See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Stayed with the lovely people at Maistrali in May for 1 week. Found them online, through TripAdvisor, great recommendations, and had a choice of going to Crete where I have travelled many times, or to a new (to me) Greek island, so I chose Zakynthos.
Booked with them online, my main contact was Miltos (although I suspect it was probably the charming Voula who was the main correspondent) Excellent service, speedy responses, really reasonable rates. They arranged a taxi pickup from the airport to the apartments, and I had a ground floor apartment. Literally 10 or so feet from the pool. The place is absolutely charming, it has a contemporary feel, is spotlessly clean and the staff are the absolute biz. I was travelling solo, which I do quite a lot, and always find the days are great, but occasionally dining out alone in the evening can be a bit challenging. You're either ignored because you're hardly going to lorry into the food and drink, or get hit on by every letch going - after all if you're on your own you're obviously up for it.

Oh the joys of staying somewhere like Maistrali! When I arrived the charming Miltos took me to my apartment, introducing me on the way to Brenda and Les (Len? sorry no memory for names), my next door neighbours. I ate in the complex that evening, and was beautifully looked after by the Welsh duo Steve and Jackie. Steve is the uberbarman, knows when you want to chat, when you actually do want to read your book, great service and fancy cocktails. Jackie, runs the food end of the business, again charming, impeccable service, friendly, a fount of information on where to go, shop, swim. The other residents were really welcoming, invited me to join them, not at all offended when on my first night I didn't want to do anything but read, eat and sleep. I joined them on other nights and it was so relaxed, easy talking, some stonking good drinks and even a table quiz one night!

The food was exactly what I wanted, honest to goodness genuine Greek food, the best cuisine on the Med as far as I'm concerned. Prices about the same, or cheaper, than Tsilivi, the nearest town.

Highs - lovely staff, good food, the pool, beautifully laid out, and the other guests were for the most part lovely too, welcoming to a singleton, not pushy, just genuine and fun.

Lows - nearest beach not great (compensation, Tsilivi bus two minutes' walk away, five minutes to beach, fare €1.20), rooms lovely and spacious but bathroom a challenge.

With lows like that, I couldn't recommend the place highly enough. I would definitely go back, if only for the charming owners Miltos and Effie, Voula and Steve and Jackie, and the best moussaka I have ever had!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Gaillimhgirl
Reviewed 5 July 2009

We stayed at the Maistrali from 14th-28th June, we are a group of friends and a couple all aged 21 or 22 and we LOVED our stay, had the best time! ….
… My review might be a little long but a promise to tell you everything you need to know!

We recently returned from our stay at the Maistrali Hotel and apartments. (Which are the same thing although they do come listed separately on a lot of sites). I would say that the “apartments” are nicer that the “hotel” but I don’t think it really makes a difference what you book because you’re just assigned to the room when you get there. Also we found out when we were there that all the rooms are having a re-fit in October so if you’re going in 2010 then they’ll all be lovely!

Location: The Maistrali is located in Tragaki which is a Village about 5min drive from Tsilivi, you could walk it but I think it would take a good 30-45min and its a very up and down hill walk… needless to say we always got a taxi. The taxi is 7euros each way (and always is as it is a set fare). Basically you need to add 98 Euros between you per week. (So it cost us 49euros each for a two week holiday but we only paid £230each for the 2weeks holiday Inc flights). There is not a lot surrounding the hotel but its bliss… tweeting birds in the morning, nice walk to a small pebble beach... and the BEST restaurant just 5min walk.. See below.

Accommodation: The complex is small and beautiful and very well kept on the outside. The pool is lovely; there were always enough sun beds for everyone. There is a snack bar/ restaurant which serves good food, lunch is very good value! The evening meals were nice but the choice was limited and I really don’t see why you would want to say in your hotel every evening anyway... there are so many lovely restaurants around. The rooms themselves are “basic” as everyone says, kept clean but I wouldn’t say immaculate if I’m honest. The bathroom is a it odd... you get a shower base and shower hose and head but no door, curtain or showerhead holder so you have to always hold the shower and you get everything drenched but you get used to it. In one of our rooms the kitchen was a bit of a let down, we had one very small section of worktop with two plugs and one big section with none so we had to balance the kettle on top of the hob (which was also plug in) and was also right next to the sink so there was a bit of a possible electrocution situation!!! But all in all it was a bargain for what we paid.

