“i love club med, but this one is much better if you speek french”

Club Med La Palmyre Atlantique
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I just returned from a lovely week at la palmyre with my wife and 3 kids and parents. it is a wonderful family oriented club with lots of activities, above average food and very pleasant rooms, all set in a very nice beach on the southern atlantic coast of france.

arrival: we arrived at Bordeaux airport about a 2hour drive away. club med does not provide any transportation, you can either take the train to royan and then go by a 30Eu taxi or take a taxi from Bordeaux, we did the latter although it cost a whopping 200Eu. upon arrival we were greeted very nicely but the staff and shown to our rooms.

rooms: the rooms are actually semi detached bungalos. like little houses. we stayed in the family rooms (200s) which have 2 single beds up front, a door(!) and then bathroom, shower and parents room in the back. behind the bungalow is a small terrace although we never used it for anything except drying clothes. the rooms were clean, had adequate towels and amenities, tvs with usb ports. no airconditioning in the rooms, but none was called for when we were there at the hottest time of the year. the main issue with the rooms is mosquitoes. we were all bitten and the kids has tens of bites, bug spray didn't help. I think bug screens may have helped, but they get in through the doors too.

food: wow, lots of food pretty much all the time. the main restaurant has a massive buffet 3 times a day with nice themes and plenty of space. thereis also a sit down restaurant (included in the price), it is a little hard to get a reservation, but it is doable if you are persistent. in addition there are always drinks about and croissants and appetizers going on too, so like I said, we were never hungry.

activities: plenty of stuff. the beach is nice although the water is a touch cold. although it is a public beach which seems quite popular, it was never crowded. the pool is the center of activities and has a nice shallow side area for kids to play in.the sports are typical for club med, tennis, archery, bocci ball, sailing, soccer and basketball. also lots of great running path on and off the beach.

kids club: here is where things started to fall apart for me slightly. the kids club is run in french and only French. don't buy the story that there are go's that speak English, there may be one but the activities are run only in French. all the songs are in French, the messages are in French and the shows are in french. for my daughter (5) this wasn't a big deal, she still had non verbal fun with the other girls, for my 8 y/o son this was effectively a deal breaker and he wound up spending a lot of time with us (which was fine). anyway if your kids don't speak French make sure to specifically mention this to the go's and make sure they keep them in the loop about what is going on. I should specifically mention the multitalented Nicolas who worked with the 4-5y/o who was better than amazing, he took special care of my girl but in general was also energetic, friendly and pleasant. some of the other kids club go's didn't seem so into it.

shows: the show were all performed by amateurs, some better than others. that being said they were fun and entertaining.

so to sum it all up:
pros: very family oriented. they have thought of everything from floaties at the pools to buckets and shovels for the beach. lots of good food. finally, you don't have to think of anything which makes the time very relaxing.

cons: well pretty much only the French issue. only about 40% of the go team speaks English and all the activities are pretty much run in English. it didn't really effect me as I speak French, but it did effect my kids

bottom line: well we had a really nice time. would it have been better if we went to a club med in Italy or Greece, who knows, when I go i'll let you all know.

Room Tip: try and get a room next to the village center. we were in 261 which was way at the end, if we need t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Elliott S

Reviewed 29 June 2013

We (mother, father and three teenage boys) just back from 9 days at la palmyre atlantique club med. We all had a really great time- from superb mountain bike/VTT trips everyday first with GO Nico, then with Mathieu, boules tournaments, archery and beach volleyball agan with Nico. GO Jonathan really good fun with multiple sports activities and very helpful in integrating the boys. Tennis better than ever with the new tennis academy- coaches Anthony and Anouk very supportive. Older boys loved wind surfing and golf. Top marks to the kids club, especially Flavien and Suzanne. Food very good and bar staff good fun, reception staff very helpful and Chef de Village Erick created a great ethos in la palmyre's 10th anniversary year (he has a good taste in music too!!). Love this place- we'll be back.

Room Tip: Prefer rooms away from sea- they are quieter and a little bigger, first floor rooms enjoy a nice sun...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank TheIrishFamily
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Great destination for a family holiday or a group or friends needing a short break. There is so much to try, tailored to all levels - cycling, tennis, fitness, boules, sailing, windsurfing ...the list goes on. Excellent GOs (staff) who are fun and professional, they are a great team who work hard and are a credit to the chef de village, Erick. Thank you for a wonderful break with great food from all 14 of us in our group, ranging from age 9 to 17 and beyond!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cork67
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We were very impressed by the high expectations and attention to details in this club. The GOs are first class always working as a team and available at all time for the well-being of the GMs. Eric ( Chef du village), Tito ( Chef animation) and all GOs and their staff are always on the go and very professional . The activities and shows were of a high standard and we could tell that a lot of work and research went into it. Food amazing and again of high quality. The location is beautiful with immense beaches and a pine forest. The club is eco friendly and extremely clean. Great activities, the Zumba was fun and well taught.
Overall, I would like to say that what we could see in this club was the passion of each member of the village to ensure that your stay was a success. All the GOs are highly dedicated, talented and genuinely interested in making your holiday the best ever. Thank you for that. A special thank you to Laura at the reception for advising me so well and for Tito for being so talented and for having such a drive. An effective and great team. Well done!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqueline J
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I am an American teenager who is currently living in France. I had already been to Club Med in Mexico, so I knew what to expect.I really enjoyed my vacation even with some minor problems.

Arrival- After driving to 6 hours or so to La Palmyre, we were greeted by some GOs (who were very nice and polite). Then when we were showed our room. When we walked into the room we instantly smelt a very strong odor smoke. We did not want to sleep in a room where there was a foul smell pf cigarettes! We complained to the reception and finally got a new room.

