“Title” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in St. Asaph
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Title”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2008

Was sent to stay in this hotel after a failure of another hotel to make my reservation.

Looked a little shabby initially in the corridors etc, but had a lovely big room with everything I needed and a good sized bathroom with an excellent shower.

The hotel has leisure facilities, but I didn't use these.

The bar and conservatory was nice and relaxing. Breakfast was a large buffet and was very nice.

• Liked — Modern, comfortable bedroom
  • Disliked — Shabby corridors
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2008

I am of that age where I spend the majority of my weekends attending weddings! Luckily for me, I love a good wedding but the negative is that we often spend an inordinate amount of money on hotel accommodation that consists on a pokey bedroom and a soggy breakfast!! So I was very pleasantly surprised with my recent trip to North Wales for a friends wedding.
We stayed at Oriel house in a beautiful new room which was larger than average and found the staff very accommodating despite our late arrival.
The staff and general surroundings are lovely and welcoming and gave us loads of info of what to do in the surrounding areas... unfortunately we didn't have time to do much as I spent most of my weekend at the wedding or in the SPA!!! so we will have to go back again.........

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2007

we stayed at oriel house hotel for a wedding which I have to say was amazing from start to finish, I wish I could say the same about the hotel itself. The only good thing about this hotel is the rooms we had one which had been recently modernised allow the shower was awful and hardly worked. The hotel itself is full of stairs and corridors that wind and go on forever, and it decor in the corridors could do with a re vamp. My main problem with this hotel is the staff on reception moving up to management. No one wants to take responsibilty for anything the hotel lost a vaulable item of ours which should have been put in the safe but was left at reception and when we came back to request the item it had gone. Communication betweeen the staff does not happen and no one has a clue what is happening or what the rules or basically what is going on from minute to minute. I could go on but I won't I am currently still trying to obtain an item which was left as the hotel and three stories later has been posted out to me!!! but still hasn't arrived. My advice would be have or attend a wedding or any event here but leave afterwards so your day isn't ruined by incompetent members of staff.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank misseyx
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2007

We booked last minute on laterooms at £80 for a junior suite, which we thought was pretty good. We arrived at the hotel (despite our sat nav which wanted to take us to a block of flats in St. Asaph) and were pleased with how pretty it is. Bit of frustration at check-in as they'd booked us into a club class room, not what I booked but this was sorted out very quickly by the extremely helpful man on Reception. As the staff had booked us into a different room it meant that our actual room was not cleaned. This was done very quickly indeed but the fact that staff knew we were waiting to get into our room meant that it wasn't done perhaps as thoroughly as it might otherwise have been and we were without fresh towels or bath robes. Not a big issue though and easily resolved with a visit to Reception.

The Receptionist explained that they were holding their 3rd wedding in 3 days at the hotel, however we were treated really well despite being only 1 of 2 bookings not with the wedding or a large coach party. Our room (111) was fantastic and contemporary with an enormous comfortable bed and sofa. My only (tiny) complaint about the room is its proximity to the bins and the car park, you can hear everything which is not great at 5am when the kitchen staff were up! Otherwise the room was lovely and well worth the money.

We ate in the restaurant and found the service to be outstanding. We arrived early and the restaurant was full with a pre-booked coach party, however our waitress was extremely accomodating and the service was faultless. The food is great and extremely well-presented, and we found this again at breakfast the next morning. Same excellent waitresses too!

We wanted to use the terrace as the weather was good, however this had been taken over by the wedding party and we didn't feel that we could intrude. As the hotel is small the terrace and bar were completely taken up by wedding guests which is only right, however next time I will check to see if there is a wedding on before booking. I would like to note though that the disco noise didn't feed back to our room at all and we were on the same floor. The hotel is extremely well soundproofed.

All in all we loved our stay and found the hotel very relaxing and welcoming. I can't comment on the pool or spa facilities as we didn't use them but they offer comprehensive spa treatments and they looked great. We will return and recommend!

• Liked — The great room and service, wonderful staff.
  • Disliked — Not a fault but the noise from the bins is a bit much at 5am!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mandy_Dave
Wiltshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2007

We arrived early evening having travelled by car for several hours and were pleasantly surprised by the exterior of the hotel that looked warm and inviting. It all kind of went downhill from here.....

We booked in and were given the keys to our single rooms....we made the trek up the stairs and followed the warren of corridors to our rooms. Our rooms were to the back of the hotel and the corridors smelled very musty. My colleague and I had rooms opposite each other. We were horrified to find that when we both entered our respective very, very small rooms...neither had been cleaned. Beds unmade, towels on the bathroom floor and dirty cups and saucers lying around. We thought we had entered rooms that were already occupied.

Obviously we complained and after some stamping of feet the manager offered to clean the rooms himself. We declined the offer and asked to be moved to other rooms. The Manager said there were no other rooms available and eventually made arrangements for us to stay at another hotel some 5 miles away. We were offered a complimentary dinner as compensation for our trouble but we were too tired and just wanted somewhere clean to stay!

• Liked — The door out of it!
  • Disliked — The whole experience
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank LittleHobbette
Leeds, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2007

We found Oriel House when we were looking for a weekend away having both been a liittle under the weather. The web site looked attractive and it seemed to have all the facilities we required. We phoned and got a very helpful receptionist who sorted out our booking. We arrived and found a perfect country hotel, wonderful friendly staff, definately not like the big chains!! The dinners were superb, a good wine list with sensible prices. Breakfast was cooked to order not from a heated up buffet counter.We booked a suite, Room 225, go for it if you can. It is very modern and perfectly quiet, at the back, ignore the view of the car park, because you will love the room. The hotel has a good clean gym and pool. A very recommendable hotel. We will definately return.

• Liked — Enjoyed the whole weekend, faultless. All Bedrooms looked superb.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2006

Overall disappointing stay. Initial impression spoiled by lack of welcome/hospitality from guy on reception. Room very average and not worth the rate. One of quietest hotels I've stayed at - staff not particularly friendly or helpful. Thought at one point that they might have actually taken a vow of silence! Wouldn't return here again - would use the Talardy further down the road where staff are much more friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,411 reviews
Pier Hotel Rhyl
Pier Hotel Rhyl
#1 of 5 in Rhyl

Been to Oriel Country Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!