“Fab Holiday x x”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Palmyre-Les Mathes
Camping l'Oree du Bois
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I have read some of the other reviews and am not sure if I have been to the same place.....
There are always negatives and positives and I do feel I have a slightly different view and a few suggestions.
We broke down on the very large blue bridge out side of the area. Green flag called car put on low loader and going to be taken to Range Rover dealership on Mon (this is Fri eve) we were towed to site by the low loader.... We were very tired and upset. On arrival the driver unloaded the van and left, we arrived on site at 19.30 reception closed...But all booking papers were in the bar area with staff.
The owner of the site was called, he came immediately from his home and towed us to our pitch with a tractor he could not speak English but his daughter could and she made every effort to help..Why do we always assume that the world should speak English I wish I had taken the trouble to learn as much French.
We had the pitch with the private shower/toilet + outside wash area.Absolutely BRILLIANT we had 11 other family members flying in over the 19 days we were there and this was a blessing.
Our guest ages were from 8 months to 86 so had a lot of different bathroom requirements, and for camping this was perfect.
Yes there was sand on the pitches some more than others we had two pitches one was very sandy so we covered that with plastic/groundsheets bought from the UK,problem gone, the other pitch was almost clear we pitched tents on this one and it was fine. We selected this site as it was coastal, the french do not concrete there world as we do. The roads in and out and around the site were very good.
Swimming pool....The bridges were high and yes if you were not careful you could come a cropper, the positive was that it stopped the kids from bombing around and knocking you out the way. We did find the floor area slippery when wet and you will need to be careful. Pool area was very clean and most people did not take food or drink in, there was a disabled access gate also. Pool area lovely, more than happy with it. Blue shuts can be quick but that is what you would want.
There is also a outside keep fit area for adults and a park for the children

The shop was better than expected the Man & Lady that ran it made every effort to speak English and were thrilled when you made an effort to speak French, the Guy was even saying See ya tomorrow to us when we left sounded cute but funny ... It was well stocked and Yes a little dearer than the local superU but corner shops over here are very expensive. It is a very good one stop until you do your big shop.

We arrived mid June and Left July 1, It was perfect, we did notice a much livelier atmosphere from June 28, The park was lovely with plenty of chatter on an eve from family's around there camp. late june arrived so did the noise not to much but we were told that Luna Park and the fair ground all open early july and the area is very good for teenagers..............

Food in the bar area. We did not think it was over priced for a holiday resort chicken and mango taco 7.5 euros!! Happy hour 18.30 - 19.30 2.5 euros for a half kar of wine. 8 of us ate (we not big drinkers ) a few had starters and a few had sweet and it came to 90 euro's.
July they open up a take away bar which looked good but it was a little expensive 9.5 euro for a cooked chicken I do not know if this included anything with it, I also don't know how much it would of cost in the super market, I do know that 2 small pieces of cooked chicken pre packed cost 6.95 euro's in the supermarket..

Reception staff - Laura was the most amazing helpful receptionist we have ever met, Her English was very very good and she accommodated everything we asked for even making phone calls on our behalf. There were 2 other girls who spoke good English and apologised if they pronounced anything wrong nothing was to much trouble and all was very very friendly.

As you enter the park there is a caravan on the left Maurice and his lovely Wife own this, they have caravans to rent on the site but they also help with organising arrivers.
I do not believe they are employed by the site but make every effort to help with a smooth holiday. As we had so much trouble with transport they even organised for collection of our family from the airport in La Rochelle as we had not yet received the hire car.
One little issue No BBQ on pitches, this was a pain for us as we had had ours pinched from the van with everything else we owned (brand new delux Cadac) the police new who did it but they had moved on, we spent a few days and hours on the internet to source one as my hubby was cheesed off at the loss of ours, I did laugh when we found he couldn't use it, as sorting the gas was another story I will not share. We did see families bbq'ing in the designated area with the pre built site BBQ"s and it seemed quite social we didn't miss it, but if thats your thing then it will be a problem.

