“"no ouzo no party"”

Maistrali Apartments
Reviewed 25 September 2009

Have just returned from a glorious 2 weeks at the mistrali in tragaki, the owners Miltos and his wife Effie, Voula in reception and Steve along with his partner Jackie just can't do enough for you. I had heard that they were from Cardiff, but it turned out that they were from the Bridgend area where we live. And to top that my wife knew them from where she and they used to work. This was a bonus, as it made our stay there all the better. The food there is just amazing, as it is all freshly prepared by Miltos,and his staff, and all the produce is localy sourced. You can get 2 meals plus a carafe of wine for 16 euros. Steve and Jackie can remember everyones names, and Steve what you are drinking. Every night is is party night there with the favourite saying " NO OUZO NO PARTY" when Miltos gets the alcohol going. The pool there is kept spotless by Vlad who is also the handyman. When you stay here you are treated as a friend not a geust. When we were leaving the complex was running down as over the winter it is going through a major refit in all the rooms, which sould make next years stay even better than this years. I would
recomend a stay here , as we will be going back.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank homer7409

Reviewed 14 September 2009

This was our third visit and yet again we were not disappointed. What makes this place special is the location, it is so tranquil and the pool is never crowded. the staff are very friendly and Steve and jackie go that extra mile to make your visit special. The banter at the bar was particularly warming,how Steve remembers all our names and what we drink We'll never know!
Our stay this year was just that bit more special by the company in the evenings. If you are reading this Ian,Linda,james,jean Colin and Jan from glasgow thanks for the good times we spent at the bar and yes we are sorry we Welsh beat you on the quiz night , we can play rugby too! If you are reading this let us know if you are going back perhaps we will have a rematch. I know the Maistrali are having renovations done.I hope you don't lose it's special magic and the loyal staff WE will be back!.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2009

Do not go on holiday to these apartments under any misapprehension that you may have made a bad choice - despite the review below! (I think a 'mountain has been made out of a very tiny molehill! - and obviously who upset whom is quite questionable!) I can assure you, you've made a wise decision! We have just returned home after a wonderful holiday at 'Maistrali'.

The Apartments are very simple, very basic and relatively well provided for with kitchen utensils etc (not that we used them much except for a lunchtime omelette one day!) They are however, kept beautifully clean with the maids coming in every day to sweep/mop the floors and empty the bins etc. Linen/Towels were changed on a regular basis - and we even had ours changed the day before we came home! The whole complex is also kept spotlessly clean - the maids sweeping and mopping down absolutely everywhere in the early morning. They all work tremendously hard.

The Staff were all very friendly (well I found them so anyway, contrary to a report lower down the page). Miltos and his Wife, together with Voula at Reception, and Steve and Jackie at the Restaurant in the evening could not do enough for us to ensure that we had a lovely holiday!

The evening meals at the 'Maistrali' were very good, - a wide choice of menu, and always a couple of 'specials' on - and everything reasonably priced. The Tables and chairs were moved out from the Restaurant in the evening to the Pool area which gave a very ambient and enjoyable setting. We ate there on a number of occasions - but also went OUT to dinner on many more - and DID NOT incur the wrath of any member of Staff for having done so!

(For information with regard to the Pool Area - a couple of Germans arrived whilst we were there and of course their 'mentality' ensures they get up at 'stupid-o'clock of a morning to 'reserve' their sun beds for the day. They learned the following day however that there is no reason for doing this - there are plenty available - at whatever time of the day you decide to lie by the Pool)

We did 'Pool' it for a few days, but spent most of our free days on Amboula Beach - the nearest to the complex - and only a five minute leisurely walk to it! There are three Restaurants down there - all very good, each with their 'specials' - an all very reasonably priced too. Try them all - we did.

The Beach area itself is probably about a 1/4 mile long, part sand, part pebbles, and there is a grassed area which is owned by the Amboula Snack Bar where you can hire your umbrella/chairs for six Euros a day.

The Snack Bar is very good for lunch and has a wide-ranging menu too - their sandwiches are lovely - freshly picked tomatoes and aubergines from their little garden adjacent. Very nice!