Food- I enjoyed the food. When I first saw the food I was very happy because-to my surprise- there was a salad bar! I was very happy because I honestly prefer salads to hamburgers- which my younger siblings loved! My parents also liked that every night there was a different theme though always based on fish or oysters or clam. If you did not come early enough there were not many tables left though^_^

Nature/Biking- We rented bikes and had very pleasant bike rides along the beach and in the woods.

Junior Club- I must say, I think I stayed with the club more than I stayed with my parents>_<. I would really not recommend this resort to kids or teenagers who do not speak French. I am a very sporty girl, so I really enjoyed playing soccer and basketball and archery. I really made some friends(boys and girls). I thought the GOs were really nice too. (Thank you Flavien and Steph!!!!)

TIPS: Go from Sunday to Sunday because all activities start on Monday and you can sign your kids up Sunday afternoon.

I really hope this helps!

Room Tip: It will be easier if you get a room downstairs.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank BlueMoon295
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Club Med Trip Advisor Review

Day 1 arrive
Greeted on arrival and given a map and a timetable of events. All in French I was understandable give me to some confusion over timings and arrangements for activities

Overall, check in was effective and we handed over luggage to be delivered somewhere close to our apartment. Our luggage promptly arrived at the drop off centre about 15 m from the apartment. Where we were then left to carry it upstairs into apartment.

The Club Med Dining experience
In general the quality and choice of food was very good althougt some of thr more French dishes were hit and miss. but just go back to counter a choice something else.
However, the dining experience is let down by the cafeteria type style in the main Atlantic Resturant. it can be a bit of a scrum to find a table at bust times. you also have to share a table normally with some French people who don't ask they just sit down. The tip we learned on day one was when you fun a table put an spoon in your glass. By beware some people ignore this signal and knock your table anyway. On one occasion some people even ask a waitress to clear our table when we were clearly halfway through out

The G.O's like to sit with the guests during meal times however their lack of English conversation is very limited to a few hello's, how are you and is this your first time Club Med. It would be more useful if they asked how are you getting on with the events finding your way around and finding timing and then going off and helping to book activities

Watersport
After two days of windsurfing on my own and struggling to get to grips with the techniques I decided to do the lesson for myself and my son. The lessons can be brewed only one day in advance either at the water sports centre all by going to reception at 9 PM at night from experience of trying to do other bookings I decided to drive to the water centre of the day before to ensure that we were booking for the next day unless it was scheduled for 430 the following afternoon. We arrived from lesson in plenty time presented ourselves to Google and register for a lesson. We then spent some time getting ready now wetsuits and finding the rightsizing like jacket with again no help from GO. after sitting around for nearly 30 minutes watching all the sailors get sorted out with the reports we were then approached and asked what will be there for. When I say again the wind surfing lesson at 4:30 it was a late this point I was told it was too windy and illegal windsurfing lessons today. I was then told that one of the instructors had taken out all the other windsurfers onto catamarans for trips round the bay. We were now too late to go out as it only left.
As you can imagine after sitting around 30 minutes in the sunshine in a wet suit getting very hot I was not best please. We were given no explanation or no opportunity to re- book or do anything else that day we were just give a look as if to say strange English people oversee's don't understand. We had to get changed and come back up to the main centre missing out on the last opportunity we had to take a lesson. My recommendation if you want to do watersports and Club Med learn French and book well in advance and make sure you go to the water centres sent it to book the next day is the best that you will be given priority.

Evening Entertainment
Their is a show every night and they are quite entertianing and mildly amusing especially after a few glasses of wine.

In summary if you want to get the best out of Club Med. Learn French. Be French. Act like the French. All said we are going back next year and booked one in Portugal for Easter.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We have just come back from a perfect week at Club Med Palmyre. Located in the most tranquil location, with beautiful immense beaches. To start with Martine at the reception made us feel at home from the moment we arrived. Our children aged 6 and 7 were anxious to join the mini club which they had great memories of from Club Med Bali and Phuket. The team at mini club here were exceptional: Nora, Sophie, Vanessa, Amandine, Mathieu and Jeremy and even those not mentioned were all so enthousiastic, caring and made the children's holiday a complete sucess! It never felt like a "baby sitting service" it was all about the kids and offerering great sports and activities for them to do. Fred in the sailing department was a star!! He took us for a "close up" view of the children sailing on our first day. We went on the most marvelous bike rides together, great tennis lessons in the morning thank you Alison. The food was devine. My son who has many allergies was spoiled with attention and care from the staff. So I would disagree with the comment about the vegetarian-if this was mentioned to the staff I am surprised they did not accomodate you because my son certainly was with his non dairy and egg diet. Two thumbs up from us- a fab family holiday resort!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med La Palmyre Atlantique, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Dear Great Member,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this review on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at our La Palmyre Atlantique Club Med Resort.

We are really pleased to see you and your family had a good time and that you enjoyed the Resort location, our staff dedication at the reception and the mini club as well as the quality of the food.

We hope to see you again soon in one of our Resorts.

Your Club Med Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Palmyre-Les Mathes
Novotel Thalassa Oleron St Trojan Hotel
Novotel Thalassa Oleron St Troja...
#1 of 7 in Saint-Trojan-les-Bains
#1 of 1 in Medis
Hotel Les Cleunes Oleron
Hotel Les Cleunes Oleron
#2 of 7 in Saint-Trojan-les-Bains

Been to Club Med La Palmyre Atlantique? Share your experiences!