“A Great Find” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“A Great Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed here as a couple for one night, on the way to visit family and really enjoyed our stay. Our room was well appointed with a huge bed and the lodge and grounds are very peaceful with fantastic views. We checked in on a Sunday evening, there were several functions going on so the hotel was quite busy, but check in was quick and efficient.

We ate in the bar, the food was excellent, I can particularly recommend the black pudding fritters which were delicious.

My stand out memory of this hotel was the quality of the service and how friendly and obliging the staff are, nothing was too much trouble. A special mention to Robert in the bar who looked after us very well on a busy night.

We come to Ireland two or three times a year to visit family, we have decided that we will start all our holidays with a visit to the lodge in future.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for placing your review of The Lodge on Trip Advisor.

It is with great pleasure I read that you really enjoyed your stay with us at The Lodge. I am delighted that you received quality service, in particular from our Bar Supervisor, Robert Duggan. I have passed on your appreciation to the team and they were delighted to read your feedback.

I am delighted to read that you will be planning to visit The Lodge on your return visits to Ireland, I do hope to have the pleasure of personally meeting you on your next stay.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

This was our 4th time staying here but the first time staying since the new hotel group took over. While I loved the décor the way it use to be and not such a fan of the new décor it doesn't take away from the fantastic experience. From the moment we checked in everyone from reception to all the wait staff could not have been nicer. We were upgraded to a lakeview room which had a gorgeous view. They left a lovely note and piece of cake for my husband for his birthday.
We had dinner included in our package and it was excellent. It is a relief as a Coeliac to have knowledgeable wait staff that know all the ingredients in the dishes and how everything is cooked. Breakfast use to be a buffet but thankfully it is cooked to order now and matches the excellence of their dinner menu & service.

Room Tip: Worth it to get a lake view room
Dear Guest,

Thank you for wonderful review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that overall you had a wonderful stay with us. I am sorry that the new decor is not to your taste, however I hope that they will grow on you when you do return next to us.

It is great to read that you found the staff friendly, albeit, a lot of old faces as we have only added to this wonderful team from taking over on the 20th of January 2014. I am happy that you liked the changes to the way we serve breakfast and that it now matches our standards on other food offerings.

I do hope to be able to personally welcome you back for your 5th stay at The Lodge and we will look forward to our next encounter

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed last week for three nights on the lil lodgers package. Overall it was a superb experience, kids loved the kiddies club, the restaurant was AMazing, really fab food and quirky wonderful choices. Room was excellent, boat trip fantastic, staff so helpful courteous kind and just superb, cannot recommend it highly enough,we will be back its our third visit and best. Thanks to all staff decor cleanliness etc.

Room Tip: Families will love deluxe duplex.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CmrIreland
Colin B, Manager at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor.
It is great that you had a fantastic stay with us on the Lil Lodgers Package. Our staff really enjoyed taking care of you and your family. I am delighted to read that you found our team superb and the staff really enjoyed reading about your comments.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back for your third trip to The Lodge in the future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

First of all, if you are not into, beautiful scenery, peaceful surroundings, tranquality, great food and outstanding service.. Its not for you. Have stayed in alot of places in the south of ireland but the lodge would be at the top of our return list, which we are already planning.
Staff couldnt do enough for us, great room service, fantastic food.. Great nights sleep, bed very comfortable, rooms very clean. Great selection of food variety within the lodge, the castle and cullen's cottage , which is in between the lodge and castle.
We couldnt fault anything wrong with our stay. We would highly recommend it..

Room Tip: delux room with a view
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read that you had a fantastic stay overall.

I have passed your wonderful comments onto the staff who were delighted to read them. It is great to hear that you managed to explore all the food offerings on the Estate.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Lodge at Ashford Castle in the not too distant future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were there for our friend's wedding. I think this place is always packed with wedding parties. Especially weekends. If you are going away for a romantic getaway with your hubby or with your kids, I don't think this place is it for you.....

