psalidi
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Mitsis Summer Palace
#19 of 39 in Kardamena
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,192 reviews
Kipriotis Village Resort

Been to Mitsis Ramira Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!