“What a view.........”

Aegean View Aqua Resort
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Psalidi
Reviewed 17 September 2009

We have just returned this morning from the Aegean View after a relaxing last-minute week in the sun.....not sure I would like to pay full brochure price though!

Overall, I would say this hotel is quite good, not quite 4* but I think people need to remember you are in Greece and all of the hotels tend to be of a little lower standard.

We knew the hotel was located a good walk away from town but I would not attempt to walk in to town as I reckon it would take a good hour and taxis everyday would end up costing quite a lot!
We hired a quad bike for the whole week....best thing we did, had brill time nipping to Kos Town and back most days, there's lots to see out of the complex!

Food was ok, very repetitive lots of chips and pasta. Salad and bread choice very good but in all honesty I would not go to Kos all-inclusive as we had a few meals in town and by the marina and the food was amazing there and not too expensive.....well worth eating out and experiencing local foods
Our room was very spacious and the maids came everyday to clean and replace towels, very efficient.......only bad point was when we had a thunderstorm our second night and the water came pouring in our bathroom ceiling and corner of bedroom!! The maid didn't seem suprised when I advised her that there were a load of sopping towels in the bath due to wet floors!! The rain stopped and the room dried up within a few hours.

All the staff that we spoke to were very friendly and helpful, could not fault them at all!

The free boat trip to Pserimos (which actually costs 5 euro) is def worth going on, lovely boat to a gorgeous relaxing beach for a couple of hours!

I think if you are a very fussy person then this place may not be for you as there are a few areas that just need updating but we enjoyed it. I did overhear a few people moaning around the pool but I think you get that everywhere!!
There was quite a lot of families there with small children that weren't bothered about leaving the complex which seemed to suit them.

Our only disappointment was that we couldn't walk in to town at night due to the distance but we just relaxed on the terrace instead which was fine for a week......Kos is definitely worth a visit wherever you stay!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ninared

Reviewed 11 September 2009

Generally a good holiday i your looking to just relax. I travelled with my partner and another couple, All in out late 20's early 30's. View's are amazing, Rooms are comfortable but we were at the top of the complex which is a good walk up hill.

The free bar shuts at 11pm, the you can still buy drinks but have to pay. They only have 1 lager which is Magnus Magister. Local brew which in my opinion was not really up to much. Spirits are about the same but that is to be expected. They did run out of lager on our second night at 10.30pm and refused to put another keg on till the following morning, was not happy about that, especially when just before 11pm I spoke to the grupy bar maid and she said that I could have more drinks but only if I buy! (thought I already had to be fair).

Their is a small shop on the complex which say's it closes at 10pm. Alway's closed early though, usually around 9.30pm.

Entertainment is not up to much. Bingo in 4 languages gets a tad tedious after a while and the music is just cd's on repeat. They did put on a comedy show and a caberet night but going by the first couple of nights entertainment we thought we would give in a miss ond go into Kos town. 8 euro in a cab, Cab prices are advertised in the reception so not fear of being ripped off.

Kos town is a good night out. Bar street is as lively as you can imagine! Good fun!!!!

That night we got back in around 4am, found out the following day that some guest's had complained to reception that we had made lots of noise. (to be honest we were all pretty drunk so were probably louder than normal and we mabe should have respected other's more but this is a holiday, we were letting our hair down and having fun).

We had an overcast day so decided to rent a couple of quad's from the local hire shop. The guy picked us up and got us all sorted out. Was daunting at first, (greek drivers are a bit mad!) but when you get used to it, it is definatly a great way to see more if the island.

