The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Peacockes Hotel(Maam Cross)
  • Restaurant
Dalton Inn Hotel(Claremorris)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsashford castlelough corribwilde's restaurantwii roomquay barduplex suitequay suitegas firelake view suitehorse ridingunderfloor heatingwedding guestscong villageafternoon teaquiet manlounge arealittle touches
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We attended a wedding there recently and stayed overnight at the Lodge. We had booked our accommodation some months ago and got a fabulous room in the main building. I would consider our room a suite as it had living accommodation downstairs and the bedroom was upstairs. The downstairs part had a couch and some chairs, tea/coffee facilities as well as a fridge. We also had a little space outside with a table and two chairs. There was a flat screen TV and also what looked like an electric fire built into the wall but the day was so hot the fire was not needed! Upstairs there was a big double room with a very comfortable bed and a really cosy quilt. The bathroom was huge and had lots of nice soaps and shampoo and there was a TV in the bedroom. The location of this Lodge is breathtaking - overlooking the lakes and surrounded by lots of trees and a fabulous garden. It is a fantastic place for wedding photographs with lots of background scenery. Breakfast was good but I felt the selection of cereals, breads and fruits was rather limited. The Lodge is a fabulous place for a relaxing break and hopefully we will return.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are really nice
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Feemar5
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor, I am happy to read that overall you had a relaxing break and that you plan to return.

I am glad that you enjoyed your Duplex Suite which we have 12 of in The Lodge. These suites have recently been refurbished this summer with new couches, televisions, mattresses, bedding and bathroom products.

I am sorry that you felt our continental breakfast offering was rather limited, we have recently doubled the size of our continental buffet offerings to include a larger selection of cheeses, artisan meats and fish, farmhouse breads, seed loafs and additional cereals. However our chef will be reviewing the offerings in light of your comments and we would like to thank you for your feedback.

I do hope that you will be able to return to The Lodge and that I can personally welcome you back.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We attended a Wedding Reception at the Lodge in late June 2014. We had never been there before so we were anxious to see how things would pan out....The location is "to die for"..nestled in the woodland on a high vantage point overlooking the Lakes.....breathtaking !!!. The one thing that stood out for us was the attention to detail and the Service...We were both very, very impressed. There was not one aspect of the entire visit that could be faulted in ANY way....We did not stay overnight(fully booked by our wedding party).....All who stayed, some for a few days, said it was an absolute delight and a rare experience. We were enthralled by the visit and we shall be back soon for sure....

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Azvor
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your comments about a wedding you attended here at The Lodge at Ashford Castle. We too think that we have one of the best locations possible with the abundance of natural beauty that surrounds us.

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our service team, we encourage our team to use their personality whilst maintaining a particular level of service which each individual does so naturally. I have passed your comments onto the team here at The Lodge, which they were delighted to read.

We all really look forward to welcoming you back to The Lodge at Ashford Castle in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon at Ashford Castle, c17 years ago. We fell in love with the Castle, the Grounds and thought the staff were wonderful. When Pierce Brosnan decided to get married there some years later, the Hotel seemed to be 'put on the map' deservedly.
We visited the Lodge at Ashford Castle a couple of years ago and, whilst we had a lovely break, we missed being able to enjoy the facilities of the Castle, just down the road, as the Lodge was under separate ownership at the time.
We were so pleased therefore to hear that the Castle has been taken over by the Red Carnation Group, who have also purchased the Lodge, creating 'an Estate'. This means that staying at the Lodge affords you access to the beautiful Castle, the grounds, the bars, the restaurants, the leisure facilities etc. With tennis courts, spa facilities and soon to have a swimming pool, this is fantastic news.
Last week my husband and I took up a Midweek Madness Offer and stayed one night at the Lodge, enjoying a 2 course meal in the bar of the Lodge and staying in a Courtyard room.

The staff were very welcoming but a minor hiccup - the room was less so. We were in quite a dark room, with a slightly musty odour. It was one of the few rooms with full disabled facilities which is commendable but not quite what we had imagined having stayed there previously in a gorgeously bright and fresh room.

Nevertheless, a walk to the beautiful Castle, a look at the lake, cocktails in the bar and a stroll back in the evening sunshine made up for any 'mild' disappointment in the room. Having stayed there before we know that most of the other rooms are absolutely gorgeous and bathed in natural light, many with stunning views. (I guess you get what you pay for - we were on a 'mid week offer after all!)

On the plus side - the bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom well stocked with helpful goodies.

