“Fantastic !”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Moalboal
Auckland, New Zealand
“Fantastic !”
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Trip Advisor was spot on - it is the best resort in Moalboal.

Pros: Beautiful garden, intimate as small number of rooms so you get to know other guests, yummy food and mango cocktails, very friendly staff, charming new young Dutch managers, the style is not too fancy but a tasteful 'natural' look, Dino the dive manager is fantastic - best dive service we had in Philippines, house reef has fantastic snorkelling

Cons: the resort is small and there is not a lot of dive staff so be organised in booking ahead. Also wifi is bad but they were working on fixing it and all of Philippines was shocking to be fair

We had booked 3 nights at Blue Orchid and then 2 at Serena. Really regretted moving as Blue Orchid is miles superior.
Also didn't regret not being in Pagasama beach as we thought it was a little too full on and very messy
Moalboal was our favourite out of Dumaguete and Panglao

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dikiwi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Nice, France
Reviewed 12 December 2013

After a 3 hours long trip from the airport we finally arrived to The Blue Orchid Resort where the staff greeted us. Ariel the manager walked us to our room while the staff was carrying our luggage. The room was spacious, clear and clean with a sea view terrasse. You could enjoy the sound of the waves anytime. The matress is from excellent quality, rarely slept so well in hotels.
The restaurant is divided in 2 parts: 2 long big wooden tables in front of the kitchen, very canteen like, ideal to meet people and chit chat. But if your need privacy and a romantic dinner, there is a nice area surrounded by golden lights in the center of the garden.
The garden is like a jungle: green everywhere, different types of trees, orchids, there’s even a cockatoo which is the final touch for exotism! The gardens are lightened by bulbs in wine bottles so you have different colors of greens, very original! 2 wooden balconies above the sea: one is the massage area, the other is on display for the guests, order a bottle of wine and watch the sunset for the most romantic moment of your vacations!
The pool is simply gorgeous, shaped like a peanut and partly under the shade of the trees, wooden sunchairs all around it. There are a shallow part and a deeper part.
The staff was efficient and well trained: the housekeeping staff is discreet, our room was always cleaned and refurnished when necessary. The kitchen staff is wonderful, very smily and accomodates your meals as you desire. Aurea, Mannelin and Issa are here to answer all your questions and they gladly book a tricycle for you when you need.
We were here to dive and Dino, the dive master took us every day on diving trip. He’s very secure and professional, lots of fun too! Ask for Cabana dive site: millions of sardines, it’s breathtaking! And Pescador Island. Also don’t miss Oslob and the whalesharks, amazing!
It was an overall wonderful vacation. After travelling in some other places in the Philippines, we were glad to find a well runned resort with a professional staff and manager, we truly had a great time and we’ll keep a warm souvenir of The Blue Orchid Resort!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My wife and i traveled to MoalBoal from Cebu at the end of November (28/29). The drive to Moalboal took a little under 3hrs, straight driving. It was lovely to drive through the mountains after you turn right at Carcar. It's very picturesque.

As for the resort itself, you have most probably selected a trip to Moalbaol to Scuba Dive. So luxury is probably not a priority. That said the Blue Orchid charges luxury prices (we paid 3,200 per night for the standard double). The resort is nestled in a small cove next to White beach. The grounds are pleasant enough, but i couldn't help feeling they are missing some opportunities. Small details like lit pathways at night, not just bulbs hanging from trees in cut off plastic bottles. Better landscaping, the trees should be cut back to really take advantage of the magnificent views, its only really form the Honeymoon suite and top floor Deluxe rooms that you can appreciate the view and so much overgrowth also makes the resort seem dark and moody at times. We stayed in a Standard room, not much to it, king size bed with mosquito net, small table + 1 chair, wardrobe and side table. Pretty much as shown in the website pics. The bathroom i suspect has seen better days and we had small sachets of supermarket bought shampoo when we arrived and a miniature soap, (we had to ask for more shampoo the next day, as this was not replenished). Again small details in the rooms could make it so much more.Pictures on the walls, better lighting, more plug sockets, two chairs inside for the table and two chairs outside for the balcony. It could be such a luxury resort if better attention to detail was taken.I think everything is a little tired now and the rooms would benefit from a paint.

The kitchen staff are great fun, and there dining area consists of two longs tables with benches by the pool or a smaller more intimate area. We chose to eat at the large tables, and the girls are very friendly, and are always laughing and joking with each other. My wife and I both thought the food was good quality. Even if it was a little "mahal". I recommend the grilled prawns...

Wi-Fi is only available on the top floor common area, and a booster for the router would ensure resort wide coverage. Internet access is in high demand these days, and using social media platforms to advertise as a guest where you are, can only help business.

Diving: Previous reviews have made mention of the poor state of the equipment, and as such i took my own (wetsuit, fins,mask etc), but required the BCD, Regulator and tank. These seemed ok, and Dino the resorts Dive Instructor is A+ and very knowledgeable about the local sites. We dived at Pescadora Island the first day, (ask him to show you the Cathedral Cave) and Tonga Point the second day.

I would return to Moalboal to dive in the future, and may well consider the Blue Orchid as my accommodation, but perhaps would decide to look for comparable priced resorts, in view of the negative aspects i have written above.

