The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Peacockes Hotel(Maam Cross)
  • Restaurant
Dalton Inn Hotel(Claremorris)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsashford castlelough corribwilde's restaurantwii roomquay barduplex suitequay suitegas firelake view suitehorse ridingunderfloor heatingwedding guestscong villageafternoon teaquiet manlounge arealittle touches
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just returned from a mid-week two night stay at The Lodge at Ashford Castle.
Now owned by the red carnation group which also owns the Castle. (THAT explains all the red carnations) Traveling Solo I have to say I received a great welcome and really enjoyed my stay.
The staff helped me pick, and booked me on activities located at the main castle site.
A short walk away, as the lodge is in the castle ground.
(I was even offered a lift in the hotel 4X4)
A lake cruse and Falconry were the two activities I used, I wasn't disappointed.
Food was excellent and room was luxury. I enjoy wildlife and the mature forest and river on the grounds were a treat for me. I strolled around spotting birds and watching people fly fishing.
The town of Cong is friendly and picturesque again walking through the castle grounds to the middle of town meant I never moved my car during my stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Deck1021
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read that you had a fantastic stay with us.

I am happy to hear that we were of assistance to you during your stay and I will be sure to pass on your thanks to David & Patrick from the Corrib Cruise and to Debbie from the Irish School of Falconry, each of our suppliers on the grounds of Ashford Estate are dedicated, like us and our sister property Ashford Castle, to ensure that guests have a fabulous experience from start to finish.

We look forward to welcoming you back for more explorations of the Ashford Estate as 2 days would not be enough time to cover the 360 acre estate in full.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We returned to Lisloughrey for a one night stay. We had got married at this hotel 12 months ago. From the moment we arrived, the staff were extremely friendly. The room we were given was fabulous. The hotel is similiar as 12 months ago but seems to be improving, if that was possible. A lot of money is being spent on the place and it shows. We went for dinner in the restaurant and it was amazing. I dont say this too often. it was 3 course meal but with extra surprise dishes inbetween. Definately the best meal i have had in a long time. We will return again!

Room Tip: The lake view rooms or Quay view rooms are great
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eoghan O

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor, I am delighted to read of your most recent experience with us.

I am glad you noticed the improvements made to The Lodge since your wedding with us, and that you believe they are enhancing the property further. I have passed your comments about the food to our Head Chef, Jonathan Keane who was delighted to hear them.

I do look forward to personally welcoming you back to The Lodge in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have just returned from a 1 night stay in the Lodge at Ashford Castle. I was very disappointed with the hotel in particular the overall experience and ambiance. The Lodge at Ashford Castle advertises itself on its website as offering an 'exemplary boutique country house experience.' The hotel did not live up to its own description. There was a wedding on the same night as my stay. The noise from the wedding could be heard in all areas of the hotel. Neither I nor my boyfriend could not sleep with this noise.
Furthermore we decided to eat in the bar for a more relaxed, easy going experience than a restaurant. I had the crab to start and rigatoni main. The food was bland and the presentation was not appealing. The fire was lighting in the room however there must have been a down draft as the room was smoky. The seating in the bar was uncomfortable. I visited the bathroom twice while dining at the bar. Both times I had to try a few cubicles before finding toilet paper. On my second visit the bathroom was untidy with papers and spilled make-up at the sink area.

The breakfast was served in Wilde's Restaurant. This is a very nice area for breakfast. The buffet was tasty. My boyfriend does not drink tea or coffee and instead asked for hot chocolate. 5 minutes after serving him the hot chocolate he was asked to pay 2.50 extra for it. I think that for the price of the room this is an unnecessary extra charge for hot milk and cocoa powder.
The staff at the hotel are all lovely and this was the only reason I have provided a 2 star scoring instead of 1. I would not recommend this hotel to a friend nor would I return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kate M

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for placing your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read that you thought the staff is excellent and the location was great.

I am sorry to learn of the problems you encountered during your stay with us and would like to reassure you that I have addressed these with my team to ensure that other guests do not have a similar experience.

I regret that your visit was not as positive as others on this site, but do hope that you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves. Do please contact me personally for any future reservations you may wish to make.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Well when Andrew Chantrell says sorry, he does it with style. We had stayed in the Radisson Blu in Sligo the previous night and were disappointed.
But The Lodge and their staff more than made up for it.
From the minute we arrived, we were treated as special.
From the lovely Padraig who helped with our luggage (VERY important to ladies), to the welcome at reception, it was top notch.
My room (Tattinger Apartment) was amazing. Extremely spacious, HUGE bed, and everything one could need was available. The only thing I had to ask for was a fan as it was so warm.

My friend and I booked to dine in the Restaurant as we knew Red Carnation food would be amazing. However, what we didn't know, was that nobody else was booked in, so we had a personal chef for the evening and the meal was wonderful.
Any other hotel would have diverted us to the bar, but not this one.

The lovely Austrian waitress realised from the start that I was Gluten intolerant and had the chef adapt the surprise treats between courses to suit.

EVERY member of staff we met in the 24 hours saluted us with a smile. The entire visit was unforgettable, in fact the next day, we went for a spa treatment to the main castle and WHEN we return, it will be to the Lodge.
Looking forward to using the newly planned spa at the lodge next year.

Mrs Tollman and Andrew can be proud of this one. It is a gem.

From one 'Hard to please' woman.

Room Tip: View makes no difference, you will be having too much fun
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Regina3
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read that The Lodge was the highlight of your trip. I am delighted to read that you were happy with your Quay Suite and that we could provide you with everything you required.

I have passed your wonderful comments onto the staff but particularly Padraic and Valerie from the restaurant, who were equally delighted to hear them. It is also great to note that you enjoyed your meal in Wildes restaurant, and that the chef catered to your dietary requirements seamlessly.

Unfortunately we will not have a Spa in our hotel, rather a more specialized Beauty Service with expertise in skincare and bridal makeup, we are counting down the days to see The Beauty Room at The Lodge opening its doors for the first time. However, spa services at The Castle are always available to the guests of The Lodge, with a booking in advance.

From all of us at The Lodge we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Just back from a 3 night stay at the Lodge last week and as always it was exceptional. We have been coming to Lisloughrey since it opened and it never, ever fails to disappoint from the lovely duplex suites, to the exceptional service of the staff in all areas. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel and it is our favourite in Ireland. It beats any 4/5 star hotel we have previously stayed in. The only downfall is that it is not in Dublin for us to frequent more often. An absolute gem of a hotel in a beautiful location. As beautiful as Ashford Castle is, we always opt to book the Lodge.

Room Tip: Personally we always choose a Duplex suite because we love them and they are very spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank misshonesty

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for placing your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor. It is delightful to read that you have been coming to the hotel since it opened. We are very proud of all of our staff at the hotel, its comments like this that makes them even more enthusiastic to exceed our guest’s expectations.

It would be great to be closer to Dublin, but then our guests would not be able to enjoy all the wonderful activities, scenery and walks on the Ashford Estate. I do hope to personally welcome you back to The Lodge in the not too distant future.