“This was a a lovely visit”
Review of Ashford Castle

Ashford Castle
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cong
Norwood, NJ
“This was a a lovely visit”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We were only able to spend one night at Ashford but the staff made the short visit memorable. The tasting menu in the George V dining room was excellent. Our room was very impressive, overlooking the fountain and grounds. We will try to visit again after the renovations are completed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have been to Ashford Castle twice, one was just lunch and a walked around the stunning garden. I was impressive and I had to come back and stay for the night. Unfortunately we stayed only one night but it was good enough to remember forever.
Is so beautiful, all my family loved everything about it. The food was great, we had snack meal during the day and dinner at the restaurant downstairs.
The breakfast is sensational, everything you can imagine.
I have to mention as well that someone was playing the piano A M A Z I N G you want say there forever !!!!
I can say it was my favorite place in South Ireland.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Aleghellere
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I visited Ashford more than ten years ago. I recently planned a trip to Ireland for my daughter and my sister. My daughter graduated from high school and her Aunt took her to Ireland as a graduation gift. I was not on the trip.

My review focuses on my interaction with Catherin Kenny, an outstanding member of the Ashford staff, and the feedback from the travelers.

Ms. Kenny provided me the most exceptional customer service imaginable. She assisted in room selection that guaranteed a recently renovated room with two beds. No detail was too miniscule for Ms. Kenny. I cannot thank her enough for her professionalism and kindness. She is a reflection of the high level of service as experienced by the ladies.

My daughter and sister were more than pleased with Ashford. They stayed as Ashford, Sheen Falls and the Merrion. They said that Ashford was their favorite hotel and favorite experience on their ten day trip.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JPax
Washington, United States
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Food here was impressive to say the least and if we hadn't spent the night as a nearby inferior manor house, we would have loved to stay here. They are just starting a major remodel and will be closing for 3 months. This should be an impressive remodel. The grounds are amazing and amazing food. We will be staying here in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flyman192
Mamaroneck, New York, USA
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My friend and I spent two nights at Ashford Castle (would have stayed longer but couldn't afford it) in September/October. It was absolutely stunning and we only left the property once during our stay and quickly came back when we realized the town had minimal amount to offer. We were upgraded when we checked in to a suite which was lovely... until we got woken up early due to construction on the roof and then the hole in the bathroom ceiling with pieces of the roof falling in and seeing people walking on the roof. We called downstairs and the sent two different people up and eventually "took the room out of use." They felt really bad for us and gave us a different room ( a lot smaller but still very nice). We we checked out we were hoping they would comp us with something due to the inconvenience. When we got the bill nothing was comped so when they asked us how our stay was I very nicely and honestly said it was great and the falling of the ceiling just added to the adventure. They felt horrible as they didn't realize that anyone was actually in that room. They quickly took a good chunk off of our bill.
Besides that little incident which I highly doubt will ever have again, here is the biggest positive and the only disapointing aspect. Positive: you must do the falconry, there is absolutely nothing like it and it made our whole trip! The only semi dissapointing aspect was the food. There are two main dining areas (the drawing room is mainly for lunch). King George's is VERY expensive so never ate there. The other one is good but I wouldn't want to go there more then twice as there is not the big of a selection. Bottom line, if you ever go to Ireland stay at the Ashford Castle!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Maryland
Reviewed 7 November 2013

What a most impressive drive to the Castle. The grounds are simply amazing. We were warmly greeted by all of the staff. We felt so very special. They gave us a tour of the castle with a brief history, then showed us to our most beautiful spacious suite overlooking the gardens. The HH's and evenings with Irish music was most memorable. There is an hour long boat ride hosted by brothers Patrick and David which is well worth it. They are so informative and share their family experiences and history of the Castle. They are very entertaining to boot!! A must see!

Sparky

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Wow. A gorgeous castle in a quaint town. We enjoyed the falconry lesson and the boat ride offered by the castle. The breakfast served was also spectacular! If you have a chance, stay here for even just one night. It's fun to explore.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
The Lodge at Ashford Castle
Galway Bay Hotel
#5 of 45 in Galway
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,919 reviews
the g Hotel & Spa Galway

Been to Ashford Castle? Share your experiences!