“Very Friendly Hosts!”
Review of Michaeleen's Manor

Michaeleen's Manor
Ranked #6 of 13 Cong B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 September 2013

What a beautiful B&B! Our room was very comfortable and we slept very well while staying here. Loved all the references to "The Quiet Man" including the opportunity to view the movie in the privacy of your own room! Gerry and Margaret were very welcoming and eager to offer suggestions on places to visit. Breakfast was wonderfully prepared and we totally enjoyed Gerry's humor. The only complaint could be the dampness felt throughout the en-suite but could be attributed to our room location.

Room Tip: Bring your own washcloth.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JPWui

Reviewed 17 September 2013

One of the nicer B & B we stayed at during our trip. Clean, larger that average room and bath. Could be a bit noisy since there was no carpeting to absorb sound in the room or hall. Nice large breakfast, friendly hosts and plenty of partking.

A note about B&B's: We stayed in 7 B&B's duing our trip, all 4 star or more. Generally they do not provide any wash cloths and just hand soap, no shower soap. As a rule the rooms are small and the bathrooms are tiny, about 3' x 9' with just enough room for the shower stall, toilet and sink. The showers are snall some just 2' square. Most do not have any alarm clocks, have dim lighting especially the bathrooms and few or no outlets for charging phones, tablets, etc. That being said they were all clean with nice bedding, all provided a full delicious Irish breakfast and all the hosts were very friendly.

Room Tip: Could be a bit noisy if full as there is no carpeting in the room or hall.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2010Escape
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here as part of my birthday weekend celebration. I have always been a fan of The Quiet Man film, and the B&B was full of photographs and memorabilia which was interesting. Our hosts, Jerry & Margaret were very welcoming and accomodating, and nothing seemed too much trouble. Our room was very clean and comfortable and had a lovely big shower (compared to our one at home), although we didn't spend much time in the B&B. Included in the deal we had was a guided tour of the village and dinner at a nearby hotel which we both enjoyed very much. We would recommend this B&B to anyone, not just the Quiet Man fans.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kekelambie
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My wife and I recently stayed two nights at Michaleen's Manor and had a wonderful time. We are Americans living in Germany and came for our 31st wedding anniversary. The room was clean and comfortable. Although quite warm outside, we found the room cool and quiet. The breakfast was wonderful! Gerry and Margaret were wonderful hosts. Full of stories about the local village and the movie. Our stay included the tour, breakfast, and a wonderful dinner down town. A bonus was the wonderful people we met along the way.

We really enjoyed our visit and would return if given the opportunity.

Thanks Gerry and Margaret!

Room Tip: Rooms are named for characters in the movie...choose wisely. We were in a corner room in the bottom...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I have been travelling to Cong village with my family since I was a child over 30years ago, now I bring my children and they love it. I have stayed in Cong Hostel, Michealeens Manor and Cong Caravan Park all run by Margaret and Gerry Collins. Margaret and Gerry are the most friendly, hardworking and generous people you could meet, they always take time to get to know their guest, they have time and patience with children and despite their enormous work load are always pleasant and friendly. The accommodation is clean, comfortable and good value for money. Cong village is very quaint and picturesque, it offers lots of attractions and Gerry is always willing to give advice on where to go and what to do. I would highly recommend a stay with Margaret and Gerry in Cong Village. Annamarie, Co.Antrim

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

I took my girlfriend to michaleens manor for a weekend break and had a most amazing time. It's I'n a beautiful location with lovely walks around the beautiful ashford castle. The breakfast was beautiful and the service off the owners was off what u would expect from a 5star hotel. I can happily say that I will be back to stay for a longer period next time!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I booked this as a special two night stay for my husbands birthday, as he is a great fan of The Quiet Man movie. Included in the price of Euro178 was a tour of Quiet Man film locations and an evening meal in Lydons in Cong, and the film on a loop in our B&B - [it was not]. On arrival on Sunday afternoon [30th June 2013] we had to go to another premises across the road to collect our key, where the foreign girl could not take my credit card for payment. She was insistent we had to come back after 5pm to pay 'the man'. Although the substantial premises was empty we were given a basement room at the back, which smelled slightly musty - the soap in the bathroom had been used, no shampoo provided, and the place was not particularly warm. Also, corridor lights only partly worked. The residents lounge seem to be locked, so we could only use our room, or go out. There was lots of banging and slamming during the night, but we seemed to be the only people there for breakfast on Monday morning.
Breakfast was good and served by the Collins.I re-iterated that it was my husbands birthday treat. We went into their Quiet Man Museum for our pre-paid tour - another man came to act as our guide, and took us on a appox 1/2 hour walk around the village...and that was it. end of Quiet Man tour.
However, we still had his birthday dinner at Lydons to come, which I double checked during the day. I needed to upgrade from a two course and request a small birthday cake or somesuch. We arrived at Lydons a little early and it was fairly quiet - our starters and mains arrived and were fine - then nothing - no service, nothing. So after almost 1/2 an hour staring at cold empty plates I went to the bar to pay for our drinks and leave. In fairness the bar staff did not charge me for our two drinks - one pint and one 1/2 pint - but it rather spoiled the birthday.
That night there was a great deal of banging through the night at the B&B and the following morning we discovered a table of six visitors. We were told to make our own toast, get our own cereal, and to sit at the table with the milk jug on it. Frankly the Collins could not have been ruder.
We came back to Northern Ireland very disappointed and would not recommend Cong to anyone ever. I believe we were financially ripped off and the experience fell far short of what I had been led to believe in telephone conversations and website pomotion. We are in our mid-fifties, and I was raised in the Republic of Ireland, so I do not think I had unrealistic expectations for our weekend.

Room Tip: never take a basement room
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple