“A great break from a very busy life made extra special in Ryans River Lodge!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ryan's River Lodge

and 1 more site!
Ryan's River Lodge
Ranked #3 of 13 Cong B&B and Inns
“A great break from a very busy life made extra special in Ryans River Lodge!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

Had a great few nights at this fab B&B! We were in need of a break as a full holiday was not an option this year! The River Lodge is a very welcoming place. The manager there made us feel at home straight away! It wad refreshing to stay in a homely environment, great views of the river from a very comfy room. The b&b is spotless. There is also a cafe do we had lunch there one day and the food was delicious! The breakfast was great! My husband caught his first Salmon on the river which was such a highlight! David and Martha Ryan pointed us in the direction of all there is to see and do! We had lovely walks in the forest near Ashford, which is amazing! We will definately be going back soon, hopefully for a spring break!! Highly reccommend this great place to anyone looking for a break from a busy life!!

• Stayed August 2010
4 Thank Juicy3

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
South Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2010

We fell in love with the place immediately, partly because of the warm welcome we received rfrom Martha and David, our hosts. The surroundings of Cong are unique (The Quiet Man with John Wayne was filmed there in the 1950's), and walks in the vast forests of Ashford castle and the abbey were such a joy.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dingledangledongle
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2010

My Husband and I discovered Ryans River Lodge B&B when we were driving through the village and decided to stop for a coffee in River Cafe which is located on the ground floor of River Lodge. We then decided to have lunch as the menu looked great the staff were amazing so welcoming and friendly. We were both blown away with the food. It was the best lunch we had during our stay in Ireland!!!! The B&B and Cafe are family owned and run which makes all the difference. The proprietor chatted to us about the attractions of Cong. We had no idea Cong had so much to offer so we decided to stay for 2 nights. My husband totally fell in love with River Lodge. The B&B overlooks the river and has always been a fishing and shooting lodge. My husband loves fishing and shooting and was in awe with the pictures of various fishermen showing their big catch, stuffed fish, stuffed birds, old rods etc. and the fact that he had so much to talk about with the Ryans themselves. They were so friendly and accomodating we will definately be back. Its a fantastic idea having the cafe there also. You can smell the baking coming from the kitchen when you come down the stairs in the morning The brown bread and scones are delicious!!! I went horseriding while my husband went fishing, We took a boat cruise which was just so beautiful. we visited the quiet man cottage and had some of the most amazing walks around the grounds of Ashford castle. Visit www.congtourism.com for information and attractions of Cong. It's well worth a look before you arrive so you can plan ahead.
My husband is already planning his return with a group of friends during the shooting season as David, the proprietor offers shooting packages. All the information is available on their website www.ryansriverlodge.com so if you are keen on fishing or shooting this is the place for you. My husband called it "Home Away From Home"

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NYYankeesB
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2009

My husband and I just returned from a weekend break in Cong Co.Mayo. We reviewed the B&B online and booked in advance of our stay. From the time we arrived we were very pleased with all aspects of our stay. Our room was spacious with a pleasing quirky decor overlooking the river. The lodge appears to be a family run business and each interaction with the staff we were treated courteously and every attempt was made to meet our needs. The land lady in particular was very attentive and personable. She could not have been more helpful when asked about places of interest to visit and the best scenic routes to take. This definetely did not dissapoint - the most beautiful scenery in the world!
In Summary - Welcome: warm and genuine. Room: clean, spacious and wonderful view. Cost: very reasonable for all that was offered.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dobster_9
Tipperary, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

