“Bliss”

GreenLeadersGold level
Galway, Ireland
“Bliss”
Reviewed 27 August 2008

We escaped to Lisloughrey lodge for one night - from the moment I arrived I loved the place, the setting is beautiful You can either stay in your room chilling out watching DVDs that are available from reception or head out for a leisurely walk in the nearby woods. Stayed in the standard room which was very nice with a lovely comfy bed, was disappointed that was no bath, especially after the long walk ! Had dinner in the Salt Restaurant which was a fabulous, beautifully presented with no rush, then back to the bar for a night cap . This hotel is where you go to get away from everything, to sit back and relax, the lobby has seating areas where you can sit back have a glass a wine & read the papers. Loved it some much heading back with a couple of friends to relax some more!

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Dublin
Reviewed 25 August 2008

Every hotel has one room from hell.
And this time, it was our turn to take it.

In Lisloughrey the hell room has a name - 'St. Emilion'. In the main building, sandwiched bewteen the all-night video console room, populated by tweenies and teenagers until 4am, a fire escape and outside the smoking gazebo.

The room was not only tiny, without proper ventilation, unless you consider 2nd hand smoke refreshing, without a view, without a bath, without any shelves in the 'wetroom', without any shower curtain, without enough sound proofing from the Nintendo Wii and with a charge of €220 B&B.

Although I booked for two nights, we checked out ASAP after one night. I discussed with the receptionist, their need for my room on the 2nd night (had a waiting list), but they were unwilling to discount my bill in any way.

Otherwise the breakfast was average.

I think that I would have increased my rating, had my complaints been listened to.
But they don't seem to care.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank canyonaro
Roscommon, Ireland
Reviewed 2 August 2008

Lovely boutique hotel. You get what you pay for. Staff excellent, especially Shelley. View from our hotel room was amazing. Any problems soon sorted out. We had 2 rooms one for us and one for the kids, in a duplex style upstairs apartment style. We booked the family break - 2 nights dinner for us on one night, babysitter included and trip on boat to Inchagoill Island. Defo recommend.

• Liked — Location, Staff, Facilities, Rooms
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
amsterdam
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Great stay in a fantastic hotel: very nice rooms, great leisure facilities with sauna, wi room, golf. We had a very good dinner with attentive service!

• Liked — great service and food
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
ireland
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I recently enjoyed a one night well deserved break away from the kids in the lisloughrey lodge,from the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty .The staff were great ,very friendly everyone from the manager to the night porter,the food was top class as good as i have had in recent times , will definetly return in the near future.

• Liked — peacefull and great staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Monaghan,
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We stayed here for two nights during the Easter Holidays, the family getaway break - Mum, Dad and 4 boys under 6. After a four hour drive, we parked in relief and the view, with the sun shining on the lake immediately put a smile on everyone's face.The receptionist was lovely, showed us to our suite.Boys were delighted with their room, own en suite, robes, dvd's and tv on the wall - as were we when we saw our room adjoining, with an even bigger flat screen tv, beautiful furnishings. So plush, so relaxing. Champagne was there waiting for us, Housekeeping then arrived with cookies for the boys - personalised, and blinis for us -wonderful. Bar food menu varied and a proper menu for kids too.Breakfasts were a feast in themselves. Restaurant meal was five star, a babysitter was provided also, we had a boat trip on the lake.This departs from Ashford Castle, a short walk through the woods.All thoroughly enjoyed it. There is no leisure centre/pool in the hotel, but the weather was good and we all enjoyed the stay. Would love to come back ourselves as a treat. had no hesitation in recommending it, possibly if the boys were older it may not have been so entertaining, but it has certainly raised the bar in terms of standards for a family break. All of the staff were pleasant, talkative without being intrusive and calmly went about their various tasks in a most professional, yet approachable manner.

• Liked — The standard and quality of the staff, the food and the room decor
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
Dublin
Reviewed 8 April 2008

Lisloughery Lodge promises so much. Beautiful setting, beautiful gamekeeper's house converted to a Country House Hotel.
Except....
The interior decorator's brief appears to have been 'New Orleans Bordello'. This may look well in a city, but on the shores of the glorious Lough Corrib is quite simply wrong. Arriving around 3pm, after a long drive from Dublin, the hotel seemed dark & un-inviting inside. In fact, it reminded me of a Leeson Street Club back in the 90s at around 6am, just a little seedy.

Our rooms were not ready, so we had a coffee in the bar, as we were told it would only be a few minutes. Around three-quarters of an hour later, we were shown to our rooms. I imagine that all guests are escorted to their rooms as otherwise they would never find them!

The room was an OK size, and a little over furnished. The wardrobe door could only be opened if the arm chair was moved. The arm chair couldn't be moved, as the desk (can't call it a dressing table, no mirror) was in the way. So, armchair hoisted onto bed, wardrobe opened, clothes put away.

Next, look into the bathroom. NO BATH! I love baths in hotels - don't know why, but I can only really sleep if I have a pre-bed bath! No shower enclosure/screen/curtain, so I knew there would be water everywhere. No shelf/table to place toiletries, so washbags all went on the floor. The underfloor heating seeped into toiletries, and some products were adversely affected. Now, I love underfloor heating, great for the tootsies on the mid-night trips to the loo, but please provide somewhere to place washbags!

The shower was not great - very little power & the water was just above tepid. I have thick hair and I found it difficult to rinse the shampoo out.

The power outlets were all located miles away from the mirror, so my hair dryer would not reach. Fortunately, they supplied an OK hairdryer with an extra long cord. Still it could just about reach. If I used curling tongs or straighteners, it would have been a disaster!

When I took the kettle out to make a cup of tea, I found that the only socket that could be used with the lead length was the one directly under the Plasma TV. At home I wouldn't dream of using a steam producing device under an electrical device. Here I had little option. A nice touch was the milk was all fresh. You had to call reception and it was sent up. Mind you, this would possibly prevent you making a very early morning cuppa.

The food was good, the breakfast OK - the sausages tasted cheap. A decent banger is a great thing - surely there is a butcher in Cong?

I asked someone who was in one of the Duplex suites if they had a bath - no! In my mind, a hotel needs a bath.

Lovely walks in the area, I really disliked the interior decor (especially the read marble with flecks of shiny mica in the public loos)

• Liked — Beds were comfy
  • Disliked — No Baths, decor very dated for a new hotel
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Speeds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
Ashford Castle
Westport Coast Hotel
Westport Coast Hotel
#5 of 14 in Westport
the g Hotel & Spa Galway

Been to The Lodge at Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!