“Great location!”

Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Psalidi
Kaiserslautern, Germany
“Great location!”
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Hotel Alexandra is a great location. Everything is in walking distance, so that was great. It only took 3-5 minutes to get to the main part of the town, 5 minutes to the harbor, 8 minutes to the night clubs/bar area, etc. Even the furthest part of Kos only took us about 20 minutes.

The hotel itself is nice and clean. The rooms however were okay, only because I thought the beds were extremely hard. Being an American these beds were way to firm for me and my German boyfriend who is used to firm beds also thought the beds were to hard. Our room view was the alley, which at night was very noisy and loud so be prepared for that. You'll hear scooters flying up and down the alley way and cats fighting...that sort of thing.

The breakfast was much better then we expected. They actually served real scrabbled eggs, fried eggs, bacon, little sausages, breads, sweet treats, yogurt, fruits, and veggies. So, the free breakfast was worth it considering it could have been much worse.

At night the bar is open and the bartender was very helpful is giving us suggestions for night clubs/bars and restaurants. During our stay there were two girls that worked the front desk who were not so friendly, so we went back to our bartender at night for suggestions instead.

Even their gym was good. It had enough dumbbell weights and good quality cable machines. One treadmill, a bike, and a step machince. The pool and hot tub looked nice, but we didn't use them.

The food in Kos is also very good. I suggest a placed called Petrino...very good starters/tapas and reasonable prices. We actually went there twice for dinner because we liked it so much. I recommend the tapas...an array of choices to suit your hungry needs.

On the last day we rented a scooter from Escape Rentals, which is along the harbor area. It was only 15 euros for the entire day and we were able to travel nearly every little town on Kos Island...it was the best thing ever!

We took this hotel because all the others were "booked", what we later found out was that Kos Island's hotels and stores are closed six months out of the year. We happened to get there a week before tourist season opened and therefore many night clubs, charter boat cruises, stores, etc. were closed. The tourist season is from May-Oct, so book accordingly. We did like that it wasn't busy though, but only two-three night clubs/bars were open and they open at midnight.

We would stay here again because the location is great. There are other nice hotels near the harbor too. The other five star hotels were located to far for our liking and that would mean paying for a taxi if we wanted to go drinking at night.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Haynpower04

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2010

This review relates to the Hotel & Apartments in Psalidi on outskirts of Kos Town not to be confused with the more expensive Alexandra Hotel in centre of Kos Town.
We booked superior rooms direct via internet on B&B tariff. We opted for this hotel as it was 4 star, was apparently more central and had tv in the rooms [why tv you may ask - I am fair skinned and can't sit in sun all day - I also like to keep in touch with news]. A good test is simply to ask - if I had visited the hotel in advance, would I have booked and paid the extra cost compared to cheaper alternatives ? Answer in this case is no. The 4 star rating should reassuringly be immediately discernible upon arrival - it was not. We arrived at 4am [why are those flights at such awful times ?] and were met with a darkish entrance with a handwritten note stuck on a door inviting us to knock. Other travellers on our transfer bus got a much better welcome at cheaper hotels. The night porter issued our keys and waived us in direction of stairs at far side of the pool area which was barely lit and therefore transit was tricky. We were allocated rooms which included a small kitchen area with dining table. Rooms were fine although by no means luxury.One room had a small balcony and one a terrace. The latter was at rear of hotel and regrettably overlooked untidy scrubland with the odd bin sack or bit of loose rubbish. Disappointing outlook to have to tolerate when visiting a beautiful island. Ironically, the cheaper rooms seemed to be inward looking and had views over the nice pool. Sadly the tvs had only Greek tv despite being pushed as a feature in brochures etc aimed at us Brits - one can only wonder at the honesty of this. Most of the reviews on this site reflect my thoughts particularly regarding the breakfast which was all about cost saving and nothing about pleasing the guests - one overworked and therefore long faced waitress to cater for a lot of people- cheap processed meat and cheese, ordinary bread [no toast - in fact no hot food of any description], cheap fruit salad in sugary juice, mediocre greek yoghurt, over boiled cold eggs, one muesli and one cereal [never varied -always the same old stuff every morning for 14 days solid]. The local cash and carry must do well from this place.The hot water urn produced water which was not hot enough - the tea and coffee was therefore awful.This was a fine example of unimaginative poor quality fare which did not come close to meeting the expectations of the guests. After a few days the extraordinary dullness and repetitiveness of breakfast was overwhelming. The breakfast room was actually quite comical - full of guests with depressed demeanours suggesting 'we only get up for this because we've paid for it'.

