See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I'm afraid I must begin by disagreeing with the previous (poor) review, accepting that other people are entitled to their opinions. We stayed at the Maistrali (I think at the same time as the previous reviewer) and had a fabulous time.
The apartment was spotless, and cleaned daily by very friendly maids.Bedding and towels were changed every other day-a privilage I have rarely had when self-catering in Greece. The only slight complaint (and really it is nit-picking) is that the pillows were a bit firm! We hired a car for 4 days (and were assisted by the very able and willing young lady on reception, who also helped us arrange our transfer) and found that the apartments' location were pretty much equidistant to most of the island's attractions. We had no experience of the buses.
We only ate at the on-site restaurant once, but found the food to be perfectly acceptable and reasonably priced (for a good sized portion) when compared to the other local outlets. The 'Welsh couple" always said, "Hello" to us, despite us spending the vast majority of time off-site. There are at least 5 tavernas within 500m walking distance and given that there are probably only 8-10 other buildings in the locality there should be no problem getting food. The shop over the road from the apartments is very convenient and seems to get daily deliveries of bread and fruit etc, along with usual tat. Again, very helpful people.
The local beach (approx 500m walk, 100m down a short 1:7 hill) is very small with a mix of sand and pebbles. Halfway down this hill, there is an excellent little restaurant, which is worth a visit for its free (with a meal) ice cream alone.
Zakynthos island was beautiful when you got away from the 'mini-Blackpools' -which was easy enough to do in the car. We swam with turtles from one of the island's beaches...a memory which will last a long time. Returning to Maistrali was always nice, because you knew you would be coming back to a clean, quiet apartment and decent bed. It is not a place for 'party people' who want a 'sunny blackpool' - Laganas, Tsilivi, or Alykes is for you, but for a quiet, comfortable friendly place, with a lovely pool (freshwater, approx 15m), plenty of sun-loungers (we came back pretty much every afternoon around 4.30 as it got too hot on the beaches or in the car), and very helpful staff Maistrali may just fit the bill. And no, I'm not on commission!

Ian and Linda

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AvidTurtler
Reviewed 17 July 2009

If your looking for good hospitality this is the place to come, i felt welcomed as soon as i got there and never looked back all the staff were a credit to the place.The hotel was well organised throughout and the food was exceptional and differant,there is something for everyone on the menu and we did not have one bad meal.The food wasnt a million miles away from British cuisine which appealed to me and it was nice to try something slightly differant.I would also say that the prices are fair basically normal standard prices for wherever you go on holiday abroad averaging seven to eight euros,like i say the food is gaurenteed to be a good standard.
Every night brought us laughs and entertainment at the bar, Steve from cardiff is a legend in our opinion and he made the holiday even more special for us, crackin DJ too! music for everyone throughout the day.I dont think ive seen anyone work as hard as Steve's other half Jackie she ran the show every single night to perfection,always pleasant and presice. In fact these two are simply a great couple to be around they make you feel so relexed and ensure your stay is a good one.All the staff were helpful and always friendly.
We just wanted to relax by the pool on this holiday to recharge and this was a good place to do so,we were lucky to have nice guests with us on thier holidays at the same time who gave us a laugh a minute and we are hoping to meet up again the same time next year....watch out we will be back boyo's !

Thanks for everything

Geraint numero uno

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank BoyoBach1
Reviewed 13 July 2009

I could spend a long time and a lot of words decribing my disappointing time at Maistrali Apartments but know how boring it can be to trawl through wordy reviews so I'll try to be concise.

The owners were aloof and mean spirited but I think this was directly related to the fact that we din't spend money at the complex, as we wanted to experience taditional Greek cuisine and atmosphere - NOT a couple of middle-aged Welch people who didn't seem to like each other much.

The food was average and over-priced and lacked any imagination. Unfortunaely we paid extra to go B&B and wish that we hadn't! This consisted of two slices of cheap white sliced bread which barely saw the toaster, a slice of spam, a slice of wafer-thin rubbery cheese and a pot of "strawberry" jam - yuk! I like a cup of tea with my breakfast but not with uht milk, so I asked if I could have fresh instead, which brings me to my next point - the rude, miserable, unhelpful woman who "served" in the cafeteria (I can't call it a restaurant). She didn't seem to appreciate the fact that we had paid to stay there and indeed had paid extra for breakfast! Once, when I asked if she could toast my bread so that it has some colour, she actually pointed to another table and said that she hoped we realised that WE were MAKING these people wait for their breakfast! They were friends of ours who did NOT mind and wondered why she couldn't pop mine back in the toaster while she cooked theirs - fundamental in a pro kitchen I would say!