Food was great. Portion size = Very Very small like I mean soup came in an expresso cup. However, food was tasty and I enjoyed it.

Room was nice. Furnitures were bit outdated or it was just boring but bed was nice and comfy.

Overall great place. view is fantastic. I would go back there for another wedding!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Yuki K
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle on Trip Advisor.

We do cater for weddings here at The Lodge but this is by no means the only guests that stay with us. Our Lil Lodgers family package is very popular along with our Staycation and Young at Heart packages. On average, for the year, we have one wedding a week, which is not necessarily over the weekend days, but during the summer months, there is understandably a higher demand for weddings at the weekend.

I am disappointed that you felt the pre-starter soup was a small portion, all menus are chosen by our brides and grooms to reflect their personal taste and individualism.

I am happy to read that you would return for another wedding and thank you for your time to write your review.

Hotel Manger
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Absolutely loved this place and the meal I have just eaten in their restaurant , has to have been the nicest meal myself and my wife have had in years. I love the west of Ireland and love how the Red Carnation group have totally improved the grounds of both Ashford and the Lodge properties . My only complaint was when I logged on to the wifi to write my review was the pop up screen that read"one of the last English Country Houses" and me a proud Irishman with a love for the West,

Room Tip: The lodges are spacious for families and give you that extra space that is sometimes necessary.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Lodge at Ashford Castle. I am delighted to read that we had the pleasure of serving you and your wife a memorable meal.

With regards to your complaint, our IT Manager and I were trying to replicate the message that you received when logging into our wifi network unsuccessfully. I would be delighted if you could furnish me with more details to colin@thelodgeac.com, as we are a proud Irish Country House.

I hope to welcome you and your wife back to The Lodge in the not too distant future.

Galway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Lodge is located in the grounds of Ashford Castle (short walk away through the forest) with one of the best views across the Lake you could ever want.
My room was clean, if a bit worn around the edges. No AC and it smelled mouldy when I checked in - windows open all day/night helped with that, but shouldn't have had to. Couldn't get the heat switched off - maintenance were around quickly to try to resolve, but no fans available.
Comfortable bed, spacious room, lovely shower, no bath, complimentary toiletries.
Room was located down a corridor which seemed to slope strangely - almost felt like it was another part of the building/another building. There is a courtyard block I understand - don't know what rooms there were like.
Some of the common areas have been refurbished and are lovely and luxurious. If you're lucky, you'll only see these.
Most of the staff were helpful, but waiting staff in bar were so slow - over 50 minutes to wait for a Chicken Caesar salad (which was 2, yes, 2 cos lettuce leaves with a bit of chicken in each) and overpriced for what it was.
Breakfast served upstairs - get there early and get a view overlooking the lake - it's stunning.
Do a wide range of foods, catering to all tastes.
Wifi was erratic.
I would love to go back here when the renovations are completed - it has such potential - although currently overpriced. Understand the Lodge and the Castle have been acquired by the Red Carnation group and significant investment is planned, so fingers crossed they get it right!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake or forest.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank KatB15
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Lodge at Ashford Castle, whether good or bad this helps me monitor the service that we provide here at The Lodge.

I am sorry to hear of your issues with your bedroom. I have taken these comments back to the accommodation team to ensure that rooms are to the standard we expect for the arrival of our guests. We do have a stock of desk fans for our guest use, I apologise that this was not made available to you and have personally followed up with the member of staff who dealt with your request.

I am happy to hear that you found most of the staff helpful and breakfast catered to your taste, but disappointed that you found the bar service slow. We regularly conduct price comparisons in the surrounding area and I can assure you that all our food and drinks are competitively priced.

I do apologise for your experiences at The Lodge. I hope that you will give us a chance to rectify manners and I would like to oversee the details of any future reservations that you may have at The Lodge, please feel free to contact me on colin@thelodgeac.com.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
Ashford Castle
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,815 reviews
Currarevagh House
Currarevagh House
#1 of 6 in Oughterard

Been to The Lodge at Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!