“Lovely stay but "one of the last English Country Houses"”

The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cong
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Absolutely loved this place and the meal I have just eaten in their restaurant , has to have been the nicest meal myself and my wife have had in years. I love the west of Ireland and love how the Red Carnation group have totally improved the grounds of both Ashford and the Lodge properties . My only complaint was when I logged on to the wifi to write my review was the pop up screen that read"one of the last English Country Houses" and me a proud Irishman with a love for the West,

Room Tip: The lodges are spacious for families and give you that extra space that is sometimes necessary.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle. I am delighted to read that we had the pleasure of serving you and your wife a memorable meal.

With regards to your complaint, our IT Manager and I were trying to replicate the message that you received when logging into our wifi network unsuccessfully. I would be delighted if you could furnish me with more details to colin@thelodgeac.com, as we are a proud Irish Country House.

I hope to welcome you and your wife back to The Lodge in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Lodge is located in the grounds of Ashford Castle (short walk away through the forest) with one of the best views across the Lake you could ever want.
My room was clean, if a bit worn around the edges. No AC and it smelled mouldy when I checked in - windows open all day/night helped with that, but shouldn't have had to. Couldn't get the heat switched off - maintenance were around quickly to try to resolve, but no fans available.
Comfortable bed, spacious room, lovely shower, no bath, complimentary toiletries.
Room was located down a corridor which seemed to slope strangely - almost felt like it was another part of the building/another building. There is a courtyard block I understand - don't know what rooms there were like.
Some of the common areas have been refurbished and are lovely and luxurious. If you're lucky, you'll only see these.
Most of the staff were helpful, but waiting staff in bar were so slow - over 50 minutes to wait for a Chicken Caesar salad (which was 2, yes, 2 cos lettuce leaves with a bit of chicken in each) and overpriced for what it was.
Breakfast served upstairs - get there early and get a view overlooking the lake - it's stunning.
Do a wide range of foods, catering to all tastes.
Wifi was erratic.
I would love to go back here when the renovations are completed - it has such potential - although currently overpriced. Understand the Lodge and the Castle have been acquired by the Red Carnation group and significant investment is planned, so fingers crossed they get it right!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake or forest.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank KatB15

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, whether good or bad this helps me monitor the service that we provide here at The Lodge.

I am sorry to hear of your issues with your bedroom. I have taken these comments back to the accommodation team to ensure that rooms are to the standard we expect for the arrival of our guests. We do have a stock of desk fans for our guest use, I apologise that this was not made available to you and have personally followed up with the member of staff who dealt with your request.

I am happy to hear that you found most of the staff helpful and breakfast catered to your taste, but disappointed that you found the bar service slow. We regularly conduct price comparisons in the surrounding area and I can assure you that all our food and drinks are competitively priced.

I do apologise for your experiences at The Lodge. I hope that you will give us a chance to rectify manners and I would like to oversee the details of any future reservations that you may have at The Lodge, please feel free to contact me on colin@thelodgeac.com.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is a very nice hotel in a fantastic location. My wife and I stayed here on a two night promotional package that included two evening meals. In my opinion, the Hotel is doing itself no favours with this promotion.

Whilst the hotel and facilities are excellent, we got the distinct impression we were treated as "lessor guests" because we were on the promotional offer. The two course meal in the bar was from a very limited "special" menu and very disappointing. I had the chicken tenders and to be honest have tasted better from KFC. On the flip side of this, the breakfasts were excellent (staff did not know who was on promotional offer and who wasn't )

On the day of our arrival I went to take a shower only to find the water cold. I contacted reception and was told that they were aware of the problem and were awaiting a plumber. I have no issue with this as I do realise breakdowns occur and are beyond the control of staff.

On our second day we left the room around 11.00 am, placing the "make up room" card on the door. On our return around 3;30 after a day exploring the area by bicycle we returned to find the room as we left it. This did not particularly bother me but as we both wanted to shower, I rang reception to request fresh towels. After an hour of waiting on these we eventually give up and used the towels from the day before.

