“Very pleasant”

Magic Island Dive Resort
Nieuwendijk, The Netherlands
“Very pleasant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We have stayed here several times. This resort is beautifully situated on the shore at Moalboal on the island of Cebu. It is small but well maintained, decorated with many flowers, a beautiful pool and an excellent restaurant. Both the (Dutch) owners and the staff are friendly on all fronts. The food is sometimes simple but always delicious, with lots of fresh produce, and both the menu and the daily special offer sufficient possibilities.
The cabins are cozy and the beds are good. However, you sometimes startled awake as the Tokay Geckos make noise at night, but it never lasts long and it's a beautiful sound (we still miss).
The resort is patronized mostly by Dutch guests.
The resort is a great dive. The trips by boat are well organized and the diving is superb. There is also a beautiful house reef.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fedor-and-Rivka

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Finnish first
SF Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Diving, top notch macro with some bigger stuff. This was our first trip to SE Asia so many critters were new to us. When DMs have hand signals for frogfish and ghost pipefish I am very impressed, two critters we had never seen before.

Diving was well managed without being tightly controlled, dive until your air is low. DMs spotted the small stuff all the time, stuff my camera saw better than I did. Fabulous coral. Easy access for snorkeling or night dives on house reef right in front of Magic Island.

Staff is personal, friendly, understands your food and diving interests. We loved the international guests, we were the only Americans for our week. A fine dive bar right in the middle of things, group dinners where you really get a chance to chat with fellow guests. The all inclusive plan is a deal.

Go dive, stay and eat with the folks at Magic Island.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DuaneK
El Nido, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

After reading so many fantastic reviews about Magic Island I was really excited about our stay, but walked away from out stay very disappointed. Like many of the other reviewers I found the diving to be amazing (as it is from every other dive shop on the area) but the accommodation was very basic for the price, the food was ok, and most staff were really lovely. And I have to agree with other reviewers that we also had staff try and push us into the set dinners, and when we decided not to we also were forced to order at 4pm so as not to inconvenience the kitchen. The biggest disappointment for me was the lack of customer service when paying our bill on the last day, as the price we were initially quoted for diving was much higher on our bill. After reminding the manager of her initial quote she responded that it must have been a miscommunication. When I pushed her again to remind her exactly what she had quoted me she eventually very begrudgingly agreed to reduce the cost by P25 per dive (approx USD 0.50). On our bill of USD2500 I unsurprisingly wasn't impressed. For a resort that charges the prices they do I would expect a much higher level of customer service, and am seriously disappointed with my stay there. I would recommend guests who value customer service and value for money to look elsewhere.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Travelbugtime
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Any place I have reviewed before that I gave an excellent to should be downgraded. Magic Island is amazing. Diving is world class. Dive guides were terrific. Gourmet food was beyond plentiful and excellent. I would like to have Fred the chef cook for me all the time. The staff is beyond amazing. They are friendly and knew every person's name in our 18 person group by the end of the first day we were there. I can not say enough good things about Magic Island. Don't go anywhere else!

Room Tip: Sorry--no fitness center
1 Thank ilovetodive
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I recently spent 10 days at Magic Island with a group of divers mostly from Chicago and we had a wonderful time. Our hosts, Desiree and Ari, were wonderful. The staff was extremely attentive to our every need and they all knew all our names by our second day. The rooms are clean and roomy. Everyone has a porch and the views are lovely.

The food was served family style was plentiful and delicious. The head of their dive operations, Jo was wonderful and always accommodating as were all the dive masters. Jo even dived with us a couple of times with her devil horn dive cap. I even did a dive with Desiree. We often got to choose dive sites that we wanted to go back to.

Just so you know Desiree and Ari don't greet you and disappear they're often mingling with their guests. Right now they're building a second resort so while they may not always be around their staff is so wonderful they don't need to be.

If you're expecting a 5 star luxury resort this isn't it. But true dive resorts rarely are and this is a true dive resort. I look forward to returning to the Philippines and check out the new place when it is finished in a couple of years.

Room Tip: The resort is basically cottages. There is one two story cottage, I stayed in the upper cottage. The...
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I just can't say enough about this resort. What a truly wonderful place to take your vacation. The diving is fantastic,the food is fresh, delicious and more then plentiful, but what sets this resort apart is the staff, who know you by your first name the minute that you set foot on the resort property. Weather permitting,dinner is often served ocean side......what a great way to wrap up your day...I will miss this so much. The entire property is 100% safe, clean and beautifully laid out and looks like a tropical paradise. If you're thinking about diving in the Philippines, stop looking and just go here!

Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

From the moment my husband and I arrived at the resort it was just lovely. The staff was incredible and yes they almost immediately know your name. The food is delicious with incredible variety. The bar staff make a variety of delicious tropical drinks. The diving is wonderful and the dive staff very attentive. We were a group of 18 divers with a variety of physical needs, food restrictions and personalities and the staff as well as owners met each and everyone.

Room Tip: The bungalows poolside are away from the bar area and quieter.