If I were to go back to the Agean View, It would be just to sun bath. The food is ok, thier is plenty of choice and you wont starve. Would not reccomend this resort to young groups as it does get boring in the evening, I would thought recommend this resort to family's and couples who just want a quiet holiday.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Spandexrockgod
Reviewed 11 September 2009

We had the worst holiday ever here., apparantley the hotel had a problem with the tour operator Alphrooms that we booked with regarding payment even though we paid for our holiday in May and had the receipts with us the manager would not accept this and kept our credit card as security for payment if alpharooms did not pay while we were there. He made our lives a living hell screaming at us in fromt of others every time he set eyes on us we could not reason with this lunatic he shouted over us all the time it made my youngest son quite ill all the stress that he was causing. We had to leave the hotel 5 days before the end of our holiday started to worry about our safety as this man was so aggressive towards us. Unfortunately alpha rooms we not much help and said they had been paid but did nothing to help us. Total nightmare he did scream to us the brits are nothing but bloody problems also heard he wasnt very nice to other brits. Please if you are thinking of going change hotel, would not wish ithis anyone.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
8  Thank jerseyron
Reviewed 7 September 2009

My husband & I have just returned from the Aegean View where we spent a really lovely week with our two teenage grandchildren (13 & almost 16). We were lucky enough to have stayed in one of the 8 Luxury Family Suites with a private, shared swimming pool, which I am really pleased I booked as this was absolutely brilliant, & very close to all the amenities. The suite had an entrance hall with a settee, & leading from this was the main bedroom, the bathroom & the stairs to the upper bedroom. which had 3 beds (2 of which were pushed together so could be used as a double). There was a decent sized wardrobe (but beware there were hardly any hangers, so take a few with you if you can), a dressing table & air conditioning, for which there was no charge. There was also a small television. The main bedroom had a comfortable king sized bed, enough wardrobe space (but with the same hanger problem), a dressing table, air con. & a larger television, & a safe could be hired for 25 euros non-refundable, (which I did think was a little steep, but a must). There were also sliding doors which led out onto the patio. The bathroom was also a decent size, there was a hairdryer; a shower in the bath, which was also a jacuzzi (although we never actually used this). The patio had a small table & 5 comfortable chairs also an airer for hanging wet items. The only downside to the apartment was there is no handrail on the stairs which are quite steep, & I found them fairly difficult to negotiate, also as others have said, there is no hook on the wall for the shower which is a pity, as this was the only thing that let the bathroom down.
The pool area was really lovely with greenery, & although there were no parasols, there were 4, double bedded areas which were covered to get some shade, & there was a view to die for. We never actually used the main pool, so I cannot comment on this. The reception area was adequate for what was required, & the restaurant was a good size. The view from the apartments further up the hill was magnificient, but there are quite a few steps to negotiate to get to the top, but as others have said, there are buggies to transport you to & fro. We only went up there once to the taverna for the barbeque night which was the only specials night they had when we were there.
Now for the slight downside, the food was definately edible & quite tasty, but we felt there could have been more choice, & a little more variation. Breakfasts were adequate, although a short order chef would have made a welcome change, as we have had this in other A.I. hotels. Our Grandaughter is a vegetarian, & she was never hungry, but I do feel that a few more veggie choices would have been welcomed, & as another reviewer mentioned, the sweet trolly emptied very quickly, & then was replaced with less tasty morsels, I do think it would have been nice to have had a few more choices, also ice cream was not served in the restaurant which I found a bit bizarre, as there were ices to be had from the pool bar. In the evening at the bar, it sometimes depended on who served you, as to the strength of your drinks, (my husband sussed out who made the strongest, & tried to catch him) the young girls seemed to give less, & yes, the alcohol isn't the best, but I think thats fairly normal for A.I. & you can get a couple at a time,& keep going back for more, however, I do agree, it would have been nice if drinks had been free until midnight, but that is a small downside so far as we were concerned.
The ''entertainment'' as everyone has said, was absolutely chronic. The small children were kept amused early in the night, but unfortunately, we adults had to endure worse than amateur performances, & it is a great pity because it wouldn't take much to do something more acceptable. The night before we left the animation team left, & a new team came in. We only saw one of them for a short time on the night we departed, & he appeared to be trying hard to get the adults involved, so who knows, if he is given the resources, he may make a better job of it. Good Luck to him.
Kos Town is only 2K away down the hill, but it was easy enough to get a local bus which stopped at the entrance to the hotel. The only problem was, it started about 10am, until 2pm. then there were no more until 7pm out of Kos, so if you went in through the day, you had to be back before 2, or you had to stay in the town until 7, or get a taxi, which cost 8 euros. The hotel shuttle bus only ran 3 times a day, so that was not really very helpful.
We did not do the boat trips as we were told you had to swim ashore from the boat, & as I am a non swimmer, we decided to give them a miss, but we did easily take a local bus out of Kos Town to Therma Beach where we bathed in the very hot springs. One evening, we went to the mountain village of Zia where we had a lovely meal at the Taverna Oromedon, & watched the sunset, (I have seen better, namely on Santorini), but there was a lovely view. It did cost 46 euros return in a taxi, but it made a nice change, & the food was very reasonably priced.
All in all, we found nothing much to complain about at this hotel. We had read that the owner had a reputation, but the few times we saw him, we didn't hear him raise his voice at all, but he is a very large man, & I expect that he really IS the boss! As is said repeatedly, the staff work very very hard, with long hours, you see the girl from the reception helping in the restaurant, & the barman from the pool/evening bar, tidying up the sunbeds etc. at the end of the day. The girls who clean the rooms seem to be on the go for hours, & I don't expect they are paid well. All the staff that we met were Eastern European on Summer jobs. We found one of the waiters, Raul (from Romania), was always very friendly towards us, as they all were, & the young Romanian girl, Alina, who works behind the serving counters & the kitchen, was always smiling & full of chat, if you go there, say hello to them.
Our grandchildren had a great time, especially with the private pool, & only a short walk to get drinks & ices. As our Granddaughter said, "I have never been on the right side of the fence before" they thought it was brilliant, & as for my husband & I, there were no scrambling for sunbeds, Heaven!!!
I have never been A.I. before where I have not had to wear those stupid wrist bands, but they were not used here, so that too was great.
Give this hotel a try if you are not too fussy, & don't mind being a little remote. I loved it. Enjoy your holiday.