Overall, the hotel is quite good and would definitely have returned here if It hadn't have been for the "lessor guest" impression.

My advice to the management would be to PROMOTE the hotel with your offers. Don't try to skimp with the bar meals. One meal in the restaurant, allowing customers to sample what you can do, would be much more beneficial than two fast food options in the bar!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank euge1958

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback on your recent stay at The Lodge at Ashford Castle. It is great to read that you think the hotel is nice and that our location is fantastic.

I am surprised to read of your comments that you felt like you were treated as “lessor guests”. Rest assured I have taken these comments back to the management team as all our guests, no matter what channel they use to book, are as important as each other.

Some of own rates and some rates on third party websites do include a 2 course meal in our Quay Bar off our Pier Menu. All our guests have the opportunity to upgrade to our Wildes Dinner Menu for €20 per person if they wish to have a more elaborate meal. I do apologise if this was not to your taste.

I am sorry for your experience with our Accommodation Department and your request for extra towels. I realise the importance of an efficient accommodation service and am sorry that we let ourselves down on this occasion. I appreciate your feedback and have discussed our shortcomings with the team in order that these may be addressed.

Once again thank you for your constructive feedback, I do hope that you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves in the future. Please do contact me on colin@thelodgeac.com so that I can personally oversee the details of your stay.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We travelled to cong in county mayo we arrived at the lodge and from the minute we arrived we were meet by fantastic staff who were so helpful. As we had a dinner included and had arrived at 8 .30 pm we went to our room with our bags and went to the restaurant at 8.50 to sample the most fantastic food in wildes restaurant and a sampler menu in between our courses where we sampled many delights. We had a fab room with a huge bed with the most comfortable mattresse and feathered quilt, breakfast was fantastic each morning. There was nothing too much that the staff could do for us we had the most reling break and we are looking forward to coming back

2  Thank tamara016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for you for posting your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read that you had a relaxing break and that the staff were helpful throughout your stay.
It is great to read also that you enjoyed your dinner in Wildes Restaurant and that the bedroom and bedding were to your requirements. I do hope to personally welcome you back to The Lodge in the near future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with partner. Emailed the day before to say we'd be late arriving. Nice welcome at reception, but the complimentary champagne on arrival, was Prosecco in a bucket of water. Room was ok. Bathroom could do with a good clean. Grout of tiles in shower area was dirty. Food was good, but little things niggled. Potatoes served with mains were supposed to be colcannon. It arrived in a dish with a green mousse type of goo on top. It wasn't like any colcannon I'd ever had before. It was runny and had no kale or cabbage in it. Another diner asked if she could chicken, only to be told there was none in stock. All was available was what was on menu. Gave the impression that Chef couldn't or wouldn't cook anything else. Another diner at breakfast asked for a cappucino, only to be told there was an extra charge for it! A bit mean! Apart from that, a lovely location. Beautiful walks by the Castle.

2  Thank MarySTipperary
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, this helps me monitor the service that we provide. I am glad that you enjoyed the surrounding areas and thought the food was good.

I am sorry that the Prosecco that was part of your package was not topped up with ice as you had informed us of your late arrival, we do have a procedure in place for this in the evening time, but it seems this was not carried out in your bedroom, our Food and Beverage Manager has taken this back to his team as an area of training.

Here at The Lodge we operate a rolling maintenance programme for our bedrooms and public areas. I have asked that the room you occupied to be brought forward on this to re-grout the tiles in the bathroom shower area, Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

On Sunday evenings in Wildes restaurant, we do run with our chef Jonathan’s blind tasting menu, where the only question asked is if a particular person has any allergies. This has proven to be very popular with diners over the past 4 months. The potato dish served on the night in question was colcannon with a spring onion foam. It consisted of potatoes, butter, cream, salt and cabbage. I am sorry that this element of the dish was not to your taste.

