“Hail Caesar”

Dining options: Reservations
Wellington, United Kingdom
“Hail Caesar”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

A really excellent manor house hotel/restaurant/pub in Somersetshire's ham stone country.We enjoyed a friendly reception from a barman/maitre d' who readily and accurately described each of the well kept draught beers on tap and then seated us with the very comprehensive menus for lunch.,Every dish was carefully presented, roast duck, smoked mackerel, and a superb Caesar Salad.....Here was a Caesar! When comes such another........ the best I have had of many. Small crlsp lettuce leaves, crunchy croutons blended with a delicious dressing and locally smoked Chicken topped with shavings of real Parmesan.Perfection in a tranquil setting!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Michael R

Langport, United Kingdom
“Upscale in the Country”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

A city oasis in the country. Many locals find The Devonshire Arms pricey - but you get what you pay for. The food is outstanding.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank ClubCar26
Nantwich
“Lovely place but...”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We have been to The Devonshire Arms before and agree with other reviewers, it is a special place and the welcome is excellent. The first time we went last year the food was also very good indeed. However our experience this week was very different. The place and ambience was still special but the food was average at best. The ceasar salad at £12 was very ordinary indeed, we have had better at half the price, and the cheese board at £6.75 with two tiny pieces of cheese not thicker than the four water biscuits which it came with was almost laughable. I have never been presented with anything like it. The staff were 'concerned' and promised to pass on our views, but it was a night out ruined. I wonder whether this is a restaurant living on its reputation or whether the kitchen staff were just not 'there' for our night.I would have thought that anybody could deliver cheese and biscuits!

• Visited September 2013
Minehead, United Kingdom
“Fantastic weekend!”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Devonshire Arms for the weekend as an anniversary treat. On arrival I was struck by how lovely the village is.

As we arrived before they opened we rang the contact number listed on the website and were greeted and shown to our room very promptly. We stayed in a courtyard room which was lovely and as they only stay open until 11pm we were not overly bothered or disturbed by people outside on the tables in the evening. The room was lovely and very clean. The best bit was the food as it was fantastic. We shared the wood pigeon and dressed salad to start, then I had Hake and my husband had steak. We shall be coming back again soon if only to come for a meal.

Overall a fantastic and relaxing break. Thanks to all at the Devonshire Arms!

• Visited August 2013
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
“Old England at it's best”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Back in the 1950s an English village would have a village green, old church and inn, a village shop and perhaps a small post office. The birds would sing and the sun always seemed to shine. So it was last Sunday in Long Sutton when my partner and I visited the Devonshire Arms for Sunday lunch. My partner was brought up in nearby Langport and had frequented the now much changed Grade ll listed former hunting lodge but I am pleased to say that this was not a case of "never go back as you'll always been disappointed". Long Sutton was charming and unchanged. If Miss Marple had peddled past on her bike with basket and bell I, for one, wouldn't have been even slightly surprised! But the ancient Devonshire Arms has clearly been greatly improved and is now a tasteful dining establishment in the gastro pub mode with cheery efficient staff. On the board near the bar the specials of the day offered grilled plaice with pink fur potatoes and perhaps potted shrimps (it's a while since I saw those on a menu) with griddled bread and leaves to start? My decisions were instantly taken - I didn't need to read the menu! Chris decided to have the mackerel starter and followed that with roast shoulder of pork, which came with a huge Yorkshire Pudding and all the trimmings. The food was all fresh and delicious and my fish perfectly cooked. The mixed leaves served with both courses were in excellent condition and beautifully dressed.

We finished with home-made ice creams, not the traditional chocolate or strawberry flavours but superb praline and honeycomb and a very good vanilla. The bill, which included a bottle of quaffable Italian white, was just over £70. As we sautered back to our car, parked on the side of the village green I said and meant "I could live here" but, just in case that doesn't happen, I'm glad to have discovered the Devonshire Arms, I feel sure that we'll be back there soon.

• Visited July 2013