A full English is 5.5 euros and that joke they call continental (which is all we were allowed for our £50 a wk extra EACH) is 3 euros. We asked for full English & to pay the £2.50 extra to which she rudely snapped "You must pay full". We tried to explain that we'd already paid with B&B but she was having none of it and was incredibly rude. She was generally slow, lazy and rude so it came as no surprise really. We only asked as it was our last day and were running low on funds and had the rest of the day to go until we left for the airport. Ordinarialy we would make the trip into Tsivili each day (which is gorgeaus by the way) and have lunch on the beach in "The Boathouse" - again - gorgeous! After the rubbish Greek salad the Welch seved up to us on the 1st night, we decided not to eat there again. They soon stopped saying hello when they realised we wouln'tbe spending money there!

Something good to say now. While we were there, we met some really great people, far too many to mention but all we will definately keep in touch with. The pool area was very nice and sun-loungers were plenty, though I'm guessing that this is mainly because, like us, most people didn't hang around much.

The general hygine of the place seemed good and the maids were pleasant and always polite. If the owners, the husband being particularly rude and obnoxious, had been more friendly and that awful woman who worked in the canteen from 8 - 4 wasn't there, Jackie & Steve (The Welch "couple"?) might have been more bareable, though I suspect the food would have remained bland and over-priced.

My freind and I both agreed on day 1 that we love Tsivili and that we would definately go there again but make sure we booked one of the lovely hotels on the beach. Travaki has nothing and is a pain of a trek to do every day and is either time consuming and tiring to walk for 40-50 mins or expensive to taxi at 7 euros each way. If you come back to shower and change, then go back to Tsilive for dinner & night out, it soon adds up to 28 euros a day! We walked some and found restaurants nearer some nights but it put a strain on our spending money as the web-site said it was 0.2 k to the beach but there's nothing there and eveyone we spoke to made the trip into Tsilivi every day. The buses are a joke!

So - Maistrali apartments (never found the illusive hotel), Pretty to look at and clean if not comfortable but the owners and staff - Rude, superior and definately only interested in your euros! What a shame.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank SomersetBlondie
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Stayed with the lovely people at Maistrali in May for 1 week. Found them online, through TripAdvisor, great recommendations, and had a choice of going to Crete where I have travelled many times, or to a new (to me) Greek island, so I chose Zakynthos.
Booked with them online, my main contact was Miltos (although I suspect it was probably the charming Voula who was the main correspondent) Excellent service, speedy responses, really reasonable rates. They arranged a taxi pickup from the airport to the apartments, and I had a ground floor apartment. Literally 10 or so feet from the pool. The place is absolutely charming, it has a contemporary feel, is spotlessly clean and the staff are the absolute biz. I was travelling solo, which I do quite a lot, and always find the days are great, but occasionally dining out alone in the evening can be a bit challenging. You're either ignored because you're hardly going to lorry into the food and drink, or get hit on by every letch going - after all if you're on your own you're obviously up for it.

Oh the joys of staying somewhere like Maistrali! When I arrived the charming Miltos took me to my apartment, introducing me on the way to Brenda and Les (Len? sorry no memory for names), my next door neighbours. I ate in the complex that evening, and was beautifully looked after by the Welsh duo Steve and Jackie. Steve is the uberbarman, knows when you want to chat, when you actually do want to read your book, great service and fancy cocktails. Jackie, runs the food end of the business, again charming, impeccable service, friendly, a fount of information on where to go, shop, swim. The other residents were really welcoming, invited me to join them, not at all offended when on my first night I didn't want to do anything but read, eat and sleep. I joined them on other nights and it was so relaxed, easy talking, some stonking good drinks and even a table quiz one night!

The food was exactly what I wanted, honest to goodness genuine Greek food, the best cuisine on the Med as far as I'm concerned. Prices about the same, or cheaper, than Tsilivi, the nearest town.

Highs - lovely staff, good food, the pool, beautifully laid out, and the other guests were for the most part lovely too, welcoming to a singleton, not pushy, just genuine and fun.

