“Unacceptable food”

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Psalidi
wirral
“Unacceptable food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

We are currently sat in the bar of this hotel and felt i could not wait till my return home to write this review a full review will follow once i return home The hotel so far is really nice apart from the food in the main buffet restaurant is absolutelt appalling are we the only people who think that eating food that is swarming with flies is unacceptable there is a solution to this which is quite simple COVER it up . After speaking to the thomson rep she assured me that the hotel are aware of this problem Well all i can say is that as the hotel are aware of it and have yet done nothing about it then they obviously feel that it is acceptable to feed guests this unhygienic fly ridden food

• Stayed July 2012
12 Thank michele1965Wirral

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
York, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

My partner and I returned from 10 days away at the Oceanis and wanted to let you know what a positive experience it was. We wanted a tranquil break in an adults only holiday with great weather, great food and the option to do more if you wanted. We went to turkey with Thomson last year and it was perfect, so thought we'd give this one a go this year. Although we had an amazing time, I think there are things that could be improved for the benefit of future visitors, so I'll be as honest as I can.

The hotel is lovely, clean, spacious and bright. While there are often a high number of guests staying there it doesn't feel crowded and there is space around the pools and on the beach to get away and relax. The room I would say met expectations - we had a shared courtyard area I which there was a private pool. I'm not sure how the people who paid for the private pool area felt about the shared courtyard space, as there's not much privacy. I understand the point others made about the toilet door being a glass pane - best bet is to get your other half to turn the tv volume up! The bed was very comfortable and air conditioning effective.

The food was plentiful and perfect for both myself (veggie) and partner (carnivourous). They do Greek and Asian themed evenings so there is an opportunity to try different dishes. I ate very healthily. With Thomson you also get the Italian a la carte included for one night; this was nice but no better than the self service so I'm glad it was included! We are not huge drinkers but there's plenty of variety, branded spirits are extra but this is normal. Watch the ouzo measures as they are quadruples at least!

The entertainment was appropriately low key and enjoyable - Andy the resident musician is indeed talented. The events manager, Shanna, did a great job of organising activities day and night. We attended the yoga sessions and music/bonfire on the beach which were great. All activities are opt-in and there is no hassle to get involved, but do so if you can. We chatted more to Shanna than the reps in the evenings, she had a lot of helpful bits of info ad advice.

The hotel staff are always friendly and impressively multi-lingual. Antonios the restaurant manager greets everyone personally and he and his team make an effort to ensure everyone is happy and catered for. Excellent work. I had my birthday when I was away and Antonios' team brought me a cake out and sang happy birthday in the restaurant. At the end of the day, we discovered the hotel had put flowers, balloons and a cake in the room too! I felt very special indeed!

We divided our time between the quiet pool and the beach. Both are clean and peaceful; the sea is lovely for swimming. We did 2 excursions - zia by night and the aegean cruise. Both were worth it. Zia is a very rustic place so do bring money for souvenirs and a restaurant meal as there isn't a great deal else to do! Kos town is definitely worth a visit and easy to get to on the bus for only 2 euro.

On the whole the hotel was everything we could have wished for, except 3 things. You have to pay 15 euro a week for the safe in your room, so we didn't bother. It does have wifi, but at a cost of 5 euro an hour. It's 2012, so I think free wifi is in order for the lounge areas of the hotel (they hardly get used). Also there is no ATM, but the hotel next door has one which is a 10 minute walk.

Unrelated to the hotel, but a consideration if travelling to Kos is the state of the airport. It is not fit for purpose, but given the state of the economy I can't see it getting upgraded soon. Best bet is to bring something to sit on and a book. Hardly enough space to stand let alone sit. I also think the Thomson flight service leaves something to be desired - it doesn't befit the 4/5 star holiday experience we are in the market for. Just very no frills - no entertainment, refreshments, old planes, but they got us there safely. I'd rather some aspects were baked into the price rather than being sold basic add ons all the way.

Think that's it, happy to answer any questions. If you like this hotel then I can also recommend the hotel flora garden in turkey, where we holidayed last year.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Marfypops
Stoke on Trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

We have stayed in many all inclusive couples Hotels and have found this is by far the best.
From the very beginning we were warmly greeted with a selection of welcome drinks and food whilst our luggage was was taken to our rooms.
The hotel rooms, facilities, grounds and restaurants were to a very high standard and the cleanlines was impeccable.
If i had to make a criticism, it would be that there is no bathroom door, and the door to the toilet was glass of which restricts your privacy a little.
All of the staff were outstanding from the maids to the wonderful Maitre 'd Antonios with only one exception of the pool bar manager George of which suferred with an attitude problem.
This however was not apparent with all of the other staff and they should be commended for their friendliness, service and hard work .
We had a seaview room in block 3 and was perfect to say for the location to all of the amenities and was nice and quiet at night. The rooms were of an excellent standard of which was cleaned everyday with largest most comfortable bed i have experienced in a hotel.
The food was excellent and the choice was vey good to suit all tastes especially as my husband is a very fussy eater and even he was spoilt for choice.
The Maitre'D Antonios was exceptional and always came to speak with every guest at all meal times to ensure your needs were fully met.
Whilst we were there it was my husbands Birthday and he had the most wonderful Birthday cake made at no extra cost with his name on and Antonios lined all of the staff up to sing Happy Birthday to him.
He was always very friendly and genuine.
This hotel is the package if you are looking for a high standard relaxing holiday set in beautiful well maintained grounds offering beach, pool and garden options all rolled into one.

