“stay away from this place”
Review of Danaghers Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cong
Danaghers Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Cong B&B and Inns
Londonderry N Ireland
“stay away from this place”
Reviewed 28 August 2011

my family went here on saturday August 26 just for a drink. As soon as we saw the interior we were about to leave There were dozens of dirty glasses on the bar counter tables had not been cleared of dirty dinner plates and glasses our 7year old son had seen the dinner menu advertised outside and wanted a plain burger priced at 5 euro so we decided to stay as we couldn't see anywhere else selling food. My husband got a table with our 2 children while i went to the bar. After 5 to 10 mins waiting I was finally served by the owner He tried to charge me 10 euro for the burger but when I pointed out it was advertised at 5 euro he just grunted and took my money. As he was serving my drinks I tried to tell him where we were sitting as the bar was pretty packed,he very ignorantly shouted that i would have to wait for the food and I wasn't in Mc Donalds.The man obviously tried to embarass me in front of his regular customers who were sitting at the bar but only managed to embarrass HIMSELF as his crude comments were over heard by other customers who were visiting his establishment, like me, that day. They, like me, thought his comments were indefensible and again like myself, reiterated that manners don't cost a penny. This proprietor was certainly lacking manners, friendliness and all the other hallmarks that normally make Cong such a pleasant place to visit. I will continue to visit Cong, for its scenery and normal hospitality, but will never frequent Danaghers Hotel again. As a last insight into the quality or should I say lack of a quality experience, when my son's burger eventually arrived, it was dressed, when we had ordered it plain. We again had to wait another 10 mins after this. What was also shocking was the fact the proprietor didn't seem to care that he had lost our family as paying customers in the future and not only that,but any customer he may have received if we had recommended his hotel to our friends. This is something we would never do of course, and it is strange his attitude was like this given Ireland is in the middle of a recession. Maybe he is one of the few business men who can afford to lose customers during a recession.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Paul_2004

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed 18 October 2010

This is the worst place myself and my friends have ever stayed, Its not a hotel its a run down B&B with filthy beds, old worn out rooms, a wasps nest outside the window of room number 7 and a bathroom that looks like a blind man tiled it. Along with that the staff (apart from the 2 ladies) were rude and nearly started a fight with my party because we wouldnt buy them a drink after hours. The owner was serving behind the bar on thursday night cursing everyone who walked past him. It says here i have to rate it as terrible, believe me if i could i wouldnt rate it at all, You have been warned

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fargoboyle
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 August 2010

genuine crack and friendly staff , food quality and good value, terry and bernie, dun laoghaire

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank terrycarp
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 October 2009

We stopped in Cong, looked around, and thought Danagher's looked like a good spot. How right we were! Although we were there over Good Friday when most of the town shut down, but they made us feel right at home. The room was older and not fancy, but clean with a larger bathroom. The pub downstairs was everything you'd look for in a small town Irish spot - locals playing music, cozy fire in the fireplace, good food, and plenty of cold beer. Nice to be in a small hotel where the 11 year old can go to sleep and we can listen to music downstairs. Location was great, and the room looked out over the Abbey. Breakfast in their restaurant was full on cooked to order Irish breakfast. When we are in Cong again, we'll be back.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank ScottD223
East Neuk of Fife
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Cong was made famouus by the movie 'The Quiet Man' but there is far more to it than that. The town and the area are quite exceptional and well worth longer than the one day we were there. Equally Danaghers Hotel, where every aspect of our stay was a good experience.
The spacious clean room was very adequately furnished and full of character. The king size bed was very comfortable, and the en-suite facilities were fine.
We ate in the bar, with its log fire, in the evening. A superb T-bone steak for myself and a wonderful traditional Irish dish of bacon and cabbage for my wife.
Later, a very talented trio of local musicians played and sang traditional music, and other locals would contribute their own speciality whilst we drank possibly the best pint of Guinness we had ever tasted. A most enjoyable evening!
Breakfast in the dining room reached the high standard we had come to expect during our time in Ireland. Both delicious and enough to keep you going all day.
We hope to stay here again, but for longer next time.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Deejaypea
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Reviewed 5 November 2008

We arrvived without a reservation, and were greeted with friendliness and hospitality. The room was quite comfortable and clean, and they provided a portable electric heater, to be used if further heat was needed(it can be quite cold in Ireland in October). Danagher's also has their own pub, which is very popular, and quite friendly. Food can also be provided(pub food is the best anyway)and is quite tasty. One of the owners tends the bar in the evenings, and his wife takes care of the breakfasts in the mowning. These are some of the friendliest people we've met in Ireland(after many trips there). The location is perfect(the back road to Ashford Castle is nearby and worth going to see). The "Quiet Man Museum" is just up the street and around the corner(also remember, nothing is very far away, because it is a small town/village with a population of approximately 150). If you want to meet the real Irish people, this would be a place to go.

• Liked — location, friendliness of staff, value
  • Disliked — nothing, we would stay there again in a heartbeat
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple