“My stay at Hostel Coco Bongo, Bahia, Ecuador”
Review of Coco Bongo

Coco Bongo
Reviewed 17 June 2014

While visiting Bahia, Ecuador I stayed two nights at the Hostel Coco Bongo. The main downtown shopping area is just two blocks away. The hostel is across the street from Bahia's most beautiful palm lined park. Staying there was quiet and comfortable. Also, the food was great. They serve both American and Ecuadorian breakfasts and real Italian pizza. There is also a wide variety of beers, mixed and blended drinks. Their high speed Internet was a big plus. As far as I am concerned, Bahia is the best place to visit while in Ecuador and Coco Bongo is the place to stay.

Room Tip: I believe the rooms in the back of the hostel are the best choice.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Lo T
There are newer reviews for Coco Bongo

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Clean & Comfortable with a great location. New ownership took over a few months back and the place has a new look and a new vibe. I have been here several times, as I travel to Bahia several times a year. Even if you are just passing through stop by for breakfast, it is well known as the best in town.

This place has always been known for the excellent breakfast, but now they have a pizza kitchen too! It is by far the best pizza in town and at a reasonable price. You don't need to be a guest to enjoy the food.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AaronS605
Reviewed 10 February 2014

As soon as I arrived in Coco Bongo I was made to feel very welcome. The location was really good and it was great to sit outside, have a cold beer and a chat. I shared a dorm room which was clean but, unfortunately, had to leave too early to have breakfast the next morning. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Sally M
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This hostel is in a perfect ubication, restaurants, shops, beach all very closed by. very friendly and helpfull staff, very clean. Good people coming along from town for taking a beer or a nice coffee. Thanks, a had a great stay. If I come back to Bahía I will surely come back to your hostel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yoliboegli
Reviewed 4 October 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AaronS605
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed here a cumulative of 3 nights. Great location. A great vibe. Michaella the manager is wonderful and extremely helpful and friendly!
We showed up without a reservation and were shown a room (dorm w 6 beds) for $8. For the whole time we had the room to ourselves.
Great second floor balcony that overlooks the street.
Great americana breakfast for a good price. We had been craving some eggs and bacon and REAL coffee and we were my disappointed.
The whole place was very clean and the showers warm. This place seems to be the spot that all transplants and English speakers come to hang out. A great place to meet people and hang out over a beer.
Would've stayed longer if we could!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank A_t0mt0m
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I was so happy with this place! The staff is extremely friendly, the hostel was clean, they had hot water and there is a nice little porch you can chill out on. The atmosphere is great with bright colors and tasteful decor. There are tiny lock boxes in the rooms for a passport/money. The location is good and the hostel makes personal recommendations on where you should go to eat.

The last hostel I had stayed at in Quito gave me a map and said- there is food along this road :( (An Aussie) You would think you would want to send people somewhere you know there is good food so that they can truly experience the area, but he couldn't be bothered.

At this hostel, she gave you recommendations and directions and myself and two other women walked together to a great burrito place and were VERY happy with our food!

It's the little things that count, and this place was really good about the little things. After staying in the hostel I did in Quito- this was a breath of fresh air and is still one of the best hostels I have stayed at so far!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Amalur Hostal Restaurante
Sundown Beach Hotel
Sundown Beach Hotel
#3 of 17 in Canoa

Been to Coco Bongo? Share your experiences!