Room Tip: block 3 seaview room with balcony. Close enough to all amenities but far enough away to ensure a goo...
12 Thank Tim W
newcastle upon tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

this hotel is fantastic the rooms are modern up to date . after reading a few reveiws on tripadvisor i thought the food was going to be realy poor, the food is as good as anywhere i,ve stayed before inc the riu palace mexico wich was fab. the whole place feels relaxed and laid back. you never find yourself waiting for anything inc drinks by the pool or at night they have this place well worked out. only one thing i would change is the wine in the a.la carte has to be paid for......daft cos you can get it free before you go and take it in with you. we stayed in room 2164 and loved it. the staff here from cleaners to top brass go out there way to make youre holiday . thinking of going back next year.

Room Tip: well i asked for a upper floor and was given a ground floor which was fab so what can i say
6 Thank musthavatan
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

I'm first guest of the season 2012 at Oceanis!!!! It's a perfect hotel for couples, with its 4 stars, what I really don't understand - it shoud have 5 stars for sure! Lovely stay, very, very nice, friendly and helpfull staff, amazing view on the sea side and mountains...heaving breakfest, lunch (at a taverna) and dinner - all meals if you wish on the external part of the restaurant with this unbelivable view is worth every money.....not to forget. All meals are delicious!!!! Oceanis is after renovation and all the scope of work they did is unbelivable and respecworthy. Rooms are modern, beautifull, but the hotel has still it's greek style - white buildings, all in white....what gives you absolutely amazing impression. To be honest - I love this kind of art - this mixture of elegance, modernity in "greek frames". They arranged everything in a very good taste - please don't look at old photos before renovation - now everything looks uncomparable better. Rooms and the whole hotel is very clean. We had red wine every day in our room and some fruits. Staff is like a big family - they like each other and you can fill it if they talk to you, that many of them are just friends. That's lovely. This is also most professional staff I've ever seen in Greece and I've visited many greek island and other parts of continental Greece, too. The stay at Oceanis was very relaxing and best of all my holiday stay...have to say. You don't have any road between the sea and the hotel - you have the sea just few steps away in a front of your room if you have room with the sea view. Many of sunbeds on the beach so you don't need to get up early morning to book your umbrella and sunbeds. There are many areas at the hotel to relax in the way you like, I'm sure. Water at the very beginning of May wasn't warm enough for me to swimm, but I will visit Oceanis in the end of the sommer this year as it's my favourite hotel now although water shoes are needed if you will come to the sea - not a problem at all if you have plenty of advantages there! Some photos will be helpfull for sure, please just look how amazing Oceanis looks like.....

Room Tip: Choose room on higher floor or just downstairs with private pool or jacuzzi.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Rob111111
Herzliya, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

I was there the first week of june 2012. all inclusive. with my boyfriend.

Good important things -

- Lobby and over all hotel - clean and inviting.
- Room: very tasteful modern design. a king/queen sized bed & great shower.
- No kids hotel ! hooray !
- Staff are very friendly and kind.
- Sea food and meat - superb !
- Bars, many of them and nice selection of drinks and snacks.
- Location, looks as if remote and yet we found everything to be very close.

Pleasant surprise near the end: we had to check out at 5am cause of our flight and the staff has prepared us 2 plates of fresh breakfast, coffee and juice !
we were the only ones there, we felt VIP :) so thank you.

Bad important things -

- Room: the part of the shower and toilet are not separated with a door. no matter how close you are to your spouse- there are things they dont need to hear ! :)
- Food: while it was good - it was lacking variety and we ate almost the same everyday.

those are most important, anything else i can live with :)

----- Bottom line: great romantic vacation hotel, worth every euro ! :) -----

3 Thank danatm
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed for a week in June and chose this hotel because of its boutique feel and decor and the fact we had our own mini pool. All the staff from the house maids to the staff at reception, bars and restaurants are very friendly and really nothing is too much trouble. We had a ground floor double with its own pool in block 3 with a side view of the sea. Restaurants were turned around very quickly with first class service, my only gripe is the buffet food was a bit boring I expected to see more greek dishes and a lot of it was tailored to the german guests. I certainly would not waste my money on any day trips they are a waste, hire a car instead for about £35.00 a day and explore the island your self theres only one main road so you can't get lost.

Room Tip: Don't book a jacuzzi room by the beach very noisy and the rooms dont get much sun, I never saw a...
11 Thank Shopaholic12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Psalidi
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Platanista Hotel
Platanista Hotel
#1 of 21 in Psalidi
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel
The Mitsis Ramira Beach Hotel
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa

Been to Sensimar Oceanis Beach & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!