“Excellent staff”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in St. Asaph
UK
“Excellent staff”
Reviewed 31 January 2009

My wife and I stayed for two nights to visit our severely intellectually disabled son who is cared for in nearby Denbigh. The booking, directly with the hotel, was easy and pleasant and the dinner bed and breakfast rate we were offered was excellent.Our son joined us for all meals and we also used the swimming pool. My wife had a massage. The staff were uniformly excellent. and made us feel really welcome. Our room was large and furnished and equiped to a high standard. Breakfast is very good but the dinner menu dishes are a little overworked .

• Liked — Staff, quality of room, swimming pool (warm and level depth)
  • Disliked — some over working of food for dinner
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2009

The sat-nav gave up half-way along Upper Denbigh Road, but the hotel sign was just a bend in the road away. The Receptionist was very friendly and efficient (once we found her). The room was a bit small considering it was a 'Junior Suite', but the furnishings and bathroom were quality continental style and very, very comforable.
The meal in the evening was excellent. The hotel deserves the rosette ratings. The wine list was good and the service was comfortingly efficient. This was a hotel where you can relax in the knowledge that the staff will look after your needs before you realise you have them!
The Bar closed a bit earlier than we would have liked, but prompted us to have an early night.
Breakfast was very civilised with a massive (20+) choices of conserves and spreads. The smoked haddock and poached egg I chose was perfect.
The automatic toaster, ground away in the corner and hopefully before we return again, will be silenced!
Check-out was fast, friendly and efficient.
Maybe next time we will give ourselves time to use the pool and spa, if they are half as good as the rest of the hotel, then this could be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

• Liked — Quality in all areas
  • Disliked — Noisy toaster in Breakfast Room
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2008

As soon as I heard that the office Christmas Party was in the Oriel House, I was really looking forward to it. I had visited the Hotel on several occasions before for weddings, conferences etc. so I knew roughly what to expect. Imagine my dissappointment then of being squeezed into a room with a couple of hundred and being served below average food, overcooked, cold, tasteless. It was the talk of the office the following week, so it wasn't just me dissappointed. I won't be returning here out of choice again.

• Stayed December 2008
2 Thank Ows
kent
Reviewed 26 October 2008

This is the second time we have stayed at the Oriel House and on both occasions the staff have been friendly and helpful. The room was very comfortable. Our evening meal in the restaurant was of a very good standard with excellent service. A very pleasant place to say and well placed to explore North Wales.

• Liked — spacious
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
devon
Reviewed 14 July 2008

This hotel is good value for the price (especially if you book directly on-line via their website - cheaper than calling them.

Reception was helpful and booking in fine. Room was very clean and quite large. Facilities not used (as only there for 1 night) but looked very good for the hotel size.

There was a wedding and we were warned byu reception but only out of courtesy, so that we did not worry about noise - this was no problem either.

Breakfast was as good, lots of selection and cooked breakfast, cooked to order so very fresh. Service good and younger member of staff on duty on the 10th very helpful even though he was very was busy trying to keep everyone happy.

All very good. Good for 1 nights stay and not that much more expensive than a travellodge or B&B in Rhyl (not recommended after looking around the area - lots of carvans & seaside amusemments!

Stayed July 2008
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2008

Was sent to stay in this hotel after a failure of another hotel to make my reservation.

Looked a little shabby initially in the corridors etc, but had a lovely big room with everything I needed and a good sized bathroom with an excellent shower.

The hotel has leisure facilities, but I didn't use these.

The bar and conservatory was nice and relaxing. Breakfast was a large buffet and was very nice.

• Liked — Modern, comfortable bedroom
  • Disliked — Shabby corridors
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 29 April 2008

I am of that age where I spend the majority of my weekends attending weddings! Luckily for me, I love a good wedding but the negative is that we often spend an inordinate amount of money on hotel accommodation that consists on a pokey bedroom and a soggy breakfast!! So I was very pleasantly surprised with my recent trip to North Wales for a friends wedding.
We stayed at Oriel house in a beautiful new room which was larger than average and found the staff very accommodating despite our late arrival.
The staff and general surroundings are lovely and welcoming and gave us loads of info of what to do in the surrounding areas... unfortunately we didn't have time to do much as I spent most of my weekend at the wedding or in the SPA!!! so we will have to go back again.........

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Asaph
The Beaches Hotel
#2 of 3 in Prestatyn
Ruthin Castle Hotel
Premier Inn Rhuddlan Hotel

Been to Oriel Country Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!