We were treated very well and will be going back next year.

Hope this helps. Happy Holidaying

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Martina2806
There are newer reviews for Camping l'Oree du Bois

Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed here in a ready tent booked through Venue holidays. The campsite is attractive, but the pitches are small and very sandy, not nice yellow sand, black dirty sand which gets everywhere.
The pool complex is first rate, clean, lots of sun beds, good slides and nice and warm. The life guards are a bit bulshy, but i think that is ok, at least you know they are life guarding!
The park area for children is nice, but just a bit too nice, doesnt have a nice sort of feel to it. The toilet facilities are hideous and this in my mind is what lets this site down. The loos are really filthy, excrement on the walls, tiny cubicles, no loo roll and no soap. Even in the pool next to the swimming pool there is no soap or loo roll, so it does make you wonder what germs may have been in the pool!
The entertainment was very French, which of course it should be, but my god was it loud. Every night at 9pm the noise would start, you can hear it all around the campsite and it was very very noisy. There is also quite a busy road near the site as well so you hear a fair bit of traffic. Infact the noise is something that put a bit of a downer on the holiday.
This campsite has the potential to be really good, but i wont go back.

Room Tip: Family campsite, bring ear plugs.
11  Thank warbis66
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We have just returned from this site after two weeks with family, there was ourselves and another family group of four. I will start with the positives !
The swimming pool area is lovely, there is no need to worry if your a man about the swimwear everybody took no notice young or old trunks were worn. The bar area is new and kept very clean and the staff in the bar are friendly and helpfull.
The couple who ran the shop were very nice and there was a good selection.

Now the negatives !!!!
Our shower block was unfortunatly old (they were normally clean I have to say). If you went to shower after 6.30 pm they were FREEZING and you would have to wait until after 8pm for them to have warmed back up. Also you will need to take your own toilet roll as there is none provided and in the two weeks we were there there was no hand wash proived in the toilets by the swimming pool it was left empty.
Swimming pool- well the life guards were very rude and sharp and it seemed to us that if you were British you chould do no right (I did go and complain to the reception about this but was told what did I want her to do about this?). There is no food what so ever in the pool area not even a buscuit one of our family members were told when eating a buscuit that it was her last warning, how rude! but the life guard hung over the rail to eat his. And it appears that if you are French you can take anybodies towels off their sunbeds, even the life guards did this when I was lying on one of our beds when I challanged him he said "well theirs nobdy on it " my reply "well they have had to go out to eat"..
Pitches - Well I hope if you are going you have a small caravan it took 10 adults to manouver our caravan into the pich as their were trees obstructing our pitch. We were next to a 10 foot high wall (which random people kept trying to jump over). The other side of the wall was the main road threw the resort the noise was unbearable you could not sleep for lorries, buses and car horns it was like sleeping on the motorway you got about 3 hours peace in the early hours of the morning GREAT. The pitches are described as sandy well it its very dirty black sand your feet are never clean you have a shower and within 10 minutes their filthy again.
Office staff - I have to say the office staff were fine with us however they have very poor English (I know we should try and speak French) but all entertainment was in French even the welcome party not one word of English was attempted.

Room Tip: Our teenage children did love it as there is a theme park within walking distance
7  Thank mark S
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We have just returned from 2 weeks on this site. The site is quite small with as much crammed into one space as possible. The pitches were really dissapointing. We were in a motorhome and the pitch was just sand and dirty sand at that.

The position was terrible right on a corner so in effect we had 2 open boundries. This would normally not be a problem but with a very active 2 1/2 year old I knew straight away this was going to be some task to try and contain him. I popped down to reception and asked if we could move to another pitch to be told come back in the morning and speak to the manager. My husband did this and the manager didn't even bother to come out of the office the girl just came back and said 'we are full if this is a problem then ring Select Sites'! What they could do about it I don't know so we didn't kick up a fuss and just got on with trying to position the motohome and erect a windbreak to try and form some sort of 'pen' if you like.