Breakfast the following morning was gorgeous too and check out was more than easy.

We can't wait to return to the Lodge. We will try to request a slightly brighter room, but this didn't spoil our stay in the slightest.

If prices permit, we are also very keen to stay in the Castle itself which is going through an incredible refurbishment, the finishing results of which, are sure to be stunning. You never know - perhaps we might bump into Pierce Brosnan and his wife, enjoying their anniversary too !..
Thanks to all at the Lodge for another lovely stay in gorgeous surroundings.

Trudy and Andrew. x

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TMapstone

Dear Trudy and Andrew,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us here at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, I am delighted to read that overall you had a great stay with us.

We are truly delighted to be part of The Red Carnation Hotel Collection, which has opened up The Lodge to all the estate activities that guests of Ashford Castle have enjoyed for many years. We now also share the same fantastic entrance, grounds and facilities.

I am sorry that the room allocated to you was not of your preference in terms of natural light, as you rightly pointed out we do have 6 Lakeview Suites which do look over Lough Corrib, but please feel free to let us know of your preference next time you plan to stay and we will do our very best to accommodate you. We have just recently changed all our mattresses in the hotel, so its great to read that the bed was extremely comfortable. We are also working with a new company that supplies our bathroom amenities, which are of a higher quality than the previous products.

I hope it’s not too long until we see you again, I look forward to personally welcoming you back to The Lodge in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were staying in the area at a private Cottage outside of Clonbur on the Corrib, but we decided to treat ourselves for dinner on our last night at Wilde's. Food - Superb. Service - Superb. Everything about this meal was Wonderdul, the table, the view, the service, etc....I had the tartar & my husband had the foie gras...creamy melted in your mouth...mine was lushious and rich. The maincourse was risotto and fish...just wonderful...rich and smooth and the rice - perfectly cooked...fish (John Dorry) was perfectly cooked and the plating was beautiful...the little bites in between were a GREAT surprise and the deserts were over the top...the play on Popcorn was just beautiful and the taste was everything...Completely worth the price and would do again. Besides the restaurant....I have to say something about the bar downstairs...the staff there was above and beyond - the nicest people I have ever met. I am so sorry I cannot remember his name, but the bartender was great...we were talking about it being our last night and that we were going to stay at the Bunratty Castle hotel (cause close to Airport) and he gave us directions, but the long way so we could see some more beautiful sites in Ireland. He even printed out maps for us...who does that??? No one I ever met. I cannot wait to come back to Ireland and when we do we will definitely come back to the Lodge probably just to have a pint or two and dinner...not sure if we could afford the hotel. :(

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank doglover505

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful review of Wildes Restaurant at The Lodge. I am happy to read that you had a great experience, from when you arrived to your table over looking Lough Corrib to the food and service. Our chef Jonathan likes to explore and invent different ways of cooking and serving his food, he was extremely happy with your feedback which encourages him to keep creating new dishes.

I am delighted to read your comments about our staff in our Quay Bar, they will go above and beyond to help or advise all our guests whether staying or just stopping for a meal or a drink. It’s with great pleasure I read of this staff member going above and beyond to provide you with such a lasting memory of The Lodge.

Please do keep an eye out on our website for special offers, we do run with certain promotion all throughout the year and I would hope that you would be able to come back and stay the night with us. Once again thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to The Lodge one day.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

In the same grounds as Ashford Castle in Cong, lisloughry Lodge is a gem. My husband and I stayed in a deluxe suite which is on two floors.. Superb. Dinner in Wilde's restaurant was beautiful and service great. Breakfast excellent. Thatched cottage in grounds leading to Ashford Castle had lovely food and drinks especially on a lovely sunny day. Weather during our stay was brilliant but if you want somewhere different and other places to go in one setting this is the place to stay .. You have the castle itself, the gardens, the cottage bar and restaurant and the Lodge... You can sail on the guided tour of the River Corrib..or try your hand at golf or falconry. Other suites in the Courtyard at the Lodge are cheaper but looked great.

Room Tip: Rooms to front have Corrib view. Courtyard suites cheaper but looked great especially those at front overlooking terrace and river view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AnnaTeresa

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor.

It is wonderful to read that you had an excellent stay with us. I am delighted that you were happy with your Duplex Suite, Dinner in Wildes Restaurant and breakfast. It is great that you managed to explore the estate and little with a visit to Cullens at the Cottage and the grounds of Ashford Castle.

I hope to look forward to welcoming you back to The Lodge at Ashford Castle in the near future.