Travel: All the taxis are based on set fairs.
Maistrali to Tsilivi (centre or beach) - 7 Euros
Airport – Maistrali – 20 Euros for 2 people 30 for 4 (if you email Maistrali from their website they’ll book you one)
Maistrali - Laganas 18 – 20 Euros

Trips: There are lots of island tours to choose from but I really think we chose the best one; it was called “Top cruise” and cost 22euros, which is 4euros more than most of then but we kept hearing complaints from other people about the tours because they were only ½ days etc… we were on the boat from 9-5. The Tsilivi coach gets there fist so we all got the sun beds it was like being first class all the way. You visit the blue caves, smugglers cove/ shipwreck and some other swim stops and it’s a really lovely day out.

Bars: Jokers! All the way, best cocktails only 3euros at happy hour and they are REAL not watered down. Make sure you sit at the bar and you’ll get to meet Kostas and Gregory (and Lorenzo but he doesn’t really talk) and Sam on the door. We went there by chance on the first night and went there for at least one drink every night. They really made you feel welcome and made our holiday really! (They even brought me a present on my birthday).
Also in general I would say that Tsilivi was perfect for us, it had the right balance of bars and restaurants, jokers was classed as a club too but really it was a bar that opened till 5am but more than enough for us! We went to Laganas 1 night and really didn’t like it, constant touts trying to get you in, some not very nice... also all there little pick pocketing kids that kick and punch you as you walk down the main strip (we did find a really nice restaurant though called cool peppers on the beach front).

Restaurants: The best one was “Petrinos Kipos” just a 5 min walk from the Hotel (turn left out of hotel) everything was lovely the setting, the restaurant, staff and food. “Calypso” at the far end of the town was also lovely and amazing value for money.

Notes: You’ll Need Mosquito repellent and creams as some people without it get really badly bitten!

All of would defiantly return

Hannah, Paul, Laura and Phil

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank xjeevesx
Reviewed 29 June 2009

On arrival we were given a warm welcome in reception and show to our apartment which was basic however it was spotless but only to get your head down nothing else the kitchen equipment consisted of a frying pan and two sets of cutlery -it would have been nice to have a bread knife, the studio has air con for a charge which you need to sleep at night. The pool area is is very nice with the pool bar serving drinks and reasonsble priced food - however the staff member who works the early shift 0800- 1600 should be made aware she is getting paid as everything was an effort as though she was doing you a favour !!!! The evening staff Steve & his wife were completly the opposite with nothing to much trouble indeed the would go out of their way to help and certainly a big plus to the complex.
It would also have been nice since we were in Greece if the owner had made the effort to organise a greek night since the complex is very isolated and many holidaymakers were asking about it to false promises.
On a final note the fridge door did not close as the seal was burst and on reporting it was advised it was being replaced at the end of the season!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2009

I visited Maistrali apartments with my sister in Oct 2008. What a wonderful place it was. spotless clean , friendly and homely. Miltos, Efie, Stevie and Jackie were terrific. Nothing was a problem to any of the staff. Evenings were great fun especially Miltos's shots. i would recommend Maistrali to anyone. I am returning for 2 weeks in August this year with my husband Colin. We cant wait . Jan Craig

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank JANETTE15
Reviewed 14 June 2009

We set out to find a relaxing, quiet place to sunbath and do nothing!! We certainly got what we wanted and more staying at the Maistrali Apartments. The place was peaceful clean friendly and safe. The staff were amazing and very helpful. There is nothing bad to say about our week's stay in Zante, well apart from having to come home!!

The apartments are a 5 min bus ride to Tsilivi town. There is an awesome Greek restaurant called the Olde Vineyard about 15 mins walk which is a lovely evening meal over looking the ocean that is worth checking out. Though we ate at the complex snack bar and restaurant for 3 nights and the food was delicious!! There is also evening entertainment which was fun most evenings

In summary excellent ,beautiful place close enough to evening entertainment but set in a tranquil quiet place perfect from getting away from it all. I would not hesitate in returning to the Maistrali Apartments

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends