The Blue Orchid Resort
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsthe managershoneymoon suitewhite beachkawasan fallsthe ownersardinessteve and michellefishwhale sharksthe kitchen stafflow tideother guestsoverlooking the oceancoral reefscuba divingrooms are largemarine sanctuary
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 February 2011

As far as facilities are concerned, this one does not have much. Pool is tiny, there is NO shore, resort has no generator or a decent bar/restaurant. Food was bad and very ordinary. Service was poor and the manager and owner (2 foreigners) were far from being warm and nice. The only good thing here are the corals w/c you can enjoy while staying in better resorts. When we went there, there was a brownout and we couldn't even wash ourselves prior to leaving, had to grope in the dark while packing up and rooms were hot...water couldn't be sent up the rooms so we had to make do w/ a small hose by the pool! Aircon in our room was busted so they had to bring in a fan w/c didn't help. My friend had the same problem w/ their room. Bathroom was dirty even upon our arrival. They promised to fix us a barbeque near the beach but with only two or three service personnel,you could see it was too much for them. They had to move tables/chairs in their pool area to the beach (as they have very limited tables and chairs -- only 2 long tables!), spoon/fork and other utensils were lacking and food had to be brought in batches. We thought the kids would enjoy their mini zoo but access to it was not good for kids...very sharp rocks and bad stench! Resort wasn't well lit at night. People should be warned since we relied on the reviews at TripAdvisor when we decided on this resort. Sadly, the reviews were inaccurate. We travel a lot and have been to a lot of resorts, this one definitely is not worth our time and money. Upon checking out, manager was quite concerned about us posting the truth in our review, hence, it took me a while before making this. Upon serious thought however, its best for others not to be misled and to enjoy Cebu in the best possible manner..certainly not by staying here!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
15  Thank travelling_lawyer0
Reviewed 6 January 2011

The Philippines had never really come up as a destination for me until recently when a friend recommended I give it go. The Blue Orchid Resort has an odd set of things going for it that I haven't really come across all in one place before - it is an incredibly welcoming place. The staff are really friendly and helpful and lend a family feel to the place just by how they are with eachother - this comes across nicely and gives the place a great atmosphere. The other travellers I met at the resort were all really nice, open and friendly people that seemed to be attracted to the same aspects that I was about the resort. You basically didn't get the usual drunken louts (the other resorts further up the beach had those) and we all spent a fair portion of our chill out time chatting at the tables beside the resort's canteen by the pool. I was also glad that I stayed there over New Years as this resort is well situated to see most of the fireworks displays from the other resorts whilst enjoying al fresco wine and food with all of the other guests. You can come here and not spend a penny until your bill at the end and the bill was less than I expected. It wouldn't be a balanced review if I didn't mention the mosquito's - bring repellent with factor of no less that 50 deet. I would also recommend doing the Kawasan falls trip as its really close and gives you an awesome experience of the Philippines natural environment and some great opportunities to cool off under the falls and taking the plunge at various levels as you head up the mountain side for some cracking views. Diving and snorkelling are on tap everyday and Pescador, Tonga and various other spots were great for seeing tortoises, shoals of sardines and the full spectrum of marine life. I'm told that around March or April is the best time to see dolphins - I'm hopeful I will be able to make a return trip then. Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank MShraga78
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at the Blue Orchid. The staff were very friendly, and the general manager was super nice and helpful. He even took us out for a night on the town. The resort is a bit out of the way, so you're kind of stuck there. There doesn't seem to be much in town either, excpet for a disco that kicks off only once a week. We were lucky enough to come on a Saturday and experience that, but there doesn't seem to be much other nightlife. It wouldn't be for people looking for an action-packed holiday (but it seems like it would be a great place for divers). But if you're looking to relax at a resort in a lovely setting, then it's the perfect choice. The pool was great, and the snorkelling was fantastic. The beach was decent - once the tide went out it tended to be a bit rocky. The rooms were cozy, clean and overlooking the sea. Oh, and they have a resident monkey and keep other wildlife that has been rescued on the grounds.

The only thing is that the Blue Orchid seemed quite pricey. It was the first place we stayed at in the Philippines so we didn't really have anything to compare it to, but when visited Bohol we stayed at a similar place with nicer rooms and better food that was half the price. Maybe Bohol is cheaper than Cebu? Despite that, I still think if you're visiting Moalboal and you're looking for a place to chillout, then the Blue Orchid is your best choice.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank diyab
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We decided to stay at the Blue Orchid due to the reviews on tripadvisor. I think this got our hopes up a bit. The room was huge with great views. It was a great way to get away from everything for awhile. The courtyard is very well done with several caged animals in a nice garden.

Now the downside. This is not really a resort. More like a very fancy B&B. There doesn't seem to be a real reception. Just tables by the kitchen and pool where guests and the staff hangout. Once you are there you are pretty much stuck there. There is not much choice about where you eat. The food is not bad though. The mosquitoes are not your normal ones, these are heavy duty countryside ones. You will need heavy cream as these guys eat you.

Overall, I think this would have been okay if we knew what we were getting when we booked, we didn't. Some of the reviews here seem to embelish the place quite a lot......you draw your own conclusions. May have also been better if the place was sold as a diving spot, not resort and diving spot.

• Stayed: September 2010
4  Thank nlb65
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We arrived at night, woke up the crystal clear waters. Everyone there made the stay special, and took great care of us. We spent many hours lazing around and having loads of laughs. Highly recommend this place!!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends