“Homely, comfortable and peaceful!”
Review of Ryan's River Lodge

and 1 more site!
Ryan's River Lodge
Ranked #3 of 13 Cong B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Homely, comfortable and peaceful!”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I stayed at Ryan's River Lodge for two nights in April 2013. It's fabulously located on the river in the heart of Cong and within comfortable walking distance of the stunning Ashford Castle. It is also a short drive from Lisloughrey Lodge where I was attending a wedding. All in all, Ryan's provided the perfect place for me to feel settled during my trip. Martha and her family have kept the original character and decor which adds to the homely feel. I had everything I needed during my stay including a fabulous breakfast! My room had everything I expected and it was absolutely spotlessly clean but the bed was probably the piece de resistance for me. The mattress was so comfortable and had TWO duvets AND an electric blanket! Coupled with a well heated room, I had two very cosy nights of uninterrputed sleep! Thank you Martha for your hospitality and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this great value B&B to anyone looking to spend time in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Ryan's River Lodge was just what I wanted while visiting Cong, the place where "The Quiet Man" was filmed. The thatched-roof cottage look is warm and inviting, and the interior is likewise. The cottage style rooms were cozy, yet spacious, with sumptuous bedding and window coverings. I especially enjoyed our large window with small panes overlooking the river. Although the bathroom portion of the the room is somewhat small, it met our needs, and everything worked well with no problems.

I like how this two-story B&B is arranged with the front part of the building devoted to the B&B and the private quarters to the rear. The ground floor houses the office, the breakfast room, and a very welcoming and comfortable sitting room where Marta served us tea and sweets upon our arrival. Breakfast was another treat with everything prepared to our liking.

Marta, her husband, David, and two young sons, and David's mother were most welcoming and helpful. Although we had not arranged a fishing trip beforehand, David, who is one of the local fishing guides, arranged a half-day of fishing for our husbands (we were 3 couples traveling together). And the ladies were quick to answer our questions and provide directions and shortcuts for outings.

Although it's easy to walk throughout the town of Cong, Ryan's is most convenient and but a minute (or less) from Danagher's Pub, the Cong Abbey, the Monk's Fishing House, and the bridge that crosses the river to a forest path leading to Ashford Castle.

We went to Cong for "The Quiet Man" but found so much more. Ryan's River Lodge was one of the delightful surprises.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marmar6
Belfast
Reviewed 16 September 2012

What a great b&b, friendly accommodating staff and a great place to stay. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and well presented. Breakfast was lovely and overall it was great value for money.
We made use of the complimentary wifi.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Geoff P
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Martha and David provide a great breakfast with REAL Coffee; fresh chocolate chip scones, (plus cook-to-order Irish Breakfast). With a view of the Salmon Hatchery/ and River rushing by, you wake to a great morning in Cong. They are excellent at telling you about undiscovered trails, hikes to Ashford Castle and other sights in the area. Comfy bed, plenty of light and flexible to provide check-in and breakfast for what's good for your travel schedule. Offered to use their personal computer and do whatever they could to make you feel right at home!

Room Tip: We liked the back room with King Bed, it was quiet and off the street. Could still hear the river wh...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We arrived in Cong about two hours earlier than anticipated but after official check-in time. We were welcomed and put our bags in our rooms.

As there were four of us (two children ages 7 and 11) we had separate rooms but across the hall from each other. One looked onto the river and the small road. The other looked onto the back building and small side street. Both bathroom windows looked out at "the dying man's cottage". If you are a fan of The Quiet Man, you know what I mean.

We explored Cong in about two hours. The next day, we drove to Lenaun (Le Nain), Kyelmoore Abbey, Clifden and back again. I bet that would be beautiful in the sun!

We found dinner at the Crow's Nest Pub in Cong to be wonderful. They had pizza for the kids and my husband and I enjoyed the grown up food. One dish, the bacon shank with cabbage and potatoes, was terrific.

Breakfast was served about 8:30 by the owners daughter-in-law. She made us welcome and cooked whatever we asked for. Also available were cereals and scones and such.

The rooms were nicely decorated and the bathrooms were ok. The type of shower systems didn't provide a strong spray but the water was always hot.

Keeping the kids quiet was a challenge for us but we didn't want to disturb the other guests. In the mornings, we were able to make use of the tv room downstairs until breakfast was served.

If you love The Quiet Man and want a quaint place to stay, this is it. There is a surprising amount of large truck traffic on the little road. If you sleep with the windows open, it might disturb you. However, with the windows open, you can hear the river.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dansmom4
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We came across Ryan's River Lodge by chance while looking to find somewhere to stay in Cong and we were glad that we did. Our room was large and comfortable and breakfast was excellent. We would stay here again if in the area.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
walsall
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I read a review on this bed and breakfast that amazed me - How can people be so vicious.
This is simply a wonderful Irish experience. The staff are friendly, cheerful and friendly. Its not a fives tar hotel and if you want that experience go somewhere else.
Ryans Lodge is the real Irish cottage experience. The breakfast is fresh and plentiful and coffee / tea a a tonic to help even the late night singer wake up to a bright new day with vigour.
In the ten years I have been to Ryan's River Lodge the welcome has always been warm and typically Irish.
The sound of the river gushing past the window literally on the other side of the road would sooth the mind and lull you to sleep with its melody.
How these guests could complain of noise from pipes in the night beats me. I could only hear the river nursing me to sleep.
Personally I would have no problem recommending this country bed and breakfast to anyone. I would suggest the lady had had a bad day - perhaps she had a bad year . Maybe some people just like to rant without a moments thought for others who might miss out on a great village, full of song and character and history.
Cong is a magical place-
Go there and enjoy
Dr Paul Moore
The rooms are pure Irish, Sure the showers are

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dennis0558
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
Ashford Castle
#11 of 13 in Cong
Hazel Grove B&B
Hazel Grove B&B
#2 of 13 in Cong

Been to Ryan's River Lodge? Share your experiences!