1  Thank Kelper
Reviewed 4 September 2009

We booked our holiday at the very last minute and having read some of the reviews were very dubious about what to expect! But we can only conclude that some people are either very fussy or stayed at a diferent hotel!! we have stayed at all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and felt this compared favourably.
The hotel has amazing views and a slight downside is that it is a bit isolated but the free bus and boat trip make it easy to explore. The rooms are spotless as is the rest of the hotel and the staff are constantly cleaning the public areas. We stayed in room 97- up the hill and with a pool shared with 3 other apartments. In my opinion this is one of the best rooms and the private pool was great if you want to get away from the main pool area.
The food was really nice lots of variety and the salads were delicious. I guess if you were a fussy eater you would be a bit restricted but we did not have one bad meal .The diding room staff work realyl hard and are very friendly.We ate in the taverna twice and found this had a more authentic greek atmosphere.
The drinks were nowhere near as bad as in some reviews. Yes it is not branded soft driks but that is usually the case in AI resorts. The beer does come in small glasses but just get 2 at a time!! The cocktails were a mixed bag with one or two being vile but the rest ok. The house wine was pretty basic but drinkable. At these prices you are not going to get vintage wine!!
I do agree that the entertainmemt was dire- but it added a certain charm to the experience!! Cheesy pop in the junior disco and dreadful sketch shows! However this did not detract from our enjoyment of out holiday.
THe free boat trip is well worth doing. We went twice to the island and the thermal springs. We also hired a car and had a day exploring Kos.
Brits were very much in the minority and most other guests seemed tp be Dutch. They all speak English and were very friendly. We did not feel like the odd ones out!
As for the notorious owner. We did not see him being abusive or rude to any staff or guests during our week .He obviously expects high standards from his staff but was very pleasant on the occasions we saw him. It was nice to be in a small privately run hotel rather than one that is part of a chain.
Overall we had a really great time and I would say ignore the bad reviews- we loved our stay here!!

