“First ever Groupon deal and we were very impressed”

and 1 more site!
Oriel Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in St. Asaph
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Just back from a 2 night stay at Oriel Country Hotel. Husband and I upgraded on the very reasonable Groupon deal to a deluxe room, we stayed DBB and we were very impressed. I was anxious having read some diverse TripAdvisor reviews. However I am very relieved I chose to stick with it. Agree with the comments that the exterior of the front needs redoing- it doesnt do the building justice at all. The inside communal areas are very nice, in particular the conservatory and the dining.bar areas are perfectly satisfactory. The pool and spa was ok too, nothing spectacular but clean and useable.
Massive plus points were the food- really impressed with the menu selection and we were both happy with our 2 course meals on both nights. Presentation, flavour and refinement all there. Service was very good and totally contrary to other trip advisor reviews. Sat night was very quiet and Sunday there was a wedding but this made no difference to the staff who were just as helpful.
Would definitely recommend this hotel and we will return with the kids as its also well positioned for the beautiful tourist destinations that we didnt get chance to see. A mention of thanks to Andrew who was particularly helpful and friendly throughout.

Room Tip: Upgrade to deluxe if offered
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LRH74

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

One night stopover while travelling on business. The room was nice, very clean, with good size en suite. Unfortunately it was on the ground floor the first bedroom that it appears everyone had to walk down to reach their room and right beside the corridor fire door. This meant a lot of noise with people walking past all night talking and opening and closing the door.
Breakfast was ok, a very good continental selection and excellent cafetiere coffee, but the cooked breakfast was mediocre, fried bread inedible, bacon & mushrooms bland.
Good location though and I would return. I don't think that it was worth the £84.95 single occupancy tariff.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I spent a 2 day Groupon break at the Oriel Country Hotel & Spa with myself and 3 members of my family. Upon our arrival the Hotel looked ok, slightly tired but on the whole was fine.
I found the room adequate but looking quite tired and definitely in need of an uplift.
We did have an evening meal at the hotel which I have to say was very well presented and tasted lovely, the service though was quite slow, however the waiter Leon was very nice and was very polite.
Breakfast was ok but have to say the full Welsh breakfast was a little sparse and we did have to pay extra for it too.
There was a 24hr bar which we did use however, a lot of the time it wasn't manned and had to ask at reception most times to get someone to serve us.

There were two functions on whilst we were there and I was told a couple of times when I requested coffee and other drinks that we had to wait as they were very busy setting up the rooms for the functions that were due in, I really don't think that we should have had to wait as we were just as important to the hotel as the functions.

I do think some of the staff working there definitely need to up their game in appearing happy to help you as I only found 2 members who really seemed to take an interest in our needs.

Overall I enjoyed my stay there, but there are definitely issues that need to be addressed i.e. staff and décor in the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I placed a booking in January of 2013 for an event in September at the Bridge Pub in St Ayaph which is run by the same people. Telephone conversations were made with Michelle and Naz and an email was sent to confirm and one revived back to agree.
I called 5 days before the event and they said that no booking was made.
Total waste of my time. I have run this event for over 30 parks at 20 different venues and this is the ONLY venue to have let me down.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank JimMaynard
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Attended a wedding here in August. Had a wonderful day. Staff where very professional. The wedding breakfast could not be faulted. We stayed overnight in a superior room. The room was a bit of a let down. The bath panel was cracked and there was black mould spots around the bath. The valance sheet on the bed was quite badly marked and very crumpled. The bedroom walls needed a coat of paint to cover the scuff marks. The room was however very clean. Breakfast the next morning was fine.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WelshMurphy
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Conservatory, dining room and outside areas lovely and very relaxing. Our room as adequate but bathroom very tired. Mould around bath and very dusty radiator not four star. I did not use swimming pool but my partner did and changing area and showers in need of refurbishment.
Breakfast buffet style for cereals and toast, waitress service for cooked. Plenty of choice and generally good although would avoid the scrambled egg which wasn't freshly cooked.Girls serving breakfast lovely - very helpful.
Enjoyed our stay and very convenient for exploring Llandudno and surrounding areas.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed this weekend at the Oriel Hotel. Staff were very nice and welcoming. The conservatory and dining area were very fresh and inviting We had a king size room and it was clean and comfortable. The restaurant wasn't available that evening so we were put in a temporary restaurant. It felt cold and was lacking atmosphere and decoration - think it is usually used as a meeting/conference facility. The hotel is advertised as a spa. We used the pool the following evening. This was only open until 8 although weekdays it is open until 9 which was a bit of a nuisance as we didnt get in there until half an hour before it closed. So it was a very quick dip. It was getting dusk but there were no lighting on. There were a few chairs scattered around one end of the pool but I couldnt imagine sitting there and relaxing. There is one small sauna. To be honest a pool and a sauna does not a spa make!

Breakfast was very good and as I said earlier the staff were very friendly. A little more attention to detail and this hotel would be very good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
The Quay Hotel & Spa
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Deganwy
Premier Inn Rhuddlan

Been to Oriel Country Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!