I will mention it, due to the fact that no one else has on this page. There is a Supermarket, directly across the road from 'Maistrali' aptly named 'Costas' - probably 'Costas Plenty' would be more suitable. I appreciate that this Supermarket is probably only open during the Tourist Season and obviously has to make it's money during that time. We did take coffee and Tea with us, but still spent over £50 there upon our arrival getting 'basics'. (Gold Blend Coffee I noticed was early £6 for a small jar!) But after being charged £2.60 for half a dozen eggs, over £2 for a small sliced loaf, nigh on a pound for a small carton of milk and over £6 for a four-pack beer I decided enough was enough and went into Tsilivi to do out Shopping in one of the many Supermarkets down there. Tsilivi is a 25 minute walk away - which I did on several occasions - or 1.40 Euros on the Bus which seem to run somewhat infrequently or - indeed 7 Euros in the Taxi. In either of those ways, you will save money - 80p for eggs, bread half the price, milk double the amount for the same price and 500mL cans of beer at 50p. Do take note!

We hired a car for a couple of days (30 Euros per day) and wandered the Island which was very pleasant, particularly the North - and had a Boat Trip to the Shipwreck Beach as I suppose the majority of the Visitors to the Island do. (I think that shipwreck must generate thousands upon thousands of Euros a day to the local economy!) Some of the Boat Trips take over three hours each way - we went from Porto Vromi, a little Beach on the North West of the Island - a half hour boat trip to the Wreck, which cost 15 Euros! You do need the car to get to Porto Vromi however!

Apart from that, having the car for a couple of days and wandering around the Island to see the sights, we enjoyed a very restful and peaceful holiday!

Maistrali IS a very pleasant and comfortable place to stay - we enjoyed a wonderful holiday in the Company of some really very nice people who DID want you to enjoy your holiday.

I understand that during this Winter the whole complex is to undergo a complete refurbishment, double beds etc. bathrooms modernised etc. I cannot say enough to recommend these apartments - and if anyone DOES need any information or advice, then please feel free to contact me!

Have a lovely holiday!

1  Thank Vince G
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Hotel just right for peaceful relaxing holiday with good food and excellent staff. The hotel is a good half hour walk into town but we loved it. Walking back roads through Olive Trees is part of Greece.
Beach is about five mins walk and has several tavernas all serving good food and drink.
The bus stop is only 200m away and only 1.40euro to Tsilivi or Zanti. Taxi 7euros one way
Hotel food was excellent and two main meals with wine 15euros. Stuart (the mad Welshman) and Jacky run the bar/restaurant and made us feel at home straight away.
Beautiful Pool maintained by “Vlad the Lad” . Rooms clean and cleaners very friendly as were all
staff.
Other residents mainly Greek but Stuart said Brits stay mainly May June or September October.
When we got home wanted to re pack and go back !

1  Thank Johnworthy
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Well another fantactic holiday to the Maistrali.We would like to thank them all for everything they done for us and we will be back asap.To steve and Jackie, we love you and hope Terry is ok.To the Bonkers gang we say,see you next year.
If you looking for a relaxing holiday,clean rooms(303 best view ever)great owners and staff,clean and big pool(very deep) then you cant to wrong.

1  Thank bonkersLondon
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Well having read the previous review I must totally disagree with them, I have just returned from a 2 week break and had the worst holiday of my life there.