2  Thank Shorty101
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Right first and foremost, don't take any notice of these bad reviews! Like all holidays they all have there good and bad points but nothing like some of these reviews are making out. We had a party of 13 arrived late saturday night absolutely dreading what we were going to be staying in. The night Manager Mike, is very friendly and helpful, we got given a sandwich and a couple of drinks and then got taken to our rooms by the golf buggy which is provided as the rooms were at the top of the resort. Rooms 110 -117 have their own pool and rooms 102 - 109 also have their own pool there is then another 3 pools in the main resort with sunbeds all around. The rooms are all very clean and cleaned every day. They also provide soft drinks in your fridge, not sure if this is only for the people at the top. The food is very good, we have done several all inclusive holidays and they all vary but everyone (13 - ages from 3 to 46) enjoyed their food every day. With NO stomach upsets, which in my opinion is amazing as normally always someone gets something. All of the staff are very friendly and go out of their way to make sure you stay is a pleasant one, Sylvia, Marius, Max, Gaby, Mike and Mike and the restaurant waiters all making that extra special help to make your stay a good one.
Now for the bad things to expect when staying here:-
Entertainment, we have seen some terrible entertainment, especially in the greek islands but none compares to this, below the belt is an understatment, making sketches about a blind man and a no armed man, is just not funny when not done properly. The childrens disco, they children loved but again could have been so much more.
All Inclusive :- Alcohol - only beer and wine available from the main bar during the day (til 6) and in the restaurant at set times, no spirits as the brochure says Ouzo is available - it isn't. You can get toasted sandwiches and hot dogs and cake from the main bar during the day til 6. Being up in the hills this was the only down fall as we would have to come down to have a beer during the day. But having said that the buggy is available and they never moaned no matter how many trips were made.
The Manager: - he is a very pleasant man, nothing like what these reviews have said, the only time he gets angry are when the staff aren't doing as they have been asked and quite rightly so, however, we only saw this once and having spoken to him, as with us all he is also struggling in the credit crunch and just wants to make sure your stay is a pleasant one.
The only thing I would say is that this place could be sooo much more than it is, maybe there have been cut backs but little things improved/changed would go a long way.

We had a fantastic time with all of our family and didn't have to worry about noise, sun beds, etc etc etc and nothing was too much trouble.

Reviewed 24 August 2009

I have read all the previous reviews for this hotel and i agree with some of them...we had a apartment high up on the mountain which you shared a pool with 8 other apartments which was brilliant because some of the time you had the pool to yourselves and it was away from all the noise etc from the main pools.
We were told when booking the holiday that we would have this type of accomadation, but when we got there they tried to put us in a smaller apartment which didnt have a pool so we complained and with that we only had to stay in smaller place for one night, so we were really happy ....so making abit of fuss does work sometimes :)
Our apartment was very clean plenty of room and air conditioned, there is a hair dryer in bathroom with bath and shower, fresh towels everyday.
We thought the club cars which are golf carts were brilliant they take you back and forth to main hotel area and back to your room, you can ring for a lift from your room which the kids loved, sometimes we did walk it as it isnt that far.
The main pools are nice too 3 pools which are joined by shallow areas, next to this is the bar area and inside is a pool table and internet service,there are lots of comfy sofas in there and have glass doors all way around so you can see the view. The entertainment at night is terrible,when we were there they had music playing through the night then sometimes in between there would be some animation which was awful, they tried but failed. The best thing to do is go down to kos town which you can either get taxi or bus,its good in the town lots people lively and we found our children 13/15 were very welcome in the bars too so they can have a childrens cocktail too :)
lots of shops are open all night and there is a mcdonalds in kos. We hired a jeep for 3 days it was 168 euros which is cheep, go to paradise beach its amazing shallow waters.
The food at the hotel was better than i thought it was gonna be there was a wide range of different food to suit all. The staff are all friendly we warmed to marius the bar man and yami the club car driver, also the owner was friendly and we had a good chat with him. The bad sides to this hotel is that you have to pay for drinks after 11 and the entertainment is awful, just few bits need tweeking like why doesnt the pool bar open as a pool bar and the kids ice cream is served in plastic cups at the bar which is really cheap, also we got told on brochure that the indoor pool was free,when it wasnt, you had to book and pay for it! Its also a hike to and from the town kos and beaches but we got round it by buses and taxis. Definately good idea to hire jeep to see the beautiful island.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Psalidi
Kipriotis Village Resort
Kouros Palace
Kouros Palace
#3 of 16 in Mastichari
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa

Been to Aegean View Aqua Resort? Share your experiences!