BBQ's are forbidden and if this was in the brochure then I would not have booked on this alone. There are numerous BBQ areas throughout the site that are communal, although we are not anti-social by any means we are not into being watched by groups of people all gathering as if they are in there own garden and you are gatecrashing. Hence we didn't use them.

These communal areas are also targets for kids messing around with the fires when everyone has finished, walking into surrounding pitches looking for bits of twigs,pine cones and anything else they could get there hands on that would burn. I had to report them to security one night as my daughter was scared to death (she was in a bonfire night accident a few years ago).

The pool area is fantastic for kids of all ages the slides are good and my girls loved them (5 & 9) they are not monitored you just used common sense as to when it was safe to go down hence there was never a long queue. The toddler area was nice and shallow and pretty well fenced off from the larger pool. It does get quite busy in the afternoons from around 3 onwards. Speedos have to be worn although my husband point blank refuses to wear them so had a pair of black addidas short shorts and it was never noticed. The reason for speedos is supposed to be hygiene but babies and toddlers in the small pool were frequently in there with no swimming nappy on! and one day the pool had to be evactuated due to an 'accident' not a wee wee either, it was funny watching the lifeguard in action!

I totally agree with the other reviewer re the bridges they are a serious accident waiting to happen, our girls were banned from using them. I can now quickly recall 9/10 men, women and children falling on them they are ridiciously steep and very slippy when wet, they should be avoided.

The park area is brand new and great for older children not so much on there for toddlers though. The trampoline is extra though and I never saw one person on it.

The bar area was also new and was kept clean, there is a sheet with all the activities on it this is available weekly. It was very expensive - 2 pints of Stella and 3 bottle of Coke just shy of 20 euro! Pizza takeaway was nice and tasty. The on-site shop was very well stocked and quite reasonable you know you will pay more than a supermarket.

The shower block nearest us was new there were around 7/8 showers a washing machine/dryer an open sink and around 4 cubicles with washbasins in them, this was inside. During rush hours around 5.30-8pm the water was a bit hit and miss trickle and cool avoid these times and powerfull and hot. They are quite a tight fit on the days I had the 5 & 2 1/2 year old it was a struggle to manouvre. There are no family rooms which was a surprise. This block is locked at 11pm and the toilets and dishwashing sinks and outside of this. I wasnt made aware of this and didn't know until I went to collect my clothes from the dryer and it was all locked up - hence an early rise for me to go and retrieve them!

The other sanitary blocks are in need of upgrading the ones around the pool get filthy no loo roll and were frequently in need of cleaning i'll say no more on that!

There is a curfew on the gate into the site this is no entry after 11pm and no exit before 8am. If you arrive after this time from a night out you are advised to park outside and walk in - thats ok if you are not in your motorhome!

During this busy period I have to say it is pretty noisy and kids are not kept under control groups hanging around till way past 10.30pm young kids at that 7 upwards English & French. The entertainment is very loud as previously mentioned and other holidaymakers do not consider others when walking back to there bed.

All in all great pool for the kids, wished we had gone to a smaller site for some peace and quiet and not so many rules and regulations.

4  Thank mylittlechicken
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Stayed in this campsite two weeks at end of July 2011 (2 adults, 13 and 9 yr old). Excellent pool facility, beautiful modern bar/restaurant/enterainment area with some type of entertainment (disco, live bands, karaoke(aahhh), themed food evening (mussels, paella) on every evening, except Saturday??? This was our third year camping and this site ticked alot of boxes i.e. excellent swimming pool (rules re wristband, speedos, no eating/drinking by pool enforced - they also had a policy of collecting "abandoned" towels on sunbeds to free up for people waiting, which was good). Bar/restaurant and outside entertainment area very good. Big supermarkets 5 min drive away. La Palmyre 10 mins drive with very good shopping! Plot size disappointing (tents/caravans get much bigger plots but pay less?) - we were on a bend so once the car was parked there was no area except on the decking. We stayed in a 2 bed mobile and it was fantastic (seemed brand new!) This was first year booking directly with campsite and was a bit frustrated with the €80 cleaning deposit and the rigorous cleaning/inspection that has to be done before you get it back. Spent our last day cleaning, ticking off everything on the inventory list (luckily it was overcast the same day) but seemed a bit much when enough was spent on staying there in the first place. Didnt visit personally, but heard alot of poor comments re the toilet blocks near bar (dirty/no loo paper for 2 weeks we were there) - when considering the mobile cleaning requirement, is a bit surprising!

