Sanctuary Pakbeng Lodge
Villa Sarika(Pakbeng)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
Vanvisa at the falls(Luang Prabang)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmekong riverset menuluang prabangdeluxe roomsone nightslow boatbeautiful viewfrench manageran overnight staycrepesnext morninga wonderful staylaotian stylebalcony overlooking the riverbreakfast boxan excellent restaurantan incredible experience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We have now been at the Lodge for 5 nights and are very satIsfied. Best service, nice room, wonderful view from the room and very tasty dinners. We can recommend this Lodge for all travellors.
Margit and Arne Kastberg , Sweden

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Stanislas F, General Manager at Sanctuary Pakbeng Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Mrs and Mr Arne K,

Again, thank you very much for your 5 nights visit with us. We are delighted all our services where to your expectations. I will share your review with all our team.
We do look forward to see you in the future.

With our best wishes

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I was pretty excited about our stay at the Pakbeng Lodge during our overnight on the way to Luang Prabang. The General Manager met us at the dock and helped us with our bags, so far so good! We stayed in the deluxe room on the top of the hill which, after seeing the location of the "superior rooms", I'd say that is the only option...

Once we got to the top the view was outstanding. Literally one of the prettiest sunset views I have ever seen in my life. It all went a little south from there...

I had heard from friends who had traveled to Laos in the past about how friendly the people are there, the staff at this hotel, however, did not seem happy or friendly at all. I don't know if it's because they are in the middle of nowhere? or because it was freezing? But something seemed really strange.

I decided I wanted to sign up for the $10 massage before dinner because, how could you not? I sat outside my room reading, waiting for the masseuse to come pick me up at 6PM and I see a woman start knocking on my neighbor's door. I go up to her and realize she was in fact looking for me but had gone to the wrong room. I then told her that I wanted to have the massage in a different room, rather than mine (my fiance wanted to take a nap). So she took me to an empty guest room. Once we got in the room she told me to lay down. I asked if she had an outfit for me to change into and she indicated that I was just to wear the clothes I was wearing. Luckily I was wearing something comfortable, but if I had been in jeans that would have been an uncomfortable massage...She then started the massage which was pretty terrible. It was like she went through the motions but didn't do anything. I was literally counting down the minutes until it was done. The worst part was when i was on my back and the lights were blaring in my eyes. She could have at least put a towel over them. Finally she was done (in 45 minutes rather than the hour I paid for) but I was definitely glad for it to be over. Then after I got up, she straightened the sheets and re-fluffed the pillows as if making the room ready for a guest to stay in even though I had just been in the bed.

As the other reviewers noted, dinner was fine, not that great. Breakfast was better, but you cant really mess up a crepe and fruit! The staff were again very strange the next day when I tried to pay my bill with a credit card. I figured for a hotel of this price that using a credit card should not have been such an ordeal.

Overall, the view was beautiful but the hotel definitely did not live up to the price. I'm not sure what is going on there but the staff seem really unhappy...I would not return and would not recommend this hotel to others. Maybe you can stay in town but come to the hotel for a sunset drink? Then you would experience everything spectacular that the hotel has to offer.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in a Deluxe room on the hill

Dear Mr, Mrs Ariel M,

Thank you very much for your stay at the Pakbeng Lodge. We are very sorry your experience with the Massage was not satisfactory, I do apologise.
You stay with us was during some exceptionally cold weather for the region. We did take some steps after your stay, we put some fire heater near all the tables at the restaurant.
We do thank you for your visit and we wish you a happy new year 2014

With our best wishes,

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We had high hopes for this hotel and was left disappointed. Upon our arrival we found that there was no clear reception but the bar in the restaurant doubled up as a check in desk - this made for a disorganised check in process. The staff were unfriendly and disorganised. Later on when i wanted to order tea, the staff did not want to be disturbed from their dinner even though they were sitting behind the bar/ reception desk. Once in our room, whilst it was stylish it lacked basic facilities - there was no kettle, hairdrier, phone or fridge. There was no separate bathroom area but the shower and sink were in a corner of the bedroom.