The prevailing vibe was that this hotel was adequate and that was their aspiration - nothing more. The staff did not smile much but to be fair were competent. The pool barman was a bright exception as was the asst receptionist. The atmosphere around the pool during the day was unusually quiet - it seemed like a club for introverts - everyone whispering and no banter.The nationality mix was probably 60% Dutch, 30% Brits and 10% others. We had considered the much cheaper [in fact almost half as expensive] Hotel Iris but reviews suggested it was way less central - I was therefore surprised to find that it was in fact next door and on an ad hoc inspection seemed nice and friendly with clean and spacious rooms albeit not as grand. Hotel Iris would be my pick if I visited again.The Alexandra Beach will appeal to some and to their credit we had a stress and trouble free stay.

Eating out in Kos was much more expensive than it used to be and the menus have not evolved with the food the same as we were getting in the early 90's. The Greek tavernas around the hotel were at best average with some disappointing. Kos Town offered some improvement - best by far was the Italian Mezzaluna on the seafront at the Psalidi end of Kos Town - service and quality of food was outstanding although more expensive. It perhaps seemed a little better than it was because of the poor food and service in some of the Tavernas. We were ready to punch the next Greek waiter who waived his hand at us rather rudely and lazely when we arrived at a Taverna and mumbled 'sit anywhere you want' in his half empty establishment. If the Greeks don't up their game quickly and learn that service levels and value for money have generally improved in most locations over the last 20 years then their key tourist industry will suffer. Greece is no longer inexpensive - and therefore the rough edges, as ever evident everywhere, which used to be tolerable as quaint and mildly quirky in formerly cheap Greece, become unacceptable and irritating in the now expensive Greece. 7 euros for an omlette if you picked the wrong place and with the odd cat hovering around the table as an unwelcome extra - sorry - not for me . Weather was glorious but I can get that in many other locations. Greece could be in deep trouble if they don't do something soon to improve the overall offering. Curiously, accommodation costs remain pretty competitive - just avoid eating out and drinking ! Oh - and get those Kos flight times sorted out please .

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank MP23_10
New York City
Reviewed 7 September 2010

In serious need of remodeling. Rooms had old, musty carpets and only one electrical outlet! Best features were central location and free wi-fi.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 6 September 2010

This review is for the Alexandra Beach Hotel & Apartments in Psalidi, not the Alexandra Hotel in Kos Town which a lot of the reviews on this site are mistakenly for the... if you're confused (as I was) before going, then check out this map http://www.travel-to-kos.com/members_images/1354.jpg which will help distinguish the three hotels run by the same company. The hotel is probably about 15 mins walk into Kos Town, there are beach bars and restaurants all along the way. This is a bit far out of town if you want to be where the action is but good for a quiet break. You can also hire bikes which is a great idea as everyone seems to cycle there and there are separate cycle lanes for most part.

We stayed for 8 days at the end of August/Sept 2010 and booked through sunshine.co.uk. The hotel is very clean, tidy, quiet and spacious. I'm not sure if this hotel is 4*, it doesn't really feel 4*, probably a 3*. The reception staff were really helpful and friendly. The WiFi for 1 week was 5 EUR. We were staying B&B and were in a 1-bed apartment which had a separate kitchenette which was well eqipped, the room was super clean and tidy. The aircon (well needed in August) was also free... It has a fairly small pool, but pretty adequate for the number of people staying, also with free lilos and beach toys (water pistols, bat and ball etc.) which was great. The hotel seems to be a top hit with the Dutch who were the majority of guests... I'd say the only lacking part was breakfast which was pretty lame, no hot food at all, some cake and bread (no toast), cheese and ham, cereal... a bit rubbish, but by no means the worst I've had in a hotel.

