“Never again!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 13 Cong B&B and Inns
Monaghan, Ireland
“Never again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I booked Ashford haven through booking.com, at the rate of €65 for b&b, I had spoken to anne on the phone to let her know what time we would be arriving. When we arrived, we were shown to our room which was clean and spacious, owner seemed awkward and uncomfortable in his role as host. He then informed us that breakfast would be extra, 7
50 for irish breakfast! I was shocked! He then informed us that he only took cash not credit card, which was fine with me but I'm sure the majority of guests would have been paying by card! In all the b&b's I have stayed in over the years, I have never heard the likes! Breakfast was a bit miserable, 1 slice of bacon, 1 egg and 2 sausages, minimum effort! Sorry but if you open a b&b then u should put your heart into it, & its the little touches that make u memorable and make people come back! I certainly won't be back!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cakequeenie

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I booked our room for 2 nights, 8 weeks in advance for a wedding in the area. I was rung the afternoon I was to arrive, to be told there was a 'problem' with my room and that they had booked us into another B&B, of course they didn't bother to mention that we had only been booked in for 1 night at the new B&B and were going to be left high and dry for our second night as most places in the area were booked out- in fact we could not get through to Ashford Haven after that. Having asked around in the village, it seems that they have a reputation for this type of behaviour. In fact, another friend of mine had a similar thing happen the following day, he turned up at 6pm to be told they had given away his room as he hadn't turned up- he was standing on their doorstep at the time! I realise the photos of the building look nice but really, do not bother.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Alan C

Travellers are raving about these Cong hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I booked to stay in this B and B on July the 7th 2014 for today July the 23rd 2014. The advertising states Pet friendly and "on request". Our booking was cancelled on the day we were due to travel. Upon ringing the number shown, I was answered by a haughty woman who rudely and loudly spoke " at" me that I DEMANDED the dog stay while in the same breath saying I did not inform them I had a dog ???? That she had been trying to ring me for last 2 days' ? (Booking was made 16 (SIXTEEN DAYS AGO) She went on to state she couldnt have her house over run with dogs ? Ah well, Ireland is in a recession, there are plenty of excellent accommodation facilites' only too willing to avail of the spending power of frequent travellers and their dog which has notched up quite a few hotel stays' in the past 10 years'. A most well travelled dog is Jessie. By the way the temperatures in Ireland today are in the fabulous high twenties with scorching sun....and this absolute idiot even had the gall to ring me back and say I could stay and leave the dog in the car ???????? Is it a B and B or a lunatic asylum ?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Teresa S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I had booked to stay in this B+B two months in advance of my trip. After a long day travelling I was really looking forward to arriving at our final destination for the evening. We arrived and entered the property and spent several awkward minutes trying to find someone...only to be told they had no record of our booking (despite a confirmation email and having PAID a deposit, and having tried to call to confirm to no avail!!!!!) with no real apology or explanation, we were just told to find somewhere else, that we would probably find somewhere else...incredibly unprofessional and rude in delivery!! Really would not recommend...too unorganised!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Anna H
cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here with another couple in May. We were attending a wedding in Ashford Castle. The place is spotless and nicely maintained. It is not luxury. If you want luxury, then you must pay luxury prices. At a rate of EUR65 or EUR70 for a double or twin room, I think people that complain about little details are pathetic. The house is really nice. These people are trying their best. If you ask for a fried breakfast in the morning, then expect to get a breakfast that is cooked in oil. I don't know any other way to cook a fry! Some of the comments by previous reviewers are pretty sad. They must be very spoilt individuals.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I wanted to confirm my booking the week I was due to arrive so I rang the landline phone number on the website but got an engaged tone for days, having read the previous persons comment about ringing her mobile and being given out to I decided not to so sent an email to their web address provided. No response! It's only a small thing but slightly strange that this is their business and they are completely uncontactable!

Anyway the house is beautiful and very clean with ample car parking outside.

The breakfast wasn't great, greasy and not very well cooked. Also the breakfast was between 07.45am and 08.30am - the first time i've ever come across this! So avoid if you're hoping for a lie in!!

Room Tip: Both rooms I saw were lovely and spacious.