To close i wanted to thank Ariel, the Resorts Manager for handling all my pre visit inquiries, and to Dino for making my Diving trips memorable.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CDMartinesq
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed for 4 days 3 nights from 1-4 Nov, with our little boy and our room was big and clean, and it comes with a sea view. We were shown by Ariel the beautiful sunset view from the top floor access only via the honeymoon suite room....stunning unblocked view of the ocean and the horizon. To top it all...the weather was perfect.
We were in Moslboal for the diving experience, and we're rewarded with close encounters of thousands of sardines swirling around us, 6 sea turtles...one of them was really an enormous size resting near the bottom of a coral reef....moray eel and gigantic sea fans....the only negative part of the diving trip is no sight of reef sharks....we were told they are usually sighted at 50 meters depth at Pescador Island which is way too deep for us to explore....

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Aijennings
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed at Blue Orchid Resort with my boyfriend for a long weekend (3 nights) and we had a great time.

The property:
- It was smaller than I expected but it’s a beautiful property right by the sea. Feels local and close to nature.
- Room is basic but clean and well-kept. Gorgeous views of the ocean from just outside the room (but the views from the ground floor rooms are obstructed by shrubs)
- Pool is a decent size and a nice addition to a small resort. Refreshing for a midday dip.
- The hotel beach is not really a beach, but rather a sandy, man-made platform. Snorkelling off the resort is good but not exceptional in my opinion. There’s lot of corals and small fish but during high-tide, a lot of junk (coconut shells, tree branches, plastics...) gets washed up the shore. Recommend snorkeling only in low-tide.
- Spacious bathroom with piping hot water.

The diving:
- The dive centre is our highlight; it is very professionally-run. The dive master in charge, Dino, is extremely professional and committed to safety. I had a small problem on my first dive, I informed Dino and for the 2 dives that we did together, he was always checking on my air, staying close to me and making sure that I was ok. I was very impressed and felt very safe in his hands – nowhere else have I seen this level of attention to individual guests! (We’ve been diving all over Asia)
- However, the rental equipment is very worn out and my bf had a leaky regulator, which is something you wouldn’t want to worry about when diving.
- The boat crew was also very nice and ensured the dives went smoothly and took care of all the equipment.
- We did 2 dives in Pescador and Panagsama, which were throughoutly enjoyable and highly recommended.
- Also did the whale shark tour to Oslob, truly unforgettable experience and well worth it! It’s an early start (5AM) and our dive guide didn’t show up. Luckily they were able to find a replacement quickly.

Food & other services
- Excellent food at the restaurant, we loved the choices on the menu and the fresh juices were so delicious!
- Service can be a bit slow when busy so go early or late if you don’t want to wait.
- I’d save the trip to Panasagma and just opt for food at the resort. Personally think it’s better than most of the outside places and no bumpy tricycle ride.
- Massage at the little cabana was excellent and highly recommended (PHP500 for 1 hour!), try it at least once!
- Wifi only at a sitting area which was quite inconvenient. Given there's no TV in the room, I'd have expected to have resort-wide wifi coverage.
- The billing system is slightly haphazard, you don’t sign anything and only get the bill at the end. We kept tabs on our phones and were able to check again the bill (there were small mistakes out of oversight).

Check-out
- It’s a cash only resort which they told us before but I must have forgotten. It wouldn’t hurt to remind and emphasize to each guest again before arrival. We didn’t have enough cash and the ATM in town was broken. At the end we worked something out to settle the balance.

BIG thank you to all the staff for making this place so warm and welcoming, especially Ariel, Dino and all the kitchen staff. It’s a highly affordable place and you definitely get your money’s worth!

Tip: If the honeymoon suite is not occupied, try going up to the balcony on the top floor and enjoy the amazing sunset views.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the second floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sugarplumcici
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2013

A big thank you to Ariel & staff at the Blue Orchid. We stayed for 4 nights last week & were delighted with our stay. We traveled as a family of 4 with 2 children aged 1 and 4. Our children were able to blend with the locals & feel very much at home. The pool was crystal clean & the snorkling was (of course) fabulous! The food was very good & reasonably priced. Don't worry about going into town (Moalboal) to find an eatery. We tried one night & were very disappointed. The whale sharks at Oslob were sensational... don't miss the opportunity if you are in this part of the world. We will return one day...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank WombatJack
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

After a manic week working in Manila, the Blue Orchid was the perfect antidote.

I found the short flight and taxi transfer straightforward and enjoyed the view from the window as we wound through mountains and villages to the other side of the island. I tried not to laugh when the taxi driver tentatively said he thought it wasn't right for my boyfriend to have let his 26yr old girlfriend travel quite so far on her own.

Ariel & Judit were very kind not to tease me too much for doing absolutely nothing during my 5 day stay. In fact they were both very kind full stop - sharing beers and stories. I couldn't be persuaded to dive and enjoyed the peace of the deckchair beside the sea whilst the other guests spent the day out in the water. Saying that, on my first night I was the only guest and it was a complete luxury to feel like the hotel was just for me.

I'm afraid that despite the simple, but clean and spacious room, the comfortable bed, the friendly staff, the massage (in a thunderstorm!), the clear water, stunning snorkelling and peace and quiet, my favourite aspect of my stay was still waking up and strolling to breakfast (rather late) each morning for banana pancakes in the morning sun. Paradise.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Isobel D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moalboal
Tepanee Beach Resort
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Marcosas Cottages Resort

Been to The Blue Orchid Resort? Share your experiences!