Turtle Bay Dive Resort
Agoda.com
Agoda.com
Hotels.com
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewswhale sharksdive resortsardinesaquatic lifepescador islandgrounds are immaculatefishon demandgreat divingwater pressure iskawasan fallssoft coralsair conditioningdiving sitesrental equipmentcebu airportno wifi in the rooms
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

I'll start with the positives:
1. Great snorkeling of the resort.
2. Grounds/foliage is well maintained.
3. Resort's backyard...picturesque!

That's it!!!!!
Negatives:
1. Dishonesty of the owner. I understand that it's owned by a husband and wife. We only corresponded with the husband. I.e. When we booked the hotel, he stated that he would meet our group. He didn't. All communication once they got us in the resort was done thru the front desk manager (niece of the female owner). Even when we left him several messages to call us back for problems encountered. He never called back.

2. Nickel and Dime. This resort has NO beach. I repeat NO beach. So when we requested that the our very large group, who BTW were the only guests at the resort (during our 4 day stay) to bring us to a nearby beach, the OWNER wanted to charge us $20/person. The nearby beach is called White Beach. Entrance there is only 15 pesos (per the internet. this is equivalent to approx $0.40)per person. We decided not to go because we felt it was a rip off!!! At that time, the owner settled for $10 per person including our transportation there. Since most of the group wanted to see a beach, we decided to take the offer.
3. The pool when we visited was GREEN. This trip was booked weeks in advance. The resort did even give our group the courtesy of cleaning the pool. Absolutely no staff near or around the pool area.
4. Our group decided to include bfst and dinner to our reservation. The food was mediocre at best. Mostly fried. In a country full of tropical fruits and fresh vegetables, hardly if any was in our meals.
5. Small rooms and uncomfortable beds.

Calling this a place a resort is a wonderful JOKE. Please do your research before deciding to stay here. I do NOT and can NOT recommend this resort. The only reason why I gave it 2 stars is because of it's location and the wonderful snorkeling. For that, I would stay somewhere else next time!!!

Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank AlohaHana
turtlebaydiveresort, Owner at Turtle Bay Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry that we did not meet in person so that i could handle your complaints on the spot. I do not recall promising to meet your group at the resort and I certainly received no messages from your group about complaints. Clearly you met my wife who is the GM as you mention her in your comments; she is in a position to address all your concerns.

I would like to correct some erroneous statements and comment on your trip to white beach. Firstly the two restaff in reception are NOT related to the owners. Secondly it is IMPOSSIBLE for the lagoon pool to be green as it is cleaned daily and is operated with a chlorinator that gives low levels of chlorine in the water making it easy on the eyes.

The most important point that comes out of your comments is that your were not divers but snorkelers. We are a family of divers and the resort was built specifiably for divers. Divers are interested in the quality of the reefs and the marine life. Seldom does one fine great reefs and great beaches. I would strongly recommend that tourists and snorkelers stay in one of the fine resorts located on white beach.

We offer a wide range of food and styles in our restaurant. There is an abundance of fresh vegetables and fruit - guest merely need to ask. Note I am a vegetarian and so the resort is experienced in preparing vegetarian meals and offering fresh fruit. Note fresh fruit is served with breakfast and is available for most deserts.

On the issue of the cost of the trip to white beach which is a 30 minute drive each way. I wonder what you consider a reasonable price to dive a party of people to the beach, pay for the parking, have the driver wait for hours and then drive you back to the resort. Personally I believe that US$10,00 per person is a fair price. The other alternative is for you to hire a tricycles for your trip and negotiate with the drivers.

I also do not understand the comment about the rooms. Other guests do not have anything negative to say about the size of the rooms and the comfort of the beds - our beds are from an American owned international fine furniture company and the mattress are hotel quality. If you had complaints about the rooms, all that was necessary was to mention it to the GM and we could have transferred to you larger rooms with a king size bed. Note each room has a terrace where guests can sit out in the fresh air and enjoy the grounds ( which you acknowledged are well maintained)

In summary, we clearly advertise the resort as a DIVING resort and not a BEACH resort, so guests should not be surprised that the resort is set up to cater for divers. For travelers who are not divers, I recommend that they stay at a BEACH resort in White Beach. This is what I tell potential guests when they make inquiries

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Resort Accommodation:
The room was simple but very nice and clean room. there's no problem for us how much the cost of each room.
We admired the landscape design of the resort. it is working well with texture & colour and selecting the right
plant for the right place. The herb gardens are practical, yet pleasant to view.

Hotel Service: The front line is an important part of the bottom-line, in both profit and customer satisfaction.
“Service is about people, how they relate to one another, fulfill each other’s needs, and ultimately care for each other.

I suggest and recommend the management of the resort to undergo Hotel training of all staff to be knowledgeable
and well aware of their responsibilities and duties.

Appropriateness of an employee flirting with colleague and a customer/client.

I usually wake-up early in the morning to have my daily exercise walking around the area of the resort.
I saw these two staff flirting each other and have some kissing scene...I ignore it first because i thought they are
couple and used to have some sweet and romantic moments before they start their service or before the guest coming to the
restaurant. On other day, same time and same routine of my daily habit. still the couple doing their romantic scene.
on the afternoon the same day i ask one of the staff of the resort regarding these two couple and i was shocked when i
know that they are not couple and they have thier own husband/wife and kids. on the same day, i ask one of
the staff if the manager is around the area. my purpose is to know them if they are aware and to let them know how guest
turn off this kind of romantic activity inside the resort specially guest on thier own eyes witnessing this
unethical practices. but unfortunately the manager or the Hotel Owner is on the city.

