“loved the quotes”

Ranked #5 of 13 Cong B&B and Inns
Scarisbrick, United Kingdom
“loved the quotes”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

this is a purpose built b&b it was lovely and clean, breakfast was excellent. the staff were very friendly. We loved the pics and quotes from the film the Quiet Man. It was an excellent touch to have the dvd of the Quiet Man in the player. would recommend it to everyone

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Dromore, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Been coming here for the last 10 years; it's quiet, beautiful and relaxing. It holds special memories for us and we'll be coming here in the future: hopefully bringing our own children down here in the years to come! Margaret and Gerry are fabulous people, probably 2 of the nicest people we've ever met. Thank you for helping to create the special memories! X

Room Tip: Margaret and Gerry are fantastic hosts and nothing is too much trouble!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hawley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My husband and I had B&B travel vouchers for our trip to Ireland in November of 2013, so we never had to deal with any credit card issues, as mentioned by previous posters. Even though the purpose of our week long, first trip to Ireland was genealogical research in County Leitrim, we knew we couldn't come to Ireland, and have the ability to visit Cong because of a self-drive vacation, and NOT travel there! As promised in our B&B travel/guide book, Michaeleen's was everything a "Quiet Man-iac" could ask for in a B&B!!! The decor in the halls, rooms, and indeed the entire Manor consists of countless tributes to and memorabilia of the film, in all its glory. The B&B itself is lovely and relatively new, with several modern appointments noted in our quarters, particularly in the bathroom. When we were there, the proprietors were away - however, their friend Chris was most hospitable, and cooked us a very hearty breakfast, complete with touring instructions, directions, and anything else we needed. All in all, this is THE B&B for those who desire to be enveloped in the "Quiet Man" experience upon arrival in Cong, and throughout your visit!

Room Tip: (We did not notice an elevator, so we were happy to have our room on the ground floor!)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I booked to stay in this B&B and was asked for my credit card details. Unfortunately I got very ill and had to ring up the day before my intended stay and cancel. I was told that I might have to be charged something, which I was very surprised at as I was giving 24 hours notice and I was sick. I was too sick to argue but really presumed that I would not be charged. However I have just noticed on my bank statement that I was charged 32 euro for not staying there. Total rip off. I would advise anyone to stay clear of the place.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nmcb2013
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I booked a 1 night stay in this B+B as i was attending a family wedding nearby. The booking was made over the phone about 3 weeks beforehand. The proprietor took my credit card details over the phone , something that doesnt normally happen when staying in a B+B in Ireland. However since he had my credit card details, one would have expected him to be relaxed about things when I arrived. If anything, he was the exact opposite!! First of all, there was no one at home when I arrived at the B+B. There was a sign on the door stating that if there was no one there to call to the hostel accross the road. This I did, but there was no one there either. There was a phone number written on the door of the B+B to ring but again there was no reply. I waited a further 10 minutes and eventually he turned up. He opened the door and his first words were not "Welcome to Cong...Let me show you to your room." or anything basically friendly like that. No his first words were to mention the price. I just replied "ok, that's fine" expecting him then to show me the room. Instead he repeated the price again and said "Can you pay me now?" I said, " Can you hold on til I bring in my bags from the car first?"
"No ", he replied, "Im in a rush." At that moment I would have walked out the door and told him what to do with his room but since he had my credit card details I was afraid he would charge me for the room if I didnt take it.
The room itself was adequate , of a reasonable size, but there were no toiletries provided and the tv did not work.
The breakfast provided was adequate but nothing special. In the morning over breakfast, he was very chatty and I could see some residents seemed to have seen a better side to him but even still with me he couldnt resist making a derogatory comment on my parking skills!!! Basil Fawlty is nothing on this guy! By the way I only met the wife when handing up the room key and she seemed like a nice friendly woman.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank peadarog
Huntley, Illinois
Reviewed 27 September 2013

What a beautiful B&B! Our room was very comfortable and we slept very well while staying here. Loved all the references to "The Quiet Man" including the opportunity to view the movie in the privacy of your own room! Gerry and Margaret were very welcoming and eager to offer suggestions on places to visit. Breakfast was wonderfully prepared and we totally enjoyed Gerry's humor. The only complaint could be the dampness felt throughout the en-suite but could be attributed to our room location.

Room Tip: Bring your own washcloth.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JPWui
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 September 2013

One of the nicer B & B we stayed at during our trip. Clean, larger that average room and bath. Could be a bit noisy since there was no carpeting to absorb sound in the room or hall. Nice large breakfast, friendly hosts and plenty of partking.

A note about B&B's: We stayed in 7 B&B's duing our trip, all 4 star or more. Generally they do not provide any wash cloths and just hand soap, no shower soap. As a rule the rooms are small and the bathrooms are tiny, about 3' x 9' with just enough room for the shower stall, toilet and sink. The showers are snall some just 2' square. Most do not have any alarm clocks, have dim lighting especially the bathrooms and few or no outlets for charging phones, tablets, etc. That being said they were all clean with nice bedding, all provided a full delicious Irish breakfast and all the hosts were very friendly.

Room Tip: Could be a bit noisy if full as there is no carpeting in the room or hall.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2010Escape
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cong
The Lodge at Ashford Castle
#3 of 13 in Cong
Nymphsfield House
Nymphsfield House
#1 of 13 in Cong

Been to Michaeleen's Manor? Share your experiences!