All in all, the weather was amazing, the people were friendly, the hotel was lovely, brilliant for a holiday in the sun, I'd go back :-)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Yuk70
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We arrived late off the plane to be greeted by the receptionist who demanded our 'reference number', when we gave her all the numbers we had she finally said that we had 10 minutes until breakfast was finished and to hurry up and eat, then we could go to our room. When we got to the 'room' - which was in the words of the receptionist was "very basic" - NOT what we asked for, we found the room to be below par and very dirty. We asked to change rooms which we did at a cost, to find that the new room was just as dirty but had a fridge and some kitchen equipment. When we tried to bring food to the room, we were informed that we were not allowed! Sleep in that hotel was none existant with constant banging of doors and slapping of flip flops resonating throughout the hotel corriders - day and night! Our pleas of silence fell on deaf ears as the receptionist by now was not in the slightest bit interested to what we had asked for as they no had our money. The pool was very small and crowded and the resort the accommodation was in was a 2 mile hike to the nearest town with irregular buses. I seriously would not recommend this holiday as we were very misled by our travel agent - CO-OP who ensured us that we would have a relaxing time.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen007_007
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We went in mid-August, I am 19 years old and this was my first holiday away without my parents so I was a little apprehensive, having watched a program on the BBC a week before about bad european hotels that are supposedly 4*!
I have to say though from the moment I touched down in Kos I couldn't have been happier!
The transfer was fairly efficient, though we were some of the last to be dropped off so it did take us over an hour in the coach, however with us being tired from waking up at 5am we were more than happy to sit in the gorgeous air conditioning whilst watching the breath-taking mountains.
When we got there there were a few added extras to pay for, though in all fairness we didn't really do our research and should have asked beforehand rather than assuming what we had included. The air conditioning was (I think - can't remember exactly!) about 5 euros per day which was well worth it considering the heat at night! Wireless was around the same, and we had to pay for a safe aswell that was downstairs, which was slightly inconvenient though probably safer considering it was in front of reception which was open 24 hours.
I have to say I would definitely recommend an apartment which was what we had, with Thomas Cook this did not cost that much extra considering you get an extra room with a couch, dining table + chairs and a kitchenette with a toaster, sink, hob and kettle aswell as cutlery and a small dinner service.
The breakfast isn't brilliant; fairly basic continental (though I am a fussy eater!), but if you're a fan of cheese, ham and bread and boiled eggs every morning it shouldn't be a problem. If you're not however, this would be where an apartment comes in handy, as you can go to the shop which is literally opposite the hotel and buy a box of cornflakes which isn't expensive.
The pool is lovely too, though I would recommend going to put your towels down on your favourite loungers at about half 9, otherwise you dont really have the choice as to where to have a lounger! The pool is lovely and cleaned daily so no need to worry about a dirty pool.
The maids come in every day from about 9 onwards I think, they are LOVELY, so friendly and cheerful, and every time I came back I found my teddy bear propped up very nicely on my pillows or put in some other cheerful position which I must admit was a nice touch!
The rooms as a result were always clean and tidy, with fresh towels and linen three times a week. We did have a bit of a problem with ants though sometimes, but this is just the country, not the hotel. Just don't leave things on the floor and don't leave crumbs and you won't have a problem!
As to eating, don't go to the restaurant across from the hotel (Garden BBQ?) as although it is fairly nice, 1 starter, 2 mains, 2 small desserts and 3 small soft drinks cost us 47.50 euros! If you can afford it fine, but if you have a budget I wouldn't recommend it!
There is a very nice hotel if you turn left out of the hotel, then turn right onto the coast road, it is the first on the left, something Tavernas it is called, the tables are on the beach with a FANTASTIC view of the sunset and the sea, and there is a very friendly but very hyper waiter who is really nice, and it was definitely the best value for the best quality food, we went back there often throughout our stay!
We didn't however do any excursions, but some people we befriended did and they seemed to enjoy it and had no trouble. We did go into Kos town one time, if you turn right out onto the coast road again and before the Tavernas restaurant there is a bus stop, take the number 1 bus which costs 1 euro each and takes about 5 minutes and comes every 15 minutes. Otherwise taxis cost about 6 euros. Kos town is lovely, with lots of cheap knockoffs that are simply delightful! :)
However if you're looking for golden beaches, Psalidi is purely stony except for the man made ones which charge for loungers. Though we were perfectly happy with the poolside, I think they do do an excursion to one of the most beautiful sandy beaches on the island so there is the option of that.
The rep isn't at the hotel, but they do give you a number for them so they are contactable. Make sure you check your phone before you go abroad as I went with Orange and had no service full stop as I didn't realise you had to add a European package for £2.50!
All in all a fantastic break that was needed and I fully enjoyed; our balcony, although didn't have a sea-view had a fantastic view of the mountains. I would definitely go back again as it was basic and clean, with fantastic and friendly staff everywhere who were more than willing to help you whenever you needed it :)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BeckiBraveheart
montecatini
Reviewed 24 August 2010

It's close to the pedonal part of the village, has good rooms and it's clean and quite cheap

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Psalidi
Niriides Beach Hotel
Hotel Iris
Hotel Iris
#17 of 19 in Psalidi
Michelangelo Resort and Spa

Been to Alexandra Beach Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!