Lows - nearest beach not great (compensation, Tsilivi bus two minutes' walk away, five minutes to beach, fare €1.20), rooms lovely and spacious but bathroom a challenge.

With lows like that, I couldn't recommend the place highly enough. I would definitely go back, if only for the charming owners Miltos and Effie, Voula and Steve and Jackie, and the best moussaka I have ever had!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Gaillimhgirl
Reviewed 5 July 2009

We stayed at the Maistrali from 14th-28th June, we are a group of friends and a couple all aged 21 or 22 and we LOVED our stay, had the best time! ….
… My review might be a little long but a promise to tell you everything you need to know!

We recently returned from our stay at the Maistrali Hotel and apartments. (Which are the same thing although they do come listed separately on a lot of sites). I would say that the “apartments” are nicer that the “hotel” but I don’t think it really makes a difference what you book because you’re just assigned to the room when you get there. Also we found out when we were there that all the rooms are having a re-fit in October so if you’re going in 2010 then they’ll all be lovely!

Location: The Maistrali is located in Tragaki which is a Village about 5min drive from Tsilivi, you could walk it but I think it would take a good 30-45min and its a very up and down hill walk… needless to say we always got a taxi. The taxi is 7euros each way (and always is as it is a set fare). Basically you need to add 98 Euros between you per week. (So it cost us 49euros each for a two week holiday but we only paid £230each for the 2weeks holiday Inc flights). There is not a lot surrounding the hotel but its bliss… tweeting birds in the morning, nice walk to a small pebble beach... and the BEST restaurant just 5min walk.. See below.

Accommodation: The complex is small and beautiful and very well kept on the outside. The pool is lovely; there were always enough sun beds for everyone. There is a snack bar/ restaurant which serves good food, lunch is very good value! The evening meals were nice but the choice was limited and I really don’t see why you would want to say in your hotel every evening anyway... there are so many lovely restaurants around. The rooms themselves are “basic” as everyone says, kept clean but I wouldn’t say immaculate if I’m honest. The bathroom is a it odd... you get a shower base and shower hose and head but no door, curtain or showerhead holder so you have to always hold the shower and you get everything drenched but you get used to it. In one of our rooms the kitchen was a bit of a let down, we had one very small section of worktop with two plugs and one big section with none so we had to balance the kettle on top of the hob (which was also plug in) and was also right next to the sink so there was a bit of a possible electrocution situation!!! But all in all it was a bargain for what we paid.

Travel: All the taxis are based on set fairs.
Maistrali to Tsilivi (centre or beach) - 7 Euros
Airport – Maistrali – 20 Euros for 2 people 30 for 4 (if you email Maistrali from their website they’ll book you one)
Maistrali - Laganas 18 – 20 Euros

Trips: There are lots of island tours to choose from but I really think we chose the best one; it was called “Top cruise” and cost 22euros, which is 4euros more than most of then but we kept hearing complaints from other people about the tours because they were only ½ days etc… we were on the boat from 9-5. The Tsilivi coach gets there fist so we all got the sun beds it was like being first class all the way. You visit the blue caves, smugglers cove/ shipwreck and some other swim stops and it’s a really lovely day out.

Bars: Jokers! All the way, best cocktails only 3euros at happy hour and they are REAL not watered down. Make sure you sit at the bar and you’ll get to meet Kostas and Gregory (and Lorenzo but he doesn’t really talk) and Sam on the door. We went there by chance on the first night and went there for at least one drink every night. They really made you feel welcome and made our holiday really! (They even brought me a present on my birthday).
Also in general I would say that Tsilivi was perfect for us, it had the right balance of bars and restaurants, jokers was classed as a club too but really it was a bar that opened till 5am but more than enough for us! We went to Laganas 1 night and really didn’t like it, constant touts trying to get you in, some not very nice... also all there little pick pocketing kids that kick and punch you as you walk down the main strip (we did find a really nice restaurant though called cool peppers on the beach front).

Restaurants: The best one was “Petrinos Kipos” just a 5 min walk from the Hotel (turn left out of hotel) everything was lovely the setting, the restaurant, staff and food. “Calypso” at the far end of the town was also lovely and amazing value for money.

Notes: You’ll Need Mosquito repellent and creams as some people without it get really badly bitten!

All of would defiantly return

Hannah, Paul, Laura and Phil