Dinner and breakfast was included in the room rate but the food was only average. Inoffensive but nothing to write home about. In such a setting, and a pretentious resort, I would expect better. The evening meal was a set menu with no menu - no one could tell us what the dishes were that we were about to eat. Also it was very cold when we were there and there was no option to eat inside. I ate dinner in a hat and gloves! At breakfast there was no buffet, but you could order a hot dish on request. Coffee was difficult to come by. We would have preferred to go to a restaurant in the town for both meals.

On a positive note, the rooms were extremely stylish and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in.There is no denying that the view from the restaurant and the balconies is stunning and the whole place has an atmosphere of peace and tranquility.

This hotel has potential but failed to deliver the standard we expected for the price. There are better value options in the town.

Dear Mr, Mrs Fjm4,

We are sincerely regretful that you did not find the Pakbeng Lodge up to your standards. We do try to please all of our guests. For example, to facilitate the check in, we do not require a passport or for the guest to fill up a registration card.
We do thank you for your visit and we wish you a happy new year 2014

With our best wishes,

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Pakbeng lodge is an ok place to spend a night on the way to luang prabang. We had a nice dinner in the restaurant and enjoyed the great views on the mekong. For the price (75 usd) the room was just ok and the breakfast was really poor. I thought that it was unfair that we booked the best rooms through Booking.com and that on arrival these were not available (we would have chosen another accomodation, but what can you do at 8:00 PM and drenched by the walk in the rain from the pier?). Also, no pick-up at the boat and extra charge for the taxi back to the pier.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Stanislas F, General Manager at Sanctuary Pakbeng Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Mr, Mrs Anak 789,

Thank you very much for your positive review on trip advisor even so your stay with us was less than perfect.
First I apologize for not picking you up at the boat pier, especially under the cold rain of December.
Your reservation was was made the previous day and we did not let you know that the Deluxe rooms where under renovation. I did leave a note to give you a refund, unfortunately my assistant did not follow up. I will contact you directly to make the arrangements.
The breakfast we serve includes Coffee or Tea, pancakes, homemade toast, jam & butter, choice of eggs with bacon, fresh fruit juice and fruit salad all served at the table. I apologizes if some of these items where missing.
For the transfer from and to the pier, we do have our own transport without extra charge to the guest. Again, our apologies.

As you can see from other reviewers, we do try our best to accommodate our guest with a certain comfort and service.

With our best regards, from the team of the Pakbeng Lodge

Reviewed 18 December 2013

The was an overnight stay to break up the boat trip from Lunag Prabang to Houey Xay on our way to Chinag Mai. After leaving it to the last minute (ie the night before) we chose this hotel as a bit of an easy option to book via the internet. We were not really expecting too much but were pleasantly surprised. The boat dropped us off at the hotels jetty and we made our way to the deluxe room, which was high on the hill overlooking the Mekong; to get there you go by the hotels tuk tuk. The hotel has a slightly unusual layout with a number of buildings on the side of a hill and it wasn't immediately obvious how you actually got back to the the main bar and reception at the waters edge by foot, but I'm sure it's very possible! The room was nice, an interesting design with the bed in the middle of the room. The bar is close to the waters edge and would have been nice to visit if we weren't so sleepy! The hotel itself is on the edge of Pakbeng, it's less than five minutes walk into the small centre where there are lots of options for dinner/drinks etc. We ate at the hotel as our rate unexpectedly included dinner, which was pretty good. The next morning they gave us breakfast in a bag to eat on the boat and the tuk tuk dropped us off at the ferry pier. A good stay, a good experience, we were happy and we might have stayed an extra night to explore if we could.

Room Tip: Deluxe and suite rooms are high on the hill, but if you are doing an overnight for the boat it will be dark most of the time so you will only benefit from the view for about an hour.