“Lovely public rooms but rooms tired.”

and 1 more site!
Oriel Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in St. Asaph
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Conservatory, dining room and outside areas lovely and very relaxing. Our room as adequate but bathroom very tired. Mould around bath and very dusty radiator not four star. I did not use swimming pool but my partner did and changing area and showers in need of refurbishment.
Breakfast buffet style for cereals and toast, waitress service for cooked. Plenty of choice and generally good although would avoid the scrambled egg which wasn't freshly cooked.Girls serving breakfast lovely - very helpful.
Enjoyed our stay and very convenient for exploring Llandudno and surrounding areas.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed this weekend at the Oriel Hotel. Staff were very nice and welcoming. The conservatory and dining area were very fresh and inviting We had a king size room and it was clean and comfortable. The restaurant wasn't available that evening so we were put in a temporary restaurant. It felt cold and was lacking atmosphere and decoration - think it is usually used as a meeting/conference facility. The hotel is advertised as a spa. We used the pool the following evening. This was only open until 8 although weekdays it is open until 9 which was a bit of a nuisance as we didnt get in there until half an hour before it closed. So it was a very quick dip. It was getting dusk but there were no lighting on. There were a few chairs scattered around one end of the pool but I couldnt imagine sitting there and relaxing. There is one small sauna. To be honest a pool and a sauna does not a spa make!

Breakfast was very good and as I said earlier the staff were very friendly. A little more attention to detail and this hotel would be very good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane M
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights on a business trip to Rhyl and had an unexpectedly pleasant stay. The hotel is very well cared for with lovely public areas. (garden, conservatory, restaurant) I had breakfast and dinner there during my stay. Both were superb. I didn't get a chance to use the pool and gym but am bringing my costume next time. A colleague who came better prepared than me said the fitness facilities were excellent

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank 1966girl
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My wife and I spent one night in the hotel, which is probably in need of a make over. Not dirty or decrepit but a little frayed around the edges. The staff were top notch, pleasant and not over fussy. The swimming pool and sauna were very clean and welcoming. Gym staff helpful and polite. Cooked breakfast prepared to order and of reasonable standard. Clare in the breakfast room had a very competent and relaxed manner, just right for first thing in the morning.
Wifi was fast and FREE! how long before the likes of Premier Inns get the message that we expect free wifi. I usually stop at the nearby Premier at Rhuddlan but from now on I will use the Oriel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mekanico
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed for 2 nights Sunday and bank holiday Monday. I booked an executive double room and were not disappointed. We selected the hotel as a place to spend 2 days visiting various parts of North Wales. We didn't eat in the evening but the breakfast was good with cooked breakfasts being cooked to order. St Asaph is a 20 min walk from the hotel, but there is not a great deal there, although we did find an excellent gastro pub called the Plough which I would highly recommend. Overall we enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would stay there again. I used the gym and pool one evening and this too was perfectly adequate.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JonBurton999
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Taken in by what appeared to me to be decent reviews, I plumped to stay a night in this 4-star establishment, but questioned my own judgement in doing so?
As a solo traveller, I tend to chose carefully where I spend my companies budget on a hotel for the night, something I do regularly most weeks, throughout the year.
The lure of a spa and pool and photographs of well presented bedrooms, did the trick.
However what I sampled, left me feeling a little non-plused. the reception area, dining room and lounge area were all fine,light and airey, but the bedroom, room 201 was not up to par, with a window facing a noisy back alley over what I can only imagine was the exit from the kitchen area.
I stepped down, from an oversized step into the room that took up far to much of what was quite a small room to begin with. it was a bit tired looking with mold around the bath, a toilet that didn't flush properly and a cold water tap on the sink, that when turned on, vibrated so violently and so loudly, that it felt like the plumbing was going to breakout, through the bathroom wall.
Obviously I don't know what the other bedrooms are like, not having seen them, but I suspect as i'm finding more and more to my cost, that hotels that cater for or specialise in hosting weddings, tend to be all bells and whistles downstairs in the reception rooms, but are often lacking in offering bedrooms with any style and substance, or is it just me that thinks that.
From now on i'll avoid such hotels as experience has taught me, they appear to be cut from the same cloth. A room is what i'm paying for and and a decent quality room is what I would like as per the photo's you supply on sites such as bookin.com.....thank you.
The food in the restaurant was of a good quality however, if not a little pricey, but you do need a few more waitresses to serve and show guests to their table, when they show up, looking for all the world a little lost and not knowing where to seat themselves?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank stuart w
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Bought a groupon deal to stay 3 nights, found the hotel to be very clean all the staff all be very helpful and polite. The surroundings at the hotel to be very relaxing room was excellent and would highly recommend the evening menu (food at breakfast & in the evening both very good).
Only let down was the "SPA" changing rooms poor condition and pool was not cleaned but ok for a quick dip followed by steam (sauna broken). Would defiantly recommend to those looking for a hotel in the north of wales :))

Room Tip: Upgrade from standard room defiantly worth it