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank GalwayGirl23
Reviewed 26 July 2011

This site has never ending noise, went up to the entertainment which was ridiculously noisy and you could hardly hear yourself think let alone talk to someone else. However when down at our own pitch it was just right and you could hear the music nicely in the background.

Reception staff were very unhelpful and unpleasant. They seemed to take great delight in saying they could not help you and telling you if you did not like it then you should leave the site and find another one it was not their problem.

Swimming complex and park are both recently refurbished and excellent for the children but around the pool was really slippy and the bridges are too steep to even walk up them.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank TracyGManchester
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I stayed at L'Oree du Bois in August 2010 with my children aged 11 and 10, having booked through Quest En France. I have stayed at the park several times before with my family over the summer school holidays and every year for the last 6 years in May with a friend who owns his own caravan on the park.

The park is excellent - well maintained and has had lots of money invested by the owners on the pool, children's play area, Indian Village, new sanitary blocks, etc over the last few years. The park is big enough to have lots going on, but not so big that it feels impersonal. As has been stated in other reviews, staff throughout the park are very helpful. Daily events are organised by the staff for people to enter into if they wish to - from a football tournament to trips to the market. Evening entertainment is also organised, from muscles and chips night to the Friday night disco.

The bar is pleasant and the restaurant food (served in the bar) is perfectly adequate and at a reasonable price. The takeaway food is also pretty reasonable. It would be nice to have a proper restaurant on site, but with so many in the locality this isn't an issue. The onsite shop covers most things and is not too pricey.

The park is great for children with lots for them to do - from football, basketball, table tennis, the swimming pool, games area, etc - and most importantly from a parents point of view is safe. They can quite safely walk/bike ride round the park in safety and there are lots of other children for them to play with.

When you do want to leave the camp site, it is in a great area for cycling, it has lovely beaches and the food is outstanding.

I would have to take issue with some of the comments made in an earlier review - the park operates a strict security policy in the busy summer months, with security guards on the gates in the evening checking that guests have the appropriate wristbands on as evidence that they should be on the park. They also enforce a strict midnight curfew on noise. Yes the disco does does put out a bit of noise, but it is once a week and always stops at midnight. It is definitely not so loud that you have to shout to have a conversation on your pitch. Neither is the park on a busy 24/7 main road. As to the claim that 35 people fell over at the pool during their stay - well, this is quite frankly ridiculous. The park would have closed down due to lawsuits a long time ago if this was even remotely true. As with all pools, you have to show some sense and there is a lifeguard on duty whenever the pool is open to ensure everyone's safety. I have yet to find a cubicle with drill holes in it - but I will look harder next time I go! I do wonder if they went to the same park???

I would thoroughly recommend the park to people who want a good quality, relaxed site. Many of the static homes on the park are privately owned and you see many families come to the park year on year. This is testament to the quality of the park.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Siblu Villages - Les Charmettes
Siblu Villages - Les Charmettes
#3 of 23 in La Palmyre-Les Mathes
Siblu Villages - Bonne Anse Plage
Siblu Villages - Bonne Anse Plag...
#4 of 23 in La Palmyre-Les Mathes
Les Sables de Cordouan
Les Sables de Cordouan
#9 of 23 in La Palmyre-Les Mathes

Been to Camping l'Oree du Bois? Share your experiences!