This is the first time staying on Zante with my lovely girlfriend. We choose the Maistrali Apartments Tsvilli because the reviews looked good and pictures too. How wrong we were, I want to clear up some major issues with this place before considering booking here. I’m not trying to sway your decision, but I feel I have some really important things you need to know.
1.Firstly their web site sates that they will book your transfer for you just send them an e-mail and they will meet you at the airport. I did this arrived in Zante morning time and no Taxi, we paid 20 Euros to get to the hotel standard price, to be told the e-mail was picked up but they no longer offer the service, but still advertise this so please don’t rely on them, they couldn’t even be bothered to e-mail me back Thanks!
2.Their attitudes, the place is run by a family, the two parents are horrible people, they never smile, they just want your money, if you buy food out of the hotel they make your holiday very difficult, the daughter is always shrugging her shoulders and every jobs seems like it’s the end of the world, it’s your JOB woman do it!
3.The location is the worst in Tsvilli, it’s the very end hotel on the strip, bear in mind this walk into Tsvilli town, where you need to go every night because the hotel does not offer any entertainment oh except bingo once a week, it will take you 40 minutes walking on dark roads which are very hilly, so you need to get a taxi there and back which is 14 Euros everyday on the price of your holiday.
4.If you decide to get a motorbike get one from Theo Rentals they are in Tsvilli and they offer a motorbike for 10 Euros a day compared with the Maistrali who said they were doing some good prices at 30 Euros a day! And the old hairy owner shouted at me a few times for parking the bike at the front because he was annoyed I got a bike from a different company what ever happened to choice? We didn’t see one person in the hotel who had used them for rentals because of the prices they offer ROBBERS!
5.Entertainment – nonexistent but if you like bingo once a week with some old miserable Greek people stay here.
6.Food – Rubbish if you order a hamburger you get a hamburger, no garnish ect just a frozen burger and a white bun, toast is never toasted and the miserable lady who serves it puts you off your breakfast because of her doom and gloom face and attitude.
7.Self Catering – Very poor utilities one pan which will fit an egg it in and another pan the size of a cauldron, they make you buy your own washing up liquid, towel and scrubber all added costs.
8.Checking out – They make you check out at 10. My flight wasn’t till Monday at 7:30am so we had no hotel room from Sunday at 10 am, the owner said that once you check out you are no longer part of the hotel, he basically doesn’t want to know you.
So all in all we had the terrible holiday never have a wasted so much time and money on a hotel, who make you feel like scum, making us shower next to the pool because they wouldn’t allow us to go up to a friend’s room, I will never return here and be telling people not to book here.

5  Thank King-Kong-uk1
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I'm afraid I must begin by disagreeing with the previous (poor) review, accepting that other people are entitled to their opinions. We stayed at the Maistrali (I think at the same time as the previous reviewer) and had a fabulous time.
The apartment was spotless, and cleaned daily by very friendly maids.Bedding and towels were changed every other day-a privilage I have rarely had when self-catering in Greece. The only slight complaint (and really it is nit-picking) is that the pillows were a bit firm! We hired a car for 4 days (and were assisted by the very able and willing young lady on reception, who also helped us arrange our transfer) and found that the apartments' location were pretty much equidistant to most of the island's attractions. We had no experience of the buses.
We only ate at the on-site restaurant once, but found the food to be perfectly acceptable and reasonably priced (for a good sized portion) when compared to the other local outlets. The 'Welsh couple" always said, "Hello" to us, despite us spending the vast majority of time off-site. There are at least 5 tavernas within 500m walking distance and given that there are probably only 8-10 other buildings in the locality there should be no problem getting food. The shop over the road from the apartments is very convenient and seems to get daily deliveries of bread and fruit etc, along with usual tat. Again, very helpful people.
The local beach (approx 500m walk, 100m down a short 1:7 hill) is very small with a mix of sand and pebbles. Halfway down this hill, there is an excellent little restaurant, which is worth a visit for its free (with a meal) ice cream alone.
Zakynthos island was beautiful when you got away from the 'mini-Blackpools' -which was easy enough to do in the car. We swam with turtles from one of the island's beaches...a memory which will last a long time. Returning to Maistrali was always nice, because you knew you would be coming back to a clean, quiet apartment and decent bed. It is not a place for 'party people' who want a 'sunny blackpool' - Laganas, Tsilivi, or Alykes is for you, but for a quiet, comfortable friendly place, with a lovely pool (freshwater, approx 15m), plenty of sun-loungers (we came back pretty much every afternoon around 4.30 as it got too hot on the beaches or in the car), and very helpful staff Maistrali may just fit the bill. And no, I'm not on commission!

Ian and Linda

2  Thank AvidTurtler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tragaki
Planos Beach Hotel
#6 of 8 in Tragaki
Lofos Soilis
Lofos Soilis
#4 of 8 in Tragaki

Been to Maistrali Apartments? Share your experiences!