“Amazing Experience”
Review of Ashford Castle

Ashford Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cong
Reviewed 3 November 2013

What is there to say? its an 800 yr old Castle that makes every little girl's fairytale come true.
Breathtakingly beautiful location. The Staff of Ashford are beyond attentive and accomdating. The Castle is partially accessible to the disabled. I was in a wheelchair, however my room was not on an accessible floor. THis did not deter Yvonne and the staff however who just simply carried my wheelchair up the flight of steps to our room. Even though the room was not handicapped accessible the doorways were wide enough for my chair to fit through and the toilet was actually rather high for a regular toilet, I was able to use my walker to access the bathroom. There was broadband internet in the room and you didn't need to use a converter to charge phones, cameras, etct they had outlets that were already converted that all you had to do was plug in. Room was spacious with amazing view of Lough Corrib and the rear gardens. They were also very willing ot hold our luggage for us upon our check out as we were going to visit the grounds a bit more before leaving, and infact when we returned to fetch our luggage they had already loaded it in the car for us. We had dinner at Cullen's Cottage on the castle grounds which is a converted thatched roof cottage. Lots of ambiance and great food. Breakfast we dined in the main Dining room and it was amazing. My family and I felt like royalty being served amazing local fare

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Catherine O

Reviewed 2 November 2013

The Ashford treats you like royalty, from the minute you arrive until you leave. Rooms are clean and of good size. They were very up-front about some construction happening while we were there and we were so thankful that we were placed in a wing opposite of the construction area.

The food in the restaurants is quite good and they did a nice job letting us know of all activities we could participate in while visiting the castle.

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank traveltoujours
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My first time staying at ash ford castle and I haven't stopped raving about our family experience. Catherine and her staff could not have been more accommodating! Truly professional and so warm and welcoming, some delightful personal touches and kids amazed that everyone remembered their names! The Harry potter adventure was amazing and the kids truly enjoyed the baking and dinner in the dungeon. John and I have stayed in hotels all over the world but this is truly a unique experience the setting is fabulous but the staff really inject the warmth and homely feel into the whole experience, will certainly return! Well done Catherine and her team

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Eileen C
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Ashford Castle & Cong were magical experiences for me. The boat trip & ballads we sang brought me to tears. The gentleman playing bagpipes welcoming us was a experience I'll never forget.
The Castle and staff were the best I've ever experienced.
I've traveled widely - zaire - Ethopia - Tunisia - Amazon Jungle- etc. I'm happy I saved this trip
at this time in my life. If i ever marry again - the Castle would by my only destination for a honeymoon.
Mary Jane Moore

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank pestnyc
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Ashford castle and it's grounds are spectacular. The breakfast each morning was delicious and the waitstaff treated us like we were a King and Queen. The staff were always kind, courteous and helpful. We did a hawk walk at the Falconry and my husband and I both agreed it was one of the highlights of our two week honeymoon. We will be returning for anniversaries!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ohio32
Reviewed 29 October 2013

It was the best place (hotel) we have ever stayed. Everything was made up to perfection. The feeling of going centuries back , extremely helpful staff( remembering our names) , dinner service and etc. Our kids enjoyed HOgwarts night sooooo much, it was well organised and we are definitely coming back next October . It is quiet expensive to stay as family with two kids but well worth it , as this is a very special treat. Thank you very much to all staff for amazing weeken!

Room Tip: We had family connecting room. Two double rooms. Great!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank monduka
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We loved staying in the 15th c part of this amazing castle. The grounds are parklike and extensive, staff friendly and helpful and it was a rare experience to be able to enjoy lovely pieces of art. Breakfast and service great. Only negative was bartender in the drawing room one evening wanting to charge us for a unedible starter (slimy peppers with melted cheese and a vinegar type dressing poured over it). Price is high, but worth it for a treat.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traveller1947291
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Villa Pio Bed & Breakfast and Luxury Apartment
Corrib Wave House
Corrib Wave House
#13 of 23 in Oughterard

Been to Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!