We do have a nominal charge on speciality coffees at breakfast time which is listed on our breakfast menus. We provide ground or filter coffee, breakfast or herbal teas and hot chocolate for our guests free of charge.

I regret that your visit was not as positive as others on this site, but do hope that you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves. Do please contact me personally for any future reservations you may wish to make on colin@thelodgeac.com

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Thuas maith, leath na oibre. An Irish saying which means a good start is half the work.
My wife and I visited The Lodge as part of a Connemara trip last weekend. All the elements conspired to perfection and we arrived at thhe Lodge on a beautiful sunny afternoon after a stunning drive from Kylemore Abbey. This was the "luxury' night of the trip and I had booked a suite.
It is rarely that a room can have such an impact but both of us ( seasoned travellers) were blown away by the room. We spent a most enjoyable afternoon in the little garden outside the suite enjoying the sunshing and soaking in the lakeview.
But there was more to come.! We ate in the Wilde Restaurant that evening where they had a mystery tasting menu on offer. The range, quality presentation and inventiveness of the food was simply superb. We argued whether it was our finest meal ever and whereas we didnt reach agreement it was certainly one of the leading nominees. It was also incredible value for the quality of the offering and the icing on the cake was a window table where we were able to watch the patterns of the setting sun on the lake and surrounding mountains
We met with the manager Colin the next day and he explained enthusiastically that the Red Carnation Group had taken over the hotel in February ( already own the nearby Ashford Castle). and talked about the plans for the estate. If thats the standards that they have achieved after just 5 months, it will be really interesting to see where Colin and his crew can take the Lodge over the next year.
His enthusiasm was absolutely infectious and I genuinely wish him and the Lodge well.

1  Thank JJW296

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted that we surpassed all your expectations of The Lodge, you have given great justice to our location, I struggle to think anyone else could better you on this description. Our chef Jonathan was delighted to read your comments on the food in Wildes restaurant, you will have to return to us one day and settle the dispute!

All of us at The Lodge are very proud and confident with the product and service that we offer, which I am delighted you picked up on, it was an absolute pleasure to host you and your wife for the weekend. I do hope to personally welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We attended a wedding there recently and stayed overnight at the Lodge. We had booked our accommodation some months ago and got a fabulous room in the main building. I would consider our room a suite as it had living accommodation downstairs and the bedroom was upstairs. The downstairs part had a couch and some chairs, tea/coffee facilities as well as a fridge. We also had a little space outside with a table and two chairs. There was a flat screen TV and also what looked like an electric fire built into the wall but the day was so hot the fire was not needed! Upstairs there was a big double room with a very comfortable bed and a really cosy quilt. The bathroom was huge and had lots of nice soaps and shampoo and there was a TV in the bedroom. The location of this Lodge is breathtaking - overlooking the lakes and surrounded by lots of trees and a fabulous garden. It is a fantastic place for wedding photographs with lots of background scenery. Breakfast was good but I felt the selection of cereals, breads and fruits was rather limited. The Lodge is a fabulous place for a relaxing break and hopefully we will return.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are really nice
1  Thank Feemar5

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor, I am happy to read that overall you had a relaxing break and that you plan to return.

I am glad that you enjoyed your Duplex Suite which we have 12 of in The Lodge. These suites have recently been refurbished this summer with new couches, televisions, mattresses, bedding and bathroom products.

I am sorry that you felt our continental breakfast offering was rather limited, we have recently doubled the size of our continental buffet offerings to include a larger selection of cheeses, artisan meats and fish, farmhouse breads, seed loafs and additional cereals. However our chef will be reviewing the offerings in light of your comments and we would like to thank you for your feedback.

I do hope that you will be able to return to The Lodge and that I can personally welcome you back.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
Ashford Castle
21 mi away
The Castlecourt Hotel
The Castlecourt Hotel
#5 of 13 in Westport

Been to The Lodge at Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!