I believe that not only me who discover the flirting of this Wait staff and kitchen staff but also thier co staff as well.

Please take immediate actions of this unethical practices. Thank you

Room Tip: All their rooms are nice and clean.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shawn_archer2000

Thank you so much for your review and feedback. We appreciate your comments about the rooms and resort. One of our two Receptionists is new, although she is well experienced as she came from a 4 star resort in Badian and is still learning all there is to know about the resort.

I was shocked to hear your story about the two staff having romantic alliances. This is something we do not tolerate. Staff have been terminated before for such behavior. We are a Christian family who try to instil Christian ethics in our work place. My wife and I will investigate these allegations today and take the necessary steps to rectify. Our policy is to have good teamwork amongst all staff and we forbid and relationships between employees especially if they are married

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We spent 5 day during Xmas time. The resort is nice, rooms are not very big, but clean.
Food is good and more than enough.
The only problem is the staff: they are all very nice and helpful, but they are not enough to manage the whole resort. So nobody is at the pool bar for hours, during the meal the two or three waitress have to listen to 40 peolple, asking for anything they need and - of course - they can't do evrything, but they couldn't do more!
I think they should call 2/3 more people and everything would be better

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Stayed there for four nights, the room is clean and their staff are warm and helpful. Food was nice and we have grilled seafood dinner on our last day. The dive centre is just next door and our dive master RJ who double up as our guide was great too, we did a total of 9 dive.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I'll try and keep this brief. Stayed at Turtle Bay over New Year. The resort itself is lovely. Well maintained and rooms were fine. We couldn't get poolside rooms, so were in the car park area, but it was quiet and comfortable.
I find it hard to understand why the Turtle Bay gets such amazing reviews though, it must be divers as we were just snorkeling (although a large family we met who did dive were most unimpressed with the place too).
The pool bar is unattended for most of the day and you'll struggle to get a drink whilst sun bathing, the lunches are pretty poor, most food has been cooked in overused oil that desperately needs changing. Staff are most not as fir fly, and happy compared to others we have met in our 3 week trip around the Philippines, with none of them able to make a decision or help us.
There was no safety deposits in our rooms, despite the website saying we would. The manager didn't help things when we spoke to her about it then avoided for the rest of our 4 days stay. The staff were most definitely overworked, one looked as though she was on the verge of tears every day.
The dive shop were unhelpful when we asked them in 3 occasions where ther we could snorkel with the divers, and in the end we went to another resort.
The breakfasts were actually ok and we wouldn't fault the cleanliness of the resort. We just felt as though we were living in someone's house being left to our own devices as they're is little in the way of information when you check in.
In stark contrast, we visited Serena resort at white beach, and that was over and above better that Turtle bay. There were staff on the bar, round the pool and everyone was smiling and attentive, much to what we have come to expect in the Philippines.
We are not moaners, we've loved the Philippines and have posted positive comments in all the other 6 places we stayed during our trip. It was also by far the most expensive we stayed at. It's a shame as it would only really take some small touches to bring turtle bay up to same standard as equivalent accommodation. Needless to say, we were very disappointed.
Also the wi-fi was 100 pesos a day(!) and water was 100 pesos a bottle - we've had it free or at a very small charge elsewhere.
Security is poor, we often found our door keys left on reception in he evening with no one in attendance.

Room Tip: Pool rooms are possible better, but check they have a safety deposit before booking.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tillers74
turtlebaydiveresort, Owner at Turtle Bay Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Thank you for your comments. As you mentioned in your commentary, the resort is really for divers and we have staffed the resort assuming that the majority of guests will be diving during the mornings and afternoons and thus the pool-side bar is not manned at these hours. During peak periods, we a take on casual staff to help as waiters and waitresses - to be frank. the extra staff we used over Christmas and New Year were not up to standard. We do not use these staff anymore and we have taken on more full-time waiters and waitresses.
There are safes in most rooms and for those rooms which do not yet have safes, we offer the use of the office safe. You mention that occasionally you saw room keys left by guests in the reception desk - perhaps these were guest who had checked out. Anyway the resort is extremely safe. Unlike many resort in Cebu, only registered guests are allowed in the resort. We have 24 hour guard service
To set up the resort wide WiFI, we had to invest US$ 5,500 in equipment. We believe that a daily charge of Php 100.00 (US$2.20) is a fair charge for the service.
Guests who choose to take full-board get unlimited drinking water free of charge. IN addition, we provide one bottle of free drinking water per guest in each room.
I do not understand why you were not able to join the divers to go snorkeling although the dive center manager did tell me that on when occasion when you asked, the sea was considered too rough at Pescador Island for snorkelers thus for your own safety we were not able to accommodate you. I do not know the reason on the other occasions Some of the best snorkeling in the area is on the house reef - guest are welcome to jump is off the oat jetty and enjoy the coral , turtles and sea life. I am shocked about the comment on the cooking. We take special care are to ensure that we always use the best and freshest ingredients; we would never use old old for cooking. If you had mentioned this to the waiter or chef, we could have solved your problem on the spot.
I am sorry that you were not able to experience the normal very friendly service that we expect our staff to provide. Our goal is provide the best of Filipino hospitality. We endeavor to hire locals to give hem an employment opportunity - unfortunately not all of them have the necessary skills