The business is River Lodge Bed & Breakfast in Cong, Co Mayo. After reading the write up supplied on the web site we were happy to book this Bed and Breakfast as it sounded very nice and also it was in the centre of Cong. I spoke directly to the land lady and all seemed to be organised.
Just to let you know I booked a few days ahead to make sure there would be something for me to eat at breakfast, as i don't eat red meat or eggs. I always do this so the people running the bed and breakfast will be able to facilitate me.
We arrived about 16.30pm on Sunday 6th August. We said we had a reservation for the night. We had a very abrupt response from the land lady all she said was "Name" not your welcome or anything like that. We do not expect people to fall over us, but a welcome would have been nice. She brought us up to the bedroom and said breakfast was at 09.00am. I said it would not suit as we were going to get the ferry to the Aran Islands the next morning and
it was an hour and a half road trip, so could we have breakfast earlier. We asked for breakfast at 08.00am which is not an unreasonable hour at all.
She said she would see if her husband would get up to cook breakfast. We didn't really understand this reaction at the time, as we have never had this said to us in any other Bed and Breakfast in Ireland.
The bedroom was very very small. The sink was in the bedroom just inside the door, this I felt was wrong, a sink should be in the en-suite, so when you are washing you don't have to go from one place to the other. This is not full en-suite facilities at all. The en-suite should not be advertised as such at all. I had to close the shower door behind my husband, as he was not able to turn in it to close it. He is not 20 stone but he is not a small man either. There was no room for the towels in the bathroom, by this i mean no room for even a towel rail. Towels were on the bed. I found the shower small too and I am only a size 12 to 14. It looked like there was a small partician built and painted in the colour of the room to fit the shower and toilet, but no thought went in to how small it is.
The bedroom had a double and single bed in it. This in my opinion was crazy, as it was not big enough for it. The chest of drawers was so small that there was no room for the cups and saucers on it when we were finished our tea, as I had some personal things on it. Usually this is not a problem, but I have never seen such a small item in and B&B bedroom before. The cups had to be put on the single bed. We were falling over our case and had to move it when we wanted to move around the bedroom. This was obviously being sold as a family room, with a double and single bed in it.
We were awake with pipes rattling up to 04.00am and neither of us could get back to sleep along with the fact that our feet were sticking out the end of the bed. I am 5'8" in height and my husband is 5'11" neither of us is over tall. After a sleepless night we got up for breakfast, not knowing if the husband was going to be up, we weren't told. My husband John was asked did he want a full Irish breakfast and he said he did. I was asked did I want the same and I said that I had rang ahead to say I didn't eat red meat or eggs. I was told there was cereal there and a buffet and if I thought of anything let him know. I was shocked at this attitude. I had yogurt and a bowl of cereal. There was only corn flakes and muesli there and two open packets of cheese that looked as if they had been there all night. I decided not to use the cheese as it was open and didn't look fresh at all. So I had yogurt and cereal. I had also asked for brown bread when I was booking the bed and breakfast and I was told that was no problem, I never got it, there was none
available. The husband came out from the kitchen with the full Irish breakfast which was "two fried eggs and two pieces of bacon" we were both disgusted with this. We were both left without a proper breakfast. We went to pack up our case and came down with the key. Brid [-] said you are off then with the first smile we seen on her face. I said yes but we are not happy with the service you are offering and told her she should not be in business at all. She raised her voice to me asking what did I think I was talking about, so I listed all the problems we had during our stay. She said she had never had a problem with the room we were in and I said I didn't believe that at all. So then I went on to the breakfast asking when did a full Irish breakfast turn into two fried eggs and two pieces of bacon? She said that nobody eats sausages anymore and they always have to throw them out. I said to her that she was really pulling a fast one with the price she was charging to no service at all not even a breakfast. I then asked what happened to the black and white pudding and the mushrooms on the full Irish breakfast and I got absolutely no response, I asked again
and no response. I said to Ms. [-] that when people book over the phone she has no idea if they are 5' or 6'3" and she should be catering for everyone, considering we found the bed too short, she certainly didn't even consider people's heights.
We paid €70.00 for the night and in our opinion is what not worth it at all. There was no offer of any kind of a refund for bad sevice, a lack of facilities or no breakfast as promised when I phoned ahead.
Cong is a beautiful village, "The Quiet Man" was filmed there, but if you intend to stay there go and look for alternative accommodation.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
12 Thank PollyMazzie
thewestsawake, Owner at Ryan's River Lodge, responded to this review, 10 September 2010
I would like to start by thanking my valued customers who took the time to write their reviews and I would like to take this opppurtunity to say that at Ryan's Riverlodge we always do our upmost to make our guests feel welcome and to ensure they enjoy their stay with us, Riverlodge is a victorian style house and is our home as well as our business, our house is clean and has a very warm friendly atmosphere. My mother and father in law ran this business for over forty years and David and I took it over last year and opened a Cafe downstairs also, we still run the B&B to the highest standard and are inspected and passed annually. We have received all positive reviews in our comment book, on Discover Ireland and on tripadvisor except for this lady who wrote a very untrue review, she stayed in the pink room which is advertised on the internet, its contains a standard double bed and single bed, we didn't get a specially sized bed to fit in the room or cut a bit of f so it would fit nor did we with the shower they are both of standard size. We do have a room with a King sized bed as some guests often request. I have guests that have stayed in that room for a week and have never complained. They were only in it for 1 night. I welcomed them that evening and asked them if they were attending the wedding in Lisloughrey as all my other guests were and had already checked in. I led them to their room and asked if 9am breakfast would suit, obvisously 9am does not suit all of our guests and off course we always accomodate them, but it is the most popular time, my other guests were not having breakfast until 9.30 am and 10. She said that they would need breakfast at 8 because they have to get the ferry from Rossveal at 10.30 and it takes an hour and half to get there " i printed off the AA road watch direction" she said. I said that breakfast at 8 was fine but they didn't need to give that much time it only takes about 50mins and gave the directions to her husband at the bedroom door, she never spoke and he thanked me and I gave details of the key for the outside door and if they needed anything else we were down stairs.
David was up in the morning at 6.30 baking for the cafe so there was no question that he was not going to be up. So the usual continental buffet breakfast is set as is every morning, fresh cheese (not stale or there all night), 3 cereals not 2 as she stated, Irish yogurts, orange juice and milk then we serve a cooked breakfast, or whatever the guest may request if it is something really unusual they request the night before, she didn.t eat eggs or meat so normally the buffet plus toast and brown bread would be sufficent but it wasn't for her and she never asked for anything else, there was toast brown bread and scones in their basket. This lady left me with a mobile number which i never could contact since and she didn't sign the guest book, most people that stay in B&B's know its the persons home as well as their business and livelyhood and they enjoy that type of accommodation there is a huge difference betweeen a 5star hotel and a small family run B&B. Anyone that has stayed with us knows that we are not unfriendly and always do our most for our guests. and our guests never leave hungry. She also named my mother in law whom she never met.
Again i would like to assure our guests the we run riverlodge to the highest standard and would like to thank anyone who has left reviews positive or negative we do our best to meet everyones needs and what ever feed back we receive we take very serious but untrue comments that are publicly posted we dont think are acceptable especiallly as these tough times, we want our guests to have value for money.