“Should be in the top 10 Somerset restaurants”

The Devonshire Arms
Ranked #2 of 29 Restaurants in Langport
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Having eaten last weekend in the Devonshire and this weekend at one of the top 10 restaurants (pubs) in Somerset as voted by trip Advisor reviewers, I felt I had to write a review about this place, as it knocks the socks off the top 10 entry.
We were given a warm welcome when we arrived and given time to make our choices. We decided to enjoy a glass of wine sitting on the sofa by the fire before taking our seats at our table and placing our order, which we really liked. Too often we spend £60 on an evening meal and find we are in and out within an hour.
The wine choices were good and reasonably priced. The food again was good and the choices varied and interesting. My husband really enjoyed his steak and I loved my hake. He did say however the steak did not come with any of the 'trimmings' which he would have liked.
We also had deserts and enjoyed them very much.
I do have one criticism and that is the tables set for 2 people are placed far too close together. The people sitting on either side of us could not help but listen to your conversation and vise versa which was rather uncomfortable. The tables were set so close together that to get out and go to the bar/toilet you had to put your bum in someone's dinner. I understand this is all about making money, but I think on this note customer satisfaction has to be more important.
We really enjoyed our meal at the Devonshire and were nicely surprised at the very welcoming relaxed atmosphere and reasonably priced food...we are locals having lived in the area for 10 years, but we have never eaten here before as everyone says how expensive it is and I was always put off by the sports cars parked outside (thinking I would feel uncomfortable in this environment), but in all honesty these preconceptions were unfounded.

1  Thank Well_travelled35_44
There are newer reviews for The Devonshire Arms

Reviewed 17 October 2013

A really excellent manor house hotel/restaurant/pub in Somersetshire's ham stone country.We enjoyed a friendly reception from a barman/maitre d' who readily and accurately described each of the well kept draught beers on tap and then seated us with the very comprehensive menus for lunch.,Every dish was carefully presented, roast duck, smoked mackerel, and a superb Caesar Salad.....Here was a Caesar! When comes such another........ the best I have had of many. Small crlsp lettuce leaves, crunchy croutons blended with a delicious dressing and locally smoked Chicken topped with shavings of real Parmesan.Perfection in a tranquil setting!

1  Thank Michael R
Reviewed 13 October 2013

A city oasis in the country. Many locals find The Devonshire Arms pricey - but you get what you pay for. The food is outstanding.

1  Thank ClubCar26
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We have been to The Devonshire Arms before and agree with other reviewers, it is a special place and the welcome is excellent. The first time we went last year the food was also very good indeed. However our experience this week was very different. The place and ambience was still special but the food was average at best. The ceasar salad at £12 was very ordinary indeed, we have had better at half the price, and the cheese board at £6.75 with two tiny pieces of cheese not thicker than the four water biscuits which it came with was almost laughable. I have never been presented with anything like it. The staff were 'concerned' and promised to pass on our views, but it was a night out ruined. I wonder whether this is a restaurant living on its reputation or whether the kitchen staff were just not 'there' for our night.I would have thought that anybody could deliver cheese and biscuits!

Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Devonshire Arms for the weekend as an anniversary treat. On arrival I was struck by how lovely the village is.

As we arrived before they opened we rang the contact number listed on the website and were greeted and shown to our room very promptly. We stayed in a courtyard room which was lovely and as they only stay open until 11pm we were not overly bothered or disturbed by people outside on the tables in the evening. The room was lovely and very clean. The best bit was the food as it was fantastic. We shared the wood pigeon and dressed salad to start, then I had Hake and my husband had steak. We shall be coming back again soon if only to come for a meal.

Overall a fantastic and relaxing break. Thanks to all at the Devonshire Arms!